Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
Pro Mapper in Training
Signature
Firestorm - Releasing June 2019 :troll: | http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=1439.0
RonanMerriman's Groups
RonanMerriman's Contact & Social Linksronan_merrimanmerrimand8merrimand8
I've been looking at a few great PCs that all have windows 7, but my dad is insisting that I get windows 8 instead.

What do you guys think, is windows 8 worth it or should I stick to windows 7(which is what I would rather do)?
broken avatar :(
  • DeletedUser
  • Deleted Member
DeletedUser
This user is deleted :(
Just do Windows 7.
The King of Zombies
Date Registered: 24 June 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Donate to me if you enjoy my work. https://www.paypal.me/thezombiekilla6
Dust's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Dust's Contact & Social LinksMrZ0mbiesFanaticdust103194MrZ0mbiesFanatic
Get Windows 7, Windows 8 sucks
Date Registered: 27 August 2012
Last active: 4 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Custom Map Reviewer
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Tommy Wonka & the Idea Factory
tomikaze's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Custom Map Reviewer Has permission to post map review topics in the Custom Map Reviews section of the forum.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
Windows 3.1 for LIFE!
Date Registered: 11 May 2013
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT
Signature
DeathBringerZen's Groups
I prefer windows 8 over 7 personally. Games play more fluent on my Win 8 laptop compared to the Win 7 PC.

There is a few things about Win 8 I don't like though. Never use the app screen on it, and don't like some of the mouse movement shortcuts.

Apart from that, it is a great OS!
Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:28:14 am by DeathBringerZen
Date Registered: 6 October 2013
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Fresh Corpse
Primary Group
Endgam3r's Groups
Endgam3r's Contact & Social Links
Use Windows 7, Windows 8 is only good for TouchScreens.
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
Stay away from Windows 8 for as long as you possibly can. Windows 7 beats it in every single area if you aren't using a touchscreen PC/device.

Wait for Microsoft to release Windows 9 or whatever the hell they decide to call it. Their operating systems alternate between absolute shit and better than the last.

Windows 98 (good), Windows 2000 (shit), Windows XP (better than 98), Windows Vista (shit), Windows 7 (better than XP), Windows 8 (shit) -> Windows 9 in April 2015 (better than Windows 7?)

http://orclev.tumblr.com/post/18555141412/why-windows-8-will-suck
The Voice in your Eyes
Date Registered: 26 June 2013
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Breton boys do what Breton boys do.
Alerion's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
Windows 98 (good), Windows 2000 (shit), Windows XP (better than 98), Windows Vista (shit), Windows 7 (better than XP), Windows 8 (shit) -> Windows 9 in April 2015 (better than Windows 7?)

Interresting theory.. I knew that vista was bad but I didn't see the whole picture untill now.
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT
DeathBringerZen's Groups
Stay away from Windows 8 for as long as you possibly can. Windows 7 beats it in every single area if you aren't using a touchscreen PC/device.

Wait for Microsoft to release Windows 9 or whatever the hell they decide to call it. Their operating systems alternate between absolute shit and better than the last.

http://orclev.tumblr.com/post/18555141412/why-windows-8-will-suck

Yeah, looking at it from that perspective, Windows 8 IS probably more suitable to a touch screen device.

Aside from the stupid 'mouse moving' shortcuts that happen regularly when trying to do a simple task, the OS itself has been absolutely fine for me, and I do a LOT of stuff on my laptop.

I have never had any issues installing or running any software so far, and I have found Win 8 to run programs (& the OS itself) with less resources than Win 7 did.

Still agree that Win 7 is a great OS though. It was XP but much, MUCH more secure.
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Date Registered: 13 August 2012
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Let's keep this thread on topic from here on in. -DBZ

+1 to off-topic reply -DBZ

lmao. Too funny.

Goliath Script Placer: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,11234.msg125257/topicseen.html#new

"...Christ, people. Learn C, instead of just stringing random characters
together until it compiles (with warnings)..."

-Linus Torvalds
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
daedra descent's Contact & Social LinksBlueSoviet
Yeah, looking at it from that perspective, Windows 8 IS probably more suitable to a touch screen device.

Aside from the stupid 'mouse moving' shortcuts that happen regularly when trying to do a simple task, the OS itself has been absolutely fine for me, and I do a LOT of stuff on my laptop.

I have never had any issues installing or running any software so far, and I have found Win 8 to run programs (& the OS itself) with less resources than Win 7 did.

Still agree that Win 7 is a great OS though. It was XP but much, MUCH more secure.

Pfft, if someone actually cared about keeping their computer safe they'd switch to a Linux Distro. Windows is a malware magnet, regardless of version.

Personally, i'm going to be switching to Steam OS real soon once they fix the partitioning interface, that way i'll have the safety and easy to customize linux OS while also steam to play on.
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
Pfft, if someone actually cared about keeping their computer safe they'd switch to a Linux Distro. Windows is a malware magnet, regardless of version.
That's totally impractical for anyone who has a windows-only workflow for any aspect of their hobby or job.

Anyone who wants to keep their computer safe just needs to install some anti-virus and learn to avoid clicking malicious links. I've been virus-free for over 6 years and I've been using the same Windows 7 install without any issues or corruption for over 2 years. I'd still be using the same Windows 7 install from six years ago if I hadn't upgraded my hardware between them.
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Date Registered: 13 August 2012
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
daedra descent's Contact & Social LinksBlueSoviet
Anyone who wants to keep their computer safe just needs to install some anti-virus and learn to avoid clicking malicious links. I've been virus-free for over 6 years and I've been using the same Windows 7 install without any issues or corruption for over 2 years. I'd still be using the same Windows 7 install from six years ago if I hadn't upgraded my hardware between them.

Yeah if your smart and download a good anti-virus and stop clicking on random links you'l be fine for the most part. I'm just saying that virus's aren't really an issue on linux, so there's no need to download a resource hogging anti-virus or watch what sites you go too.
Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:27:57 pm by daedra descent
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
resource hogging anti-virus or watch what sites you go too.
I use NOD32 antivirus which uses 3 to 6mb of ram and provides active protection against viruses and malicious links and downloads.
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT
DeathBringerZen's Groups

Personally, i'm going to be switching to Steam OS real soon once they fix the partitioning interface, that way i'll have the safety and easy to customize Linux OS while also steam to play on.

As good as linux is for a free OS distribution, it is still a joke of an operating system for a lot of practical uses... gaming being the major one. Windows is a target because it is pretty much the main OS that is in use worldwide.

Anyway... a decent AV and you are free from these issues. I have not had any kind of virus on any of my operating systems in a good few years.

As for the Steam OS... I really don't see it being much better than a Linux. Sure gaming is going to be fine on it (for Steam games at least), but I doubt it will EVER be as practical and compatible as Windows.

Windows is the best OS on the market hands down... issues or not.
The Doctor
Date Registered: 26 March 2013
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
timelordalex's Groups
timelordalex's Contact & Social Links
Windows 7. Discussion is not even necessary.

Loading ...