Last active: 11 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
ShotgunRagtime's Contact & Social LinksShotgunRagtime
Hello. I haven't really thought it necessary to comment about this topic previously, as I generally enjoy the lenient moderation and casual atmosphere on the forums.

However, I've begun to notice that the amount of WiP (and other threads, to a lesser extent) threads getting derailed by off-topic comments is getting excessive.

I think that WiP threads were designed for mappers to receive quality feedback and encouragement on their maps. Despite this, a vast amount of the posts in any popular WiP thread consist of off-topic jokes and conversations that do nothing but bloat the thread size and make it harder to find quality information. I'm not sure that some people realize it, but it's very rude to the OP and is behavior that is strongly frowned upon on any forum.

It's even more irritating when the derailment is centered around picking on the mapper or another user. Especially since the "picking on" is usually focused on some sort of insignificant detail, such as a poster's use of English or a person's opinion on some aspect of the map.

It's extremely immature and, quite frankly, makes the entire site seem more hostile and less friendly than it actually is. People should be able to make a thread without the fear that it will soon be infested with shitposts and image macros after being up for a couple of days.

I won't deny that, yes, I've made off-topic remarks here and on other forums. Nearly everyone has. But it's getting excessive when one remark snowballs into several more posts of junk before the thread is brought back on track.

So, I would like to RESPECTFULLY ask the mods here to start deleting these off-topic posts instead of just asking everyone to get back on track. I've seen mods delete before, but only in EXTREME cases. I feel like deleting off-topic posts consistently would discourage the behavior in the first place, and also make it much easier to check a WiP map's progress.

Also, mappers, please update your WiP threads by placing the additional info in the OP and updating the title with "New Update! (the date)". This will make it much easier for users to actually know that the thread has been updated, and the info will not get buried.

broken avatar :(
[UGX] Developer
Date Registered: 28 October 2013
Last active: 5 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
UGX Team Member
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
[UGX] Developer
Lukkie1998's Groups
UGX Team Member
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
UGX Chat Moderator Has the ability to mute, kick, or ban chat members for being abusive or breaking the rules of the forum.
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
2015 Participant
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
I really appreciate you've made this topic. This derailing of posts is for every user annoying, and we as staff have been talking about this thing for the past week. We're going to act more offensively to the users who cause the derailment (They are almost always the same users who cause it, *hint*).

Lukkie1998
Date Registered: 25 June 2013
Last active: 9 months ago
Respect
1,024Add +1
Forum Rank
Eviscerator
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
HitmanVere's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
Also, mappers, please update your WiP threads by placing the additional info in the OP and updating the title with "New Update! (the date)". This will make it much easier for users to actually know that the thread has been updated, and the info will not get buried.

Opinion-based. I never tend to update OP, except if I make bigger update. Some people here never look at the OP again, so I just tend to paste image in comments and done. If I would go in and update OP everytime, OP would be size of the China Wall. I like small updates, infact, I update people in chat daily. Not my nature to do big updates
Date Registered: 11 May 2013
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT
Signature
DeathBringerZen's Groups
I am in full agreement with what you have said and can assure you now that this will no longer be an issue.

We are going to be strict with a new 3 strike system. 3 strikes to an account and it will be met with a temporary ban. Another warning after the user returns from this ban will be met with another temporary ban before finally a permanent ban will be issues.

We are sick and tired of seeing a select group of users taking the rules for granted or completely ignoring previous warnings so we will no longer be putting up with it.

We will also be adding a 'New Mapper' section for newcomers can post their first, second or third map without the fear of egotistical users thinking they can mock them for their efforts.

Hopefully this is enough to ease your mind on the current issues plaguing the forum.
[UGX] Maintainer (Admin & Programmer)
Date Registered: 29 August 2012
Last active: 5 hours ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Dolphin!
Signature
changed one line of code, bug is fixed

Coming to work on monday morning.
When a bug mysteriously disappears.

:ugxmods: Developer ;)
Delta's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX Chat Moderator Has the ability to mute, kick, or ban chat members for being abusive or breaking the rules of the forum.
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
Delta's Contact & Social Linksthe-deltaugxDeltaItsDeltaigDelta igdeltaigdeltaUGX_DeltaDelta#6147Personal Site
The mods just said their concern some hours ago as well. ( great timing ^^ )

We are aware that things lately got slightly out of hand and we try to maintain it back into a place for discussion, valid criticism and feedback - without any harsh replies.
Making maps should be fun and feedback should give you motivation / help but it shouldn't make people mad or result into quitting or worse! :C

Btw, the mods are doing already a lot of work to maintain the forum and a big thanks for their awesome work.
( moderating is not an easy job tbh )

We are considering some further steps to improve the situation, ( actually for both sides )
but that will be on our new homepage ( therefore it will take time )

The mods will go with the 3 strike warning system and hopefully this will escalate it a bit.

As usual, leave us your concerns so we can fix it. Feedback is always welcome here and thanks for your kind words.
We are feeling somehow the same - and we want to fix this!
Date Registered: 14 September 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
BE ORIGINAL
Signature
MakeCents's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
I thought the mods were doing a good job on out of control banter. Most of it is just relational development, lol. But I asked previously, and would also enjoy, a more information way of viewing actual updates to maps I am interested in, apposed to this reading through the banter to see if there was an update or not. Some consistency would be nice. And some people do, update with information in the title, so that is nice.
Date Registered: 20 June 2014
Last active: 5 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Personal Quote
Behold the power of Mirror Force
Signature
The greatest failure is not to try and fail, but is to fail without trying.
Ramiabdh's Groups
Ramiabdh's Contact & Social Links
I so wanted to say something like this. Really, in the past 2 or 3 days, "some" people filled the community with nothing but bullshit talk, and I've seen no moderator act except recently. I do sometimes post shitty posts, but that's only rare when I do so, but I never harass or insult anybody, unlike "some" poeple who did so two or three days ago. So please mods, work as hard as you can to maintain the forum, as ugx forum is not a game or joke, we have to show respect.
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Date Registered: 13 August 2012
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Let's keep this thread on topic from here on in. -DBZ

+1 to off-topic reply -DBZ

lmao. Too funny.

Goliath Script Placer: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,11234.msg125257/topicseen.html#new

"...Christ, people. Learn C, instead of just stringing random characters
together until it compiles (with warnings)..."

-Linus Torvalds
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
daedra descent's Contact & Social LinksBlueSoviet
Before you guys(being the moderators) go and start deleting replies you might want to make sure your own ducks are in a row first. I've seen it happen plenty of times where a Forum or Chat moderator would make a off-topic reply or partake in off-topic discussion and it'd just be hypocritical to delete other people's replies while also making off-topic replies yourselves.

Not saying you all do it, but some do.

We will also be adding a 'New Mapper' section for newcomers can post their first, second or third map without the fear of egotistical users thinking they can mock them for their efforts.

So your going to censor potentially valid criticism?  :lol:
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT
DeathBringerZen's Groups
So your going to censor potentially valid criticism?  :lol:

Are you stupid or something? How is it censoring potentially valid criticism exactly?

Edit: To clarify, the 'New Mapper' section will be for people who are new to mapping to post there work and it would be expected of the community to then understand that these mappers are new to radiant and their work my not be up to the expectations some people have so any constructive criticism is welcomed. What is not welcomes is posting memes, GIF's or comments designed to insult the mapper or another user on the forum.

People need to understand that there will be people who will post basic box maps or highly undetailed maps or even maps with broken perks or weapons. It would be the communties responsibility (if they wish to do so) to help the mapper become better by advising them on how to improve.

The way the forum should be to be quite honest.
Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 04:44:35 pm by DeathBringerZen
Date Registered: 20 June 2014
Last active: 5 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Personal Quote
Behold the power of Mirror Force
Ramiabdh's Groups
Ramiabdh's Contact & Social Links
So first, second, and third maps will be released in a separate "new mappers" section. Will the same thing go for WIP topics?

Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 04:51:16 pm by Ramiabdh
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Date Registered: 13 August 2012
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
daedra descent's Contact & Social LinksBlueSoviet
Are you stupid or something? How is it censoring potentially valid criticism exactly?

Because it sounds to me like your going to do an approve only replies for that part of the forum and if a moderator thinks that some criticism isn't valid they might not approve it?

Unless your going to moderate it some other way and i'm just not seeing how. You didn't exactly explain how it was going to work so i was forced to speculate and that was the easiest and most obvious choice.

Serious daedra, don't even start because you are one person who should have been kicked long ago and I would be happy for you to give me an excuse today to perma-ban you.

Start what? It was a valid question.
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT
DeathBringerZen's Groups
So first, second, and third maps will be released in a separate section. Will the same thing go for WIP topics?

It is really just for new mappers to post their first work but sometimes it takes mappers a few maps to get the feel of it all so although not something set in stone yet, I think it would be good to allow a 3 map limit.

There is instances of first time mappers making ridiculously good maps so they don't necessarily need to use this section or if their map is judged to be basic then it would be moved to this section so people who play the maps can understand how experienced the mapper is.

It's still a WIP idea that we need to put thought into. There is issues we would need to overcome or work on but the idea is to have a section where people can post their work without having users abuse them because they feel the map is too basic, small or just have an ego problem and feel they need to mock those less talented.
Date Registered: 21 February 2014
Last active: 11 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
ShotgunRagtime's Contact & Social LinksShotgunRagtime
Thank you everybody for your responses! I'm glad to know that the mods/admins have already been thinking about this. Hats off to you guys, it's very difficult to keep as close an eye on the community as you guys do and make judgement calls accordingly.

Opinion-based. I never tend to update OP, except if I make bigger update. Some people here never look at the OP again, so I just tend to paste image in comments and done. If I would go in and update OP everytime, OP would be size of the China Wall. I like small updates, infact, I update people in chat daily. Not my nature to do big updates
You're right, it is just my opinion. I've just always had a much easier time finding updates when they are in the OP, and assumed others are the same way.
I thought the mods were doing a good job on out of control banter. Most of it is just relational development, lol. But I asked previously, and would also enjoy, a more information way of viewing actual updates to maps I am interested in, apposed to this reading through the banter to see if there was an update or not. Some consistency would be nice. And some people do, update with information in the title, so that is nice.
I feel like this would be a good solution -- perhaps update posts could exist in a separate "realm" than the regular posts?Like the OP could mark one of his posts as an "Update", a little [Recently Updated] tag would appear on the title, and the post would be sent directly below the OP (so updates would essentially all line up, in order of posting, below the OP for easy access). Just an idea tho.
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT
DeathBringerZen's Groups
Because it sounds to me like your going to do an approve only replies for that part of the forum and if a moderator thinks that some criticism isn't valid they might not approve it?

Unless your going to moderate it some other way and i'm just not seeing how. You didn't exactly explain how it was going to work so i was forced to speculate and that was the easiest and most obvious choice.

Start what? It was a valid question.

Next time then ask it in a more valid way than posting some throw away comment with a  :lol: at the end of it.

I explained above the purpose of the section but to answer your question, no we would not approve replies but would just moderate the replies as usual. If people post abusive responses they will be met with a warning.

It's common sense at the end of the day and if people are too stupid to understand then they deserve to be banned. This is a forum where people are supposed to share their maps, ideas, advice and criticisms without name calling, back stabbing or general bullying. People should not be asking us to delete their WIP threads because they are ashamed of their work, yet here we are... 3 mappers with deleted WIP threads in the last few weeks because they were humiliated.

Quite sad really.
Date Registered: 27 August 2012
Last active: 4 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Custom Map Reviewer
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Tommy Wonka & the Idea Factory
tomikaze's Groups
Custom Map Reviewer Has permission to post map review topics in the Custom Map Reviews section of the forum.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
Hey Stevie, if you're listening, what say we just delete our profiles now and go fishing or something. No sense in delaying the inevitable  :)

On a side note, I do understand the need to tighten up the reins a bit.

Loading ...