UGX-Mods Login

or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

Should there be a Rating System on Custom Maps? Vote Now!

POLLHOT
broken avatar :(
Created 8 years ago
by Deleted User

Poll

Question: Should there be ranking system?

Yes
No
Date Registered: 2 November 2016
Last active: 7 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
natesmithzombies's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
natesmithzombies's Contact & Social LinksNSmithZombies
This topic has changed entirely to a poll on whether or not a rating system should be implemented in custom maps.

Simply place your vote!
Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:47:00 am by natesmithzombies
Date Registered: 17 January 2014
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If you want scripts / features made for you, then contact me by PM or email / skype etc
it will cost you tho so if you have no intention of reciprocating don't even waste my time ;)
Harry Bo21's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Harry Bo21's Contact & Social Links[email protected]HarryBo21HarryBo000
We've had this discussion before

This would in theory condemn any map even I make now to the "first maps" section - which would make it automatically associated with a box map - not just me, but in fact a lot of members who spend years working on their maps

For example, stevies first map that wasn't for the contest was oil rig, although ultimately industrial estate came out before it

So at least one of those two maps would also have been condemned to this
Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:44:08 pm by Harry Bo21
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
This user is deleted :(
We've had this discussion before

This would in theory condemn any map even I make now to the "first maps" section - which would make it automatically associated with a box map - not just me, but in fact a lot of members who spend years working on their maps

For example, stevies first map that wasn't for the contest was oil rig, although ultimately industrial estate came out before it

So at least one of those two maps would also have been condemned to this

Yes but we've been through this before. 'First maps' is a euphemism for 'Garbage maps', it doesn't necessarily have to be someone's first map. Hell, it could be their 10th map - if it's still crap it goes in the 'First maps' section. If someone's first map is good then obviously they can go straight into the proper maps section.

Anyway I've been banging this drum for months now and nothing ever happens with it, I've also been asking for a simple 10 star rating system for all releases but alas that's fallen on deaf ears too (or I get told there's no point because that feature will be in the 'upcoming' UGX Launcher...I still see no reason why we can't have both, or better still link them.)
Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:42:59 am by steviewonder87
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
Yes but we've been through this before. 'First maps' is a euphemism for 'Garbage maps', it doesn't necessarily have to be someone's first map. Hell, it could be their 10th map - if it's still crap it goes in the 'First maps' section. If someone's first map is good then obviously they can go straight into the proper maps section.

Anyway I've been banging this drum for months now and nothing ever happens with it, I've also been asking for a simple 10 star rating system for all releases by alas that's fallen on deaf ears too (or I get told there's no point because that feature will be in the 'upcoming' UGX Launcher...I still see no reason why we can't have both, or better still link them.)
i dunno, I mean who decides? I see people shit all over even good maps and praise the utter crap

My experience with rating systems also brings me doubts, as certain people exist solely for the purpose of being malicious

Not just that, what respectable person here will even enter that section and discover a "gem in the rough"

I thought this was the reason we had reviewers, read the review to decide if it's worth it rather than by some arbitrary score people will just abuse
Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:10:18 pm by Harry Bo21
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
i dunno, I mean who decides? I see people shit all over even good maps and praise the utter crap

My experience with rating systems also brings me doubts, as certain people exist solely for the purpose of being malicious

Not just that, what respectable person here will even enter that section and discover a "gem in the rough"

I thought this was the reason we had reviewers, read the review to decide if it's worth it rather than by some arbitrary score people will just abuse

If the mods can't distinguish between something that took 5 mins to make and something that has obviously had effort put into then I'm more than happy to fulfill that role, it doesn't take a genius to see that something like 'Box Sniper One Window NGT Challenge Cube' should go in the 'New Mapper' section and something like Herrenhaus or Leviathan should go in the proper map section - it's a disgrace they are even in the same forum subsection IMO (but then again what do I know?)

The rating system would only be able to be used by members with 20 or more posts (or w/e number admin chooses) and would be across the entire releases section, not just the 'New/First Mappers' section (I think that's what you were implying with your 'gem in the rough' comment?).

And just because we have reviewers (who let's face it, suck balls - I'm looking at you Tomikaze >:() doesn't mean we can't have a rating system too. Anyway I'm wasting my breath because I've said all this before many times and nothing happens. We'll just keep it how it is with box maps galore. :)
Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:24:25 pm by steviewonder87
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
The reviews are so damn lengthy half the time. Thats why I never read them.

Here is a new idea then: Implement a rating system and only map reviewers can review the maps. Now map reviewers have purpose other than writing witty novels for a map review.
firstly you could just look at the over all score and summary, and they are generally like 1 page, that is no excessive

But the map reviewers deciding what should go where I could agree with - just not any old user regardless of the 20 post count restrictions, I got past that within. 4 days of joining
Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:30:52 pm by Harry Bo21
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
just not any old user regardless of the 20 post count restrictions, I got past that within. 4 days of joining

So what's wrong with that? I don't understand? Besides everyone and their mother is a map reviewer these days anyway.
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
So what's wrong with that? I don't understand? Besides everyone and their mother is a map reviewer these days anyway.
the "point" is just passing a spam check does not mean someone can be trusted to have a true reflection on people's work. If you can pass it in 4 days you can still be and blind dumb evil hater here just to - to quote a member - "just rate everything a 1 coz I don't like the site" etc
Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:40:45 pm by Harry Bo21
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
the "point" is just passing a spam check does not mean someone can be trusted to have a true reflection on people's work. If you can pass it in 4 days you can still be and blind dumb evil hater here just to - to quote a member - "just Tate everything a 1 coz I don't like the site" etc

Yeh but that's life? What's the difference between those people leaving a negative comment on a map for no reason now or leaving a 1 star rating? Or perhaps a better idea would be any member with any kind of coloured rank? So mappers, scripters, reviewers, etc?

But the map reviewers deciding what should go where I could agree with - just not any old user regardless of the 20 post count restrictions, I got past that within. 4 days of joining

And I think you are getting mixed up with the 2 things here. The first proposition is to have a 'New Mapper section. The second proposition is to have a rating system. They are not connected in any way. You could not have the rating system in the 'New Mapper' section and just keep it for the 'proper' maps if that's better. The map reviewers (Nate's idea) would only be responsible for rating the maps (I think it should more than just reviewers though) not deciding what maps go where - that would up to the mods, or ideally me. :)
Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:49:47 pm by steviewonder87
Date Registered: 7 October 2013
Last active: 7 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Unannounced Map
40%
DarkWhiss's Groups
DarkWhiss's Contact & Social LinksBabaMayDarkWhiss
Only problem i see with this is a section for "Maps nobody will play" and a section for "Maps people will play"

because most people will want to play maps that they know are going to be good, and by having a section for first maps will ultimately get no attention.
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
Only problem i see with this is a section for "Maps nobody will play" and a section for "Maps people will play"

because most people will want to play maps that they know are going to be good, and by having a section for first maps will ultimately get no attention.

That's the idea...:poker:
Date Registered: 7 October 2013
Last active: 7 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
DarkWhiss's Groups
DarkWhiss's Contact & Social LinksBabaMayDarkWhiss
That's the idea...:poker:
That's the wrong idea.... lol. How is anybody going to grow to be known in the community if their map gets no attention?  ::)
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
That's the wrong idea.... lol. How is anybody going to grow to be known in the community if their map gets no attention?  ::)

When they stop releasing crap..::)

I think you missed the point.
Date Registered: 21 February 2014
Last active: 11 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
ShotgunRagtime's Contact & Social LinksShotgunRagtime
The reviews are so damn lengthy half the time. Thats why I never read them.

Here is a new idea then: Implement a rating system and only map reviewers can review the maps. Now map reviewers have purpose other than writing witty novels for a map review.

Reading a 1-page review: 5 minutes

DL'ing a map, playing it, finding out it's shit: 25 minutes

Choice is yours dude.

Anyway, I agree with Stevie about the ratings system. Although I'm not worried about too low of scores, but too high of scores. Standards in the zombies community are waaaaay too low. Prison Mission has 10 stars on ZM, and it's literally the worst map I ever played. Universal democracy is wrong, some people just don't deserve an opinion. Too many noobs shotgunning out "BEST MAP EVAR" (it's the first map they've played...)

Nonetheless, we need a rating system because reviewers can't get 'em all. I'm currently working on a (glowing) Das Herrenhaus review, but that's just one of the many maps currently out, and I've already missed many I'd have liked to review. Just not enough time, especially since I'm working on a map of my own.

Would be nice if UGX tracked an individual's downloads, and that was part of the criteria... so like 100 posts, 30 maps DL'd
Date Registered: 25 June 2013
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
1,024Add +1
Forum Rank
Eviscerator
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
HitmanVere's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
You can pick out the good maps really easily just by pictures. Look at TheRelaxingEnd for example. He clearly doesn't make a video of boxmap 2.0. Why not just browse the "First Maps Section" for some gold just by a picture and well listed features?

Hue

Loading ...