UGX-Mods

UGX-Mods => Giveaways => Topic started by: treminaor on January 20, 2014, 06:24:13 pm

Title: Kingston 120GB SSD Review & Giveaway! CONCLUDED
Post by: treminaor on January 20, 2014, 06:24:13 pm
(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7345145/ShareX/2014-01/HeaderIimage.png)

Kingston 120GB HyperX 3K SSD Review & Giveaway!

> Discussion Topic < (http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=1773.)

Contest is concluded, winner will be announced shortly!

Kingston has been kind enough to provide us with an SSD (Upgrade Kit, screenshots below!) to give away to you guys! If you would like to win it, here's what you have to do:

Do not post more than one entry. Doing so will result in all entries from you being removed and you will not be eligible to win the contest.

The contest will run for two weeks. At the end of the two week period the contest will be closed and we will pick a random forum member from this topic who submitted a valid reply and joined the Steam Group. Good luck!

Kingston SSD Review

Official Product Description (from Amazon):
Budget-minded gamers and enthusiasts will benefit from the lower price of Kingston's new HyperX 3K SSD. This solid-state drive combines premium 3000 program-erase cycle synchronous NAND with the second-generation SandForce controller. Its lower price means more users can experience ultra-responsive gaming, multitasking and multimedia computing power. 3K loads games and applications faster, increases frames per second (FPS) for an improved gaming experience and allows for quick transfers and edits of large media files. HyperX 3K provides high-speed SATA Rev. 3.0 (6Gb/s) performance and blazing fast random and sequential read/write speeds. SandForce DuraClass technology provides the latest data integrity protection for ultimate endurance over the entire life of the drive. HyperX 3K SSD comes in a sleek, black and aluminum case design, accentuating the look of any power user's system. For added peace of mind, HyperX 3K SSD is backed by a three-year warranty and legendary Kingston reliability.

Official Drive specifications:
    Current US Amazon Price: $109.99
    Form factor: 2.5"
    Controller: SandForce SF-2281
    Components: MLC NAND (3k P/E Cycles)
    Interface: SATA Rev 3.0 (6Gb/s), SATA Rev 2.0 (3Gb/s)
    Capacity: 120GB
    Sequential Read/Write (SATA Rev. 3.0)2:  555/510MB/s
    Sustained 4KB Random Read/Write3: 20,000/60,000 IOPS
    Max 4KB Random Read/Write3: 85,000/73,000 IOPS
    Dimension: 69.85mm x 100mm x 9.5mm
    Supports S.M.A.R.T., TRIM and Garbage Collection
    Shock Resistance: 1500G
    Storage Temperatures: -40° C to 85° C
    Operating Temperatures: 0°C to 70°C
    Vibration Operating: 2.17G
    Vibration Non-operating: 20G
    MTBF: 1,000,000 Hrs
    PCMARK® Vantage HDD Suite Score4: 60,000
    Power Consumption: 0.455 W (TYP) Idle / 1.58 W (TYP) Read / 2.11 W (TYP) Write
    Warranty/Support: Three-year warranty with free technical support

HyperX 3K SSD - HyperX performance at an exceptional price (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sm-QlkhlsQ#ws)

The drive we are reviewing and giving away is the Upgrade Kit. The Upgrade Kit comes with the SSD itself, a 2.5" to 3.5" bay adapter, a very nice external USB2.0 Enclosure for transferring your data to the drive before installation, Acronis drive-cloning software CD (which is excellent software!), a SATA6 cable, and a multi-bit screwdriver to use for drive installation.

(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7345145/ShareX/2014-01/box_overview.png)
Pictured: Actual 3.5" adapter (left) & accessories (right) you will win.

The HyperX 3K Series of SSDs are ideal for:
- Decreasing load times of high-resolution PC games
- Increasing frame rates per second for a better gaming experience
- Faster transfers of large media files
- Multitasking
- Movie downloads, transfers and syncs

One of the best ways to directly compare an SSD to the competition is by checking it's
PassMark score (http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/hdd.php?hdd=Kingston+HyperX+3K+120GB+SH103S3120G&id=230):

(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7345145/ShareX/2014-01/2014-01-17_00-55-48.png)

As you can see from the chart, the HyperX 3k 120GB SSD ranks pretty evenly with other drives in its pricerange. We really like this drive and it has been rated well by numerous hardware enthusiast websites and won awards such as TweakTown's "Best Features" SSD award.
Title: Re: Kingston 120GB SSD Review & Giveaway!
Post by: DeathBringerZen on January 20, 2014, 06:39:01 pm
I would definitely use it for game storage. That way, I could download my entire Steam catalogue onto it and could easily transfer it between my PC and Laptop. Would make my custom playing a lot easier too.

That, and the fact I am too cheap to buy a portable HDD. :P
Post by: DeletedUser on January 20, 2014, 06:46:27 pm
Cool  :)
When I bought my new PC I wanted an SSD, but I didn't have the money for it. A free one would definitely be nice.
Post by: mrthomas3697 on January 20, 2014, 06:48:33 pm
I would use it to store Games,and hopefully increase the potential of my pc. Also it would really help me with expanding my game library with newer games  :D . Btw good review :)
Post by: Alerion on January 20, 2014, 07:35:52 pm
That's awesome.
I'd use it to place my os and the most important programs on it. My custom maps didn't find place on my current hdd anymore so I had to tweak my os to move them onto the other one.
Post by: DeletedUser on January 20, 2014, 07:45:04 pm
I would use it to store my steam games because i have over 200Gb of games on steam i would also need this for my very big WAW folder :D, when i builded my PC i did not have money for a portable HDD :D
Post by: sand9979 on January 20, 2014, 08:02:07 pm
i have a pretty small harddisk so i am only able to have like 1 or 2 games at the same time and with this i can switch games when im bored with the other one :)
Post by: DeletedUser on January 20, 2014, 08:07:43 pm
I have a portable HDD where I have my WaW modtools stored and all my stuff on it. I had an SSD drive 10 months ago, but unfortunately it broke for no reason and I didn't had a chance to get a new one. The current HDD I have is a normal disc and it's pretty slow. But 500GB of storage is why I still use it. My dad said that an SSD drive would make my maps and mods compile faster and as well load stuff faster than usual. So the reason I would be using the SSD drive is to store all my modtools data as a backup on the go. When one of these drives would break I would restore the data from the other one, so I can still keep all my wins ;)
EDIT: Oh, and my steam is Ray1235 as usual ;)
Post by: popcorn897 on January 20, 2014, 08:09:17 pm
I would probably put it to use recording, editing, rendering, and moving large videos.
Also transferring games to the 4 other computers that my siblings play on. 
Post by: Jstgoodlife on January 20, 2014, 08:21:33 pm
Personally, If I could win it I would use it for installing the OS and most important programs so PC wil be like a thunder.
Post by: daedra descent on January 20, 2014, 08:26:19 pm
I'd just use it for Windows or a Linux distro. 120 GB, even if it is SSD, isn't much to work with for game storage but it'd help big time for booting.

Just wondering, if by any chance that my computer doesn't have the proper SATA cable connections, i could just boot it from USB like a flash drive correct?
Post by: a12d3t on January 20, 2014, 08:32:40 pm
i wanna start to create nazi zombies mods and mas and i think i need to a upgrade give to me please  :rainbow:
Post by: treminaor on January 20, 2014, 08:37:10 pm
Just wondering, if by any chance that my computer doesn't have the proper SATA cable connections, i could just boot it from USB like a flash drive correct?
I've gone ahead and created a discussion topic for this kind of stuff: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=1773. (http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=1773.)
Post by: RamboBadass on January 20, 2014, 08:37:53 pm
i would love to have this ssd so i could install win xp pro for my girlfriend, her hard drive failed the other night and she lost everything she had done in The Sims 3 for the past year. its her pride and joy thats why i have not finished a map yet because i tell her to use the computer as much as possible and i have cod for xbox so im good. i use it when shes not home lol.

thanks for your time
Post by: Conway26 on January 20, 2014, 08:40:02 pm
I would want this to store things on it so my computer will go faster.
Post by: Zombiejelly on January 20, 2014, 09:13:54 pm
It seems if I had this bad boy it would look real nice sitting next to my x51. I could benefit from this by not losing so many fps while recording. Very nice item, by the review it seems worth the buy
Post by: rubber_balls on January 20, 2014, 09:15:12 pm
i would use it to hold music because i want to someday be a dj an i would use it to hold games and vids for utube so i would be nice  :D
Post by: huskygriffon on January 20, 2014, 09:16:53 pm
Ive been gathering parts for my new computer only have a few more parts to get and one of those happen to be a Storage drive
Post by: DarkWhiss on January 20, 2014, 09:19:26 pm
If i were to win this, i would use this for storing all of my games and mods to this lightning fast SSD so i wouldnt have to keep deleting files on my slow full on space HDD. With this i would be able to enjoy my games and make my maps at lightning fast speeds!
Post by: loko209 on January 20, 2014, 09:30:09 pm
id love to win this I currently have a 5200 rpm 500gb harddrive I can barely run any games and programs to make custom zombie maps id like to win it to install world at war on it with the mods and run it lag free
Post by: kovie13 on January 20, 2014, 09:33:37 pm
I am currently building my new PC and I would normally not have an SSD with my budget so a free one would help.
Post by: xXiJ4KEYiXx on January 20, 2014, 09:39:23 pm
I would like so I could put DayZ on so I can run it super smooth and kill zombies better since I already have a decent pc but just need and ssd and then it would be perfect  :D
Post by: youngtobasco on January 20, 2014, 09:54:15 pm
I would use this to store all of my world at war mods, while also using it as a boot drive.
Post by: timelordalex on January 20, 2014, 10:18:54 pm
It'd be handy for me as a form of backup for somethings (such as my WaW custom maps)
Post by: LeavinGA on January 20, 2014, 10:30:11 pm
i would most likely use it for game storage or as a back up drive incase my main drive gets corrupted or something of that matter.
Post by: ibfalcon671 on January 20, 2014, 10:31:47 pm
I would use to store all my games on because i just got a new computer and the ssd in it is horrible.
Post by: timoles on January 20, 2014, 10:33:03 pm
I would use it for my steam game directory.
Post by: tyr116 on January 21, 2014, 12:08:44 am
I would probably just use it to store my important steam games, to unclutter my hard drive a little.
Post by: ThizzehL on January 21, 2014, 12:14:24 am
I would love to win the ssd because i haven't been able to upgrade any parts yet since I bought a new graphics card along w/ a new power supply.
Post by: BookOfNonsense on January 21, 2014, 12:30:50 am
I run a YouTube channel and quickly run out of space because of the size of the videos. I don't have enough money to purchase a new recording software (currently still running off of Fraps. ;-;) and upon getting a new computer, promptly lost my key for my encoding software. I would use the new drive to have space for more videos. Hopefully this will help my channel and I'll be able to upload more content!
Post by: ANGEL_ANIMOSITY on January 21, 2014, 12:55:22 am
I would be able to complete my map that is stuck in the process, being my computer is full with games, and I would like having being that my computer is dying and it could help me transition over to a new computer.
Post by: Darkmapper on January 21, 2014, 12:59:12 am
I could really use it to speed up some of my favorite tools!
I hit the limit of my old SSD a long time ago and can really need the SSD for tools like Mudbox, 3d-Coat, Photoshop etc.

PS: I hope ex-UGX members are not excluded from the contest? :D
Post by: General_101 on January 21, 2014, 01:08:17 am
I would love this for my games and random files. Playing around with images and random editors makes having extra storage handy.
Post by: jackattack12213 on January 21, 2014, 01:10:27 am
Id use it for all of my games on Steam! It would be so easy to move my games between my house and my grandparents house! Thank you, Even for the consideration!!
Post by: mrpeanut188 on January 21, 2014, 03:09:48 am
I'd place my most played Steam games on there. I'd also keep backups of all my Photoshop and Blender work on the drive for easy access and safe storage.
Post by: Tetsuya Higa on January 21, 2014, 03:59:20 am
I love Gaming and especially World at War and all Call of Duty in general, so I would love to be able to game at the highest quality and at the fastest speed! as well as play UGX supported maps which I cant do due to my computer not being fast enough to run at the highest quality.
Post by: DarkKupid on January 21, 2014, 04:26:28 am
I would most likely start up my Youtube channel, which I've been wanting to start for about three months now, but my PC Isn't doing so good right now.
Post by: zNiiC on January 21, 2014, 05:02:24 am
If I had an SSD I would use it to store my movies and TV shows so I don't have to wait more than a minute for them to start up and play. An SSD would also be very beneficial for the video editing I do. Using After Effects and a regular HDD is not fun. I would also store my OS on it as well as certain games for increased loading times (like BF4). The extra 128GB would also be nice for just storage reasons, as I am nearing my 2TB limit on my computer. Plus, who doesn't like a fast PC?
Post by: moonmaster1 on January 21, 2014, 06:58:57 am
I would use it for softxpand so my girlfriend has computer to use.

Namely I'm trying to get her to play Zandronum with me.  :P Yaylanparties!
Post by: ArcadiusXiii on January 21, 2014, 08:47:59 am
I would use this for sooo much for art, zombies ugx mods, modding, speeding up my gaming and to finally make me able to promote ugx and other great games/mods by being like markiplier, pewdeepe, and all the other great gamers out there, i would finally at last beable to enjoy pc gaming seamlessly which has been my dream for years esspically with all the money i've put into steam and other games that i later found out my pc couldn't handle or ran to slowly to do much of any good playing.
Thank you for taking the time to read my long reply,
-Arcadius Silvermane.
Post by: adfgdagasdf2 on January 21, 2014, 10:11:11 am
I've spent most of my life moving to different countries (not vacations, for years) and it'd be really helpful to have all my games stored and portable :3

Steam ID: Rainbow Frequency (Joined UGX Group)
Post by: chrisn94 on January 21, 2014, 11:33:15 am
I would use this ssd to store my operating system onto to speed my computer up then use any remaining space to store my most played games.
Post by: Syzzer on January 21, 2014, 11:44:53 am
i would use it for faster more reliable gaming. 
Post by: Gu3stbot on January 21, 2014, 11:59:08 am
Well, I recently began using my old Steam account after getting a new computer, which I'm still trying to gear up to make game-worthy. With this, I'd finally have the better hardware and space to install games that require some investment, plus I'd be easily able to transfer data between the computers I use.
Post by: ImmGrizzly on January 21, 2014, 12:24:27 pm
If I Had A Chance Of Winning This Beast I Would Most Likely Use It To Store The Games That I Want To Get But I Cant Get Because My PC Is Only 100GB And 90GB's Is Taken Up By All The Programs That Come With This Damn Thing.

I Would Also Use It To Store World at War And Mod Tools So I Can Have A Go At Making A Map, Because I Would Really like To Make One But I Don't Have Enough Disk Space. :(
Post by: LookitsGizmo on January 21, 2014, 05:51:52 pm
I would use it to store my steam games because i have over 200Gb of games on steam i would also need this for my very big WAW folder :D, when i builded my PC i did not have money for a portable HDD :D
Post by: rpgamer on January 21, 2014, 06:05:13 pm
I would use this for my computer for gaming. Being disabled I am limited in what I can do. But even at 51 I still Love Gaming. This would play those games a lot better
Post by: haxman123 on January 21, 2014, 06:16:47 pm
Mainly games and possibly my work stuff, but mostly games :D
Post by: MrTombone8 on January 21, 2014, 06:39:46 pm
If i had it i would most prob just use it for my PC since its crap this might help and i would try put it into my ps4 see if i can make that more better since i nearly filled the gb on it already and im not enjoying it :/
Post by: frogger242 on January 21, 2014, 10:45:58 pm
I would use this to download custom zombies and play games.
Post by: lpsssmdlj on January 22, 2014, 01:52:27 am
My HDD is on its way out and each day of using my laptop brings louder clicking and buzzing noises along with decreased performance and increased loading times whilst gaming. An SDD would be exactly what I need and it would be a great improvement over what I've had in the past. Gaming with it would be an entirely different experience and maybe I could play some DayZ without constant lag, or any game for that matter  :D
Post by: basziee on January 22, 2014, 02:00:38 pm
I just build my own pc, i'm verry happy with it
i would use the ssd to install windows on it, so my new pc become a monster :D
i got hyper x ram. 16 gig 1600mhz and its really good i like the quality of it
so i'm hoping.. no i now it is a good quality product that i really want

-Basziee aka Schnitzel
Post by: TurK on January 22, 2014, 03:08:40 pm
Since I see myself rendering videos and compressing them a lot, having an SSD to greatly speed up these tasks would be a huge plus. Also, using it to speed up writing when recording gameplay of games I play and to improve load times would be ideal. :)
Post by: SpuGe on January 22, 2014, 04:17:46 pm
I would use it to store games and other important stuffsince i start running out of space :D
Post by: krimzon on January 23, 2014, 10:51:31 am
I would use this for production of my music, to hold an entire library of samples, high quality .wav masters of vocals and instrumentals can be rather large and the higher read and write times on this drive would most certainly cut down on render time.
Post by: riafgurd on January 24, 2014, 12:33:49 am
only game i really play on the computer is WAW so i would use it mainly for that to speed it up.
Post by: kjhfkk on January 24, 2014, 05:14:34 am
i would use it for more HD space because my laptop only has 500GB and for most modern day games that's not alot because most games coming out now are like 30+GB. i'd also use it to speed up my computer when playing crysis 2, and other games.
Post by: DeletedUser on January 24, 2014, 09:15:08 pm
i will use it to store more things on my computer
Post by: Huevos on January 25, 2014, 06:38:07 am
I'm on the quest to upgrade my computer so an SSD would be nice ;D
Post by: aloyswaw on January 25, 2014, 03:04:19 pm
I would really love to Have this freebie Hard Drive because im working at college and will be next year and at the moment I am stuck with a 1GB USB stick due to the fact that I don't get enough money to spend spend spend so this would really make my day as it would mean I'd able to backup my college work to this and use my college work from this on my laptop , pc and computers at my college as I am on a  ICT course... Thankyou and I hope to win! (i don't know how to link my steam on this account sorry... Link seperate? )     :o
Post by: Kouman on January 25, 2014, 03:51:11 pm
Hello!!!

I would love to win that SSD because I cannot afford it. I'm building a new system part-by-part!

My old pc can't run smoothly new games..  :(
Post by: PsychOXRat on January 25, 2014, 05:52:49 pm
If I got the ssd, i would use it to store my youtube videos and games on
Post by: GAFerreira13 on January 25, 2014, 10:26:04 pm
I'd love to earn this SSD so that I can install my OS and some games, making my computer really fast and responsive
Post by: Naminator999 on January 26, 2014, 08:16:47 am
I would use this for games storage so i can load games/levels lightning fast.
Post by: Triceratops on January 28, 2014, 10:21:20 pm
Hello! This is my entry for the Kingston 120gb SSD giveaway, if posting on this thread didn't give it away..  :derp:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Right now, I'm in the process of building my first gaming|recreational|editing computer. Being 13,  I'm on a tight budget with buying components. If I were able to win this SSD I could improve the performance of my future build and fulfill much demanding tasks. Plus, its free!

If I somehow score the SSD, I will be using it for playing my favorite games with quicker loading, boot up my operating system faster, and be able to do graphic design and animation for both school and personal projects.  My laptop is dying and I don't want to invest in another copy of Windows and another hardrive. Its my  only computer system I own so I'm trying to get my build as finished as possible before the lights go out on my laptop.

Unfortunately I can't do much of that with my laptop, which has reasonable specs for the price, but lacks significantly in disk speed and performance. Gaming is not very enjoyable either on this overheated ticking bomb. I would treat this SSD like my first pet hamster who was dying from being eaten alive my his roommate... poor thing, I was going to make him the owner of a rodent brothel! Anyways.. Yeah.. hope I win the HyperX!

BUT.... Good luck to my fellow competitors/peers/World at War'ers and I appreciate the great opportunity for the giveaway! Thank you, staff!   :gusta:
Post by: Lukkie1998 on January 29, 2014, 03:30:37 pm
I will surely use it for windows and of course games.
Would be really nice to win this SSD, because my computer runs not as fast as it did a few years ago.
Always fine to have a SSD!

Lukkie1998
Post by: insanity3241 on January 29, 2014, 10:48:25 pm
I would most likely use it for mapping, to move 1 map from another so I can test it on a different PC.
Post by: delsyum on January 29, 2014, 11:03:05 pm
I would use it to download custom maps faster and really be able to enjoy playing with the FPS boost.
Post by: jman.schlum on January 30, 2014, 04:12:25 pm
What I Would Do with a 120GB SSD

I really hope I can win this SSD because I have always been on the low end of gaming, setting all my graphics to lowest, because I've always had to use my slow laptop. My hard drive has broken multiple times, forcing me to buy a new one before. I really want to be able to explore the possibilities of using an SSD with which I have no experience! I have just created a youtube channel with some other players and I would want to be able to finally do some reliable editing without any concerns with my slow laptop. It would also enable me to create my own intro and designs for my new channel. I simply don't have the money for my own SSD and winning one from my favorite modders would be pretty awesome.

:) thanks UGX for this cool giveaway

(btw not sure if i can advertise here but me and my friends' channel is Skyy Zombies) :nyan:
Post by: miasjl94 on January 31, 2014, 02:19:22 am
i would use it to record my fraps videos and a few games :D
Post by: csfuture on January 31, 2014, 10:42:42 pm
I would use this for my mapping/ modding things for CoDWaW
Post by: Mr_BlackOP on February 01, 2014, 06:29:08 pm
hi,
i really should use this 120gb ssd for games and custom zombie maps ofcourse, i would also use it for recording zombies.
Post by: TheMentalZz on February 01, 2014, 08:47:13 pm
I would use this SSD to store my videos and games on, having all on my computer really making my computer performance drop rapidly.
Post by: blackbird431 on February 02, 2014, 05:00:03 am
If I won this SSD, I would use it for memory storage as my computer gets limited on space quick. Not only would I use it for extra space, I would also use it to be able to play games, and be able to start making custom maps for the community as I can't now as it takes and hour for a basic map to compile. Also I could use it to probably start a youtube channel to play custom maps in the near future and some other things.
Post by: hussein732 on February 02, 2014, 07:42:42 pm
I would use this SSD for gaming becuase i do not have the money at this momentto purchase one and i know kingston makes very good and well made SSD`s and also maybe perhaps some videos if i might want to start a youtube channel!
Title: Re: Kingston 120GB SSD Review & Giveaway! CONCLUDED
Post by: treminaor on February 03, 2014, 06:20:11 am
Contest is concluded, winner will be announced shortly!