UGX-Mods

Contests => Past Contests => UGX-Mods & ZomMods Mapping Contest 2015 => Topic started by: treminaor on December 09, 2015, 10:20:41 pm

Title: [Results] UGX-Mods & ZomMods Mapping Contest 2015 Winners!
Post by: treminaor on December 09, 2015, 10:20:41 pm
First place: Abandoned School by JBird632
Second place: Encampment by ProRevenge
Third Place: Project Yeti by chromastone10
All other maps submitted are eligible for the runner-up $10 prize.

If your map is in the list above, please PM me (http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=1) on UGX with your PayPal address so that your prize money can be sent to you.

Remember that you need to wait the 7 day exclusivity period before posting your maps for download on any other website besides UGX and ZomMods, or your prize payment will NOT be issued.
Title: Re: [Results] UGX-Mods & ZomMods Mapping Contest 2015 Winners!
Post by: smasher248 on December 09, 2015, 10:41:08 pm
wrong
Post by: treminaor on December 09, 2015, 10:44:55 pm
wrong
Post by: Harry Bo21 on December 09, 2015, 11:10:08 pm
congrats guys!
Post by: gr00t on December 09, 2015, 11:12:49 pm
1st place isn't a surprise, but 2nd and 3rd place results are a little unexpected.

After Jbird's map most of the maps were closer and tougher to evaluate.

I would have assumed gamer9294's "Abandoned Mine" would have placed 2nd or 3rd even with the darkness issues.  There was a lot of thought and interesting gameplay mechanics included in that map.

Post by: treminaor on December 09, 2015, 11:14:45 pm
1st place isn't a surprise, but 2nd and 3rd place results are a little unexpected.

After Jbird's map most of the maps were closer and tougher to evaluate.

I would have assumed gamer9294's "Abandoned Mine" would have placed 2nd or 3rd even with the darkness issues.  There was a lot of thought and interesting gameplay mechanics included in that map.
There's really no way to handle it without people disagreeing on the results. If we had chosen the winners ourselves then we would have chosen differently than the results of the contest and people would be upset. And now we left it up to the community to decide and big surprise people are still upset lol.
Post by: gr00t on December 09, 2015, 11:26:01 pm
There's really no way to handle it without people disagreeing on the results. If we had chosen the winners ourselves then we would have chosen differently than the results of the contest and people would be upset. And now we left it up to the community to decide and big surprise people are still upset lol.

Not upset, I'm just surprised by the results.  Well I guess actually not maybe.   
Post by: treminaor on December 09, 2015, 11:27:42 pm
Not upset, I'm just surprised by the results.  Well I guess actually not maybe.
Wasn't implying that you specifically were upset, was just speaking in general. There are people who are upset.
Post by: sevengpluke on December 09, 2015, 11:37:20 pm
I knew these maps would be top 3 lol. Only difference is that i thought chroma's map would get 2nd. Good job map creators :accepted:
Post by: Koan on December 09, 2015, 11:55:27 pm
I realise this isn't really possible with SMF polls, but it would have been good to see a voting system in which users can vote for their top 3, rather than being limited to 1 vote.

For example. 5 users want to vote. Their favourite maps are:
(i'm just picking random maps here)

1st favourite2nd favourite3rd favourite
User 1Abandoned SchoolEncampmentProject Yeti
User 2Project YetiAbandoned SchoolDead Palace
User 3EncampmentEstateThe Abandoned Mine
User 4Abandoned SchoolDead PalaceEncampment
User 5Zombie San CristobalDead PalaceWayne Manor

Now, if the 5 users only have 1 vote, then the results look like this:
Spoiler: click to open...
Abandoned School2
Project Yeti1
Encampment1
Zombie San Cristobal1
The Abandoned Mine0
Wayne Manor0
Dead Palace0
Estate0

If, for example, users could vote for their top 3 in order - where 3 points goes to their favourite, 2 points to 2nd and 1 point to their 3rd - then the results look like this:
Abandoned School9
Encampment6
Dead Palace5
Project Yeti4
Estate2
The Abandoned Mine1
Wayne Manor1
Zombie San Cristobal1

The latter table is obviously much fairer and represents users' opinions more accurately. I think something like this should be implemented into future contests.

By the way my tables don't represent my own opinion, I just picked random maps to illustrate my point :P
Post by: treminaor on December 09, 2015, 11:58:09 pm
I realise this isn't really possible with SMF polls, but it would have been good to see a voting system in which users can vote for their top 3, rather than being limited to 1 vote.

For example. 5 users want to vote. Their favourite maps are:
(i'm just picking random maps here)

1st favourite2nd favourite3rd favourite
User 1Abandoned SchoolEncampmentProject Yeti
User 2Project YetiAbandoned SchoolDead Palace
User 3EncampmentEstateThe Abandoned Mine
User 4Abandoned SchoolDead PalaceEncampment
User 5Zombie San CristobalDead PalaceWayne Manor

Now, if the 5 users only have 1 vote, then the results look like this:
Abandoned School2
Project Yeti1
Encampment1
Zombie San Cristobal1
The Abandoned Mine0
Wayne Manor0
Dead Palace0
Estate0

If, for example, users could vote for their top 3 in order - where 3 points goes to their favourite, 2 points to 2nd and 1 point to their 3rd - then the results look like this:
Abandoned School9
Encampment6
Dead Palace5
Project Yeti4
Estate2
The Abandoned Mine1
Wayne Manor1
Zombie San Cristobal1

The latter table is obviously much fairer and represents users' opinions more accurately. I think something like this should be implemented into future contests.

By the way my tables don't represent my own opinion, I just picked random maps to illustrate my point :P
If all of those people picked Abandoned School as their first choice then it wouldnt change the results from what they already are, it would just make the other maps have higher numbers associated with them.
Post by: Koan on December 10, 2015, 12:16:00 am
If all of those people picked Abandoned School as their first choice then it wouldnt change the results from what they already are, it would just make the other maps have higher numbers associated with them.

That's not the point I'm making though. In a future contest, users' opinions of a map may not be reflected in the results if they're limited to only 1 vote. It doesn't matter if Abandoned School wins either way, the point is that the remaining results don't represent the user opinions and the results aren't as fair as they could be.

Maps "having numbers associated with them" is what voting results are. The example table I used was just to illustrate how it could unfold. A map that people really like may come 4th or 5th under a 1 vote system, but if people are allowed to choose their top 3 it may come 3rd, and the mapper wins a better prize.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on December 10, 2015, 12:19:54 am
why are we all "suggesting changes" yet again to something thought up by the site staff here?

always "actively trying" to find some sort of problem with it?

Its their choice how they run it, and no matter how they do anything someone "suggests" something. Whats wrong with just following as its given? Is that such a problem?

Its a simple contest, you get one vote. Thats it. Its not a army movement campaign
Post by: Koan on December 10, 2015, 12:30:38 am
why are we all "suggesting changes" yet again to something thought up by the site staff here?

always "actively trying" to find some sort of problem with it?

Its their choice how they run it, and no matter how they do anything someone "suggests" something. Whats wrong with just following as its given? Is that such a problem?

Its a simple contest, you get one vote. Thats it. Its not a army movement campaign

Dude. All I'm suggesting is a fairer voting system, I'm not trying to completely re-organise how the contest is run... I never "actively tried to seek problems with it", I'd rather you didn't accuse me of such.

And what's wrong with suggestions anyway? Am I not allowed to voice my opinion?
Post by: gr00t on December 10, 2015, 12:35:18 am

Expressed similar thoughts here prior to the contest ending.  Granted, it was too late to even consider this and SMF limitations could preclude implementation of weighted distribution.

http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,9289.msg103356.html#msg103356 (http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,9289.msg103356.html#msg103356)

There can be inherent issues with polling accuracy when limiting users to a single choice.   

If only 1st place counted then a single vote can reflect accurately when controlled (and randomized).   However results can be skewed beneath 1st place without additional weights and measures to control for selection bias and other factors of a pool or sample.

Abandoned School was the best map, and deserved first place.  I think we'd both agree on that, and most users would too.
After that the competition was a lot closer.   Here is where things get a bit more complex. Do users vote with their first choice (Abandoned School) assuming that it will win regardless, or vote to influence 2nd or 3rd place. 

Of the 39 users that voted for Abandoned School, how would those users voted if given the opportunity to select a 2nd or 3rd choice with less weighting?   

If even half of those 39 users voted the same on a 2nd or 3rd choice then 2nd and 3rd place may reflect different results.

This is what Koan is aiming at in his response.  I understand and also share similar sentiments.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on December 10, 2015, 12:41:35 am
Dude. All I'm suggesting is a fairer voting system, I'm not trying to completely re-organise how the contest is run... I never "actively tried to seek problems with it", I'd rather you didn't accuse me of such.

And what's wrong with suggestions anyway? Am I not allowed to voice my opinion?
lol but thats my point

look ugx thought of something

now lets all just point out everything wrong with it

everytime

lol anyway i aint making a deal, im just saying its so typical
Post by: killingerk on December 10, 2015, 12:43:26 am
thanks for all the maps you guys made for us good job guys winning the contest
Post by: treminaor on December 10, 2015, 12:45:12 am
As long as we're all talking about things that should have been different about the contest, my personal opinion is that we should have not allowed the same consecutive winner for a mapping contest.

I see your point about the voting system, but I'm not going to go through the trouble of editing SMF's voting system. We can't really switch to a third party polling system because then we have no way of verifying that each vote is from a legitimate person and that no one is abusing the system.
Post by: killingerk on December 10, 2015, 12:55:45 am
As long as we're all talking about things that should have been different about the contest, my personal opinion is that we should have not allowed the same consecutive winner for a mapping contest.

I see your point about the voting system, but I'm not going to go through the trouble of editing SMF's voting system. We can't really switch to a third party polling system because then we have no way of verifying that each vote is from a legitimate person and that no one is abusing the system.
that's okay I didn't know you had to vote or common. I can see a lot of people making accounts to cheat if it was a vote button
Post by: MAK911 on December 10, 2015, 12:58:46 am
But, trem, then Jbird would have no reason to come back.  :troll:
Post by: chromastone10 on December 10, 2015, 01:06:59 am
Had lots of fun participating, glad I at least won 3rd, thanks for anyone who voted for me, mainly entered to win to get a better laptop to make better maps for you guys in the community, just ran out of time with moving and getting my license this year, hopefully next contest I can focus more, have a much better PC instead of a standard walmart one, and we can do it with bo3 mod tools :D
Post by: gr00t on December 10, 2015, 01:21:22 am

Yeah, my opinion obviously isn't worth more than anyone else, especially not yours, but I think that would be doing a disservice to the community.  Skilled mappers shouldn't be penalized.   They set a high bar, and create challenges for others to break.

Personally I think it would be better if winners and losers are chosen by staff that are impartial and non-biased, but that might limit your number of judges to a handful of people that can be trusted.  The obvious downside of judging is it can impact personal relationships.

Just my point of view, maybe it's good feedback or not, I've said enough already. lol
Post by: treminaor on December 10, 2015, 01:27:07 am
Personally I think it would be better if winners and losers are chosen by staff that are impartial and non-biased, but that might limit your number of judges to a handful of people that can be trusted.  The obvious downside of judging is it can impact personal relationships.

Just my point of view, maybe it's good feedback or not, I've said enough already. lol
This was how we handled our last UGX mapping contest and it didn't really turn out any better.
Post by: KDXDARK on December 10, 2015, 01:28:24 am
Congrats to all the people that participate on the contest!  8)
Post by: ShotgunRagtime on December 10, 2015, 02:08:09 am
This was how we handled our last UGX mapping contest and it didn't really turn out any better.
I understand your POV of this, and I'm not trying to start an argument, but I'd like to say:

IMHO the most important thing isn't how happy the public is by the turnout -- they'll never be happy. To me, the most important aspect is the fairness of the contest.

The fundamental flaw with public voting is that 99% of the population DOES NOT play every map. Most people probably play only one or two of the maps, then vote.

I played most of the contest maps: however, I refrained from voting, as I felt it would be unfair if I voted without playing every map.

The saddest thing, to me at least, is that casual players who visit UGX once every 3 months, posting nothing and only DL'ing maps, are able to hop onto the contest page, say

"Oh there's Jbird/Chroma/whoever else (no offense to these 2, just examples), I know them so I'll play their map and vote for it"

And then these players promptly vote for said map without playing any others. It sucks, because just imagine if the best map was one with an unflashy title and WiP, made by an unknown, and nobody played it for said reasons and it lost despite its quality.

So, I would just like to bring that up in case you maybe didn't think about it. Anyway, I REALLY appreciate the work UGX and ZomMod staff and mappers put into this, so please don't take this as shit-talking, just wanted to say how I feel.
Post by: treminaor on December 10, 2015, 02:12:14 am
The saddest thing, to me at least, is that casual players who visit UGX once every 3 months, posting nothing and only DL'ing maps, are able to hop onto the contest page, say

"Oh there's Jbird/Chroma/whoever else (no offense to these 2, just examples), I know them so I'll play their map and vote for it"

And then these players promptly vote for said map without playing any others. It sucks, because just imagine if the best map was one with an unflashy title and WiP, made by an unknown, and nobody played it for said reasons and it lost despite its quality.

So, I would just like to bring that up in case you maybe didn't think about it. Anyway, I REALLY appreciate the work UGX and ZomMod staff and mappers put into this, so please don't take this as shit-talking, just wanted to say how I feel.
believe me we're already aware of this and it's sad.
Post by: RadimaX on December 10, 2015, 02:30:16 am
i voted for encampment it had a bit much foliage but i liked the layout so congratulations to all the contest maps, they was fun to explore and discover. People voiced their opinions and the maps that won did not directly win because they ware BAD rather the opposite if nobody enjoyed them they would vote for something else.  the maps with most effort put into them deserved to win.
Post by: ShotgunRagtime on December 10, 2015, 04:42:29 am
believe me we're already aware of this and it's sad.
Yeah, I figured you guys did. Congratulations to all of you for the successful contest nonetheless, it brought a lot of new maps to the community: I just hope that the mappers will follow up in good faith and work to update/improve their maps with time. Anyway, as Radi said, I still feel like the contest results were pretty fair, and I guess nothing is perfect.
Post by: Centric on December 10, 2015, 12:07:58 pm
All other maps submitted are eligible for the runner-up $10 prize.

Does this imply we all get $10 basically for just participating or will there be another vote for the runner up(s)?
Post by: MakeCents on December 10, 2015, 03:14:25 pm
Congratulations to the winners! I don't think I will ever join one of these contests, but if I did, I would want them to be voted on and judged the way this one was done. I think you guys did a good job in letting the community choose.

Only thing I would think of adding is separating prize moneys by giving categories. Best mapping, best features, best custom content, best whatever, then give multiple voting poles, rather than 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, or along with, idk. At least I hear people break down maps this way anyway, especially in the review section.

I only had time to play one of the maps so that is what I voted for. :( Guilty. Keep up the good work.
Post by: treminaor on December 10, 2015, 07:22:22 pm
Does this imply we all get $10 basically for just participating or will there be another vote for the runner up(s)?
We put a cap on ten max runner-ups. Since we didn't get enough submissions to pass our runner-up cap, all maps that didn't win 1st 2nd or 3rd are counted as runner-ups.
Post by: Bwc66930 on December 10, 2015, 07:52:38 pm
We put a cap on ten max runner-ups. Since we didn't get enough submissions to pass our runner-up cap, all maps that didn't win 1st 2nd or 3rd are counted as runner-ups.
Seems you expected more people to summit maps
Post by: Koan on December 10, 2015, 08:05:13 pm
Does ProRevenge get his mapper status yet? NDU Reimagined and Encampment are worthy of it in my opinion. :P I'm guessing all the contest winners will be put into MM/Launcher soon?
Post by: Harry Bo21 on December 10, 2015, 08:24:19 pm
Does ProRevenge get his mapper status yet? NDU Reimagined and Encampment are worthy of it in my opinion. :P I'm guessing all the contest winners will be put into MM/Launcher soon?
I was told he needs a map on map manager to get it. I asked last time
Post by: treminaor on December 10, 2015, 08:30:05 pm
I was told he needs a map on map manager to get it. I asked last time
This is correct. And since I haven't been adding new maps to the MM it's currently not possible to get mapper status... which isn't really fair. If these maps are worthy of being on the MM then I guess we can just pretend like they're already there and give him the status.

Once the UGXL goes public in Early January (fingers crossed), we will resume adding maps regularly and work backwards adding all of the maps that have been released in the last ~4-6 months that deserve it.
Post by: KDXDARK on December 12, 2015, 01:49:38 pm
This is correct. And since I haven't been adding new maps to the MM it's currently not possible to get mapper status... which isn't really fair. If these maps are worthy of being on the MM then I guess we can just pretend like they're already there and give him the status.
Can i get the mapper status? i already have a map in the map manager and i release this new one  :please: :troll:
Post by: Centric on December 12, 2015, 11:49:18 pm
Can i get the mapper status? i already have a map in the map manager and i release this new one  :please: :troll:

Sometimes all it takes is for someone to ask nicely :P
Post by: SPi on December 13, 2015, 06:50:05 pm
Congrats people!
Jbird632 School was epic, im sure it deserved 1st Place.
ProRevenge as 2nd is also fair!
GG
Post by: DeletedUser on December 13, 2015, 06:57:16 pm

No i deserve a mapper status, i have my map almost a year in the manager  :troll:
Post by: MAK911 on December 13, 2015, 10:10:16 pm
No i deserve a mapper status, i have my map almost a year in the manager  :troll:
Daaaammnnnn.. Trem be giving away Mapper status like it's Community Map Reviewer status. :troll:
Post by: treminaor on December 13, 2015, 11:17:36 pm
Daaaammnnnn.. Trem be giving away Mapper status like it's Community Map Reviewer status. :troll:
I just feel bad since its my fault they haven't gotten it already not theirs lol. I'm not giving it to anyone who doesn't deserve it - RDV's deserved it since before Thirty Seven but it's not on the Manager since I stopped updating it.
Post by: sevengpluke on December 14, 2015, 04:04:20 am
I just feel bad since its my fault they haven't gotten it already not theirs lol. I'm not giving it to anyone who doesn't deserve it - RDV's deserved it since before Thirty Seven but it's not on the Manager since I stopped updating it.

Can I be permitted to mapper status as well? :troll:

I believe my map would of made the manager have you had the time to do so. Thanks.
Post by: HitmanVere on December 14, 2015, 12:10:58 pm
Can I be permitted to mapper status as well? :troll:

I believe my map would of made the manager have you had the time to do so. Thanks.

Oh my fucking god, this thread now :lol:
Post by: SirJammy on December 14, 2015, 01:09:24 pm
Can i get mapper elite please because.. I.. Mayb... Well urm,.. PRANKED! Haha, LOOK CAMERAS OVER THERE BRO :troll: :troll:
Post by: MrSlagovich on December 14, 2015, 01:39:25 pm
Yo trem while you're at it hook me up eh?
Post by: tomikaze on December 14, 2015, 03:26:10 pm
What do you mean by this MAK!? Are you telling me that Map Reviewer status is easy to get? ARE YOU TELLING ME...who am I kidding? It's time to give up on life. I'm becoming a brony, gunu start watching anime and freebasing skittles.
Post by: MAK911 on December 14, 2015, 10:24:17 pm
What do you mean by this MAK!? Are you telling me that Map Reviewer status is easy to get? ARE YOU TELLING ME...who am I kidding? It's time to give up on life. I'm becoming a brony, gunu start watching anime and freebasing skittles.
HeX Reapers 2.0
Post by: DeletedUser on December 14, 2015, 11:58:32 pm
HeX Reapers 2.0
Actually that description fits your perspective pretty well, ESPECIALLY that last part. ::)
Post by: MAK911 on December 15, 2015, 12:42:03 am
Actually that description fits your perspective pretty well, ESPECIALLY that last part. ::)
Who doesn't love skittles?
Post by: Uk_ViiPeR on December 19, 2015, 01:41:42 am

Can a picture give me mapping status?

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fpuu.sh%2FlX71W%2Fda901ea6ec.jpg&hash=2b7ebbc0aeca45cddefbb3f5e3cc2b8e8f117b3f)

:alone:
Post by: treminaor on December 19, 2015, 01:42:42 am
Can a picture give me mapping status?

(http://puu.sh/lX71W/da901ea6ec.jpg)

:alone:
Based on the quality of the visuals of that map I'd say you've got it coming, but it does need to be released before I can do anything for you. Sorry.
Post by: Uk_ViiPeR on December 19, 2015, 01:44:34 am
Based on the quality of the visuals of that map I'd say you've got it coming, but it does need to be released before I can do anything for you. Sorry.

Can I release it without weapons and bosses? That's all I need to do for the 4 maps to be released haha!
Post by: Koan on December 19, 2015, 01:46:49 am
Pls rename thread to "users ask treminaor for mapper status"
Post by: HitmanVere on December 19, 2015, 01:51:03 am
Pls rename thread to "users ask treminaor for mapper status"

Inb4 everyone is Mapper, so next thing this topic is going to see is constant "can I get Mapper Elite" :please:
Post by: Centric on January 14, 2016, 09:23:56 pm
Is it still possible to get the prize from the contest? I pmed trem but he never responded
Post by: Centric on January 21, 2016, 08:30:15 pm
Can I get an answer?
Post by: treminaor on January 22, 2016, 07:40:49 am
Can I get an answer?
^^ you really should have been paying attention if you wanted your prize money. I'll contact you via PM.