Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

Old or New Style Custom Zombies?

POLL
broken avatar :(
Created 8 years ago
by Xperience

Poll

Question: Do you prefer old & original custom zombie maps or new & heavily detailed custom zombie maps?

Classic Old Custom Zombie Maps
New Custom Zombie Maps
Date Registered: 17 January 2015
Last active: 5 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
Professional Change Counter
Signature

zombie lover / beta tester in training / perfectly loved
When custom zombies first emerged from the shadows, mappers spent lots of time working on the maps themselves and less time on the extras. There were generally the 4 basic perks and stock weapons with basic textures. Very few maps included new features (buyable endings, custom & hidden weapons, eastereggs, etc.), but the maps were still pretty impressive and fun to play.

Old Map Examples: Subway, Pirate Ship, Dead Sand Elite, Baseball Field, ZM Mars, Cavern, Verruckt Mansion, Berlin Bank, Epitaph, Hotel, Simpsons, USFO, frt, Skate Park, Area 51, Junkyard, Moon of Fooy, Grid2, Waterworks (You may not even recognize some of these maps)

Nowadays, custom zombies has evolved into an entirely new game featuring new game modes, objectives, weapons, textures, perks, and pretty much everything else you can think of. Thanks to the mappers, modders, and scripters of the community, pretty much anything is possible in a custom zombies map. It seems as if a new map means a new feature or idea coming to life.

New Map Examples: Malibu Drive: Age of Apocalypse, Leviathan, Cheese Cube Unlimited, Exo Zombies, Cryogenic, Library, Project Contamination, Insanatorium, Das Herrenhaus, Alien Defense, UGX Requiem, Stairway to Hell, Deadship

Now my question to you, members of the community, is "Do you miss the old style low key custom maps? Do you like the more recent heavy custom content custom maps? Which do you prefer and why?"
Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:06:23 am by Xperience
Date Registered: 24 August 2014
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Signature

Will do graphic design for maps possibly for free.
GamingWithDon's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
GamingWithDon's Contact & Social LinksDanrules687GamingWithDonHeyItsDonGamingWithDon
I still love the old classics the most, but I believe that has mostly to do with nostalgia and being a noob at zombies.
Personally and overall I believe the new maps to be the best as they usually have the most features and replayability.
Also another reason why I believe new maps to be the best is when I see a new map with something original or a beautifully made map it just puts me in awe and surprise of what some people can achieve.

Thats just my 10 cents though, I'd like to see some more peoples opinions :).
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
This user is deleted :(
When custom zombies first emerged from the shadows, mappers spent lots of time working on the maps themselves and less time on the extras. There were generally the 4 basic perks and stock weapons with basic textures. Very few maps included new features (buyable endings, custom & hidden weapons, eastereggs, etc.), but the maps were still pretty impressive and fun to play.

Old Map Examples: Subway, Pirate Ship, Dead Sand Elite, Baseball Field, ZM Mars, Cavern, Verruckt Mansion, Berlin Bank, Epitaph, Hotel, Simpsons, USFO, frt, Skate Park, Area 51, Junkyard, Moon of Fooy, Grid2, Waterworks (You may not even recognize some of these maps)

Nowadays, custom zombies has evolved into an entirely new game featuring new game modes, objectives, weapons, textures, perks, and pretty much everything else you can think of. Thanks to the mappers, modders, and scripters of the community, pretty much anything is possible in a custom zombies map. It seems as if a new map means a new feature or idea coming to life.

New Map Examples: Malibu Drive: Age of Apocalypse, Leviathan, Cheese Cube Unlimited, Exo Zombies, Cryogenic, Library, Project Contamination, Insanatorium, Das Herrenhaus, Alien Defense, UGX Requiem, Stairway to Hell, Deadship

Now my question to you, members of the community, is "Do you miss the old style low key custom maps? Do you like the more recent heavy custom content custom maps? Which do you prefer and why?"

A good map is a good map at the end of the day, but there is definitely a growing trend towards shitty below par mapping and more custom features these days, which is sad to see. For example, Library is fucking garbage and makes even Cheesecube look detailed, but just because the 'mapper' added some (paid for) custom guns he thinks it's great :please:

On the flip side there are maps that are coming out now that take WAW to the next level both mapping and mod wise but they are few and far between. So on the whole I'd say the standards of mapping are worse, but the very best maps are better than anything that came out in the early days. So it's a double-edged sword really. :-\
Date Registered: 28 September 2013
Last active: 3 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
conn6orsuper117's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
conn6orsuper117's Contact & Social LinksConn6orsuper117ITS-CS117

Oh man I remember waterworks, with Pap weapons out of da box. :accepted: But I'd Rather stick to new maps.

(I wish for a Waterworks remake with a Black ops Feel)
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Date Registered: 13 August 2012
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Let's keep this thread on topic from here on in. -DBZ

+1 to off-topic reply -DBZ

lmao. Too funny.

Goliath Script Placer: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,11234.msg125257/topicseen.html#new

"...Christ, people. Learn C, instead of just stringing random characters
together until it compiles (with warnings)..."

-Linus Torvalds
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
daedra descent's Contact & Social LinksBlueSoviet
Older maps definitely. More dark and challenging for all the right reasons.

I have to disagree with the notion that "custom" textures look better than the stock ones in the vast majority of maps. Usually they are the same if not less quality IMO.
Date Registered: 2 November 2014
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
More
Personal Quote
Embrace the Darkness
Tim Smith's Groups
Tim Smith's Contact & Social Linkstimsmith90THEREALBaDBoY17TimSmithMy clan Website
I still like both , old&new. for me i loved the gaint map . I survived till round 15 withount even jugg. Then the shit started to hit the fan. Can you add both to the poll.
RadihaX
Date Registered: 2 September 2012
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper Elite
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Overrun
Lockdown
Overrun (Black Ops Mod)
Snowglobe
Leviathan
Abandoned School
Ski Resort
Leviathan Redux
JBird632's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom mapping in the UGX-Mods community.
Community Scripter Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom scripting in the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
JBird632's Contact & Social LinksJBird632JBird632JBird632JBird632JBird632Mapper
I'd have to say I like the newer maps as mappers have begun to learn the tools more and have more experience at creating beautiful looking maps. Its actually quite difficult to find a good looking map that is old.
Date Registered: 23 February 2015
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Joeycx's Groups
Joeycx's Contact & Social Links
I believe that newer maps move the community forward, tackle challenges and create in depth maps, along the way. As newer and newer generations, come along and play what era cod zombies games they grew up playing, they will always look back on the core maps that started the trend, and learn to appreciate all maps! Kinda short and sweet, but appreciate all maps for what their worth, even the shittest maps inspire others to make better maps.
  • DeletedUser
  • Deleted Member
DeletedUser
I'm not really into old custom zombies, but actually some of my favourite maps are the oldies. Moon of fooy and Panic Center (gosh, I love that one, especially it's L4D-style gameplay).
  • Exofile
  • Deleted Member
Exofile
I wasn't really a big part of Custom Zombies, or much into it when these "old" maps were made. They just don't look as interesting for me to try currently. I love tons of custom features, to make it feel less like WaW. You see maps like Oil Rig, it really does make me feel like I'm in Bo2. The lighting, features and so on makes it look completely different.
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
Older maps definitely.

I must say you're a man of surprises Mr. DD. I never expected you to say that. ::)

Its actually quite difficult to find a good looking map that is old.

Seelow, Farm Swamp, Nacht der Toten Walder?
Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 12:44:46 pm by steviewonder87
Date Registered: 17 January 2015
Last active: 5 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
Personal Quote
Professional Change Counter
I have to disagree with the notion that "custom" textures look better than the stock ones in the vast majority of maps.
100% agree with this statement. I'm not sure what it is, I just love the stock textures better  :)

Don't forget Panic Center, Dollhouse 2, Project X, Yote's Lair, Zombie Rich, and Dead Sand 8) So many great old maps out there.

But I do admit, reflecting Exo's statement, more recent custom zombie maps simulate that Black Ops 2 playstyle more and more.  :D
RadihaX
Date Registered: 2 September 2012
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper Elite
My Groups
More
More
JBird632's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom mapping in the UGX-Mods community.
Community Scripter Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom scripting in the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
JBird632's Contact & Social LinksJBird632JBird632JBird632JBird632JBird632Mapper
2 of those aren't really that old, and seelow as the only one I could think of that was the exception.

Loading ...