Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
ShotgunRagtime's Contact & Social LinksShotgunRagtime
Hello!

This is an issue I've subconsciously noted for a long while, but never paid much attention to. It's the glaring lack of exposure maps/mods are getting in the "Releases" subcat.

The issue is simple: this subcat uses the same format as the rest of the forum (threads with recent posts going to the top, dead ones getting buried). This format causes old maps to become "lost" amongst newer ones, often appearing several pages back from the front page.

This absolutely cripples a map's visibility in the long run. I noticed that maps on ZM often have SIGNIFICANTLY more views and downloads compared to ones on UGX -- I doubt that's just because of the larger userbase. It's probably a result of all ZM maps being organized into categories that can be viewed easily at any time without getting lost amid dozens of other threads.

I'd just like to urge site moderation to make a new "Release" section that's similar to ZM's -- it will allow more people to play more quality maps. Thanks for your concern.
broken avatar :(
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
This user is deleted :(
What do you propose? Like separate 'Large/Medium/Small/Box' map sub-sections?
Date Registered: 7 March 2014
Last active: 2 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
UGX Site Moderator
My Groups
More
More
MZslayer11's Groups
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
MZslayer11's Contact & Social LinksMZslayer11Service_Code_30#2655
It would be nice to filter or sort the maps at the top of the board. like for instance, sort by Date Released, Most Downloaded, Least Downloaded, Average User Rating (add a 5 star rating system to every release topic). This way, it would give you more coverage rather than seeing only the newest releases. Also, I think release topics should never be locked.
Date Registered: 25 June 2013
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
1,024Add +1
Forum Rank
Eviscerator
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
HitmanVere's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
It would be nice to filter or sort the maps at the top of the board. like for instance, sort by Date Released, Most Downloaded, Least Downloaded, Average User Rating (add a 5 star rating system to every release topic). This way, it would give you more coverage rather than seeing only the newest releases. Also, I think release topics should never be locked.

You mean like pressing these:

:poker:
Date Registered: 21 February 2014
Last active: 11 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
What do you propose? Like separate 'Large/Medium/Small/Box' map sub-sections?
Yes, something similar to that.

Doesn't have to follow the same format as ZM exactly, though -- I feel a good way to organize categories would be like:

-- Most Popular (most views of all time)
-- Hot (most views recently)
-- Classics (maps 1+ years old)
-- Featuring UGX mod
-- Vanilla WAW
-- Custom Features

etc. etc.

As MZ pointed out, a rating system would be great, as then you could have another category for maps with high ratings.

Honestly anything is better than having maps get buried after a month on the forum, forgotten.
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
This user is deleted :(
Yeh I requested a rating system ages ago, I think it would be a great idea.
The Voice in your Eyes
Date Registered: 26 June 2013
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Breton boys do what Breton boys do.
Alerion's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
That's what the UGX Launcher will take care of.
There you'll be able to see, filter, rate, etc. maps as much as you want. And as soon as the work on it is done the process of getting ones map on there will be way more fluent as it is right now.
Date Registered: 21 February 2014
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
That's what the UGX Launcher will take care of.
There you'll be able to see, filter, rate, etc. maps as much as you want. And as soon as the work on it is done the process of getting ones map on there will be way more fluent as it is right now.
Yes, but the problem is that we have no reasonable estimate of when this will actually happen.

UGX team is obviously very busy with IRL stuff, and I'm sure pushing 1.1 out is top priority. It might be months before the Map Manager receives such a comprehensive update.

I'm proposing a quick fix (a band-aid) that can hopefully be carried out by site mods/admins in significantly less time.
The Voice in your Eyes
Date Registered: 26 June 2013
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Breton boys do what Breton boys do.
Alerion's Groups
The Launcher has a very high priority actually and MIGHT be out very soon, at least before 1.1 comes out.
I do see what you mean and understand that the forum side of the map management is kinda outdated but I think there is a chance that this will actually be taken care of along with some other updates on the forums (afaik).
[UGX] Developer
Date Registered: 28 October 2013
Last active: 5 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
UGX Team Member
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
[UGX] Developer
Lukkie1998's Groups
UGX Team Member
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
UGX Chat Moderator Has the ability to mute, kick, or ban chat members for being abusive or breaking the rules of the forum.
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
2015 Participant
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
Yes, but the problem is that we have no reasonable estimate of when this will actually happen.

UGX team is obviously very busy with IRL stuff, and I'm sure pushing 1.1 out is top priority. It might be months before the Map Manager receives such a comprehensive update.

I'm proposing a quick fix (a band-aid) that can hopefully be carried out by site mods/admins in significantly less time.
It's not something which can be made quick, and i'm not even speaking about the coding knowledge some mods have (some mods can't code). Trem and Delta are both busy working on UGX Launcher, UGX Requiem and other things (including the website itself as well). The best thing you can do is wait for the UGX Launcher to be released together with UGX Play + UGX Stats.

Lukkie1998
JbirdHaX
Date Registered: 12 March 2012
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Community Mapper Elite
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
(_̅(_̅м̅a̅я̅i̅j̅u̅a̅n̅a̅_̅0 ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้
Signature
▒█▀▄▀█ ░█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█  ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█░░ ▀█▀ ▀▀█▀▀ ▒█▀▀▀
▒█▒█▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀  ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█░░ ▒█░ ░▒█░░ ▒█▀▀▀
▒█░░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█  ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█▄▄ ▄█▄ ░▒█░░ ▒█▄▄▄
RadimaX's Groups
Community Mapper Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom mapping in the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
subdeviding the maps are the worst idea ever, having like 13 categorys makes people not even sure where to look for a map, i suggest a different ICON or logo for RELEASES or even call it MAP DOWNLOADS section, some people use ugx for a year and think only maps are the ones on the manager and forum is boring text stuff, thats why new icon or name would help.
[UGX] Maintainer (Admin & Programmer)
Date Registered: 29 August 2012
Last active: 6 hours ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Dolphin!
Signature
changed one line of code, bug is fixed

Coming to work on monday morning.
When a bug mysteriously disappears.

:ugxmods: Developer ;)
Delta's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX Chat Moderator Has the ability to mute, kick, or ban chat members for being abusive or breaking the rules of the forum.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
Delta's Contact & Social Linksthe-deltaugxDeltaItsDeltaigDelta igdeltaigdeltaUGX_DeltaDelta#6147Personal Site
UGX is already working on many improvements, especially for map releases.
We are just currently on our limit and we need some time.

If there are any suggestions for forum sub categoires, we might could look at that.
But any major improvements can't be made, as it cost us time and is useless for somehting which will be soon or later deprecated.
JbirdHaX
Date Registered: 12 March 2012
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Community Mapper Elite
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
(_̅(_̅м̅a̅я̅i̅j̅u̅a̅n̅a̅_̅0 ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้
RadimaX's Groups
Community Mapper Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom mapping in the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
my suggestion is not devide it into small medium large verruct sprinter box map classic bo1 styled or bo2 themed this is frustrating and will waste time to make sure maps are in right categorys in first place then when releasing u have to pick one then also later users have to sit and select its all around waste of time i really like an instant overview how undeadmodding have, not to plug that site or anything since i dont even use it myself but here is shitty example:

haha it would not be a long list on forums index expanded but its own thing once u click on it but with all maps rather then pages 19 pages, clicking 1 would take u to the description and download but just fits more at once rather then 3 maps in random categorys lol

Remington R5
Date Registered: 18 January 2015
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
paypal.me/RT275
Signature
paypal.me/RT275
Rorke's Groups
Rorke's Contact & Social Linkshickle.meddowsandrewshaworiginal_rorkewormnation
i have also noticed a similiar thing with the tutorials secion the tutorials seem to be here there and every where instead of 1 category for tutorials then followed by sub categorys for scripting radiant etc. i have seen more locked topics than anything else
Date Registered: 5 September 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Rotting Walker
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Just Having Fun.
Signature

Released Maps:
TRAPPED
LSD
24h Labs
LegoLand
Poseidome

[Coming Soon]
Downtown Bikini Bottom
ibounce's Groups
ibounce's Contact & Social LinksiBounceyiBounceun1tedbouncersibouncey
I've noticed UGX is A LOT better at approving maps fast and more frequently than ZM, but like you said, threads die pretty fast.

For Example:

UGX

ZM

I think it mostly contributes to the ZM front page. Having a constant cycle of new maps on the front page gives maps exposure. Just thought I'd add my two cents in as I hate the ZM approvers. My map took 3-4 weeks to be approved because one of the admins said my map was shit and people would just complain if they approved it. Pretty annoying.

EDIT: Maybe add a bold/animated "NEW" tag next to the thread logo? I've seen that on a few websites that aren't zombie related.
Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:42:25 am by ibounce

Loading ...