My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT
Signature
DeathBringerZen's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
And Daleks vids didnt spoil them at all? :D

I didn't watch them, so if I hadn't played the map already then no. It would only spoilt the map if you chose to watch the videos. I know the same can be said about playing this map but you wouldn't know that unless you had actually already played Oil Rig or watched the videos.
broken avatar :(
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
This user is deleted :(
I didn't watch them, so if I hadn't played the map already then no. It would only spoilt the map if you chose to watch the videos. I know the same can be said about playing this map but you wouldn't know that unless you had actually already played Oil Rig or watched the videos.
I think I kept enough stuff out of this from Oil Rig - Venom X, CEL-3, Blundergats, Scavenger, Panzers, etc. Plus Oil Rig is a whole lot bigger and has a proper EE and other little things, I don't think this map will ruin anything for anyone who hasn't played it. :) If anything it gets them more prepared, because if they thought this was hard they have no idea...(BTW the Youtube version of Oil Rig is the 'easy' version, not the 'original' version. :P)

Also -

Also, the PaP camo is absolutely horrific. Please, if you’re gonna use something that bad just stick with the default WAW one instead.

I quite like my PAP camo -

I mean I suppose I could have gone for super fast scrolling yellow neon, but yeh ::)
Date Registered: 21 February 2014
Last active: 11 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
ShotgunRagtime's Contact & Social LinksShotgunRagtime
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the beginning. His misunderstanding of the setting of the map should not dock points.

I completely disagree with this. A daytime map is a welcome sight in my eyes. I can only think of a handful of maps that use daytime setting and I thought it  was very nice looking. It certainly looks a hell of alot better than most maps lighting.

Reviewer, you need to remember this; this map was meant to be a small, fun, survival map and was made in a very short period of time and still it has more features, better map detail, and replayability than half the maps that come out nowdays. Maby you need to go back and review your review.
Hmm, on second thought maybe you should give this reviewing lark a miss Ragtime... :-\

There's a lot I disagree with, but I'll just pick out my favourites. :)

Do you know what the word 'industrial' means? Why on Earth would you be expecting "dark hardwood floors, crackling fireplace, impoverished servants"? Baffling.

"Like any abandoned building, the factory has an inherent “creepy” factor that could’ve been brought out with a nighttime sky. Instead, a sunny afternoon kills any sense of dread you may have harbored." I thought I'd go for a nice bright map, rather than, you know, EVERY OTHER MAP. " It’s just the usual WAW fullbright. Boooooring" - can you name me some other bright maps? I'm struggling to think of any TBH.

And you originally gave it 7/10 for custom content? Less than Labyrinth?  :-\

I'd give your review a 4/10.
Uh, the entire "intro" section was designed to be a joke. I'm surprised people actually think I intended the section to be taken literally. Also, I gave the map a 9 in custom content in the final review.

Nowhere did I mention docking points from detail because I didn't like the setting. I docked 3 points because I didn't like the bland lighting. Do a lot of maps use bland lighting? Yes. Does that make it good? No.

Sorry that I gave the map an honest review that I thought it deserved. I've been playing maps for a long time, and have hundreds downloaded, much like all of you. So, I've seen a lot, and some impress me more than others.

Again, 30/40 is a very high score in my book. If anybody read the brief interaction between me and gerard, they'd understand that.

In closing, here's what I learned:

-- Do NOT attempt to inject blatant jokes into your review, they WILL be misinterpreted.
-- Do NOT go against the grain of what the community thinks that the map deserves
-- Give the mapper the score HE thinks he deserves

So, thank you all for your feedback! Especially to those who were able to express their disagreement in a mature manner.

I'm really glad that this review ruffled some feathers, that means I'm doing something right  ;)
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
I didn't particularly have an issue with the score :please: (Although you only increased the custom content score from a 7 to a 9 after Pro questioned it). More just the terrible content of the review itself. :poker:
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
I didn't particularly have an issue with the score :please: (Although you only increased the custom content score from a 7 to a 9 after Pro questioned it). More just the terrible content of the review itself. :poker:
Lol! The last update to the OP was on August 5th. Pro posted his comment today, on the 6th. Although I'm curious what leads you to believe this?

Also, sorry the review offended your sensibilities. It's just a shame that I don't tailor them to your taste, I tailor them to mine. If you don't like them, then don't read them.
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
Lol! The last update to the OP was on August 5th. Pro posted his comment today, on the 6th. Although I'm curious what leads you to believe this?

Also, sorry the review offended your sensibilities. It's just a shame that I don't tailor them to your taste, I tailor them to mine. If you don't like them, then don't read them.
It seems most people didn't really like it tbh. If you're going to review my map of course I'm going to have an opinion on it? Unless this reviewing business only works one way? Like I said I just thought the review just wasn't very good, wouldn't matter if it was my map or someone elses. I think people didn't get the 'joke' at the beginning because it just wasn't very funny and didn't make much sense. :-\

I'm really glad that this review ruffled some feathers, that means I'm doing something right  ;)
So this was the intention of your review? Well that explains a lot I guess.
Date Registered: 27 August 2012
Last active: 4 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Custom Map Reviewer
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Tommy Wonka & the Idea Factory
tomikaze's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Custom Map Reviewer Has permission to post map review topics in the Custom Map Reviews section of the forum.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
Shotgun, this is only your second review...I think, and I'm sure you will learn from this. Things like arguing with Stevie is akin to biting into a cyanide capsule or pressing your face up against the spinning blades of a lawn mower - you gunu die. Keep it up though and get the pulse on what the community thinks of the map too, it may help you see things from a pov that you didn't think of before and allow you to make a more beneficial review.
Mainly what I hope you get out of this is that if you meet Stevie in a back alley it's probably best just to snap your own neck.
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
It seems most people didn't really like it tbh. If you're going to review my map of course I'm going to have an opinion on it? Unless this reviewing business only works one way? Like I said I just thought the review just wasn't very good, wouldn't matter if it was my map or someone elses. I think people didn't get the 'joke' at the beginning because it just wasn't very funny and didn't make much sense. :-\
So this was the intention of your review? Well that explains a lot I guess.
People not agreeing with the score I gave = them disliking the whole review?

I don't mind you giving your opinion, but when you come into my review making false accusations of me "changing" my review, yeah, that's where I draw the line and tell you to back off. It should also be understood that I accept other opinions, but I refuse to alter my own style of reviewing to meet other people's standards.

Also, because you didn't find the jokes funny means that nobody else did?

The fact that my review drew some controversy shows that it got people thinking, and expressing their own view. And I think that's great -- tell me what you didn't agree with. People who read this now will get not only my review, but other people's opinions as to how it should be rated.
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
People not agreeing with the score I gave = them disliking the whole review?

I don't mind you giving your opinion, but when you come into my review making false accusations of me "changing" my review, yeah, that's where I draw the line and tell you to back off. It should also be understood that I accept other opinions, but I refuse to alter my own style of reviewing to meet other people's standards.

Also, because you didn't find the jokes funny means that nobody else did?

The fact that my review drew some controversy shows that it got people thinking, and expressing their own view. And I think that's great -- tell me what you didn't agree with. People who read this now will get not only my review, but other people's opinions as to how it should be rated.

Well you quoted me and Slayer and expressed your astonishment at how we didn't get that the opening paragraph was a 'joke'. I was just explaining the reason why we didn't 'get' it. Maybe some people did IDK.

I already told you, I don't have an issue with your score or your opinions on the map, but I'm not gonna just sit idly by if someone says something about my own work that I vehemently disagree with am I? I just thought a lot of your points were odd to say the least. You still haven't given me an example of another bright, sunny map yet either. I would have thought your options would have been plentiful since you are so 'bored' of them? And your opening line states the map was a 'letdown' - that to me just reeks of an agenda, I could be wrong.

And I actually think your score is just about fair (after the adjustment), I just didn't agree with the actual content of the review like I said. But I do hope you are consistent with your reviews in future (if you plan to continue with them) and score every map on the same principles.
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
Well you quoted me and Slayer and expressed your astonishment at how we didn't get that the opening paragraph was a 'joke'. I was just explaining the reason why we didn't 'get' it. Maybe some people did IDK.

I already told you, I don't have an issue with your score or your opinions on the map, but I'm not gonna just sit idly by if someone says something about my own work that I vehemently disagree with am I? I just thought a lot of your points were odd to say the least. You still haven't given me an example of another bright, sunny map yet either. I would have thought your options would have been plentiful since you are so 'bored' of them? And your opening line states the map was a 'letdown' - that to me just reeks of an agenda, I could be wrong.

And I actually think your score is just about fair (after the adjustment), I just didn't agree with the actual content of the review like I said. But I do hope you are consistent with your reviews in future (if you plan to continue with them) and score every map on the same principles.
Thanks for expressing your concerns about my review maturely, instead of through backhanded insults and passive-aggressiveness. Here are my explanations:

-- Bright maps: Hotel, EgyptZombies, ZombieDesert, ZombieDome, Christmas Warehouse, Zombie Farmhouse. That's just pulling a few examples of recent maps and maps off of the front page of releases.

-- I said that it was a letdown because, again, the opening line is part of the joke.

I had hoped that the high score next to such a bold statement, followed by a rather silly explanation of my "thought process" when first seeing the map would clue everyone in that it was a joke. I was acting like I had thought that the map would be different than it actually was, and was disappointed when the map appeared to be a run-down factory rather than an estate home

-- Yes, I do plan to continue with my reviews, and yes, they are going to be the same. This one was almost no different in style or structure than labyrinth (joke opening paragraphs, same breakdown of map aspects, metaphors/similes sprinkled throughout).
Date Registered: 27 August 2012
Last active: 4 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Custom Map Reviewer
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Tommy Wonka & the Idea Factory
tomikaze's Groups
Custom Map Reviewer Has permission to post map review topics in the Custom Map Reviews section of the forum.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
https://youtu.be/ZlGJ-_S2qsI?t=36s
"Let's be friends so we can make out"

Look, Stevie, I got nothing against you man, but I am NOT making out with you.
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
https://youtu.be/ZlGJ-_S2qsI?t=36s
You have odd taste in music Tom, I took you for more of a Miley Cyrus kinda guy. :P

"Let's be friends so we can make out"

Look, Stevie, I got nothing against you man, but I am NOT making out with you.
My kinda guy ;D So we can skip the making out and get straight down to business? <3

Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
You have odd taste in music Tom, I took you for more of a Miley Cyrus kinda guy. :P
My kinda guy ;D So we can skip the making out and get straight down to business? <3
You read my mind  ;)

Should I dress up as Jenner?  :-*
[UGX] Social Networking & Q.A.
Date Registered: 18 August 2012
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
UGX Team Member
My Groups
More
More
MrSlagovich's Groups
UGX Team Member
And Daleks vids didnt spoil them at all? :D
Only if you watch him...

Loading ...