Last active: 2 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
ville88's Groups
Why need portals in MAPS? Sorry for my English, and sorry for the stupid question))) But I want to know
Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 09:31:53 am by ville88
Marked as best answer by ville88 8 years ago
broken avatar :(
  • Exofile
  • Deleted Member
Exofile
This user is deleted :(
Why need portals in MAPS? Sorry for my English and sorry for the stupid question))) But I want to know

Portalling a map tells the game what to load when the player is in a certain area. It makes performance better on a map. Say you have an underground room, it won't be loaded in unless the player sees it. The less the game loads, the better. :)
Date Registered: 2 January 2012
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
More
ville88's Groups
Portalling a map tells the game what to load when the player is in a certain area. It makes performance better on a map. Say you have an underground room, it won't be loaded in unless the player sees it. The less the game loads, the better. :)

Thank you! Good explain for me))
Date Registered: 17 January 2014
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If you want scripts / features made for you, then contact me by PM or email / skype etc
it will cost you tho so if you have no intention of reciprocating don't even waste my time ;)
Harry Bo21's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Harry Bo21's Contact & Social Links[email protected]HarryBo21HarryBo000
when it comes to efficiency, the biggest let down is usually when engines are rendering things even tho you cant see them in your view. This is what it stops.

Also if you have "models popping in and out" from a visible distance - it is also due to not having portals. Stevie "had" to portal oil rig coz we could see shit reappearing just as we came up to it, was proper bad
Date Registered: 2 January 2012
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
More
ville88's Groups
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
  • Exofile
  • Deleted Member
Exofile
correctly? ! No longer available

You'll mostly notice if it's done correctly, as the framerate should be increasing ingame.
Date Registered: 22 September 2013
Last active: 4 weeks ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
Zombie Mapper and Gamer
Signature
My Custom Zombie Maps:

- Nazi zombie Legion
- City of Hell
- The Abandoned Mine
- The Last Undead House (Finished)

more custom zombie maps coming soon
gamer9294's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
gamer9294's Contact & Social Links
You'll mostly notice if it's done correctly, as the framerate should be increasing ingame.

Hi Exofile,

I have a question ?

I don't know if I get it correct but as example: when you get framerates that is also different between what for pc (computer) you have, think I

example:

for someone that has a better computer hi will get less framerates right ?

or is it wrong what I'm telling now ? I don't know much about the framerates (think I  :P) but I have it sometimes on my City of Hell map because for some reasons that I don't have portals in that map :(

I got a second question, I have searched for about how portals will work but I can't understand how they working, if I get right some people say that it has a sequence to make it.

I know there are 2 diffrent portals right ?

because in my next map I'm going to make that will have a medium / large map and that would sins as those do not have any portals that I still do not understand it well. :(

sorry for bad english.

I am still learning with mapping etc.  :)  Thanks in advance.

best regards,
- Gamer9294
  • Exofile
  • Deleted Member
Exofile
Hi Exofile,

I have a question ?

I don't know if I get it correct but as example: when you get framerates that is also different between what for pc (computer) you have, think I

example:

for someone that has a better computer hi will get less framerates right ?

or is it wrong what I'm telling now ? I don't know much about the framerates (think I  :P) but I have it sometimes on my City of Hell map because for some reasons that I don't have portals in that map :(

I got a second question, I have searched for about how portals will work but I can't understand how they working, if I get right some people say that it has a sequence to make it.

I know there are 2 diffrent portals right ?

because in my next map I'm going to make that will have a medium / large map and that would sins as those do not have any portals that I still do not understand it well. :(

sorry for bad english.

I am still learning with mapping etc.  :)  Thanks in advance.

best regards,
- Gamer9294

If I understood your first question correctly, you're asking me if the framerate is affected by the performance of your PC? The more frames you have, the smoother gameplay you'll get. You want as high of a framerate as you can get. And with this, the better your PC is, the better your framerate tend to be.

For your second question, I have never portalled something myself. I'm not too sure about how you actually do it, but I know what portalling does. I suggest you look up tutorials for it on youtube, or google. Most certainly there are some help posts here on UGX referencing to how you portal a map. Sorry I can't help you any further. ;)
Date Registered: 22 September 2013
Last active: 4 weeks ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
Zombie Mapper and Gamer
gamer9294's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
gamer9294's Contact & Social Links

If I understood your first question correctly, you're asking me if the framerate is affected by the performance of your PC? The more frames you have, the smoother gameplay you'll get. You want as high of a framerate as you can get. And with this, the better your PC is, the better your framerate tend to be.

For your second question, I have never portalled something myself. I'm not too sure about how you actually do it, but I know what portalling does. I suggest you look up tutorials for it on youtube, or google. Most certainly there are some help posts here on UGX referencing to how you portal a map. Sorry I can't help you any further. ;)

thank you for comment back :)

yes thank you man,  yeah I run 90 fps in custom zombies but some moments on my map it is lagging and then I see that my fps is around 60/70 for few seconds then it returns back to 90± fps (fps = frames pair second) I don't know if it is the same as framerate xD

btw thank you for the comment  8)

okay thank you very much man, I will going to search it about portals :D

best regards,
- Gamer9294
Date Registered: 17 December 2013
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
1,404Add +1
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Community Scripter Elite
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
It aint much, if it aint Dutch
Signature
BluntStuffy's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Scripter Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom scripting in the UGX-Mods community.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
BluntStuffy's Contact & Social LinksBluntstuffy@BluntZombieBluntStuffyStuffyZombie
Looks good to me. ;)

Dont want to be a dick right here, but i'm not sure how effective those portals are when you can Always see them. There should be structural brushes to obstruct the players view.
When you see a portal, it's getting drawn and models, terrain and detail-brushes 'dont exist' for portals. You look 'straight through them'..
So what i'm seeing from your vid, most portals are visible to the players anyway so they wont do much good.

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong please, but this is how i Always thought it worked.
JbirdHaX
Date Registered: 12 March 2012
Last active: 11 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Community Mapper Elite
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
(_̅(_̅м̅a̅я̅i̅j̅u̅a̅n̅a̅_̅0 ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้
Signature
▒█▀▄▀█ ░█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█  ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█░░ ▀█▀ ▀▀█▀▀ ▒█▀▀▀
▒█▒█▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀  ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█░░ ▒█░ ░▒█░░ ▒█▀▀▀
▒█░░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█  ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█▄▄ ▄█▄ ░▒█░░ ▒█▄▄▄
RadimaX's Groups
Community Mapper Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom mapping in the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
for outdoors map its hard to obstruct the view of all portals, surely the player wont render the ENTIRE map like they did before having zero portals. For a first time trying to do them he make a better job then me, this is also why my futuristic map is indoors, since all the DOORS area hidden behind a wall or a corner not more then 2-5 areas of 100+ is drawn at any single moment saving many frames.
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
Dont want to be a dick right here, but i'm not sure how effective those portals are when you can Always see them. There should be structural brushes to obstruct the players view.
When you see a portal, it's getting drawn and models, terrain and detail-brushes 'dont exist' for portals. You look 'straight through them'..
So what i'm seeing from your vid, most portals are visible to the players anyway so they wont do much good.

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong please, but this is how i Always thought it worked.

Well yeh, there is a limit to how efficiently he can portal this particular map since it's almost entirely outdoors and almost everything is visible. But if he's not looking at a certain building from how he's portalled it, it shouldn't be rendered (like for example if he has his back to one of the buildings or w/e) which is about as good as he can reasonably hope to get it. Of course if he added some huge structural brushes that obscure his view he could portal it 'better', but that kind of ruins his map lol.
Date Registered: 14 September 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
BE ORIGINAL
Signature
MakeCents's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
I'd agree that it was a good job. He's isolated the buildings which should help a great deal, and for the most part has separated his map in a decent fov. Only ways to improve it, I think, would be to do some more fov portalling. From each area you can't see around the corners, so you could angle a portal  in the corner areas as well, but could prove difficult, here and there. Blackjackjonnyy briefly covers that in one of his videos.

Loading ...