UGX-Mods Login

or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

Can someone help me with a few problems please?

HOT
broken avatar :(
Created 11 years ago
by WilhelmWulf
Date Registered: 7 January 2013
Last active: 11 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
Theory is when you know how to do it, but it doesn't work.

Practice is when everything works, but you're not sure how.

I combine Theory and Practice...  Nothing works, and I don't know why.
WilhelmWulf's Groups
WilhelmWulf's Contact & Social LinksWilhelmWulf
Hey, Sorry for the long post, but I'm mapping for the first time using the Call of Duty Radiant, and I've been able to learn quite a lot from just google searching and - well, guessing.

But there are a few things that I can not find how to make or fix, and I was really hoping that someone could let me know what I need to do, or at least where I can go to learn.

First, I've been having some problems with my lighting.  I can't really seem to get any more than one primary light working correctly at one time.  They usually only show on the models, but will never cast light or shadows onto the brushes, not even the sun.  I've gone through and and set them up and checked PRIMARY_OMNI option and gave it the Info_Null to point at, but I can't get more than one to really cast dynamic light on the brushes, not even the sun will work this way.

I was also having problems with the power switch, I got it set up, and the power will come on and everything, but the handle won't turn.

Also, I was wondering about what I was doing wrong with the Hell Hound Spawners, I'm working on a Der Riese style map, and I set up the Dog spawn with the KVP's:

"targetname" "zombie_spawner_dog_init"
"spawnflags" "3"
"script_forcespawn" "1"
"script_noteworthy" "zombie_dog_spawner"
"script_string" "zombie_chaser"

But when the Dog Round comes, they won't spawn, at least not properly, I can hear it growling and making noise, and I'll bump into it where I set the spawner.  After a while, it will make the noise like it would be attacking and then it's eye's just sort appear, but not the dog, and they just sort of looks around.

I did add a playable area, and I've got the Path Nodes working for the zombies, but the Hell Hounds aren't cooperating.

Finally, I'd be very appreciative if someone could tell me how to make a buyable door that swings open, I can't seem to find a tutorial for it.

Thanks.
Former UGX Co-Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
UGX Co-Founder
My Groups
More
More
Signature
W1NG3D's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX Co-Founder
For the lighting problem, check your lightgrid is setup correctly, and also try not to create primary lights which intersect eachother's radus', as it causes rendering problems.

As for the hellhounds, consult this guide http://wiki.modsrepository.com/index.php/Call_of_Duty_5:_Zombie_Map_Tutorial:_Der_Riese#HellHounds and check your spawner setup and such, there may also be some other useful guides in this map tutorial which could help you with various things, like the power switch.

To add swinging doors, you could use Tom_Bmx's guide as posted here: http://www.zombiemodding.com/index.php?topic=1515.msg15133#msg15133

Hope this all helped :)
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
WilhelmWulf's Groups
Thank you very much for the links.

The swinging doors tutorial worked great, but the link you gave me for the Hell Hounds is the one I had already used and doesn't seem to be working.

I've gotten my Sun working, but primary omi/spot lights still won't cast onto the brushes.

Also, I'd like to ask another question, I've gotten the Exponential Fog working on my map, but I was wondering how to add the kind of wispy fog effects like on Nacht der Untoten?

Thanks again.
Date Registered: 4 August 2012
Last active: 10 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Personal Quote
All my work is secret.
Earth's Groups
Earth's Contact & Social Links

I've gotten my Sun working, but primary omi/spot lights still won't cast onto the brushes.

sounds like you're missing your lightgrid covering your map, for the wispy fog like in nacht you can follow any fx tutorial and place a thick fog fx in wanted areas.
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
WilhelmWulf's Groups
But I do have the light grid covering my map, I've made sure of it several times.
Former UGX Co-Founder
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
UGX Co-Founder
My Groups
More
More
W1NG3D's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX Co-Founder
But I do have the light grid covering my map, I've made sure of it several times.

Then the only other thing which springs to mind is reflection probes, make sure they're placed appropriately in every area of your map for the best light quality. If that's not the issue, I'd probably have to see a picture of your light setup with the KVP window open and a view of the surrounding brushes/models, and see if I spot anything abormal - from what you've told me it seems like it's been set up correctly, but there may be something obscure which is preventing the light from functioning correctly.

For the desired wispy dynamic fog effect, I would personally use trem's Easy-FX script as documented here:
http://ugx-mods.com/wiki/index.php/Easy-FX

This makes it easy to place FX in your map using Radiant, with a fairly minimal amount of scripting. I'd recommend also looking at some FX through the FX Editor program (openable through launcher), to see which ones you'd like to use as there are several fog variants I believe.
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
WilhelmWulf's Groups
I added a couple more reflection probes, and it sort of helped, but not quite.

I'll post some pictures:

Spoiler: click to open...
This is how I have the light set up, the null is over by the flag and the reflection probe is in between them:

And this is how it shows up in-game:

It shines and will cast shadows on the floor, and the models there, but it won't show on the wall, or the ceiling, and I can't really figure out why.

The other Primary light that I've got in the map so far is this one:

And is shows up like this in game:

I don't understand why the shadows show up like those lines on the right there.

Thanks again.
Former UGX Co-Founder
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
UGX Co-Founder
My Groups
More
More
W1NG3D's Groups
UGX Co-Founder
Try increasing the radius value and test out the effects in-game, I would also usually say to also increase the fov_outer but yours is already near the limit of 120, so I doubt that is an issue. It seems to me as if the light isn't actually reaching the walls so they appear oddly unlit in-game.
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
WilhelmWulf's Groups
I went through and extended the radius out to 500, it covered almost all of my map at the moment, but it wouldn't cast shadows onto that wall, which isn't more than 250 units away from the light.

What about the other light, though?  The one with the weird lines all over it?
Former UGX Co-Founder
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
UGX Co-Founder
My Groups
More
More
W1NG3D's Groups
UGX Co-Founder
I've had the same problem with the weird line-shadows before, and haven't been able to find the cause of the issue. It's possibly an engine bug or glitch, and I've never been able to fix it. :(

This may sound silly but is that wall brush a script_brushmodel?
Date Registered: 30 July 2011
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Rotting Walker
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
cinnober's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
cinnober's Contact & Social Links
Regarding the hellhounds...beside the zombiedog spawn you need also to create script_structs where dogs actually will spawn (yes not mentioned in tutorial and that?s why Treyarch always sucks)

Create at least 2 script_struct?s

Give the script_struct?s these KVP?s:

Code Snippet
Plaintext
targetname / ZONE_NAME_spawners_dog

replace ZONE_NAME with your zone name(s)

Compile map when done and test.

Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
WilhelmWulf's Groups
No, the wall isn't a script_brushmodel, I even remade it to make sure.

Now, when I set up the info volume, like the tutorial says, nothing spawns, no zombies, and still no dogs.
Date Registered: 14 March 2012
Last active: 5 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
hellboy's Groups
hellboy's Contact & Social Links
this is what Cinnober means u need this in your map. lets hope u can see it

Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
WilhelmWulf's Groups
But, that is what I have on my map

Date Registered: 14 March 2012
Last active: 5 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
hellboy's Groups
hellboy's Contact & Social Links
on the script struct try changing the targetname to ( start_zone_spawners_dog ) do the same to info_volume targetname ( start_zone )  recomplie see what happens.

Loading ...