Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
If you want scripts / features made for you, then contact me by PM or email / skype etc
it will cost you tho so if you have no intention of reciprocating don't even waste my time ;)
Harry Bo21's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Harry Bo21's Contact & Social Links[email protected]HarryBo21HarryBo000
I was thinking about this quite randomly yesterday - while i was "trying" to watch a film, but my mind it seems didnt wanna let me lol. So I thought id inquire with y'all

So, do errors annoy you? Personal opinions of course ;)

I find, if im in a good mood, and i type up some code, even minor bits, I come to expect now at least 3 crashes due to my terrible syntax :p

This doesnt annoy me, just encourages me to go and look at what I did, then go "ahhh... im a moron", and also means i tend to have a video or skype chat open to entertain me while i recompile like 4 times in a row lol

Something ive noticed these days ( after going through my skype lol ), is other people would rather not even look again, just instantly go with - "doesnt work for me", and half the time its just a missing ";"

And other people I notice, are that categorically against even looking, that they would rather just remove whatever thing it is thats not working, or "assume" they cant fix it

But further to that we see a lot of maps, where the mappers are fully aware there are problems, and just say "im not going to fix this, will do it right in my next map"

Im not moaning or nothing, I just wanted to form a mindset on these matters

"Do the errors annoy/irritate/put you off?"

"Do you just - assume - that you wont be able to find whats wrong?" - i think 90% of the time its this one, and a fair few of you are much better than you realize, I have 100% faith you can find the error if your willing to put some time into looking, hence why I want to know, is it just out of "frustration" basically?

Im curious to know, I was thinking I would write/make a video - on how to identify simple - moderate problems, but im not gonna do it if the overall idea is "nah ill just remove the feature" lol

All comments welcomed, no fighting please, its just a information gathering topic :)

I personally like the errors, but im a puzzle solver, I like to know what went wrong and why. I also like to know how things work anyway, hence how I got into these kind of things. Although i will admit there are times lol

very recently infact with the hells retriever, as COD 5 has no disatnce2dsquared function, and as there are like 10 different methods and theorems to calculate that, was becoming increasingly frustrating to find the right method that lined up with the black ops 2 code I was porting lol. I got EXTREMELY frustrated after like 5 hours, went and had a cup of tea, came back, and spotted a solution instantly lol

doesnt even need to be from a coding perspective, default zombies models, incorrectly displaying objects, ineffective weapons, problem anims etc, any aspect really. I for one know I was getting extremely wound up with the Shields third person anims, nearly gave up - but its against my nature lol, I cant let it go until I know why lol
Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:45:07 pm by Harry Bo21
broken avatar :(
Date Registered: 29 July 2015
Last active: 5 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
children should not be playing call of duty
Signature
⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Koan's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
Koan's Contact & Social Linksh-r_Koan_my website
Errors are frustrating, but the sense of achievement when a big error/bug is finally fixed is worth it. Also it's not so much the error itself that annoys me most, but it's often trying to find what the error is in the first place.
Date Registered: 20 June 2014
Last active: 1 day ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Personal Quote
Behold the power of Mirror Force
Signature
The greatest failure is not to try and fail, but is to fail without trying.
Ramiabdh's Groups
Ramiabdh's Contact & Social Links
Fixing errors is the whole point of something, whether in mapping or in daily life stuff. It takes considerably more effort and time to fix errors, but, as Koan said, the sense of achievement is worth fixing. The only thing I hate about errors, is when you search for their cause/reason, and yet you still can't find it, thus making error fixing seem impossible.
  • DeletedUser
  • Deleted Member
DeletedUser
This user is deleted :(
i actually enjoy errors because they get me to think about what i'm doing in another way. Exept cone patches fuck those things.
Date Registered: 9 September 2013
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Box Mappers Elite
My Groups
More
More
lilrifa's Groups
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
lilrifa's Contact & Social Linksskypeuser724lilrifalilrifa
I love errors. At least in the way that they keep my mind going. They make me eager to find out what I did wrong, and how I could do it differently to ensure that it doesn't happen again. Sure, they're frustrating, but they're also great fun to fix.
Date Registered: 17 January 2014
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
I love errors. At least in the way that they keep my mind going. They make me eager to find out what I did wrong, and how I could do it differently to ensure that it doesn't happen again. Sure, they're frustrating, but they're also great fun to fix.
I feel this way, however things like mathematical equations working out wrong do make my head explode lol

So to some it up, from what I understand reading the comments, is that, they dont annoy/frustrate so much as a lack of understanding what the problem actually is - could be - or where to even begin to look for it

So what do you guys think? If i "purposefully" go and mess up some scripts, incorrectly name some names or file paths in a mod.csv etc, and then record a video, showing the crash, how to find the error, are where to start looking for a cause, do you think people would find it useful?

Most obvious ones being "syntax error", "unknown function", fx not showing up, things like that?

Any others that youd recommend i cover in it?
Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 09:56:18 pm by Harry Bo21
Date Registered: 20 June 2014
Last active: 1 day ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Personal Quote
Behold the power of Mirror Force
Ramiabdh's Groups
Ramiabdh's Contact & Social Links
That would be great harry, looking forward to see what you'll be including. And, why not add a poll, to feature more stuff ;)
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
That would be great harry, looking forward to see what you'll be including. And, why not add a poll, to feature more stuff ;)
not a bad idea ;)
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Box Mappers Elite
My Groups
More
More
lilrifa's Groups
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
So what do you guys think? If i "purposefully" go and mess up some scripts, incorrectly name some names or file paths in a mod.csv etc, and then record a video, showing the crash, how to find the error, are where to start looking for a cause, do you think people would find it useful?

I can't see people disregarding something that helpful.
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
I can't see people disregarding something that helpful.
lol, yeah this is one of my concerns

I was gonna see if i could get it put on the wiki or something
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Box Mappers Elite
My Groups
More
More
lilrifa's Groups
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
I was gonna see if i could get it put on the wiki or something
Well, good luck, man.
Date Registered: 25 June 2013
Last active: 9 months ago
Respect
1,024Add +1
Forum Rank
Eviscerator
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
HitmanVere's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
You know what I love? Co-op only bugs
Date Registered: 1 January 2014
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
More
Signature
vinnyz500's Groups
vinnyz500's Contact & Social Linkspsn_hackedlobbies4uXxMrPotatoxXvinnyz500
if the error is because u added something in which u changed a lot of code and it ends up working but over time you want to add something else that needs to change the same code, now thats frustrating. As a person who doesnt know how to write code it kills me when certain things come up in which i need to solve the problem just from basic knowledge of reading and understanding the code. Never had the energy to learn gsc scripting, i dont see it being all that difficult but im afraid if i started i would just frustrate myself beyond imaginable lol. Errors/limits are the only thing that slow me down with mapping, and also 30 min compiles  :please:
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Box Mappers Elite
My Groups
More
More
lilrifa's Groups
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
Me too!!  :troll:
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
if the error is because u added something in which u changed a lot of code and it ends up working but over time you want to add something else that needs to change the same code, now thats frustrating. As a person who doesnt know how to write code it kills me when certain things come up in which i need to solve the problem just from basic knowledge of reading and understanding the code. Never had the energy to learn gsc scripting, i dont see it being all that difficult but im afraid if i started i would just frustrate myself beyond imaginable lol. Errors/limits are the only thing that slow me down with mapping, and also 30 min compiles  :please:
i could possibly come up with some of these situations. I know this would apply if using two wonder weapons in a lot of cases, ill see

I think we all agree on that one lol

Loading ...