UGX-Mods Login

or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

What kinds of things YOU like in a map (Offical/Custom)

broken avatar :(
Created 10 years ago
by Deleted User
  • DeletedUser
  • Deleted Member
DeletedUser
This user is deleted :(
I just want to see if anyone agrees with me as well as your own opinion. When I look/play a map, what do I like to see? Well, a map needs "pazas". Something that makes you want to play the map again or say "hey, THAT was fun!". IMO, certain things need to be mixed together to form a good map;

Detail: Detail can come in different types depending on the matter. Map detail is the most known. Depending on the setting/atmosphere can make a map appealing to the eyes. Some examples; weather/climate, interesting/well put together textures, decals, and models, good "feels", and detailing that can compete to official zombie maps. MOTD did this VERY well, by making a zombie map feel most uneasy and creepy in a good way. Ambiance also plays a big part in this as it enhances the experience of "good design".

Map Design: Along with detail, map design can play a big part of gameplay & detail. Giving a reasonable amount of training, camping, and run-and-gun spots can be appraised if done correctly. Maps like Der Riese and COTD did this correctly to make gameplay fair and fun. A map like Buried did not succeed in this matter as the amount of camping spots and utilities made camping too easy (Jugg area, Bank roof, 2nd floor of bar + Time Bomb, Paralyser, Vulture Aid, and buildables). Origins did a good job on the detail part with the whole trenches/no mans land areas.

Features: Now, a good map does not need a million features to succeed - but keeping a balance will make a good creation. Only a few maps got away with pulling off a ton of features, but still being an amazing project such as Project Viking. Depending on the setting/aspect of a map, custom weapons could come into question. But this requires effort! The amount of times iv'e seen broken weapons in a map that ruin the whole experience... If you so much desire to port a weapon, make sure it has correct fire, reload, and cocking sounds - as well as correct stats and textures (unless their purposely custom). Perks are another known, expected feature. A good map does not need EVERY perk to be good. Think about perks that would aid the player in problems they are going to face in the map (lava, bosses, parkour = PHD, large areas, fast bosses, training = Stamin-up, ext). Also make sure your perks are working, FULLY working... Other things such as objectives and traps can make for a better experience too.

These are just some things that i expect/like to see too see in a map as there are many more, what do you guys expect/like to see in an official/custom map? ;)   
Date Registered: 16 June 2013
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
Hey if you had tons of fun on playing my maps please DONATE :)

play ESTATE now, and claim your mansion back from the undead!
jei9363's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
jei9363's Contact & Social Linksjei9363jei9363jayingardia
- not set in a house
- the start room is interesting and making you want to explore more
- zombie entrance points, as well as debris/doors are nicely defined and obvious
- some story
- no wide open spaces
- it appears that the creator asks himself "would this really look like this?" while mapping
Date Registered: 8 January 2014
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Embers are the new lens flares
chromastone10's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
chromastone10's Contact & Social Linkschromastone10chromastone1chromastone10
Do you think im doing a good job so far hex on my new map?
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Date Registered: 13 August 2012
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Let's keep this thread on topic from here on in. -DBZ

+1 to off-topic reply -DBZ

lmao. Too funny.

Goliath Script Placer: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,11234.msg125257/topicseen.html#new

"...Christ, people. Learn C, instead of just stringing random characters
together until it compiles (with warnings)..."

-Linus Torvalds
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
daedra descent's Contact & Social LinksBlueSoviet
Style - Asylum

The map - Large enough that you won't have everything opened by round 8. Map should should have a "custom" feel to it.

Detail - some detailing but not a ridiculous amount.

Features - No custom weapon/perks/bosses/anything thats not from World at War(With the exception of some CoD4 stuff if done right). All other custom content is somewhat original and done well. Map has enough features to keep me interested for awhile like custom MP weapons.

Like Dead Sand Elite, Berlin Bank, and nazi zombie lighthouse.

Date Registered: 27 January 2014
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
Guilhermex12's Groups
Guilhermex12's Contact & Social LinksGuilhermex12UGX-Mods
Good Custom weapos
Good Bosses
Good detail  :D
And camping spots haha  :troll:
Date Registered: 20 June 2014
Last active: 5 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Personal Quote
Behold the power of Mirror Force
Signature
The greatest failure is not to try and fail, but is to fail without trying.
Ramiabdh's Groups
Ramiabdh's Contact & Social Links
-more zombie models
-new zombies, such as bosses, zombie monkeys, etc.
-detailing, at least like black ops
-Wonder weapons? Maybe, if the suitable ones were there.
-Training area, maximum 1 area
-An understandable EE, because sometimes, the EEs can be complicated and too hard for someone to solve.
Date Registered: 3 August 2013
Last active: 7 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Rotting Walker
Primary Group
More
Personal Quote
No personnal text
Signature
CoD: World at War... is real war of game!
GuenosNoLife's Groups
GuenosNoLife's Contact & Social LinksGuenosNoLifeGuenosNoLifeGuenosNoLife
I like a map with serious design, good detail (like map official), gun from BO1 (not BO2 with BO1/WAW) and the king zombie from BO1 DLC ZOMBIE.
  • n123q45
  • Deleted Member
n123q45
DETAIL
good blended textures
smoothness - go along each wall/floor and not get caught ( even the pros have a problem with this )
originality
all things relate to the theme - there's many maps where i see models that are random and shouldnt be in that timeperiod/theme
UM Member, Mapper and 3d Modeler
Date Registered: 8 February 2014
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Port Arthur
Signature
pashan's Groups
there's many maps where i see models that are random and shouldnt be in that timeperiod/theme

Unless there is a story behind it (Like Overflow)
  • DeletedUser
  • Deleted Member
DeletedUser
Do you think im doing a good job so far hex on my new map?
CPH? Yes, map design seems very captivating and fun. Capturing the loved theme of MOTD was a nice touch. YOU sir, did a fantastic job porting weapons and making them work the way they should. Having a "different" boss was a great idea too (also, i just LOVE the engineer... lol). You also did well by adding ambiance, it makes the horror like detail more vibrant. And the "oh shit" kinds of moments were executed well too (like when me & Jamie saw the hoard of zombies from across the starting room, seeing so many red eyes) Well done chroma, once the main release is out im going to want to try out more weapons!

PS, THIS guy - knows how to make a FULLY working M1927, it was orgasmic to use lol... ;)

Post Merge: July 14, 2014, 04:29:17 pm
Style - Asylum

The map - Large enough that you won't have everything opened by round 8. Map should should have a "custom" feel to it.

Detail - some detailing but not a ridiculous amount.

Features - No custom weapon/perks/bosses/anything thats not from World at War(With the exception of some CoD4 stuff if done right). All other custom content is somewhat original and done well. Map has enough features to keep me interested for awhile like custom MP weapons.

Like Dead Sand Elite, Berlin Bank, and nazi zombie lighthouse.
Ah, the good ol' days am i right? ^ this stuff is why i love Penguin & Seelow so much!

Post Merge: July 14, 2014, 04:36:07 pm
-more zombie models
-new zombies, such as bosses, zombie monkeys, etc.
-detailing, at least like black ops
-Wonder weapons? Maybe, if the suitable ones were there.
-Training area, maximum 1 area
-An understandable EE, because sometimes, the EEs can be complicated and too hard for someone to solve.
Agreed, when new maps introduce old, fun bosses it make for a more fun/challenging experience. I am a huge fan of well put together detail, maps like Comosea and Overrun/Lockdown did achieve this. An EE with a reasonable amount of difficulty fits for a more fun map. Small things play a big part in a map too, like if a perk machine is lit correctly, or if the zombies have models that fit the style of the map. But its just those little things that make the map better right?     
Date Registered: 8 January 2014
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Embers are the new lens flares
chromastone10's Groups
chromastone10's Contact & Social Linkschromastone10chromastone1chromastone10
once the main release is out im going to want to try out more weapons!

I hope I can add a few more :( I hit the sound limit last night, so im gonna have to try to get rid of a bunch of unused sounds :/
  • DeletedUser
  • Deleted Member
DeletedUser
I hope I can add a few more :( I hit the sound limit last night, so im gonna have to try to get rid of a bunch of unused sounds :/
Oh, hope you find a way around it Chroma... ;)
Date Registered: 20 June 2014
Last active: 5 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Personal Quote
Behold the power of Mirror Force
Ramiabdh's Groups
Ramiabdh's Contact & Social Links
But its just those little things that make the map better right?   

Exactly, many maps succeed when little details of any thing is added, and such little things combined with each other make up a true map. Some mappers take care of the hardest and largest part or aim of their maps and forget the easy and simple things, which would in some cases reduce the replayability of the map
Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:10:35 pm by Ramiabdh
  • DeletedUser
  • Deleted Member
DeletedUser
Exactly, many maps succeed when little details of any thing is added, and such little things combined with each other make up a true map. Some mappers take care of the hardest and largest part or aim of their maps and forget the easy and simple things, which would in some cases reduce the replayability of the map
Couldn't explain it any better! :D

Loading ...