Date Registered: 9 September 2014
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
brandontr3's Groups
brandontr3's Contact & Social Links
So i was wondering if there is like specific rules most mappers or even including treyarch that they follow to like make a zombie map look good and not plain. I found out terrian adds more variety or detail to an area instead of leaving the ground flat and having the area look plain. Im looking through treyarch maps to see what other things they do to "add variety" to their map. Do you guys know other little things like that that make a huge difference as so? Also is it just me, or when you like design your map in Radiant with a certain layout you end up not liking it and you want to change it but you get stuck on what route to add in to make the flow feel fluent? Just curious.
broken avatar :(
JbirdHaX
Date Registered: 12 March 2012
Last active: 11 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Community Mapper Elite
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
(_̅(_̅м̅a̅я̅i̅j̅u̅a̅n̅a̅_̅0 ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้
Signature
▒█▀▄▀█ ░█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█  ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█░░ ▀█▀ ▀▀█▀▀ ▒█▀▀▀
▒█▒█▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀  ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█░░ ▒█░ ░▒█░░ ▒█▀▀▀
▒█░░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█  ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█▄▄ ▄█▄ ░▒█░░ ▒█▄▄▄
RadimaX's Groups
Community Mapper Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom mapping in the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
I dont know what treyarch think of but a good map in my opinion is not rooms that are like 2048x2048 units but more narrow rooms or hallways/alleys also make sure the map is not linear to give the players different options each gameplay so not a door leading to a door leading to a door in a straight manner but more like each room have 3 entrances 1 way in 2 way out 1 way in 2 way out nomatter where you came from there is always a way to get out or explore rather than taking the same path 50 games in a row resulting in repetitive gameplay. i feel like making doors buyable from both sides will help the in this case since that allows even more possibilities but then again drop down spots adds variety like in call of the dead so find what works best in each situation. Just make sure its all well connected when designing it. Simple layouts are good for planning it all out so get some friends in a lobby and ask what could be added for better gameplay before going heavy on all the details.

(it goes without saying anything that looks like a square or box even if based on real life room will look shitty so stay away from the 4 walls concept even if there is windows, pillars, debris and other interesting things breaking up the obvious boxiness)

Doors are point of interest will have players going trough in order to survive, adding details around them or near mystery boxes / Packapunch / vending machines can be a great idea since doing it to a massive map can be long and painstaking process so picking key locations to give that extra effort will enhance the overall feeling of the map since it will be noticed litterally every gameplay, even by the least adventurous players.
Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:52:30 am by RadimaX
Date Registered: 25 June 2013
Last active: 9 months ago
Respect
1,024Add +1
Forum Rank
Eviscerator
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
HitmanVere's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
I dont know what treyarch think of but a good map in my opinion is not rooms that are like 2048x2048 units but more narrow rooms or hallways/alleys also make sure the map is not linear to give the players different options each gameplay so not a door leading to a door leading to a door in a straight manner but more like each room have 3 entrances 1 way in 2 way out 1 way in 2 way out nomatter where you came from there is always a way to get out or explore rather than taking the same path 50 games in a row resulting in repetitive gameplay. i feel like making doors buyable from both sides will help the in this case since that allows even more possibilities but then again drop down spots adds variety like in call of the dead so find what works best in each situation. Just make sure its all well connected when designing it. Simple layouts are good for planning it all out so get some friends in a lobby and ask what could be added for better gameplay before going heavy on all the details.

(it goes without saying anything that looks like a square or box even if based on real life room will look shitty so stay away from the 4 walls concept even if there is windows, pillars, debris and other interesting things breaking up the obvious boxiness)

(Image removed from quote.)

Doors are point of interest will have players going trough in order to survive, adding details around them or near mystery boxes / Packapunch / vending machines can be a great idea since doing it to a massive map can be long and painstaking process so picking key locations to give that extra effort will enhance the overall feeling of the map since it will be noticed litterally every gameplay, even by the least adventurous players.

Detailing with Radi 101
Date Registered: 9 September 2014
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
brandontr3's Groups
brandontr3's Contact & Social Links
You made alot of good points! Thanks guys! And thats a good idea to have people play in the map
Date Registered: 7 March 2014
Last active: 3 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
UGX Site Moderator
My Groups
More
More
MZslayer11's Groups
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
MZslayer11's Contact & Social LinksMZslayer11Service_Code_30#2655
There are also Gameplay standards that are a good idea to follow in order to keep your map consistant in scale and make it more realistic. 

http://wiki.modsrepository.com/index.php?title=Call_of_Duty_5:_Gameplay_standards
Date Registered: 1 March 2013
Last active: 5 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
2015 Contest Winner
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Caw caw caw
johndoe's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
2015 Contest Winner
johndoe's Contact & Social Linksmyc153-johndoe
There are also Gameplay standards that are a good idea to follow in order to keep your map consistant in scale and make it more realistic.

http://wiki.modsrepository.com/index.php?title=Call_of_Duty_5:_Gameplay_standards
on top of this, search for articles about level design theory in general
Date Registered: 2 September 2013
Last active: 5 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Ping998
Signature
"My maps might not be the best looking, or the most hyped, but I still release them in hopes that they can make others somewhat happy"

- Ping
Ping998's Groups
Ping998's Contact & Social LinksPing998Ping998ZPing998CreepersAreAwesome
Just make sure that the player always has more than 1 exit in an area and it will be fine.  ;)

Loading ...