UGX-Mods

Everything Else => Computer Tech => Topic started by: RonanMerriman on February 16, 2014, 08:45:04 pm

Title: Windows 8 or Windows 7?
Post by: RonanMerriman on February 16, 2014, 08:45:04 pm
I've been looking at a few great PCs that all have windows 7, but my dad is insisting that I get windows 8 instead.

What do you guys think, is windows 8 worth it or should I stick to windows 7(which is what I would rather do)?
Title: Re: Windows 8 or Windows 7?
Post by: DeletedUser on February 16, 2014, 09:15:43 pm
Just do Windows 7.
Post by: Dust on February 16, 2014, 10:58:44 pm
Get Windows 7, Windows 8 sucks
Post by: tomikaze on February 17, 2014, 01:08:38 am
Windows 3.1 for LIFE!
Post by: DeathBringerZen on February 17, 2014, 02:27:46 am
I prefer windows 8 over 7 personally. Games play more fluent on my Win 8 laptop compared to the Win 7 PC.

There is a few things about Win 8 I don't like though. Never use the app screen on it, and don't like some of the mouse movement shortcuts.

Apart from that, it is a great OS!
Post by: Endgam3r on February 17, 2014, 03:45:52 am
Use Windows 7, Windows 8 is only good for TouchScreens.
Post by: treminaor on February 17, 2014, 08:16:38 pm
Stay away from Windows 8 for as long as you possibly can. Windows 7 beats it in every single area if you aren't using a touchscreen PC/device.

Wait for Microsoft to release Windows 9 or whatever the hell they decide to call it. Their operating systems alternate between absolute shit and better than the last.

Windows 98 (good), Windows 2000 (shit), Windows XP (better than 98), Windows Vista (shit), Windows 7 (better than XP), Windows 8 (shit) -> Windows 9 in April 2015 (better than Windows 7?)

http://orclev.tumblr.com/post/18555141412/why-windows-8-will-suck (http://orclev.tumblr.com/post/18555141412/why-windows-8-will-suck)
Post by: Alerion on February 17, 2014, 08:50:55 pm
Windows 98 (good), Windows 2000 (shit), Windows XP (better than 98), Windows Vista (shit), Windows 7 (better than XP), Windows 8 (shit) -> Windows 9 in April 2015 (better than Windows 7?)

Interresting theory.. I knew that vista was bad but I didn't see the whole picture untill now.
Post by: DeathBringerZen on February 17, 2014, 10:08:09 pm
Stay away from Windows 8 for as long as you possibly can. Windows 7 beats it in every single area if you aren't using a touchscreen PC/device.

Wait for Microsoft to release Windows 9 or whatever the hell they decide to call it. Their operating systems alternate between absolute shit and better than the last.

http://orclev.tumblr.com/post/18555141412/why-windows-8-will-suck (http://orclev.tumblr.com/post/18555141412/why-windows-8-will-suck)

Yeah, looking at it from that perspective, Windows 8 IS probably more suitable to a touch screen device.

Aside from the stupid 'mouse moving' shortcuts that happen regularly when trying to do a simple task, the OS itself has been absolutely fine for me, and I do a LOT of stuff on my laptop.

I have never had any issues installing or running any software so far, and I have found Win 8 to run programs (& the OS itself) with less resources than Win 7 did.

Still agree that Win 7 is a great OS though. It was XP but much, MUCH more secure.
Post by: daedra descent on February 17, 2014, 10:54:58 pm
Yeah, looking at it from that perspective, Windows 8 IS probably more suitable to a touch screen device.

Aside from the stupid 'mouse moving' shortcuts that happen regularly when trying to do a simple task, the OS itself has been absolutely fine for me, and I do a LOT of stuff on my laptop.

I have never had any issues installing or running any software so far, and I have found Win 8 to run programs (& the OS itself) with less resources than Win 7 did.

Still agree that Win 7 is a great OS though. It was XP but much, MUCH more secure.

Pfft, if someone actually cared about keeping their computer safe they'd switch to a Linux Distro. Windows is a malware magnet, regardless of version.

Personally, i'm going to be switching to Steam OS real soon once they fix the partitioning interface, that way i'll have the safety and easy to customize linux OS while also steam to play on.
Post by: treminaor on February 17, 2014, 11:07:21 pm
Pfft, if someone actually cared about keeping their computer safe they'd switch to a Linux Distro. Windows is a malware magnet, regardless of version.
That's totally impractical for anyone who has a windows-only workflow for any aspect of their hobby or job.

Anyone who wants to keep their computer safe just needs to install some anti-virus and learn to avoid clicking malicious links. I've been virus-free for over 6 years and I've been using the same Windows 7 install without any issues or corruption for over 2 years. I'd still be using the same Windows 7 install from six years ago if I hadn't upgraded my hardware between them.
Post by: daedra descent on February 17, 2014, 11:26:45 pm
Anyone who wants to keep their computer safe just needs to install some anti-virus and learn to avoid clicking malicious links. I've been virus-free for over 6 years and I've been using the same Windows 7 install without any issues or corruption for over 2 years. I'd still be using the same Windows 7 install from six years ago if I hadn't upgraded my hardware between them.

Yeah if your smart and download a good anti-virus and stop clicking on random links you'l be fine for the most part. I'm just saying that virus's aren't really an issue on linux, so there's no need to download a resource hogging anti-virus or watch what sites you go too.
Post by: treminaor on February 18, 2014, 12:38:39 am
resource hogging anti-virus or watch what sites you go too.
I use NOD32 antivirus which uses 3 to 6mb of ram and provides active protection against viruses and malicious links and downloads.
Post by: DeathBringerZen on February 18, 2014, 02:38:34 am

Personally, i'm going to be switching to Steam OS real soon once they fix the partitioning interface, that way i'll have the safety and easy to customize Linux OS while also steam to play on.

As good as linux is for a free OS distribution, it is still a joke of an operating system for a lot of practical uses... gaming being the major one. Windows is a target because it is pretty much the main OS that is in use worldwide.

Anyway... a decent AV and you are free from these issues. I have not had any kind of virus on any of my operating systems in a good few years.

As for the Steam OS... I really don't see it being much better than a Linux. Sure gaming is going to be fine on it (for Steam games at least), but I doubt it will EVER be as practical and compatible as Windows.

Windows is the best OS on the market hands down... issues or not.
Post by: timelordalex on February 18, 2014, 10:14:17 am
Windows 7. Discussion is not even necessary.
Post by: Zombiejelly on February 18, 2014, 12:00:08 pm
in my opinion I would get Windows 7 for a few reasons. One reason is that it seems that most tutorials you watch/read on something. Most of those are using Win 7. I think its more user friendly. I have never really used Windows 8 so I cant say anything bad about it because I dont know. When I bought my Alienware x51 it came with Windows 7 and my sons computer I bought recently also came with Windows 7. So I think for gaming you should roll with 7. Anyway good luck :)
Post by: treminaor on February 18, 2014, 04:13:41 pm
http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-ux-designer-on-metro-it-is-the-antithesis-of-a-power-user (http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-ux-designer-on-metro-it-is-the-antithesis-of-a-power-user)
Post by: DeathBringerZen on February 18, 2014, 04:21:45 pm
http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-ux-designer-on-metro-it-is-the-antithesis-of-a-power-user (http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-ux-designer-on-metro-it-is-the-antithesis-of-a-power-user)

Very interesting read. It does seem like Windows 8 is a "beta" for what they will give us with Windows 9.

I hate the metro screen. I never use it, but appreciate that it would be much more welcomed if using a touch screen device like the surface tablet.

It does not help that the windows app store has nothing good in it. Well, it has some respectable enough apps, but it is shallow when compared to the play store or itunes.
Post by: treminaor on February 18, 2014, 04:34:49 pm
Very interesting read. It does seem like Windows 8 is a "beta" for what they will give us with Windows 9.
Similarly Windows Vista seems like a beta of what they gave us in Windows 7.
Post by: RonanMerriman on February 18, 2014, 05:15:29 pm
Sorry to stir up such a discussion. I shall show this to my dad and hopefully he will see the light ;)
Post by: DeathBringerZen on February 18, 2014, 05:22:22 pm
Similarly Windows Vista seems like a beta of what they gave us in Windows 7.

Yeah, I supposed it could be compared in that way, although I do think Vista was a complete disaster considering how much time they put into the development of it. The Longhorn beta was much better than Vista, so I am not sure why they made such major changes last minute. It showed either way.

I think Windows 8 is a decent OS, but it is not dramatically different to Windows 7, and was obviously released with the touch screen generation in mind.

Shame they have not fixed the stupid mouse moving shortcuts in 8.1. They piss me off soooooo much.
Post by: ZK Studios on February 18, 2014, 08:17:47 pm
Windows 7 all the way. Especially if you are planning on getting into modding or zombies mapping. I have both operating systems, and Windows 7 is the way to go
Post by: nickst98 on February 19, 2014, 12:05:27 am
got win 7 pro, love it, i have tried 8.1 and it is good, but some 7 games are not supported
Post by: GAFerreira13 on February 22, 2014, 12:50:34 am
I think you should get windows 8 unless it doesn't support something you need. I'm currently using Windows 7 and tried 8.1, i prefer the latter. Regardless of it being crap or not, it's an upgrade from windows 7, it's much better in terms of performance, it's updated, it doesn't have the security holes that windows 7's system has. And I've been virus free for some years .
 I download lots of stuff from the internet and don't use an antivirus, i just run malwarebytes' anti-malware every month to ensure that everything's OK.
In my dad's company, I helped him build a computer than only had an Intel Haswell Pentium CPU (low-medium class CPU), a basic MOBO, an SSD and a hard drive. It boots in 5 seconds, 3 of these seconds are to show POST (the first screen it shows up when you turn on your computer, with the Motherboard brand and stuff). Windows 8 boots up in 2 seconds in a PENTIUM CPU!!!

The only thing I hate in windows 8 is that it doesn't have the start menu, but once you get used to some shorcuts in Windows 8 your productivity doesn't suffer much. But, it's a change, the problem with people that complain about Windows 8 is, or they share other people's opinions without even trying it, or they don't like change.
Things have to change sometimes.
People also often complain about the Metro-style menu, like if it didn't let you do anything at all unless you gave some atention to it. I don't really mind it, just ignore it and keep enjoying your time in your computer. Why is it so hard for people to understand that?

Post by: WarrantIllusion on March 15, 2014, 04:32:27 am
Definitly windows 7 Ultimate edition, windows 8 has so much unnecessary garbage on it.
Post by: GAFerreira13 on March 15, 2014, 07:46:39 pm
reviving a dead topic.. congrats for your first post i guess lol