Community Mapper
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
Embers are the new lens flares
chromastone10's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
chromastone10's Contact & Social Linkschromastone10chromastone1chromastone10
It seems now days new mappers just seem to make a box map for there first map and release it out of excitement, and I know that feeling but it does mean many not so good maps are released, and looking back and thinking about it made me come up with some ideas I wish I would have known/done for making my first map.

A few tips to start when it comes to mapping, taking things from other peoples maps without permissions is wrong, always ask, post a help topic if needed, that is a good thing to know when starting. Otherwise you could get into fights or some websites will remove your map or ban you. Another thing is if you use a tutorial make sure to just keep a simple text document of credits to people and the tutorial you used, this will be really helpful and less stress when releasing the map, now onto map tips.

For making your first map this is what I highly suggest you do

1. Make a layout, add some rooms and doors and working zones and zombies and what not, just give it some basic layout, it doesnt have to look good and try to think about treyarch maps and how they layout there perks

2. Now before you get super excited and release the map..... dont.... instead, DELETE your map

3. Now come up with a theme, a lab, office, park, house (though that's been done a lot) and stick to the theme

4. Then completely redo your map with the same general layout in mind, this time it should be easier because you have the basics down and you have a theme to follow along with, now you're probably thinking "why didnt I just do a theme the first time?", thats because you didnt know the basics and where or how to start, but now you do. Also try to add some verticality if you map doesnt have it already with upstairs, downstairs, drops and what not.

5. (optional) If you want the map to be even better you can delete it again and this time when redoing it add detail to it if you havent done so on your first redo already, always ask for help if you need it like weapons and stuff because honestly if you want some GOOD black ops weapons or whatever, people will want to see your map, and if it looks like a crappy box map nobody is going to want to support that map or let people use their features in it.

these are just some tips I wish I had known/done when I started and I hope I could help some new guys out :)

If any other pro mappers want to give some support/tips to new mappers feel free to leave them :D
Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 01:15:41 pm by chromastone10
broken avatar :(
Date Registered: 25 June 2013
Last active: 10 days ago
Respect
1,024Add +1
Forum Rank
Eviscerator
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
HitmanVere's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
Ech, I dont support always deleting your map, for my first map, I was doing basics and such, then it got cancelled  :poker: Second map I did, success in the eyes of some, now Im making third one and it will be best out of them. But yeah, work on map like you would work on, for example, degree of some sort, more time working on it, the better and higher rate to success
Date Registered: 8 January 2014
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
chromastone10's Groups
more time working on it, the better and higher rate to success

this is also a really good tip, thanks for contributing hitman :D
  • n123q45
  • Deleted Member
n123q45
This user is deleted :(
Some tips you forgot...
  • Always test your map untill at least round 15
  • Have another person test it both solo and with someone else ( Dont go overboard with testers *cough cough* @chromostone10 *cough cough* )
  • Research the time/setting that your map sets place in. ( Theres manny maps where models are there just to fill in space and they dont belong there )
  • If you have an issue, either look it up or ask for help. NEVER RELEASE A BROKEN MAP!
Date Registered: 28 July 2013
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
Pizza that is all.
Signature
There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap.
SoulTaker's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
SoulTaker's Contact & Social Links
Don't get why you have to delete your first map. To me that's a early stepping stone and you can look back and see what you've improved on. :P
Date Registered: 8 January 2014
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
chromastone10's Groups
Don't get why you have to delete your first map. To me that's a early stepping stone and you can look back and see what you've improved on. :P
you dont have to necessarily delete it but start over because the brushes/layout on the first one usually isnt to good
UM Member, Mapper and 3d Modeler
Date Registered: 8 February 2014
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Port Arthur
Signature
pashan's Groups
great topic +1,  I wish there was something like this when i started. NOw i have released like 9 maps, and 6 of them are piles of shit.

tip;

don't release every single room u make in radiant (that was my mistake)
Date Registered: 28 July 2013
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
Pizza that is all.
SoulTaker's Groups
SoulTaker's Contact & Social Links
you dont have to necessarily delete it but start over because the brushes/layout on the first one usually isnt to good
That's what I do I was not happy how my map turned out so I decided not to release it and just start over and take the things I like and re work it.
The King of Zombies
Date Registered: 24 June 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Donate to me if you enjoy my work. https://www.paypal.me/thezombiekilla6
Dust's Groups
Dust's Contact & Social LinksMrZ0mbiesFanaticdust103194MrZ0mbiesFanatic
Great post chroma! The biggest tip I always give people who ask how to get started with mapping, I always say NEVER release your first map, I always think of first maps as learning experiences, maps that you cram stuff with and test different stuff and see what works and doesnt work, learn how to properly set up zones, zombies, and general stuff like that. Then when you think you get the hang of it, start over and only add stuff that fit your theme and that is more than a box map.

And test your maps both solo and coop, some bugs that you dont find in solo you may experience in coop and vice versa. Spend 2-3 weeks testing it every single day if you have to. I am tired of seeing broken maps getting released(and what is the whole point with the money bombs being broke on half the maps now, seems like it happens when someone adds bams vulture aid and electric cherry but thats a rant for another topic).
Date Registered: 28 September 2013
Last active: 4 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
conn6orsuper117's Groups
conn6orsuper117's Contact & Social LinksConn6orsuper117ITS-CS117
Thx Chromastone. This will buy me some time with my first map.
  • DeletedUser
  • Deleted Member
DeletedUser
This user is deleted :(
Jammy started Celtic as his 1st .map (nazi_zombie_subway), and it turned out amazing... guess some people have a gift...
Date Registered: 4 August 2014
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
MechromancerX's Groups
MechromancerX's Contact & Social Links
Yeah some peoples first map is a good one right from the start.
I am also working on my first map (that will be released, i made a map before to learn the basics).

Maybe very helpful: I sometimes take a break when i think my mapping is always done, it gives some time to rest and gather new ideas. And than, i realise it is far from finished and continue :) .
[UGX] Developer
Date Registered: 28 October 2013
Last active: 6 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
UGX Team Member
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
[UGX] Developer
Lukkie1998's Groups
UGX Team Member
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
UGX Chat Moderator Has the ability to mute, kick, or ban chat members for being abusive or breaking the rules of the forum.
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
2015 Participant
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
Second map I did, success in the eyes of some, now Im making third one and it will be best out of them.
Shall we not discuss this :D

And Chroma, I totally agree with you on deleting your first map. The people who have a gift (Like Hex Reapers already mentioned) will never make a map like nazi_zombie_school  :alone:

Lukkie1998

Loading ...