UGX-Mods Login

or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

Is the UGX Map Manager really needed/useful?

broken avatar :(
Created 8 years ago
by HazardousTheEPIC
Date Registered: 7 July 2014
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Personal Quote
Hey, you. Yeah, you. Have a great day.
I can understand the pros to the Map Manager, in fact I may install it (Just to play exclusive maps), but I don't see the harm in adding a download link as well.
I haven't got the Map Manager, nor has my brother and so I assume there are many others out there who don't have it.
I don't think its needed, again, I can understand the pros and so, yes, it is worth it, but not needed.

The thing I'm trying to ask for is - download links, not just the UGX Map Manager.

I'm not saying its bad, I just don't think its needed.
I might get it, but just for the exclusive maps.
Date Registered: 2 March 2016
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
I'm the REAL TTheenderr
Signature
I'm the REAL TTheenderr

Any questions? PM me or find me in chat. I'm on chat most of the time on school days.

Personal Highest Round Record: 26 (infinite Warfare: Zombies in Spaceland)
TTheenderr's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
It is not needed and it's useful to get official UGX Maps.
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Date Registered: 13 August 2012
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Let's keep this thread on topic from here on in. -DBZ

+1 to off-topic reply -DBZ

lmao. Too funny.

Goliath Script Placer: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,11234.msg125257/topicseen.html#new

"...Christ, people. Learn C, instead of just stringing random characters
together until it compiles (with warnings)..."

-Linus Torvalds
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
daedra descent's Contact & Social LinksBlueSoviet
To answer the question:

Is the UGX Map Manager really needed/useful?

Its proprietary BS that's less reliable than Mediafire or Mega and has slower download speeds. It clutters up your desktop(or wherever you have it) and doesn't tell you its still installing the maps until you try exiting the app. What little information it provides could be easily found by going to the map's topic which just I'm guessing most people keep open when using their computer anyway.

So no, it isn't needed or useful.

Date Registered: 21 December 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
More
Signature
The sound of God is the screech of tires, lights and magnets, bolts and wires. Strayed from the road, this very one, still to come. The sound of tires is the sound of God, the electric version.
mrpeanut188's Groups
mrpeanut188's Contact & Social Linksmrpeanut1881337p34nutmrpeanut188
Its proprietary BS that's less reliable than Mediafire or Mega and has slower download speeds. It clutters up your desktop(or wherever you have it) and doesn't tell you its still installing the maps until you try exiting the app. What little information it provides could be easily found by going to the map's topic which just I'm guessing most people keep open when using their computer anyway.

So no, it isn't needed or useful.
Daedra I am disappointed, you didn't even mention that the map lists are not ordered in any way and it's a bitch to find a map. However the run map prompts are alphabetized, but that's just automatic when you retrieve the directory listing.
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
Daedra I am disappointed, you didn't even mention that the map lists are not ordered in any way and it's a bitch to find a map. However the run map prompts are alphabetized, but that's just automatic when you retrieve the directory listing.

Well, yes those too. However, since there are only a few dozen maps on the manager(last time I checked) I don't think its that big of a deal.

The installer is also terrible in its own right - it takes longer to package maps with it, it uses an entire CPU core(Sorry anyone with single or dual core CPU's), and it adds a folder onto the desktop WITHOUT FUCKING ASKING.

And from the sound of it, the new UGX Launcher is going to be worse...
Date Registered: 14 September 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
BE ORIGINAL
Signature
MakeCents's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
All that aside, I think the intent of the map manager was to weed out the box maps and other severely broken maps. So when it "made it" to the map manager it was good enough for the common player to deal with. I could be wrong, but I am just looking at this from the view of my friends who never entered the forum and only use the map manager.
Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:25:14 pm by MakeCents
[UGX] Developer
Date Registered: 28 October 2013
Last active: 5 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
UGX Team Member
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
[UGX] Developer
Lukkie1998's Groups
UGX Team Member
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
UGX Chat Moderator Has the ability to mute, kick, or ban chat members for being abusive or breaking the rules of the forum.
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
2015 Participant
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
Well, yes those too. However, since there are only a few dozen maps on the manager(last time I checked) I don't think its that big of a deal.

The installer is also terrible in its own right - it takes longer to package maps with it, it uses an entire CPU core(Sorry anyone with single or dual core CPU's), and it adds a folder onto the desktop WITHOUT FUCKING ASKING.

And from the sound of it, the new UGX Launcher is going to be worse...
The amount of maps getting added is minimized because of the upcoming UGX Launcher. This program will have a tool to add maps yourself. This way a lot more maps will be added to it. It also offers more options which you'll find out when it's released or if you have donated to UGX.

For most people the UGX Map Manager offers more stable/faster and definately more secure downloads, because the maps are downloaded straight from UGX servers instead of 3rd party download sites.

And yeah the UGX Launcher is alphabetically ordered :P

Lukkie1998
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
The amount of maps getting added is minimized because of the upcoming UGX Launcher. This program will have a tool to add maps yourself. This way a lot more maps will be added to it. It also offers more options which you'll find out when it's released or if you have donated to UGX.

For most people the UGX Map Manager offers more stable/faster and definately more secure downloads, because the maps are downloaded straight from UGX servers instead of 3rd party download sites.

And yeah the UGX Launcher is alphabetically ordered :P

Lukkie1998

So... a proprietary app that does things that could otherwise just be added to the website itself and be more convenient, then?

Yeah, a few years ago the UGX Map Manager's download speeds were faster... if you could get it to work in the first place. Now you can easily get better download speeds from Mega and maybe Mediafire. Its more of a hit or miss with Mediafire for me for some reason...

Date Registered: 29 July 2015
Last active: 5 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
children should not be playing call of duty
Signature
⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Koan's Groups
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
Koan's Contact & Social Linksh-r_Koan_my website
The Map Manager is certainly outdated and not all that useful. The upcoming Launcher will be a much better replacement, and though it's not needed, and I feel like the UGX members (especially Delta) could use their time better, and I really don't see the need for making the whole thing in C++ which takes fucking forever when Delta is experienced in other languages... but does it matter all that much? I won't be using it for much other than chat, but most users will be fine with it and they'll find it useful.
Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:02:48 am by Koan
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
Alright, I take what I said about the manager maybe being faster the Mediafire. Its way slower.

Loading ...