UGX-Mods Login

or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

Should there be a Rating System on Custom Maps? Vote Now!

POLLHOT
broken avatar :(
Created 8 years ago
by Deleted User

Poll

Question: Should there be ranking system?

Yes
No
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 9 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
One thing I forgot to add to my last post is that the Custom Map Reviews section scores will be directly used by the UGX Launcher and any future web-based map browsing section we may or may not add.

If the map has three reviews in the Custom Map Reviews section, some information from them will be displayed and an average score will be given. All of this data will be searchable. If you want to find all the maps which have scored a 9 or higher for Level of Detail you will be able to. You can completely ignore user rating stars if you wish.

The 10 star rating system will be similar to ZM, but there will be minimum requirements for users to have the ability to leave a rating so that people can't just spam a map with low ratings if they dislike the mapper.

Yes but I don't understand why we can't have it on the forums as well? Why is it only one or the other?
We don't want people to even bother browsing the forums for map downloads anymore - its not the right type of format for downloads, its for discussion. The launcher will be the place to go for all the maps and there won't be massive delays in map approval like there are right now. people will be able to submit a map themselves and the staff will be able to approve it.
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
This user is deleted :(
One thing I forgot to add to my last post is that the Custom Map Reviews section scores will be directly used by the UGX Launcher and any future web-based map browsing section we may or may not add.

If the map has three reviews in the Custom Map Reviews section, some information from them will be displayed and an average score will be given. All of this data will be searchable. If you want to find all the maps which have scored a 9 or higher for Level of Detail you will be able to. You can completely ignore user rating stars if you wish.

The 10 star rating system will be similar to ZM, but there will be minimum requirements for users to have the ability to leave a rating so that people can't just spam a map with low ratings if they dislike the mapper.
We don't want people to even bother browsing the forums for map downloads anymore - its not the right type of format for downloads, its for discussion. The launcher will be the place to go for all the maps and there won't be massive delays in map approval like there are right now. people will be able to submit a map themselves and the staff will be able to approve it.

OK thanks for explaining your rationale behind it. So I guess the question now is, what's the rough ETA on the Launcher release?
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
OK thanks for explaining your rationale behind it. So I guess the question now is, what's the rough ETA on the Launcher release?
Well we got delayed at least a month by the whole Mikey fiasco, and currently Delta had to put development on hold while he took care of some college work he had to do. So ideally we're looking at the end of March but that's tentative obviously.
  • DeletedUser
  • Deleted Member
DeletedUser
I'd vote for a categorizing system, rather than rating or ranking/scoring. Similar to how reviewers rate maps now, but maybe slightly different, to avoid shaming maps, but still provide insight in the type of map... Maybe...

Box map **********
Custom content **********
Detail/Mapping **********
Map size **********

So these wouldn't give a score, but rather tell others how much of something they were... I'm sure there are others or a better way if wording it, but everyone could vote or add the info, without there being any malicious motive. Especially since we all value different things when it comes to maps.

See now this is what i was thinking as well. But i think that we should have it so that box maps are not categorized in the same area as maps with more than 4 rooms. And not just buyable doors with perks or weapons inside. I'm talking spawners, windows, zones, other doors, details, and other types of things. Even if its just a simple house with 5 rooms. Have the same system for all types. So a have box map section, a Normal map section, and maybe have a behemoth section for massive maps like herrenhaus and oil rig. I also like the idea of only letting color ranked people vote. I like the idea of custom map reviewers being able too place rating but i think we should do it the rotten tomatoes way. Have a critics rating and have a Fans rating, and then have an overall rating between the two.

..... whoops didn't realise this had been resolved already.
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
the perfect system would be map reviews have to apply for the position with more than just making a review, like maybe you need to review a variety of maps and if the reviews reflect how good the Map actually is, they get the status and can then rate maps.
We do not have the time to have such an elaborate application review for this. Especially when we get so many applications (I get almost one a week at this point so imagine how many I turn down). It would be more productive to notify me if an existing map reviewer doesn't deserve the title. I don't have the time to police them myself, I have way too many more important responsibilities to tend to around here right now.

1. I disagree with 90% of the scores on the Reviews section, cause you get shit like "I only played it once and got bored so I give it 3/10 for replayability" and "There was a WaW stock gun so -3 points on custom content" other crap.
Who is doing this? See my answer above about reporting irresponsible map reviewers.

2. Reviewers don't bother putting the same effort of review into a shit map, so the reviews section is mostly maps with 30+/40 score. A ranking/voting system would be waaaaay better.
Of course not. Why put effort into the review when no effort was put into the map? And there are some very elaborate shit map reviews, but they are humorous as a result.

3. Reviewers usually don't bother making reviews for maps that already have 1 review. So you're left with 1 person's opinion to rank a map.
Well, you're a map reviewer aren't you? Break the stereotype and make some duplicate reviews.

5. Review system is shit, we just have to conform to it because Trem says so. I would SO MUCH prefer it if reviewers could use something like grades A/B/C/D/F without the 4 categories (which aren't even that good). For example "[B+] NDU Reimagined" or "[C-] Malibu Drive" or "[F] CubeBoxMcFlaps v4.3".
Lol all you're accomplishing with ABCDF is diluting the review score by an additional 20%. Having the current 4 category score system worth 25% each is the same as an ABCD score system, it's just missing the F. And if a map deserves an F then why review it? WTF does a C- mean for a map? I would much rather see what categories it scored low in than have to guess from your review and letter grade.
JbirdHaX
Date Registered: 12 March 2012
Last active: 11 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Community Mapper Elite
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
(_̅(_̅м̅a̅я̅i̅j̅u̅a̅n̅a̅_̅0 ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้
Signature
▒█▀▄▀█ ░█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█  ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█░░ ▀█▀ ▀▀█▀▀ ▒█▀▀▀
▒█▒█▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀  ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█░░ ▒█░ ░▒█░░ ▒█▀▀▀
▒█░░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█  ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█▄▄ ▄█▄ ░▒█░░ ▒█▄▄▄
RadimaX's Groups
Community Mapper Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom mapping in the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
Does not have to be ELABORATE, it could be a quick/effective way to rate maps they play if they are good or buggy.
Just as visual representation add stars on topic for others to decide for themselves if its worth playing or not.

By no means should it look like this only a quick example how simple it could be to implement.

Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:42:42 pm by RadimaX
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
Does not have to be ELABORATE, it could be a quick/effective way to rate maps they play if they are good or buggy.
Just as visual representation add stars on topic for others to decide for themselves if its worth playing or not.

By no means should it look like this only a quick example how simple it could be to implement.

(Image removed from quote.)

Fake!  :troll:

Why is Pashan's Overflow the only one with no rating? ;D
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
I am impressed that you would do this because doesn't it cost you money to have these maps in the launcher instead of having a hosting site containing the downloads?
It does cost us money which is why donations are important and so is ad revenue :)
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
Well I helped out then ;)

I will donate again if I get my internship, but I will never pay for Oil Rig Beta :troll:

Date Registered: 12 December 2015
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Signature
100% Custom Zombies Instagram - @CODCZ115
CODCZ115's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
CODCZ115's Contact & Social LinksCODCZ115CODCZ115CODCZ115CODCZ115Instagram
One feature I would like to see implemented, is to be able to see which maps have been made by a mapper. Perfect example, I only recently started playing for the first time, and enjoying the map THE MORGUE by mapper 'tudark'. I would love to be able to easily find a way to see which other maps 'tudark' has made.

Some mappers include which maps they have made, such as 'steviewonder87' in their signature. Which by the way, CHRISTMAS WAREHOUSE and INDUSTRIAL ESTATE are 2 of my favorite maps! But even though he took the time to include this info, they are not links, which won't easily take me to each maps page.

It would be great to have a new menu button simply titled 'Mappers', which when clicked, maybe could be in table form, with the mappers name, list of maps they've made in order by their creation date, and each map linked to its info/download page, social media / website links and a donate button. Maybe the mappers overall could be rated on, so the people putting out the BEST overall maps, will be at the top of the list, as oppose to each individual map getting rated or put into categories.

BUT, it also wouldn't hurt at all to create CATEGORIES for maps in general.  :)
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
Some mappers include which maps they have made, such as 'steviewonder87' in their signature. Which by the way, CHRISTMAS WAREHOUSE and INDUSTRIAL ESTATE are 2 of my favorite maps!

:cute:
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
CODCZ115's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
I agree with CODCZ115's idea

Also rather impressive he made no mention of Oil Rig  ???

Oh believe me, OIL RIG is just as incredible, the only reason I didn't mention it, is because I have yet to fully get into it. After playing it when it was initially released, and failing miserably at it solo, I plan on playing it co-op and making a real run at it. :)

Put it this way, ANY map 'steviewonder87' makes, will be a MUST PLAY. Most likely a bonafide classic.
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
The Launcher will have filters to see maps made by specific people.
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
CODCZ115's Groups
The Launcher will have filters to see maps made by specific people.

Great to hear. But will all maps that are in the Zombie Maps section be featured in the launcher?
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
Great to hear. But will all maps that are in the Zombie Maps section be featured in the launcher?
As long as they aren't total shit and follow the requirements, most likely yes. We havent finalized our requirements yet.

Loading ...