2015 Contest Winner
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
Caw caw caw
johndoe's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
2015 Contest Winner
johndoe's Contact & Social Linksmyc153-johndoe
I made this tutorial after some people asked how i remade cs_assault and also I'm sick of seeing god-awful box maps made by beginners. If you are a beginner in mapping, this tutorial may be useful for you since it can help you understand how some things are done in maps and how to do some basic stuff in Radiant. At least it's better than making a box map in my opinion. I haven't tried it, but i'm sure you can make mp maps with this tutorial for all cods since they all basically use the same engine.

Requirements: Basic knowledge in Radiant, Half-Life/Counter-Strike, patience.
Note: This will not work for Source Engine maps (i'm trying to find a way to make it happen though).

Firstly, you'll need to download WinBSPC to decompile the map, HL Texture Tools to extract the textures, an image manipulation software to convert the textures to DDS and GDT Generator to generate the GDT file for the asset manager.

WinBSPC: http://cs.gamebanana.com/tools/5030
HL Texture Tools: https://sites.google.com/site/gshltools/texture-tools/HLTextureTools.7z?attredirects=0&d=1
GDT Generator: http://myuce.tk/download.php?file=GDTGenerator

To decompile the map, run WinBSPC, go to File -> Convert.

Find the bsp file of the map you want to decompile. (bsp files are in root/mod/maps/ [root: half-life's root folder, mod: the folder of the mod, cstrike for instance])

Check MAP and choose the output folder and press OK.

Now you can open the file in Radiant. If you followed the previous steps correctly, Radiant will be able to open the file and it'll look like this.

No need to worry, since you haven't exported the textures and converted for CoDWaW yet, it's normal for it to look like this. You'll need to get the names of the textures from the textures window.

Before running HL Texture tools, you'll need to get the names of the .wad files which have texture files in them. In order to do it, open the .map file with a text editor, you'll see something like this.
Code Snippet
Plaintext
"wad" "\halflife\valve\decals.wad;\halflife\valve\halflife.wad;\halflife\cstrike\cs_assault.wad;"

You'll need to open those .wad files on HL Texture Tools. In order to do it, run HL Texture Tools, go to File -> Open and find the .wad files written in .map file one by one (except decals.wad, you won't need it). After opening the .wad file, go to File -> Extract all and select the choose the folder you want to extract the textures into.

After extracting the textures, you'll need to learn how to convert them for waw, but i won't explain how to make custom textures since there are tons of tutorials on how to do it (i.e http://tinyurl.com/qgvowsf)

If you don't want to add the textures on asset manager one by one, I recommend you use the GDT Generator. There is a readme file that explains how to use it, but you'll need to convert transparent textures like fences manually since GDT Generator doesn't support that for now (I'll try to make a better texture tool to make texture converting easier, but for now, we'll have use this).

Note: I recommend you generate the GDT files seperately for different kind of textures like metal and wood.

After generating the GDT file and converting the textures, you can open the map on Radiant again. The textures will look a bit rubbish, you'll need to use surface inspector on Radiant to fix them. In order to do it, select the face of the brush by pressing Shift+Left Click and press S, then set vertical and horizonntal stretch to 1 (it works on most of them, but sometimes you need to change those values). If it's a crate or a box, you don't need to use surface inspector. Just select the whole box and press CTRL + F to make the texture fit.

After fixing the textures you'll need to delete the brushes that look like this since they are triggers and stuff and you won't need them. You'll need to delete the ladders and make the laders on your own because the ladder textures of Half-Life looks ugly in cod.

Lastly, you'll need to delete the unnecessary entities like these.

After completing these steps you can safely edit the map however you want and add stuff related to zombie mode.

Personal request: It took me lots of time to figure out how to do this in the first place so I'll be glad if you give me credit if you remake a map using this tutorial. Also, cs_assault has been already remade by me and de_dust2 is being remade by Ray1235, but he hasn't finished it yet. Please consider it before choosing the map you're gonna remake.

Feel free to reply to this topic if you have any problems. I'll try to do my best to help you.
Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:30:46 am by johndoe
broken avatar :(
The King of Zombies
Date Registered: 24 June 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Donate to me if you enjoy my work. https://www.paypal.me/thezombiekilla6
Dust's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Dust's Contact & Social LinksMrZ0mbiesFanaticdust103194MrZ0mbiesFanatic
nice tutorial, too bad i dont have half life or counter strike
Date Registered: 1 March 2013
Last active: 4 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
2015 Contest Winner
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Caw caw caw
johndoe's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
2015 Contest Winner
nice tutorial, too bad i dont have half life or counter strike
you can always download maps from gamebanana but i can't say the same for textures  :poker:
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
Wow, I didn't know HL maps could be decompiled to BSP which could be loaded by Radiant. +1
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
2015 Contest Winner
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Caw caw caw
johndoe's Groups
2015 Contest Winner
Wow, I didn't know HL maps could be decompiled to BSP which could be loaded by Radiant. +1
Since both Half-Life and Call of Duty are based on Quake engines, the way the maps are build is kinda similar which makes porting between the two pretty easy. Thanks for making the topic sticky by the way :)
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
Since both Half-Life and Call of Duty are based on Quake engines, the way the maps are build is kinda similar which makes porting between the two pretty easy. Thanks for making the topic sticky by the way :)
Ah yeah I just looked that up - I always assumed HL1 was source engine but apparently Source wasn't ready until HL2, and even then Source is based on Quake which I didn't know. Interesting.
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
2015 Contest Winner
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Caw caw caw
johndoe's Groups
2015 Contest Winner
Ah yeah I just looked that up - I always assumed HL1 was source engine but apparently Source wasn't ready until HL2, and even then Source is based on Quake which I didn't know. Interesting.
Well I didn't know Source is based on Quake as well, but i shouldn't be surprised since it still uses the same logic for most of the things. I'm still trying to find a way to port Source Engine maps which looks kinda possible at the moment. I hope i won't be wrong about it  ;D
Date Registered: 3 January 2014
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
GAFerreira13's Groups
As I told you in the chat, I promise I'll port a map with your tutorial, this is a great tut thanks!
Date Registered: 30 July 2013
Last active: 12 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Ege115's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Ege115's Contact & Social LinksEge115
Wow! Soon there will be a bunch of Counter strike maps? wow, custom zombies just gets better and better.  :)
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
2015 Contest Winner
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Caw caw caw
johndoe's Groups
2015 Contest Winner
As I told you in the chat, I promise I'll port a map with your tutorial, this is a great tut thanks!
Good luck mate! I hope you can do it without any problems. Just don't forget to ask for help whenever you have any problems. I'll do my best to help you :)

Wow! Soon there will be a bunch of Counter strike maps? wow, custom zombies just gets better and better.  :)
Not just Counter-Strike. You can port every single map from Half-Life and its modifications such as Team Fortress Classic, Opposing Force, Deathmatch Classic, Natural Selection and so much more!
Date Registered: 30 July 2013
Last active: 12 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Ege115's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Ege115's Contact & Social LinksEge115
Not just Counter-Strike. You can port every single map from Half-Life and its modifications such as Team Fortress Classic, Opposing Force, Deathmatch Classic, Natural Selection and so much more!

Amzing! Now custom zombies became even better, Good work!
Date Registered: 24 September 2012
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Letting Zombies eat my brains since 82
Signature
Zombiejelly's Groups
Zombiejelly's Contact & Social LinksZombiejelly115Zombiejelly115@BradtimmsZombiejelly
yeah I have half life 2 and cs source and keep getting invalid format
Date Registered: 21 December 2013
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
More
Signature
The sound of God is the screech of tires, lights and magnets, bolts and wires. Strayed from the road, this very one, still to come. The sound of tires is the sound of God, the electric version.
mrpeanut188's Groups
mrpeanut188's Contact & Social Linksmrpeanut1881337p34nutmrpeanut188
Yeah, HL1 is on the GoldSrc engine which is much better organized than it's successor.
Good to know though, I like mapping in Hammer much more than in Radiant.
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
2015 Contest Winner
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Caw caw caw
johndoe's Groups
2015 Contest Winner
yeah I have half life 2 and cs source and keep getting invalid format
Note: This will not work for Source Engine maps (i'm trying to find a way to make it happen though).

Loading ...