More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
VR Enthusiast
SparkyMcSparks's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
We're looking for Builders and Gameplay Engineers, so if anyone here feels confident and serious enough in wanting to apply feel free to get in contact on Steam or PM.

I'd be happy to personally pass your stuff on to the hiring department with the caveat that it's completely out of my hands from there, but I know a lot of people here are hard workers and talented so it's the least I can do to give back.

Apply on the website links below, let me know, and then you can send me your coverletter / resume to aromo (at) treyarch (dot) com and let me know your username so I can put one and one together.

Level Builder

http://activision.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=GAM0000EF
What you’ll be doing:   
•    Work with design leadership, artists, and other level designers to deliver environments that embody the creative vision of the game.
•    Research subject matter related to the history and look of locations portrayed in a level.
•    Collaborate with other designers, artists, animators and engineers to create levels that are not only incredibly fun, but look great and run well.
•    Detail and polish geometry based on photo reference and concept art.
•    Prioritize and self-manage to meet deadlines.

Make sure you have your best map that you feel represents your quality of work. If you think it could have shipped in Call of Duty 4 / World at War (depending on the mod tools you use), then you're on the right track.

You may be asked to do a test map, I would take it serious and make sure it's polished and fun. Some basic rudimentary scripting knowledge might help, but you don't necessarily need to do both -- make sure you're really good at one of them.

To get some idea, check out Ravensoftware's Design Test, it's a bit more lax since it's just for an internship.

Senior Gameplay Engineer

http://activision.taleo.net/careersection/10020/jobdetail.ftl?job=PRO00012K
What you’ll be doing:     
•    Implement, debug and optimize systems in C/C++ and other languages
•    Spearheading development of innovative gameplay experiences
•    Contributing to game architecture and technical designs
•    Performing data and code analysis to identify improvement opportunities
•    Providing mentorship to less experienced engineers

Basically working on source code to create new features, some scripting work involved too. As an example from what a Gameplay Engineer did on BO2, you'd be working on general gameplay stuff like pathfinding, or a special focus on weapon systems or animations while exposing the new features to scripters.

FAQ

Question: How old do I have to be there to work?
Answer: Legal working age is 14+ in USA I think, but realistically, you need to be self-sufficient and reliable more than anything.

Question: Do I have to move to Los Angeles?
Answer: Yes.

Question: I don't have X years working or Y shipped titles of a "AAA" game, what do I do?
Answer: Don't let that turn you off. Mod experience counts a lot too and if you are able to bring value to the company, they'll want you.

Question: I just made a map in a week, will this be good enough?
Answer: Probably not, like any other job application, you'll want to show the best of you.

Question: I'm moving there all by myself, do I get any assistance?
Answer: Negotiate it, it's case-by-case basis. See if you can get relocation assistance, temporary housing, and so on.

Question: Any examples of what I can do?
Answer: This guy got a job at Ravensoftware doing their old Design Test.

Question: What do I need when I apply?
Answer: Have a website up with videos, pictures and download links of your work. Send in a cover letter and resume.

Question: What about people who aren't from the US and how well do they have to speak / write english. ( Advanced; Fluent; ... ?
Answer: Will need to sort of Visa issues with HR. As for speaking / writing, hard to say for sure as I'm sure it's illegal to discriminate, but I'd say just be able to have conversations (which will be happening often at work) and read / write your ideas down on a document (also happens a lot too) in a manner that others can understand. Basically, I wouldn't let the language thing hold you back from applying.

Question: How much does it pay?
Answer: Check here for ballpark figures, but of course like all other jobs, case-by-base basis + you negotiate it.

Question: What's a typical workday like?
Answer: Here's a straightforward overview: Start at 10:00am, clock in and resume any tasks you have. Maybe a small team meeting in the morning. Lunch at noon, lot of food trucks and restaurants nearby. Back in from lunch, resume working on tasks. Maybe some more meetings mixed in. Follow up with team mates or leads on stuff you're working on. Out at 7:00pm.

Question: I'm not ready yet, how can I get more experience?
Answer: You give yourself experience. This talk by Chet from Valve gives an invaluable presentation about getting into the game industry. Eurogamer Expo 2012: Valve Software's Chet Faliszek
Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 06:20:39 pm by SparkyMcSparks
broken avatar :(
  • DeletedUser
  • Deleted Member
DeletedUser
This user is deleted :(
Would have loved to applied for level designer, unfortunately I am unable to move :( - I keep hope alive for the future.

You should totally try and convince Radimax to move out there, I think everyone can agree he is the best community mapper.
Former UGX Co-Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
UGX Co-Founder
My Groups
More
More
Signature
W1NG3D's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX Co-Founder
Always thought of going down this path and finding a job as a level designer / world builder, but unfortunately living in New Zealand makes a move to LA very difficult :-\
Date Registered: 5 April 2013
Last active: 3 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Signature
IHammY/'s Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Is it a issue if I´m not living in america?

Post Merge: July 08, 2014, 06:42:13 am
by the way the link for the gameplayengineer is borken ;)
Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:42:13 am by IHammY/
[UGX] Maintainer (Admin & Programmer)
Date Registered: 29 August 2012
Last active: 5 hours ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Dolphin!
Signature
changed one line of code, bug is fixed

Coming to work on monday morning.
When a bug mysteriously disappears.

:ugxmods: Developer ;)
Delta's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX Chat Moderator Has the ability to mute, kick, or ban chat members for being abusive or breaking the rules of the forum.
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
Delta's Contact & Social Linksthe-deltaugxDeltaItsDeltaigDelta igdeltaigdeltaUGX_DeltaDelta#6147Personal Site
Those are senior positions. - Are you really sure you don't need a little bit more experience than just making a beautiful cod map?

And beside this, how does the Gameplay Engineer fit in here at all.
Programming != Scripting and then again a senior position?

I really don't know how this would fit in here at all. - I know barely noone who would be suiteable for such position.
I don't think that Treyarch / Management is that generous at all and offers this to modding members.

If someone is really interested into this and has talent, should apply for a junior position.
Well happy enough, I'm not the one who have to work through the applications. - There aren't that many which have talent and good motivation and fit with their behavior / acting in a studio. ( And of course they have to move to LA )

Not to mention that many don't even know how a typical work day at such a large studio looks like or how the payment is. ( well I guess the senior one is a bit better payed )

For those who are really interested and are willing to make sacrafices and made their homework properly, I wish you  all the best.

@Sparky If you make advertisement for your employer already, would be great for all people to know how it is to work at and for Treyarch. [And since you can't be objective nor honest about it - which no one would mind bad - it would be still interesting for many people]

PS: I was joking about this but please do not post a forum link to your map as a website - Creating nowadays a decent website with your resume / portfolio is easy and cheap ( Do your homework first! )

@Sparky Ah and one question for the FAQ: What about people who aren't from the US and how well do they have to speak / write english. ( Advanced; Fluent; ... ? )
Former Treyarch Developer
Date Registered: 23 May 2014
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
VR Enthusiast
SparkyMcSparks's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
The senior positions things was addressed in the OP:
Here are some descriptions of the jobs, although they are for senior positions, you'd be applying for mid-level or associate so less on the management part than what the links detail out.

As for Gameplay Engineer, I figure maybe someone here is secretly taking / took Computer Science in school or has a solid programming background that would be interested. If you're already scripting some cool and interesting stuff you probably have a Comp Sci background to some degree. You don't need to be a great scripter for it as that's just byproduct of the work you may be doing, likely won't be scripting maps but moreso just supporting scripters.

I'll answer the rest of the questions a little shortly when I get to work today.

Post Merge: July 08, 2014, 06:35:11 pm
Updated the FAQ.
Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:35:11 pm by SparkyMcSparks
drago
Date Registered: 5 July 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
More
jjbradman's Groups
jjbradman's Contact & Social Linksjjbradmanjjbradmanjjbradman
once you've fiished applying. do they notify to you, if you didnt filled whats is needed?
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
VR Enthusiast
SparkyMcSparks's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
It's like a norm in the industry (from what I've heard regarding several other non-indie companies) that you won't hear back once you apply, unless they want to bring you in for interview or give you a design test.

Did you already apply?
drago
Date Registered: 5 July 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
More
jjbradman's Groups
jjbradman's Contact & Social Linksjjbradmanjjbradmanjjbradman
It's like a norm in the industry (from what I've heard regarding several other non-indie companies) that you won't hear back once you apply, unless they want to bring you in for interview or give you a design test.

Did you already apply?

yep. but as i dont have any kind of work or educational experience(at least not from an institution)
i just applied for fun x)
Relentless Mapper
Date Registered: 21 August 2011
Last active: 9 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Nuclear
My Groups
More
KDXDARK's Groups
Nuclear
Nuclear
DARKLEGION's requested title
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
KDXDARK's Contact & Social Links
Question: What's a typical workday like?
Answer: Here's a straightforward overview: Start at 10:00am, clock in and resume any tasks you have. Maybe a small team meeting in the morning. Lunch at noon, lot of food trucks and restaurants nearby. Back in from lunch, resume working on tasks. Maybe some more meetings mixed in. Follow up with team mates or leads on stuff you're working on. Out at 7:00pm.
before i read i imagine this:

(thanks to delta for the image)
Date Registered: 5 March 2014
Last active: 9 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
More
Personal Quote
Ununpentium miner
jorgep28's Groups
jorgep28's Contact & Social Linksjorgep28
before i read i imagine this:

(Image removed from quote.)
(thanks to delta for the image)
some says: guys, we need some new anims *starts shooting*
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
VR Enthusiast
SparkyMcSparks's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
They just released the positions on the website, and now actively searching, so the rat race gates have opened to everyone as coworkers are posting it on social media.

Updated my first post with links to the legit job descriptions.

Loading ...