Date Registered: 24 April 2013
Last active: 9 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Mapper
whippytrout's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
whippytrout's Contact & Social LinksWhippyTroutWhippyTrout
How exactly do I change the direction of an FX using UGX easy FX? I tried rotating the script_struct in radiant but every FX just points straight up and down. If this is an easy fix pleas let me know. I'm trying to setup an angled spotlight.
Thanks
Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:34:17 am by whippytrout
broken avatar :(
drago
Date Registered: 5 July 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
jjbradman's Groups
jjbradman's Contact & Social Linksjjbradmanjjbradmanjjbradman
for the spotlight fx, if im not wrong the struct arrow must be pointing towards the sky(for the fx to point to the floor)
Date Registered: 17 December 2013
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
1,404Add +1
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Community Scripter Elite
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
It aint much, if it aint Dutch
Signature
BluntStuffy's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Scripter Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom scripting in the UGX-Mods community.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
BluntStuffy's Contact & Social LinksBluntstuffy@BluntZombieBluntStuffyStuffyZombie
Couldn't just make a normal light, and create an info_null where you want it to point to. Then select the light, 'shift-select' the info_null and press W so they connect.
And you got a spot light! Only perhaps if you want to make it flickering (allthough you can do that with normal lights to) you want to use a FX.
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
whippytrout's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
I just want to make my lights look like this picture below.  I have that fx I just didnt know how to make them not look straight down. I want to angle them like in the picture. 
picture is of custom map ZM_camping which I dont own.
Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:30:48 am by whippytrout
drago
Date Registered: 5 July 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
More
jjbradman's Groups
jjbradman's Contact & Social Linksjjbradmanjjbradmanjjbradman
Couldn't just make a normal light, and create an info_null where you want it to point to. Then select the light, 'shift-select' the info_null and press W so they connect.
And you got a spot light! Only perhaps if you want to make it flickering (allthough you can do that with normal lights to) you want to use a FX.
the fx isnt just light, it also adds that white aura like here:

but because theres a dyn_light limit, you can delete the light from the fx and in radiant you add a normal light near the struct that wont count towards the dyn_lights  :P

Post Merge: March 07, 2014, 04:41:09 am
I just want to make my lights look like this picture below.  I have that fx I just didnt know how to make them not look straight down. I want to angle them like in the picture.  (Image removed from quote.)
picture is of custom map ZM_camping which I dont own.
just point the fx truct arrow to where you want the light to be, and it will see like here:
Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:42:04 am by jjbradman
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
whippytrout's Groups
I must not understand because every time I point my struct in a direction it allways plays straight down in game. I've tried a million times. That picture above of the spotlights looks like what I want. I just don't understand 100% what you are saying to do. 
Date Registered: 17 December 2013
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
1,404Add +1
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Community Scripter Elite
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
It aint much, if it aint Dutch
BluntStuffy's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Scripter Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom scripting in the UGX-Mods community.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
BluntStuffy's Contact & Social LinksBluntstuffy@BluntZombieBluntStuffyStuffyZombie
Not sure how easy-FX works, but it could very well be the type of FX you use..
If you look in effects-ed under the tab "velocity" you see a box called "move relative to" i guess i must be either "effect now" or "effect at spawn" to work with angles..
Not 100% sure on the definitions, but roughly:

"world" offset calculated against the world axis  (?? not fully sure about this one..)
"effect at spawn" the effect spawns at the point of origin and stays there (unless it has velocity of it's own)
"effect now" the effect spawns at for example a tag_flash and "is connected" to that so moves with it
"spawn offset" ofset calculated against the struct / joint axis (?? not fully sure about this one..)
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
whippytrout's Groups
Thanks but I still couldn't get it to work. I guess I'll just rotate the fx in fx-editor then it should work. Just a lot of trial and error on my part to get it facing the right direction. :(
Please if anyone figures something out let me know, you might save me a lot of time.
Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:07:13 pm by whippytrout
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
If the fx does not have the "effect at spawn" OR "effect now" box checked on the "Velocity" tab of EffectsEd, it will ignore the angles it was spawned at and use its own angles. The light effects that were used as examples in UGX Easy FX already have this set up correctly but if youre using a custom FX its probably set up wrong in EffectsEd.

Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
whippytrout's Groups
I have that box checked in velocity and I'm using a default FX from fx/env/light/fx_glow_outdoor_spot_dim_static. I compared the FX from ugx easy fx and mine and the setting are the same for each. I guess its just not meant to be. I'm out of options here. I'll keep trying but I just dont get why it wont move. I just want them to point at a slant.  :(
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
I have that box checked in velocity and I'm using a default FX from fx/env/light/fx_glow_outdoor_spot_dim_static. I compared the FX from ugx easy fx and mine and the setting are the same for each. I guess its just not meant to be. I'm out of options here. I'll keep trying but I just dont get why it wont move. I just want them to point at a slant.  :(
If the setting is correct and you are sure the fx is compiled into your ff with the correct setting and you are sure that you rotated the struct in radiant and you are sure that you recompiled your map to save the changes and it still doesnt tilt ingame, then I don't know what else to tell you because that works for me.
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
whippytrout's Groups
Well I'm not sure what was going on so I made a script_model and changed to code to this:

Code Snippet
Plaintext
        spotlight_model = GetEnt( "light", "targetname" );
playfxontag(level._effect["spotlight"],spotlight_model,"tag_origin");

Then I can rotate the script_model and my fx plays like I want it to. I guess that Fx must be weird or something. Thank you guys for your help I learned more about Effects Editor than I knew before.  ;D
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
Well I'm not sure what was going on so I made a script_model and changed to code to this:

Code Snippet
Plaintext
        spotlight_model = GetEnt( "light", "targetname" );
playfxontag(level._effect["spotlight"],spotlight_model,"tag_origin");

Then I can rotate the script_model and my fx plays like I want it to. I guess that Fx must be weird or something. Thank you guys for your help I learned more about Effects Editor than I knew before.  ;D
That's exactly what UGX Easy FX does to play the fx, so if I had to guess I would say that something isnt being saved in Radiant. Glad you got it working though :)
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
whippytrout's Groups
Yea I know, I dont see what difference a script struct and a script model made but as long as it works I guess it dont matter. Thanks for your help.

Loading ...