UGX-Mods

Everything Else => Computer Tech => Topic started by: Delta on July 04, 2016, 12:08:14 pm

Title: W10 Feedback?!
Post by: Delta on July 04, 2016, 12:08:14 pm
Hey guys,

the W10 free upgrade will expire this month.

Would love to get some feedback from W10 users about their experience and current state of Windows 10.

I have it on my laptop for quite a while and TBH it's weird to use compared to W7.
There were many issues, like login screen was bugged (couldn't enter my pw for unknown reasons)
and features like Cortana and App Store was disabled asap.

What is your experience with W10?
Love or hate it?
Title: Re: W10 Feedback?!
Post by: smasher248 on July 04, 2016, 12:14:33 pm
love it, the best combination of 7 and 8 with out all the metro screen crap or fucking charms bar, i have all default windows apps disabled and store, and use third party apps for everything pretty much, i would defiantly get it
Post by: DeletedUser on July 04, 2016, 12:17:33 pm
I like it compared to Windows 8/8.1 and I don't have a lot of issues with it
Post by: Delta on July 04, 2016, 01:33:17 pm
I like it compared to Windows 8/8.1 and I don't have a lot of issues with it

How many issues / What issues do you have?
Post by: DeletedUser on July 04, 2016, 05:16:58 pm
How many issues / What issues do you have?
Some friends were complaining about linker_pc throwing hunk alloc almost all of the time (I only got that only 5-6 times since I got win10) but other than that, I haven't seen any complaints.
Also, Pwn's linker_pc fix fixes it.
Post by: DeathBringerZen on July 04, 2016, 06:30:03 pm
I use Windows 10 on my laptop and I love it. Much better than Win 8. Not installed it on my PC though as that is what I game on and I'm wary as to whether it will screw up my gaming experience so sticking with Win 7 for the PC for now.
Post by: LegendHugo on July 04, 2016, 06:57:38 pm
To me it is the worst Windows there is:
-my pc performance went down 15%.
- my sound stopped working without headphones.
-i get a blue screen at least one a day.
-my cousin also had a lot of problems  with it.
I mean its free, what should i expect?
Post by: DeletedUser on July 04, 2016, 07:38:33 pm
To me it is the worst Windows there is:
-my pc performance went down 15%.
- my sound stopped working without headphones.
-i get a blue screen at least one a day.
-my cousin also had a lot of problems  with it.
I mean its free, what should i expect?
1) I actually got a performance increase.
2) Sounds like a sound driver issue
3) not happening to me at all
Post by: Delta on July 04, 2016, 07:45:59 pm
Thanks for the feedback so far.

Did everyone updated or did someone made a clean install?

I agree if you had W8 it's a good update to W10 (Laptop) but I somehow like to work on W7.
Might be just that I don't like to "work" on a laptop at all^^

Post by: DeletedUser on July 04, 2016, 08:05:35 pm

I agree if you had W8 it's a good update to W10 (Laptop) but I somehow like to work on W7.
I've updated. The only thing I had to uninstall was the Symantec AV.
Post by: smasher248 on July 04, 2016, 08:06:28 pm

i have it on 3 pc's my desktop was a clean install, and i had no problems wit any except laptop which has text resolutions problems due to text upscale to 125%

but u just need to disable dpi scaling on each .exe and its fine
Post by: Koan on July 04, 2016, 08:48:05 pm
The only things stopping me from getting W10 are the privacy concerns, and Microsoft's aggressive approach to how they get some users to upgrade (i.e. forcing the upgrade without warning even if the user is doing something, like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP31lluUDWU)).

Article
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/ (http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/)

Obviously most of the internet traffic used by W10 isn't anything to be concerned about, but it's everything else which is the problem. When I mention this to people I often get called paranoid etc. but it's a real concern of mine, and it saddens me when others simply don't give a shit about their own privacy.

I'm aware of several privacy (and anti-bloatware) tools that forcibly disable data logging and telemetry amongst other things, but I'm not sure how effective they are.
Post by: LegendHugo on July 05, 2016, 12:00:16 am
1) I actually got a performance increase.
2) Sounds like a sound driver issue
3) not happening to me at all
Nah,drivers are all up to date
Post by: MakeCents on July 05, 2016, 12:47:29 am
Upgraded wife's laptop to win 10. It now sits on a shelf. It has shut off in mid-use and in mid-watching a movie. I had to create a new user to fix an issue where the start menu or whatever it is called, would not work, and would also disable some things when left clicking it. You had to right click it to do stuff. New user fixed that, but she didn't like have to start over and doesn't like win 10 in general. So it sits there and once in a while she tries to play a video and it usually ends up in a fight because the sound won't work, or stops working, or just won't play. It's frustrating.

That's been our experience with it.
Post by: DeathBringerZen on July 05, 2016, 01:06:14 am
The only things stopping me from getting W10 are the privacy concerns, and Microsoft's aggressive approach to how they get some users to upgrade (i.e. forcing the upgrade without warning even if the user is doing something, like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP31lluUDWU)).

Article
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/ (http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/)

Obviously most of the internet traffic used by W10 isn't anything to be concerned about, but it's everything else which is the problem. When I mention this to people I often get called paranoid etc. but it's a real concern of mine, and it saddens me when others simply don't give a shit about their own privacy.

I'm aware of several privacy (and anti-bloatware) tools that forcibly disable data logging and telemetry amongst other things, but I'm not sure how effective they are.

Honestly, I have never had any issues with Windows 10 in that regard. As long as you use decent security tools you should be fine. I would highly recommend upgrading to Win10 purely on the basis that it's a better OS than Win7 onwards. Any issues with gaming will iron themselves out fairly quickly I reckon. A tad hypocritical of me considering I haven't upgraded my gaming PC yet but I could easily and did with my laptop.

Out with the old and in with the new as they say.

Post by: mrpeanut188 on July 05, 2016, 05:10:11 am
An upgrade to Windows 10 is going to have problems. To get a full 10 installation, you need to run a clean install.

Now, since that's out of the way, once you disable the tracking on Windows 10 I feel like it is a great system.
Much of the features disabled by tracking programs are the 'automatic updates' and the like.

After a Classic-Shell installation, it feels like Windows 7 that runs faster, but there are a few programs that now refuse to run (e.x. 3Ds World Studio) however they are all extremely dated anyways. I've had a driver issue with a few things, but they were all fixed by selecting the correct driver from the list of drivers. I have broken my installation enough I don't know if Cortana or the search work, but the shell file search is working fine and that's all I need.

[Edit]
My PC is on a TV. The very edges of the tv are impossible to see where I sit. Windows 10 uses a small bar on the taskbar to indicate open programs. I cannot see the bar at the bottom of the taskbar so I had to move the taskbar to the top of my screen. If you can't see the edges of your TV/Monitor very well you will have problems as the indicator is very small.

Nutshell: Windows 10 is a great OS IF you perform a clean install and optionally remove privacy invasive features using a program like DoNotTrack10.
Post by: Delta on July 05, 2016, 06:08:28 am

Article

Good point, MS wanted to stop this and now in the last month a giant Bluescreen like warning appears.
Looks shady - totally agree.

Also the privacy concerns - but with some 3rd party tools it should be easy to handle.
(although it's silly to rely on those)
Post by: JR-Imagine on July 05, 2016, 08:54:05 pm
An upgrade to Windows 10 is going to have problems. To get a full 10 installation, you need to run a clean install.
I've been using Windows 10 since day 1 and I never did a clean install, just the regular upgrade from Windows 8.1 which I had been running for quite a few months already. Never had any issues that weren't caused by something I did (aside from the initial driver problems which I experienced with any version of Windows, not just Windows 10, a quick update of my drivers fixed any issues I was having though).
Post by: SoulTaker on July 06, 2016, 12:59:55 am
To me it improved frame rates in a lot of games. I'm able to run the Witcher 3 on high settings minus hairworks at 60 FPS or above with a GTX 970 and a FX 6300 at 4.0 Ghz.
Post by: treminaor on July 06, 2016, 01:04:43 am
To me it improved frame rates in a lot of games. I'm able to run the Witcher 3 on high settings minus hairworks at 60 FPS or above with a GTX 970 and a FX 6300 at 4.0 Ghz.
A lot of people complain that it's ruined their performance and compatibility with older games. Ex, CoD5 has texture issues all the time and runs like shit.

I'm happy on W7 until they pry it from my dead hands. I have the enterprise version which never bugs me about updating ;p
Post by: mrpeanut188 on July 06, 2016, 02:50:48 am
I've been using Windows 10 since day 1 and I never did a clean install, just the regular upgrade from Windows 8.1 which I had been running for quite a few months already.
First person I've talked to with no problems, there's a lot of problems like the start menu refusing to open, for me it was that I can't open any of the default apps or it'd come up with an error about me being on the 'default administrator' even though I'm on a different account.
Post by: SoulTaker on July 06, 2016, 03:56:37 am
A lot of people complain that it's ruined their performance and compatibility with older games. Ex, CoD5 has texture issues all the time and runs like shit.

I'm happy on W7 until they pry it from my dead hands. I have the enterprise version which never bugs me about updating ;p

I have heard about older games having some issues indeed like COD WAW but not any other games to be honest, but I'm sure there's a good list out there somewhere. For me it just increased performance in newer games to be honest. :o
Post by: DeletedUser on July 06, 2016, 11:01:10 am
I have to disagree with you, I don't get any issues at all in CoD5 and old games work as they did before.
Post by: Delta on July 06, 2016, 04:10:23 pm
Thanks for all your feedback.

Seems like it's up to everyone then again. Maybe luck is just needed.

Reminded me of Vista, everyone was complaining but it worked actually better for me than XP mainly because they had older machines.

I hope I find some time to give it a try, bare metal backup and then I give it a shot.
W10 offers a downgrade to w7 again for the first 30 days and if that fails I just recover my backup - just in case if I notice that W10 is not useable.
Post by: LegendHugo on July 06, 2016, 04:35:44 pm
Thanks for all your feedback.

Seems like it's up to everyone then again. Maybe luck is just needed.

Reminded me of Vista, everyone was complaining but it worked actually better for me than XP mainly because they had older machines.

I hope I find some time to give it a try, bare metal backup and then I give it a shot.
W10 offers a downgrade to w7 again for the first 30 days and if that fails I just recover my backup - just in case if I notice that W10 is not useable.
IMO it all comes to experience, having a good experience with W10 will make you like it and the other way arround :)
i believe that you have 30 days to return to windows 7, but not sure, ask microsoft.
Good Luck
Post by: treminaor on July 06, 2016, 06:43:23 pm
I have to disagree with you, I don't get any issues at all in CoD5 and old games work as they did before.
lol I've watched it happen over skype screen share, I didn't just make it up.
Post by: Scobalula on July 06, 2016, 07:05:42 pm
I have used it for the past 6 months on my main PC. I personally like it, I can get the privacy concerns, and what not. The issue regarding games like CoD 5 is another issue I've run into, since when I was running 8.1 on this same machine I had no issues regarding linker_pc HUNK errors, etc. but since I've upgraded I got more and more HUNK errors (which is now fixed thanks to DUKIP's linker_pc patch <3) and the weird texture glitch. I was playing with Hitman and Pro on Clinic of Evil and we had to restart the entire game after I got it after spawning it, lol, but fixed after game restart.

Only 2 major issues I've run into:

1. I live about 5 or so miles outside town, that's 5 or so miles of copper wire internet which = 3~Mbit/s, I don't mind it, usable, but when ever Windows 10 decides to do an update (which was literally right after I ugraded) it will, for some odd reason, drive our internet speed to a standstill, no one in the house can use it while its updating. My fix was to use NETLIMITER to throttle the speed of the Update process.

2. For some odd reason one update literally broke internet 3 times in a row for me, twice on my previous PC, and once on this. It would show an error saying something about registry being missing for some WinSocks thing or idk. I tried a load of stuff including resetting it, etc. but it was when porter sent me his registry for it, it fixed it.

Over all I do like it. If you're on Windows 7 I see no reason to upgrade apart from being "Up to Date", for 8.1 users I'd say it's worth the upgrade. I would at the very least, upgrade, and downgrade, should get your "Digital Entitlement".
Post by: Delta on July 06, 2016, 09:03:45 pm
Well there are a couple of reasons why W10 would be interesting for me.

I use 3 monitors and a native taskbar (rather than a 3rd party software) would be better.
Also the multiple virtual desktops which I loved in linux already sounds great,
especially for me as a developer and having over 30 windows open.

DX12 support and of course free upgrade.

My W7 install is old and it feels already slow and partially broken (explorer.exe has crashed) - so a reinstall would be great in the near future.
W7 or W10 hmmmmmmm
Post by: MZslayer11 on July 07, 2016, 02:25:31 am
I did a fresh install of W10 on my new desktop a while back and Just recently updated my W8.1 laptop to W10. Cant say I've had any major issues with it.

For some reason, Chrome doesn't always open correctly, (Takes forever to open, wont load pages). I actually fixed this issue back when I got my Desktop but now that I have W10 on my laptop, I cant remember how I fixed it the first time lol.

Also, at one point I lost the use of my start menu and search functionality. This only lasted a few weeks and was resolved as updates were available.

These are the only small  issues I encountered with it. Both the fresh install and the upgrade were relevantly pain-free and I would say go for it if you haven't already. Way better than W8.
Post by: MakeCents on July 07, 2016, 06:13:27 pm
Way better than W8.

Ha ha, I see this all the time, and each time it makes me laugh. Like they released that piece of shit 8 just so people would be happy for 10, lol. "Anything is better than 8!" lol. Did they do the same with vista? I only use odd numbered OS's, and odd numbered phones too.  ;) I do see so many people love 10 though, but I swear the majority of them are pc geeks. I'm not sure I've met a pc geek that doesn't like it... strange. (I've also heard from 8 to 10 goes better than from 7 to 10. But who knows)
Post by: mrpeanut188 on July 08, 2016, 05:05:12 am
I do see so many people love 10 though, but I swear the majority of them are pc geeks.
Because everyone who isn't a pc geek has to fight against a windows 10 upgrade or it gets pushed on them.

Anyways, I do want to say that W10 has better support for older games, there are some stuff that won't run on W7 or W8 without lots of tweaks but run flawlessly. As for the age, I'm talking about old 2D games like the old Robin Hood game.