UGX-Mods Login

or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

[Results] UGX-Mods & ZomMods Mapping Contest 2015 Winners!

HOTPINNED
broken avatar :(
Created 8 years ago
by treminaor
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 9 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
First place: Abandoned School by JBird632
Second place: Encampment by ProRevenge
Third Place: Project Yeti by chromastone10
All other maps submitted are eligible for the runner-up $10 prize.

If your map is in the list above, please PM me on UGX with your PayPal address so that your prize money can be sent to you.

Remember that you need to wait the 7 day exclusivity period before posting your maps for download on any other website besides UGX and ZomMods, or your prize payment will NOT be issued.
The Last of Us
Date Registered: 28 September 2013
Last active: 3 weeks ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
ฏ๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎
Signature
smasher248's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
smasher248's Contact & Social Linkssmasher248smasher248
wrong
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
Date Registered: 17 January 2014
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If you want scripts / features made for you, then contact me by PM or email / skype etc
it will cost you tho so if you have no intention of reciprocating don't even waste my time ;)
Harry Bo21's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Harry Bo21's Contact & Social Links[email protected]HarryBo21HarryBo000
congrats guys!
Date Registered: 15 October 2014
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Rotting Walker
Primary Group
gr00t's Groups
gr00t's Contact & Social Links
1st place isn't a surprise, but 2nd and 3rd place results are a little unexpected.

After Jbird's map most of the maps were closer and tougher to evaluate.

I would have assumed gamer9294's "Abandoned Mine" would have placed 2nd or 3rd even with the darkness issues.  There was a lot of thought and interesting gameplay mechanics included in that map.

Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:13:21 pm by gr00t
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
1st place isn't a surprise, but 2nd and 3rd place results are a little unexpected.

After Jbird's map most of the maps were closer and tougher to evaluate.

I would have assumed gamer9294's "Abandoned Mine" would have placed 2nd or 3rd even with the darkness issues.  There was a lot of thought and interesting gameplay mechanics included in that map.
There's really no way to handle it without people disagreeing on the results. If we had chosen the winners ourselves then we would have chosen differently than the results of the contest and people would be upset. And now we left it up to the community to decide and big surprise people are still upset lol.
Respect
Forum Rank
Rotting Walker
Primary Group
gr00t's Groups
There's really no way to handle it without people disagreeing on the results. If we had chosen the winners ourselves then we would have chosen differently than the results of the contest and people would be upset. And now we left it up to the community to decide and big surprise people are still upset lol.

Not upset, I'm just surprised by the results.  Well I guess actually not maybe.   
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
Not upset, I'm just surprised by the results.  Well I guess actually not maybe.
Wasn't implying that you specifically were upset, was just speaking in general. There are people who are upset.
Date Registered: 8 June 2013
Last active: 3 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Welcome to Luketown
sevengpluke's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
sevengpluke's Contact & Social Linksdalukesevengplukesevengplukesevengplukesevengpluke
I knew these maps would be top 3 lol. Only difference is that i thought chroma's map would get 2nd. Good job map creators :accepted:
Date Registered: 29 July 2015
Last active: 5 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
children should not be playing call of duty
Signature
⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Koan's Groups
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
Koan's Contact & Social Linksh-r_Koan_my website
I realise this isn't really possible with SMF polls, but it would have been good to see a voting system in which users can vote for their top 3, rather than being limited to 1 vote.

For example. 5 users want to vote. Their favourite maps are:
(i'm just picking random maps here)

1st favourite2nd favourite3rd favourite
User 1Abandoned SchoolEncampmentProject Yeti
User 2Project YetiAbandoned SchoolDead Palace
User 3EncampmentEstateThe Abandoned Mine
User 4Abandoned SchoolDead PalaceEncampment
User 5Zombie San CristobalDead PalaceWayne Manor

Now, if the 5 users only have 1 vote, then the results look like this:
Spoiler: click to open...
Abandoned School2
Project Yeti1
Encampment1
Zombie San Cristobal1
The Abandoned Mine0
Wayne Manor0
Dead Palace0
Estate0

If, for example, users could vote for their top 3 in order - where 3 points goes to their favourite, 2 points to 2nd and 1 point to their 3rd - then the results look like this:
Abandoned School9
Encampment6
Dead Palace5
Project Yeti4
Estate2
The Abandoned Mine1
Wayne Manor1
Zombie San Cristobal1

The latter table is obviously much fairer and represents users' opinions more accurately. I think something like this should be implemented into future contests.

By the way my tables don't represent my own opinion, I just picked random maps to illustrate my point :P
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
I realise this isn't really possible with SMF polls, but it would have been good to see a voting system in which users can vote for their top 3, rather than being limited to 1 vote.

For example. 5 users want to vote. Their favourite maps are:
(i'm just picking random maps here)

1st favourite2nd favourite3rd favourite
User 1Abandoned SchoolEncampmentProject Yeti
User 2Project YetiAbandoned SchoolDead Palace
User 3EncampmentEstateThe Abandoned Mine
User 4Abandoned SchoolDead PalaceEncampment
User 5Zombie San CristobalDead PalaceWayne Manor

Now, if the 5 users only have 1 vote, then the results look like this:
Abandoned School2
Project Yeti1
Encampment1
Zombie San Cristobal1
The Abandoned Mine0
Wayne Manor0
Dead Palace0
Estate0

If, for example, users could vote for their top 3 in order - where 3 points goes to their favourite, 2 points to 2nd and 1 point to their 3rd - then the results look like this:
Abandoned School9
Encampment6
Dead Palace5
Project Yeti4
Estate2
The Abandoned Mine1
Wayne Manor1
Zombie San Cristobal1

The latter table is obviously much fairer and represents users' opinions more accurately. I think something like this should be implemented into future contests.

By the way my tables don't represent my own opinion, I just picked random maps to illustrate my point :P
If all of those people picked Abandoned School as their first choice then it wouldnt change the results from what they already are, it would just make the other maps have higher numbers associated with them.
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Koan's Groups
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
If all of those people picked Abandoned School as their first choice then it wouldnt change the results from what they already are, it would just make the other maps have higher numbers associated with them.

That's not the point I'm making though. In a future contest, users' opinions of a map may not be reflected in the results if they're limited to only 1 vote. It doesn't matter if Abandoned School wins either way, the point is that the remaining results don't represent the user opinions and the results aren't as fair as they could be.

Maps "having numbers associated with them" is what voting results are. The example table I used was just to illustrate how it could unfold. A map that people really like may come 4th or 5th under a 1 vote system, but if people are allowed to choose their top 3 it may come 3rd, and the mapper wins a better prize.
Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:17:44 am by Koan
Date Registered: 17 January 2014
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Harry Bo21's Contact & Social Links[email protected]HarryBo21HarryBo000
why are we all "suggesting changes" yet again to something thought up by the site staff here?

always "actively trying" to find some sort of problem with it?

Its their choice how they run it, and no matter how they do anything someone "suggests" something. Whats wrong with just following as its given? Is that such a problem?

Its a simple contest, you get one vote. Thats it. Its not a army movement campaign
Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:21:14 am by Harry Bo21
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Koan's Groups
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
why are we all "suggesting changes" yet again to something thought up by the site staff here?

always "actively trying" to find some sort of problem with it?

Its their choice how they run it, and no matter how they do anything someone "suggests" something. Whats wrong with just following as its given? Is that such a problem?

Its a simple contest, you get one vote. Thats it. Its not a army movement campaign

Dude. All I'm suggesting is a fairer voting system, I'm not trying to completely re-organise how the contest is run... I never "actively tried to seek problems with it", I'd rather you didn't accuse me of such.

And what's wrong with suggestions anyway? Am I not allowed to voice my opinion?
Respect
Forum Rank
Rotting Walker
Primary Group
gr00t's Groups

Expressed similar thoughts here prior to the contest ending.  Granted, it was too late to even consider this and SMF limitations could preclude implementation of weighted distribution.

http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,9289.msg103356.html#msg103356

There can be inherent issues with polling accuracy when limiting users to a single choice.   

If only 1st place counted then a single vote can reflect accurately when controlled (and randomized).   However results can be skewed beneath 1st place without additional weights and measures to control for selection bias and other factors of a pool or sample.

Abandoned School was the best map, and deserved first place.  I think we'd both agree on that, and most users would too.
After that the competition was a lot closer.   Here is where things get a bit more complex. Do users vote with their first choice (Abandoned School) assuming that it will win regardless, or vote to influence 2nd or 3rd place. 

Of the 39 users that voted for Abandoned School, how would those users voted if given the opportunity to select a 2nd or 3rd choice with less weighting?   

If even half of those 39 users voted the same on a 2nd or 3rd choice then 2nd and 3rd place may reflect different results.

This is what Koan is aiming at in his response.  I understand and also share similar sentiments.
Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:42:02 am by gr00t

Loading ...