Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
we have no idea what the future holds for paid betas like this, this is mainly a trial to see what happens. we think its a great way for mappers to get paid for their work but its also a lot of work to set up and clearly there are mixed feelings in the community on the subject.

well i just woke up to the aftermath of whatever mess was here this morning. clearly a lot of people are not happy about the prospect of mappers being able to make money back through paid betas, even if the public release will be free. i'm very surprised by the response of some mappers earlier who don't see the potential in this, and I'm also very disappointed in anyone who was low enough to report the website to Activision on Twitter or otherwise - keep your business here with us if you want the community to survive as a whole.

anyway this is not worth upsetting the community over the money we would have received to continue supporting this website. for example we just spent $4,000USD of requiem/site donations (i have a receipt for this) on a one year license for the Qt framework to use for the upcoming UGX Launcher redesign which will be released before the end of this year. like we've always said in the past we use the money you guys are kind of enough to donate in order to improve your experience and keep the site online. we are also planning on updating our servers again within the next year.

if this is just about stevie and not about UGX supporting the paid donation process then fine, but I just wanted to make it clear where the money is going on our side. please feel free to discuss both in this topic.
broken avatar :(
Date Registered: 19 March 2014
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
ALM] Developer
Signature
Bloodsport :- RELEASED -:
-WIP- Cabin Unique :- 75% -:

TheScotchGuy's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
TheScotchGuy's Contact & Social LinksTheScotchGuyy
I don't see why one map getting donations helps anything i respect requiem donations as that produces the 1.1 mod for an easier release all things that will create more content for the community, one map does not help a community other than the ability to play another map.
Date Registered: 20 June 2014
Last active: 11 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Personal Quote
Behold the power of Mirror Force
Signature
The greatest failure is not to try and fail, but is to fail without trying.
Ramiabdh's Groups
Ramiabdh's Contact & Social Links
I say you add a poll too just for analysis. And about the mess, I may not like the idea, but you UGX guys are free to do whatever you wish to do, as you're not obligated to do what people wish for(it's all optional, for the paying I mean). Just keep on moving with whatever your plans/ideas are, and don't take low people as references to base your work on.
Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:41:04 pm by Ramiabdh
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
ALM] Developer
TheScotchGuy's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
I say you add a poll too just for analysis. And about the mess, I may not like the idea, but you UGX guys are free to do whatever you wish to do, as you're not obligated to do what people wish for(it's all optional). Just keep on moving with whatever your plans/ideas are, and don't take low people as references to base your work on.
i also agree with this comment this should be put to a public vote for the community, if a majority decide "yes we want to pay for beta maps" then so be it but i dont think this should be applied to the website under the admin's choice.
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
This user is deleted :(
As it stands, the only people making money from CZ are Youtubers and Twitch streamers. Often the mapper doesn't even get so much as a mention, and sometimes even the map name isn't even included, let alone a link. So while some guy who downloads, plays, then uploads the map for 30 mins rakes in the money, while the mapper who spent over a year working on it has to sit there watching them, twiddling their thumbs getting absolutely jack shit.

Clearly, something is wrong here.

This is the only feasible way for a mapper to get rewarded by the audience. If you don't think the map is worth $4, or if you just disagree with the whole concept, or if you can find something better to spend your $4 on, then by all means keep it. No-one is forcing anyone to do anything, you can just wait for the normal release. For the record I would have HAPPILY donated $4 to play Leviathan, and many were obviously equally happy to donate to play Requiem.
Date Registered: 8 January 2014
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Embers are the new lens flares
chromastone10's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
chromastone10's Contact & Social Linkschromastone10chromastone1chromastone10
I saw your one post about having a donation button under each mapper, and I really like that idea, it lets people that can help out their favorite mapper, would love to see this added
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
I saw your one post about having a donation button under each mapper, and I really like that idea, it lets people that can help out their favorite mapper, would love to see this added
Yes it would be a great idea.
Date Registered: 8 January 2014
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Embers are the new lens flares
chromastone10's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
chromastone10's Contact & Social Linkschromastone10chromastone1chromastone10
As it stands, the only people making money from CZ are Youtubers and Twitch streamers. Often the mapper doesn't even get so much as a mention, and sometimes even the map name isn't even included, let alone a link. So while some guy who downloads, plays, then uploads the map for 30 mins rakes in the money, while the mapper who spent over a year working on it has to sit there watching them, twiddling their thumbs getting absolutely jack shit.

This is the only feasible way for a mapper to get rewarded by the audience. If you don't think the map is worth $4, or if you just disagree with the whole concept, or if you can find something better to spend your $4 on, then by all means keep it. No-one is forcing anyone to do anything, you can just wait for the normal release. For the record I would have HAPPILY donated $4 to play Leviathan, and many were obviously equally happy to donate to play Requiem.

this is also exactly my argument, but then I fight back with myself saying "Well aren't I doing this to see the enjoyment and reactions of others?" so Im really on the fence with this, I totally agree but disagree at the same time, so I just kinda keep it to myself :P
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
ALM] Developer
TheScotchGuy's Groups

so you saying in chat earlier that you "Weren't" getting any money from this unless ugx decide to means your getting something? ok i see how it works lol
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
so you saying in chat earlier that you "Weren't" getting any money from this unless ugx decide to means your getting something? ok i see how it works lol
I'm glad you've figured it out, well done. :)
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
ALM] Developer
TheScotchGuy's Groups
I'm glad you've figured it out, well done. :)
i was being sarcastic and quoting your contradiction actually =) your flawed your own logic, get your story straight atleast.
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
i was being sarcastic and quoting your contradiction actually =) your flawed your own logic, get your story straight atleast.
Well the donations are going directly to the site first, not me, so I don't see the contradiction there.

I really don't get where you're coming from at all, the donations from this go towards the site and to the mapmaker/s, which is where they should go, or would you prefer it go to some random Youtuber who doesn't give a shit about us or this community?
Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:53:07 pm by steviewonder87
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
Well the donations are going directly to the site, not me, so I don't see the contradiction there.
uh, no that was not the arrangement and I'm not going to let you start lying about it to slip out of any responsibility or blame. you were the recipient of the largest portion and UGX was receiving the smaller portion as site support.

the donation page said this whole time that it was a donation to you with a portion going to benefit UGX. the only reason our paypal was the one in use was because its a business account capable of receiving these donations on a large scale and is already set up to work with the IPN system we have.
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
ALM] Developer
TheScotchGuy's Groups
Well the donations are going directly to the site, not me, so I don't see the contradiction there.
then how does this situation help the mappers?
OnionmanVere Bo21
Date Registered: 27 September 2013
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
ok
Signature
Aye mate you don't know me so y don't you shut tf up ok buddy :)

Scobalula's Groups
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Scobalula's Contact & Social Links
I am 100% for the Requiem Beta Donations and I don't see the problem with it, take a look at how long Requiem and UGX Mod have been in development and the countless Apps such as Weapons Editor (Which IMO is currently the best I know of, saves me hours of headache), just playing Requiem for even an hour will show you the huge amount of work that has been put into the Mod and the map, like Delta said on the updates post and as you've pointed out the huge cost of the framework to be used in the Launcher and also I have no doubt hosting the forum along with the other things like the chat and downloads is not cheap.

In relation to the Stevie situation I am neutral, while I feel everyone should have been given the chance to access Oil Rig, A LOT of work has been put into the map. I can't agree with it, but I also can't disagree with it, but I feel it's worth donating for those who want to access it as I have no doubt the map is very good, and like was repeated 10000 times on the thread, the map will be free when it's released, so I have no issue with.

Loading ...