Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
If you want scripts / features made for you, then contact me by PM or email / skype etc
it will cost you tho so if you have no intention of reciprocating don't even waste my time ;)
Harry Bo21's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Harry Bo21's Contact & Social Links[email protected]HarryBo21HarryBo000
I learned a majority of this from Stevie, credits to him ;)

Memory Limit - and what you can do about it

Overview

This will cover the "Call of duty is not responding" - followed by physical_memory.cpp error in the developer console that is open behind waw after crashing.

This, my amigos - is the dreaded memory limit...

This is not a image limit, sound asset limit, fx limit, or even a map problem ( usually ) - its the overall engine memory limit. Its telling you you've loaded that many assets, the engine literally couldn't fit it all in to its over-all total allowance of memory.

I see this question posted a lot ( and have a considerable amount more asked to me via private messaging lol ), or worse yet, I see a lot of people "assuming" they are at their limits due to "having loads of stuff" - when that's not even close to what they "could" have if memory was managed better

For example, I would contend for anyone to say "I simply have too much in my map" - and compare it to my test map, with like 100 features will full fx and sounds, plus like 80 guns, or Stevie's Oil Rig. It may seem extremely tedious - but you can always make some asset room. ;)

So I thought id write up this little guide. Started this while at work so dont have access to my mod stuff, so for now will be a generalization. Later however, I will add some better explanations, pictures, etc.

Zone Source Files

The first thing to attempt to make some room, commenting things out of your zone_source files, this ones pretty easy

Commenting the lines in a script makes the engine completely ignore it, so assets that you comment out will not be loaded at all.

There are a number of files from this folder that get loaded into your mod, you can see which by looking in

Code Snippet
Plaintext
root/zone_source/MAPNAME.csv
root/zone_source/MAPNAME_PATCH.csv
root/zone_source/MOD.csv // This one is created "from" the one in root/mods/YOURMOD/mod.csv everytime you compile

You will see in these files, they load assets, but they also call other entire csvs. Which i think is where people get confused.

You can either comment out the call to that csv entirely ( meaning none of those assets will be loaded ), or go and open that csv yourself, and comment things out "one at a time".

I tend to copy the csvs and give them a new name, leaving a unedited copy, then change the calls to those csvs in the above listed files. That way, making a new map, will not be effected be these changes, as future maps will still be created with a csv calling those "original" csvs, rather than the ones you made.

To comment things out just put :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
//

before it, like so :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
fx,harrys/thundergun_cell_1
// fx,harrys/thundergun_cell_1

Soundaliases

Ok, this one can be a bit confusing for some people, again as there is one thing that's never really mentioned anywhere ive looked.

Soundaliases called in root/zone_source/MAPNAMEcsv or root/zone_source/MAPNAME_PATCH.csv are ONLY updated when you compile your "map" or "maps patch", not just "build mod".

Build mod compiles just the mod.csv from root/mods/YOURMOD, not the other files contained in root/zone_source.

Code Snippet
Plaintext
MAPNAME.csv is compiled when you compile map
MAPNAME_PATCH.csv is compiled when you compile your patch
MOD.csv ( created from the copy in your mod folder, every time you compile ) is compiled when you "build mod"

The first and most memory hogging soundalias to explore is :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
root/raw/soundaliases/weapons.csv

Almost everything in here is useless to be completely honest. Hardly anyone actually uses WaW stock sounds, and even if you do, you still dont need much of this. To comment out of "soundaliases" you would put this instead of "// "

Code Snippet
Plaintext
#

so like this :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
SOUNDNAME,,SOUNDFILEPATH,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
#SOUNDNAME,,SOUNDFILEPATH,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

you can easily see how much impact its had, be recompiling your map, then go to :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
root/mods/YOURMOD/

and compare the file size of :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
MAPNAME.ff
MAPNAME_PATCH.ff
MOD.ff

Check before and after, you will see the file size decrease as you go.

Removing Weapons

This ones pretty simple, just again not made very clear anywhere.

stock weapons are loaded from the root/zone_source files, specifically :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
root/zone_source/dlc3.csv

in here you will find every stock gun used in zombies listed like so :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
weapon,zombie_colt
weapon,zombie_colt_upgraded

you would simply comment them here :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
weapon,zombie_colt
// weapon,zombie_colt

and again, you've changed a "zone_source" file, and ones that's compiled when you "compile the map", not build the mod. So you will need to recompile your map for this to take effect, again effecting MAPNAME.ff file size

the DLC3 weapons IWD can come out too i'd say, all it does is increase your download size, but has no bearing on anything else. Any stock guns you "do" want, you can just copy the weapon files into your mod instead ( root/mods/YOURMOD/weapons/sp/ ) - this is a good idea to prevent "conflictions". If you had your own zombie_colt, this way ensures the one you see in game is "your" one and not the one in the DLCweapons.iwd in error.

Removing guns, also removes the anims/models/fx, as well as the weaponfile and its stats itself, that gun was loading in its weapon file. So again a pretty big impact.

Keep in mind though, some of these weapons are called through script - most obvious is pulling out a colt in last stand or if you pack a punch while only owning one weapon - these will need to be updated to reflect this, or you will get nothing when you should have been given that gun, and will prob freeze your controls from that point on.

Images

I added this just to confirm - IRRELEVANT.

if you put 2000 images in your mod, but only one of them is actually used, sure the "download" size of your mod will be larger, but those 1999 unused images will just be ignored by the engine.

Mod.csv in Launcher

Try not to load things twice, and be aware of other things loading these things else where. Example - if you placed a guns world model in the map somewhere, that model is loaded already, you do not need it in mod.csv as well. Or adding your own "zombie_colt" - its already being called in the zone_source/dlc3.csv.

Double loading a sound csv will literally annihilate your memory usage too... double loading weapons.csv is insta game explode!

Making sounds smaller

Ok, I hope a lot of you realized this, I saw it straight away lol.

So a player quote in WaW is what, 250kb?

yet...

Convert a BO2 quote, your hitting numbers like 900 - 1500kb?

The easiest and BIGGEST way to free up memory I have found to date, was by making all my custom sounds smaller, using the following method :

I open the sound in audacity.

If there are two channels of sound, you only want one. Stereo spams the developer console with errors if used in 3d for one, and increases the file size as well -  there's really not much difference you'd even notice between the two. Especially if the trade off is a bunch more guns, people will happily ignore some minor degradation in some extremely quick audio.

Step 1 : Change stereo ( multi channel ) to mono ( one channel )
Step 2 : Reduce Bit rate to a acceptable but lower quality
Step 3 : Consider making this sound a 8 bit, if no sound plays in game, change it back to 16

The little box in the bottom left, BitRate, should be on 48000 by default, it does not need to be this high, this is not cinema viewing ;)

Reduce it, but listen to the sound itself to make sure it doesn't degrade too much, some sounds suffer more that others

When you export, you can also select 8 or 16 bit. 8 bit is smaller, but will not "always" work in game, so keep that in mind if a sounds suddenly "stops" working.

Using this i literally knocked about 25,000 kb off my perks download, as people really couldn't fit it all in before. This also allowed me to fit in another 20 of my guns i had temporarily removed just so I could get some work done lol.

Using downloadable FF files

I feel i must answer this question at least 4/5 times a day...

No... you cannot "combine FF files", nor can you "pull out just the part you need", nor can you use 2 with the same name, nor can you just "rename" a "localized_MAPNAME" FF to "MAPNAME_patch"...

^ These things are not possible ^

FF files are "pre-compiled", just means someone has the raw files, they compile it through Launcher, it then pops out at the end as FF files. Meaning these files will never need compiling again. As long as you put the FF in that mod, and name it correctly, those FF assets will be loaded.

There are no means to extract sounds or models from these files. You can pull the scripts and other minor things, but not the "bulk" of what you need.

When some one provides a FF, its because it contains all the assets for that particular thing, so :

The zombie model packs - contain all the xmodels for the new zombies. You do not actually "have" the raw files by using this, you have the "compiled" files

Perk packs - Well I know mine contains - weaponfiles/sounds/scripts/animtrees/models/animations/fx/rawfiles/visionfiles/ and probably way more

Entire MODs - have just about everything in them... impossible to cover, example is the UGX mod, you cannot "dis-include" parts you decide you don't want. They are loaded in that FF. So they are loaded - period

You cannot - I repeat CANNOT - combine, edit, change, remove, splice or anything else to FF files

If you need a custom version "of" a FF file, you need to go to some one who actually has the RAW files of what you need, so that they can then "compile" them again, with or without whatever else you needed/needed to cut/add.

The ONLY other way, is to get the raw assets yourself, and load them the normal way, into your mod.csv in Launcher or something.

There are limited FF file names that you can use, the most common is :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
"localized_MAPNAME.ff"

but people also "add" stuff to the patch files too, as we all have the stuff that normally goes in them, so its easy to "add" to that :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
"MAPNAME_patch.ff"

You may see in my perk download, i included copies of both patch and localized FFs. 10/15 times people have come to me over a "instant crash" its coz they were silly and included "both" in their mod DOUBLE LOADING EVERYTHING. So im gonna list some potential issues :

# Removed FF, but still crashing :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
= Go check users/appData/activision/Call Of Duty 5 World at War/mods/YOURMOD
= Delete the FF files here, these are the ones actually used when you play, they may have not been removed/replaced before, or :
= Delete the whole thing if your unsure if your doing the right thing, youll get it back when you compile again

# Models not loading in game, default zombie models, Moss covered perk machines, get frozen controls when i try to use whatever i added :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
= The FF has not even loaded

= If you are using a _patch, odds are you copied that to your mod folder - then compiled your patch - which then deletes it again. Then creates a standard one in its place

Literally EVERYTIME ive seen people have issues with Bams perks, that has been why. They either added it to appdata instead of "root", meaning when they "build mod" it over writes it, or they compiled their patch again, again over writing it... or added it to the root/mods, but did not "build mod" after so was never copied to "appdata"

= Youve named the FF wrong

If you map is called nazi_zombie_perktest for example :

localized_nazi_zombie_perktest.ff
nazi_zombie_perktest_patch.ff

If the name is incorrect in anyway at all, itll be ignored

= Youve overwritten two FFs with the same name

Most common example of this i see is people using the "localized" FF with my perks, with the "localized" file with the zombie model downloads you can find here on UGX. You "cannot" have both, and simply renaming one "_patch" is not going to help, as itll be missing the "other" things that are compiled into the patch files custom or regular

Another thing to consider, is that the FF files are not counted towards the asset counting app you can download here on UGX. This checks what raw files your adding, not what compiled files already exist in a FF, nor would it know how to find them.

So If you add a .ff, and then get instant crashes. That's NOT the FF files fault, you NEED to make more room if you want to use these assets. Plain and simple. Theres nothing "wrong" with the FF, its just that FF combined with your maps other resources, has taken you over the "overall" memory limit.

The only other option is to get the raw files from the OP, or have them make you a custom FF. But honestly pulling resources can be harder than you think.

I for one have the following problems

Spoiler: click to open...
* My GDT seems to be corrupted, meaning i can convert just fine, but if i "save" the GDT, it just crashes. Im copying it over to another GDT - but cannot convert those assets until i remove the old GDT, as they conflict. Imagine what a pain in the ass that is

* Its not all in one GDT, I have shit tons

* I have to go through each material, to find out the material names, I have to look in ass viewer at whats written in the bottom right... one... at.... a... time...

* there are things i have moved "since" i converted them that i need to find again

* Its really easy to miss stuff. For example, i have to actually open each fx, and go through each segment, to check for what materials are used in that fx. Without them, youll just be seeing black squares...

^ Honestly to do this right takes days, and before anyone mentions these automatic resource movers, every one ive tried has missed some aspect of what i needed, meaning i end up having to go through it anyway. I dont find them useful at all, if anything they just complicate matters for me

Tricks with models

One example of this is with duplicating meshes on the weapon models and using "hide tags" in the weaponfile to hide the irrelevant one.

one good way to reduce the amount of models your using is to add the "pack a punch camo covered parts" and "attachments" of a upgraded gun on to the normal one, so the result is just one model. Then use "hide tag" to hide those parts. Then you can use the same model, for upgraded and downgraded, and just edit the "hide tags" in each ones respective weaponfile instead. This is good for high poly guns. Pack a Punch textures are usually only applied to "parts" of the gun, rarely the entire thing.

Tricks with Weapon Files

Best example i can think of here is, why have 13 perk bottle weapon files?

Weapon files are not limited to having one set of models ( by "set" i mean view/world model ).

A weapon file can store up to 15 sets of models.

Open the weapon file in a text editor, youll find these in there somewhere :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
gunmodel\bo2_t6_zm_wpn_m1911_view\
worldmodel\bo2_t6_zm_wpn_m1911_world\

now this next part may already be there, if not you can just add it, but every file ive checked already had these in, they were just left blank :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
gunmodel\bo2_t6_zm_wpn_m1911_view\gunmodel2\bo2_t6_zm_wpn_m1911_gold_view\
Code Snippet
Plaintext
worldmodel\bo2_t6_zm_wpn_m1911_world\worldmodel2\bo2_t6_zm_wpn_m1911_gold_world\

Now if you use in a script to give a weapon :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
player giveWeapon( "WEAPONFILENAME" );

Its "always" going to give you the first set, but if you used this instead :

Code Snippet
Plaintext
player giveWeapon( "WEAPONFILENAME", 1 );

You would give the same weapon, but using the "second" set of models in the weaponfile, etc.

If you select to use models that you didnt actually add in the weapon file, it defaults back to the first set of models in the weapon file.

so if you need a way of having multiple camos for guns, this is one method, but also loading 13 entire weapon files, takes a LOT more memory that one weapon file with 13 models in it.

Well I hope some found this helpful, Like I mentioned ill add more and more to this as and when I find stuff, or find better ways to explain. Ill add some pictures and videos and stuff at some point too. For now tho, hopefully thisll help a few of you out. I realise a lot of people are hitting memory limits with my perks, im still finding ways to reduce the FF file size, mostly using methods ive listed here. But there will be more to come ;)
Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 02:49:57 am by Harry Bo21
broken avatar :(
Date Registered: 25 June 2013
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
1,024Add +1
Forum Rank
Eviscerator
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
HitmanVere's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
Could also add a note about importance on this with using CFGWeapons ;)
The King of Zombies
Date Registered: 24 June 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Donate to me if you enjoy my work. https://www.paypal.me/thezombiekilla6
Dust's Groups
Dust's Contact & Social LinksMrZ0mbiesFanaticdust103194MrZ0mbiesFanatic
I didn't know about that weapon file trick. Thanks for pointing that out!
Date Registered: 14 September 2013
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
BE ORIGINAL
Signature
MakeCents's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
Code Snippet
Plaintext
player giveWeapon( "WEAPONFILENAME", 2 );

You would give the same weapon, but using the "second" set of models in the weaponfile, etc.

Unless I do things differently some how, you mean the 2nd as in 0,1,2... the third?

gunModel/..../gunModel2/.....gunModel3/.......
       0                     1                     2   <-----Will give you this one

Code Snippet
Plaintext
Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:13:37 am by MakeCents
Date Registered: 17 January 2014
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
Unless I do things differently some how, you mean the 2nd as in 0,1,2... the third?

gunModel/..../gunModel2/.....gunModel3/.......
       0                     1                     2   <-----Will give you this one

Code Snippet
Plaintext
lol, nope your right

just blind oversight on my part there lol

Ill edit it

* edited - thanks for highlighting that for me :)
Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:23:48 am by Harry Bo21
Date Registered: 4 August 2015
Last active: 7 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
jrascov's Groups
jrascov's Contact & Social Links
I have been chipping away at my csvs and I have no idea if I am close or not to lowering the amount of assets/size of the file in the mod I am using to test your Perks 3.0.1 pack. Currently my game crashes with only your 3.0.1 perks with the MAPNAME.ff at 29.9 megabytes.  :'(
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
I have been chipping away at my csvs and I have no idea if I am close or not to lowering the amount of assets/size of the file in the mod I am using to test your Perks 3.0.1 pack. Currently my game crashes with only your 3.0.1 perks with the MAPNAME.ff at 29.9 megabytes.  :'(
you can see how large your part of it is by the other FFs

Mod.ff
YOURMAPNAME.ff
YOURMAPNAME_patch.ff

To get this in a stock map, i had to cut about 8 guns, but with more management, you can fit them back in

Also removing sounds from root/raw/soundaliases/weapons.csv will have quite the impact. You hardly need any of it

Make sure your recompiling your map, not just building mod, as any changes to MAPNAME.csv in zone_source, take effect when recompiling the map - then rebuilding the mod
Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 05:20:40 am by Harry Bo21
Date Registered: 7 March 2014
Last active: 1 month ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
UGX Site Moderator
My Groups
More
More
MZslayer11's Groups
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
MZslayer11's Contact & Social LinksMZslayer11Service_Code_30#2655
I tend to copy the csvs and give them a new name, leaving a unedited copy, then change the calls to those csvs in the above listed files. That way, making a new map, will not be effected be these changes, as future maps will still be created with a csv calling those "original" csvs, rather than the ones you made.

Where are the zone_source files called from? This is something I want to do ^
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Date Registered: 13 August 2012
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Let's keep this thread on topic from here on in. -DBZ

+1 to off-topic reply -DBZ

lmao. Too funny.

Goliath Script Placer: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,11234.msg125257/topicseen.html#new

"...Christ, people. Learn C, instead of just stringing random characters
together until it compiles (with warnings)..."

-Linus Torvalds
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
daedra descent's Contact & Social LinksBlueSoviet

The name of your map's fastfile.

AKA, <mapname>.csv. <mapname>_patch.csv is independent of <mapname>.csv.
Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 02:25:27 am by daedra descent
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups

basically, I just copied the contents of a mapname.csv into a new csv, then went through and changed it to take out the unneeded assets, commented out the soundalias calls etc, replacing them with my own

then when i create a new map, i can just go comment out or delete whats in that csv and include my new one

include,harrys_super_special_csv.csv

or you can copy the contents "of" your special csv into the newly created one, when you create a project in script placer

lol ;)

Zone source files call other csvs and load assets ( mapname also compiles the map in there somehow too, thats the only "different" one that comes to mind ), and i think the compiler always looks for the one named the same as your map ( when compiling map) or the one named the same as your patch ( when compiling patch ) - so i dont think you can change which one will be loaded, but you can set yourself up just once, and copy that into your future projects

Only thing ill say is it takes a while - but once its done, its done. Wont need to do it again as you can copy this over. I only realized recently the dirt fx that risers do was commented out of mine in some csv i never found lol. I just added the fx to my zone_source.csv "again" to get it back

Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:28:05 am by Harry Bo21
Date Registered: 14 September 2013
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
BE ORIGINAL
MakeCents's Groups
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
Enlightening tutorial. One question about commenting a csv:
In a normal gsc file the following will comment out multiple lines
Code Snippet
Plaintext
/*
Ignored text
More ignored text
*/

Is similar syntax possible for a CSV?

No. If you do it, you'll see the errors when you build mod.
Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:53:43 pm by MakeCents

Loading ...