Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
The sound of God is the screech of tires, lights and magnets, bolts and wires. Strayed from the road, this very one, still to come. The sound of tires is the sound of God, the electric version.
mrpeanut188's Groups
mrpeanut188's Contact & Social Linksmrpeanut1881337p34nutmrpeanut188
An upgrade to Windows 10 is going to have problems. To get a full 10 installation, you need to run a clean install.

Now, since that's out of the way, once you disable the tracking on Windows 10 I feel like it is a great system.
Much of the features disabled by tracking programs are the 'automatic updates' and the like.

After a Classic-Shell installation, it feels like Windows 7 that runs faster, but there are a few programs that now refuse to run (e.x. 3Ds World Studio) however they are all extremely dated anyways. I've had a driver issue with a few things, but they were all fixed by selecting the correct driver from the list of drivers. I have broken my installation enough I don't know if Cortana or the search work, but the shell file search is working fine and that's all I need.

[Edit]
My PC is on a TV. The very edges of the tv are impossible to see where I sit. Windows 10 uses a small bar on the taskbar to indicate open programs. I cannot see the bar at the bottom of the taskbar so I had to move the taskbar to the top of my screen. If you can't see the edges of your TV/Monitor very well you will have problems as the indicator is very small.

Nutshell: Windows 10 is a great OS IF you perform a clean install and optionally remove privacy invasive features using a program like DoNotTrack10.
Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:12:00 am by mrpeanut188
broken avatar :(
[UGX] Maintainer (Admin & Programmer)
Date Registered: 29 August 2012
Last active: 2 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Dolphin!
Signature
changed one line of code, bug is fixed

Coming to work on monday morning.
When a bug mysteriously disappears.

:ugxmods: Developer ;)
Delta's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX Chat Moderator Has the ability to mute, kick, or ban chat members for being abusive or breaking the rules of the forum.
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
Delta's Contact & Social Linksthe-deltaugxDeltaItsDeltaigDelta igdeltaigdeltaUGX_DeltaDelta#6147Personal Site
The only things stopping me from getting W10 are the privacy concerns, and Microsoft's aggressive approach to how they get some users to upgrade (i.e. forcing the upgrade without warning even if the user is doing something, like this).

Article http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

Obviously most of the internet traffic used by W10 isn't anything to be concerned about, but it's everything else which is the problem. When I mention this to people I often get called paranoid etc. but it's a real concern of mine, and it saddens me when others simply don't give a shit about their own privacy.

I'm aware of several privacy (and anti-bloatware) tools that forcibly disable data logging and telemetry amongst other things, but I'm not sure how effective they are.

Good point, MS wanted to stop this and now in the last month a giant Bluescreen like warning appears.
Looks shady - totally agree.

Also the privacy concerns - but with some 3rd party tools it should be easy to handle.
(although it's silly to rely on those)
Date Registered: 17 August 2013
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Web & Software Developer and Designer
Signature
"Deleted code is debugged code." - Jeff Sickel
"Mathematicians stand on each others' shoulders and computer scientists stand on each others' toes." - Richard Hamming
JR-Imagine's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
An upgrade to Windows 10 is going to have problems. To get a full 10 installation, you need to run a clean install.
I've been using Windows 10 since day 1 and I never did a clean install, just the regular upgrade from Windows 8.1 which I had been running for quite a few months already. Never had any issues that weren't caused by something I did (aside from the initial driver problems which I experienced with any version of Windows, not just Windows 10, a quick update of my drivers fixed any issues I was having though).
Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:55:37 pm by JR-Imagine
Date Registered: 28 July 2013
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
Pizza that is all.
Signature
There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap.
SoulTaker's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
SoulTaker's Contact & Social Links
To me it improved frame rates in a lot of games. I'm able to run the Witcher 3 on high settings minus hairworks at 60 FPS or above with a GTX 970 and a FX 6300 at 4.0 Ghz.
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
To me it improved frame rates in a lot of games. I'm able to run the Witcher 3 on high settings minus hairworks at 60 FPS or above with a GTX 970 and a FX 6300 at 4.0 Ghz.
A lot of people complain that it's ruined their performance and compatibility with older games. Ex, CoD5 has texture issues all the time and runs like shit.

I'm happy on W7 until they pry it from my dead hands. I have the enterprise version which never bugs me about updating ;p
Date Registered: 21 December 2013
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
More
mrpeanut188's Groups
mrpeanut188's Contact & Social Linksmrpeanut1881337p34nutmrpeanut188
I've been using Windows 10 since day 1 and I never did a clean install, just the regular upgrade from Windows 8.1 which I had been running for quite a few months already.
First person I've talked to with no problems, there's a lot of problems like the start menu refusing to open, for me it was that I can't open any of the default apps or it'd come up with an error about me being on the 'default administrator' even though I'm on a different account.
Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:51:24 am by mrpeanut188
Date Registered: 28 July 2013
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
Pizza that is all.
SoulTaker's Groups
SoulTaker's Contact & Social Links
A lot of people complain that it's ruined their performance and compatibility with older games. Ex, CoD5 has texture issues all the time and runs like shit.

I'm happy on W7 until they pry it from my dead hands. I have the enterprise version which never bugs me about updating ;p

I have heard about older games having some issues indeed like COD WAW but not any other games to be honest, but I'm sure there's a good list out there somewhere. For me it just increased performance in newer games to be honest. :o
  • DeletedUser
  • Deleted Member
DeletedUser
This user is deleted :(
I have to disagree with you, I don't get any issues at all in CoD5 and old games work as they did before.
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Dolphin!
Delta's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX Chat Moderator Has the ability to mute, kick, or ban chat members for being abusive or breaking the rules of the forum.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
Delta's Contact & Social Linksthe-deltaugxDeltaItsDeltaigDelta igdeltaigdeltaUGX_DeltaDelta#6147Personal Site
Thanks for all your feedback.

Seems like it's up to everyone then again. Maybe luck is just needed.

Reminded me of Vista, everyone was complaining but it worked actually better for me than XP mainly because they had older machines.

I hope I find some time to give it a try, bare metal backup and then I give it a shot.
W10 offers a downgrade to w7 again for the first 30 days and if that fails I just recover my backup - just in case if I notice that W10 is not useable.
Date Registered: 21 June 2014
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
More
Personal Quote
Keep Scrolling...
Signature
I Am New Into Mapping And All Of That Kind Of Stuff.I Appreciate Every Help Provided!
LegendHugo's Groups
LegendHugo's Contact & Social LinksHdinis09Hdinis09@hdinis09DonHugo
Thanks for all your feedback.

Seems like it's up to everyone then again. Maybe luck is just needed.

Reminded me of Vista, everyone was complaining but it worked actually better for me than XP mainly because they had older machines.

I hope I find some time to give it a try, bare metal backup and then I give it a shot.
W10 offers a downgrade to w7 again for the first 30 days and if that fails I just recover my backup - just in case if I notice that W10 is not useable.
IMO it all comes to experience, having a good experience with W10 will make you like it and the other way arround :)
i believe that you have 30 days to return to windows 7, but not sure, ask microsoft.
Good Luck
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
I have to disagree with you, I don't get any issues at all in CoD5 and old games work as they did before.
lol I've watched it happen over skype screen share, I didn't just make it up.
OnionmanVere Bo21
Date Registered: 27 September 2013
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
ok
Signature
Aye mate you don't know me so y don't you shut tf up ok buddy :)

Scobalula's Groups
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Scobalula's Contact & Social Links
I have used it for the past 6 months on my main PC. I personally like it, I can get the privacy concerns, and what not. The issue regarding games like CoD 5 is another issue I've run into, since when I was running 8.1 on this same machine I had no issues regarding linker_pc HUNK errors, etc. but since I've upgraded I got more and more HUNK errors (which is now fixed thanks to DUKIP's linker_pc patch <3) and the weird texture glitch. I was playing with Hitman and Pro on Clinic of Evil and we had to restart the entire game after I got it after spawning it, lol, but fixed after game restart.

Only 2 major issues I've run into:

1. I live about 5 or so miles outside town, that's 5 or so miles of copper wire internet which = 3~Mbit/s, I don't mind it, usable, but when ever Windows 10 decides to do an update (which was literally right after I ugraded) it will, for some odd reason, drive our internet speed to a standstill, no one in the house can use it while its updating. My fix was to use NETLIMITER to throttle the speed of the Update process.

2. For some odd reason one update literally broke internet 3 times in a row for me, twice on my previous PC, and once on this. It would show an error saying something about registry being missing for some WinSocks thing or idk. I tried a load of stuff including resetting it, etc. but it was when porter sent me his registry for it, it fixed it.

Over all I do like it. If you're on Windows 7 I see no reason to upgrade apart from being "Up to Date", for 8.1 users I'd say it's worth the upgrade. I would at the very least, upgrade, and downgrade, should get your "Digital Entitlement".
Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 07:06:51 pm by Scobalula
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Dolphin!
Delta's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
Well there are a couple of reasons why W10 would be interesting for me.

I use 3 monitors and a native taskbar (rather than a 3rd party software) would be better.
Also the multiple virtual desktops which I loved in linux already sounds great,
especially for me as a developer and having over 30 windows open.

DX12 support and of course free upgrade.

My W7 install is old and it feels already slow and partially broken (explorer.exe has crashed) - so a reinstall would be great in the near future.
W7 or W10 hmmmmmmm
Date Registered: 7 March 2014
Last active: 2 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
UGX Site Moderator
My Groups
More
More
MZslayer11's Groups
MZslayer11's Contact & Social LinksMZslayer11Service_Code_30#2655
I did a fresh install of W10 on my new desktop a while back and Just recently updated my W8.1 laptop to W10. Cant say I've had any major issues with it.

For some reason, Chrome doesn't always open correctly, (Takes forever to open, wont load pages). I actually fixed this issue back when I got my Desktop but now that I have W10 on my laptop, I cant remember how I fixed it the first time lol.

Also, at one point I lost the use of my start menu and search functionality. This only lasted a few weeks and was resolved as updates were available.

These are the only small  issues I encountered with it. Both the fresh install and the upgrade were relevantly pain-free and I would say go for it if you haven't already. Way better than W8.
Date Registered: 14 September 2013
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
BE ORIGINAL
Signature
MakeCents's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
Way better than W8.

Ha ha, I see this all the time, and each time it makes me laugh. Like they released that piece of shit 8 just so people would be happy for 10, lol. "Anything is better than 8!" lol. Did they do the same with vista? I only use odd numbered OS's, and odd numbered phones too.  ;) I do see so many people love 10 though, but I swear the majority of them are pc geeks. I'm not sure I've met a pc geek that doesn't like it... strange. (I've also heard from 8 to 10 goes better than from 7 to 10. But who knows)
Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 06:17:28 pm by MakeCents

Loading ...