Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.

Kingston 120GB HyperX 3K SSD Review & Giveaway!

Contest is concluded, winner will be announced shortly!

Kingston has been kind enough to provide us with an SSD (Upgrade Kit, screenshots below!) to give away to you guys! If you would like to win it, here's what you have to do:

• Read our review of the SSD (below)
  • Reply to this thread with at least one sentence describing what you would most likely use the SSD for.
    Invalid replies such as "I would use it as a frisbiee" will be ignored (& removed). They need to be practical uses, we are not going to be judging creativity.
  • Join our Steam Community Group. You MUST have your Steam ID set on your UGX-Mods forum profile so that we can verify you joined the Steam Group!

Do not post more than one entry. Doing so will result in all entries from you being removed and you will not be eligible to win the contest.

The contest will run for two weeks. At the end of the two week period the contest will be closed and we will pick a random forum member from this topic who submitted a valid reply and joined the Steam Group. Good luck!

Kingston SSD Review

Official Product Description (from Amazon):
Budget-minded gamers and enthusiasts will benefit from the lower price of Kingston's new HyperX 3K SSD. This solid-state drive combines premium 3000 program-erase cycle synchronous NAND with the second-generation SandForce controller. Its lower price means more users can experience ultra-responsive gaming, multitasking and multimedia computing power. 3K loads games and applications faster, increases frames per second (FPS) for an improved gaming experience and allows for quick transfers and edits of large media files. HyperX 3K provides high-speed SATA Rev. 3.0 (6Gb/s) performance and blazing fast random and sequential read/write speeds. SandForce DuraClass technology provides the latest data integrity protection for ultimate endurance over the entire life of the drive. HyperX 3K SSD comes in a sleek, black and aluminum case design, accentuating the look of any power user's system. For added peace of mind, HyperX 3K SSD is backed by a three-year warranty and legendary Kingston reliability.

Official Drive specifications:
    Current US Amazon Price: $109.99
    Form factor: 2.5"
    Controller: SandForce SF-2281
    Components: MLC NAND (3k P/E Cycles)
    Interface: SATA Rev 3.0 (6Gb/s), SATA Rev 2.0 (3Gb/s)
    Capacity: 120GB
    Sequential Read/Write (SATA Rev. 3.0)2:  555/510MB/s
    Sustained 4KB Random Read/Write3: 20,000/60,000 IOPS
    Max 4KB Random Read/Write3: 85,000/73,000 IOPS
    Dimension: 69.85mm x 100mm x 9.5mm
    Supports S.M.A.R.T., TRIM and Garbage Collection
    Shock Resistance: 1500G
    Storage Temperatures: -40° C to 85° C
    Operating Temperatures: 0°C to 70°C
    Vibration Operating: 2.17G
    Vibration Non-operating: 20G
    MTBF: 1,000,000 Hrs
    PCMARK® Vantage HDD Suite Score4: 60,000
    Power Consumption: 0.455 W (TYP) Idle / 1.58 W (TYP) Read / 2.11 W (TYP) Write
    Warranty/Support: Three-year warranty with free technical support

HyperX 3K SSD - HyperX performance at an exceptional price

The drive we are reviewing and giving away is the Upgrade Kit. The Upgrade Kit comes with the SSD itself, a 2.5" to 3.5" bay adapter, a very nice external USB2.0 Enclosure for transferring your data to the drive before installation, Acronis drive-cloning software CD (which is excellent software!), a SATA6 cable, and a multi-bit screwdriver to use for drive installation.

Pictured: Actual 3.5" adapter (left) & accessories (right) you will win.

The HyperX 3K Series of SSDs are ideal for:
- Decreasing load times of high-resolution PC games
- Increasing frame rates per second for a better gaming experience
- Faster transfers of large media files
- Multitasking
- Movie downloads, transfers and syncs

One of the best ways to directly compare an SSD to the competition is by checking it's PassMark score:

As you can see from the chart, the HyperX 3k 120GB SSD ranks pretty evenly with other drives in its pricerange. We really like this drive and it has been rated well by numerous hardware enthusiast websites and won awards such as TweakTown's "Best Features" SSD award.
broken avatar :(
Date Registered: 11 May 2013
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT
Signature
DeathBringerZen's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
I would definitely use it for game storage. That way, I could download my entire Steam catalogue onto it and could easily transfer it between my PC and Laptop. Would make my custom playing a lot easier too.

That, and the fact I am too cheap to buy a portable HDD. :P
  • DeletedUser
  • Deleted Member
DeletedUser
This user is deleted :(
Cool  :)
When I bought my new PC I wanted an SSD, but I didn't have the money for it. A free one would definitely be nice.
Date Registered: 15 July 2013
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
mrthomas3697's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
mrthomas3697's Contact & Social Linksmrthomas3697mrthomas3697mrthomas3697
I would use it to store Games,and hopefully increase the potential of my pc. Also it would really help me with expanding my game library with newer games  :D . Btw good review :)
Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:48:50 pm by mrthomas3697
The Voice in your Eyes
Date Registered: 26 June 2013
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Breton boys do what Breton boys do.
Alerion's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
That's awesome.
I'd use it to place my os and the most important programs on it. My custom maps didn't find place on my current hdd anymore so I had to tweak my os to move them onto the other one.
  • DeletedUser
  • Deleted Member
DeletedUser
I would use it to store my steam games because i have over 200Gb of games on steam i would also need this for my very big WAW folder :D, when i builded my PC i did not have money for a portable HDD :D
Date Registered: 27 July 2013
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
sand9979's Groups
sand9979's Contact & Social Links
i have a pretty small harddisk so i am only able to have like 1 or 2 games at the same time and with this i can switch games when im bored with the other one :)
  • DeletedUser
  • Deleted Member
DeletedUser
I have a portable HDD where I have my WaW modtools stored and all my stuff on it. I had an SSD drive 10 months ago, but unfortunately it broke for no reason and I didn't had a chance to get a new one. The current HDD I have is a normal disc and it's pretty slow. But 500GB of storage is why I still use it. My dad said that an SSD drive would make my maps and mods compile faster and as well load stuff faster than usual. So the reason I would be using the SSD drive is to store all my modtools data as a backup on the go. When one of these drives would break I would restore the data from the other one, so I can still keep all my wins ;)
EDIT: Oh, and my steam is Ray1235 as usual ;)
Date Registered: 3 August 2013
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Rotting Walker
Primary Group
More
Personal Quote
I'm sorry.
Signature
You ever wonder why we're here?
I would probably put it to use recording, editing, rendering, and moving large videos.
Also transferring games to the 4 other computers that my siblings play on. 
Date Registered: 1 August 2013
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Jstgoodlife's Groups
Jstgoodlife's Contact & Social LinksJorgecoolcool
Personally, If I could win it I would use it for installing the OS and most important programs so PC wil be like a thunder.
Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:34:18 am by Jstgoodlife
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Date Registered: 13 August 2012
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Let's keep this thread on topic from here on in. -DBZ

+1 to off-topic reply -DBZ

lmao. Too funny.

Goliath Script Placer: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,11234.msg125257/topicseen.html#new

"...Christ, people. Learn C, instead of just stringing random characters
together until it compiles (with warnings)..."

-Linus Torvalds
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
daedra descent's Contact & Social LinksBlueSoviet
I'd just use it for Windows or a Linux distro. 120 GB, even if it is SSD, isn't much to work with for game storage but it'd help big time for booting.

Just wondering, if by any chance that my computer doesn't have the proper SATA cable connections, i could just boot it from USB like a flash drive correct?
Date Registered: 28 November 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Fresh Corpse
Primary Group
More
a12d3t's Groups
a12d3t's Contact & Social Linksa12d3ta12d3ta12d3ta12d3ta12d3ta
i wanna start to create nazi zombies mods and mas and i think i need to a upgrade give to me please  :rainbow:
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
Just wondering, if by any chance that my computer doesn't have the proper SATA cable connections, i could just boot it from USB like a flash drive correct?
I've gone ahead and created a discussion topic for this kind of stuff: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=1773.
Date Registered: 16 August 2013
Last active: 11 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Giggity.
Signature
maps:
Undead Town
http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2294.0 (Release)
Origins 1922
http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2659.0
[WIP] mapping 39%, weapons 85%, scripts 65%
[/url]
RamboBadass's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
RamboBadass's Contact & Social LinksAsk merambobadassRamboDaGreat
i would love to have this ssd so i could install win xp pro for my girlfriend, her hard drive failed the other night and she lost everything she had done in The Sims 3 for the past year. its her pride and joy thats why i have not finished a map yet because i tell her to use the computer as much as possible and i have cod for xbox so im good. i use it when shes not home lol.

thanks for your time
Date Registered: 20 August 2013
Last active: 5 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Fresh Corpse
Primary Group
Conway26's Groups
Conway26's Contact & Social Links
I would want this to store things on it so my computer will go faster.

Loading ...