Date Registered: 28 March 2013
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
SarcyMoFo's Groups
SarcyMoFo's Contact & Social Links
In particular, One Window 'Challenges' and there's a 'few' of them out there unfortunately

Seriously what's the deal? Custom Zombies, as a whole, is at a place where maps and mods being released are comparable to official Treyarch creations yet these 'maps' keep getting made, WHY?!  ???

I'm just wondering if people/websites refused to host this sub-par content that MAYBE they would cease to exist

I know I'll get flak for this because sure they've opened the mod tools and spent some time tinkering but these 'maps' should NEVER see the light of day and to see them still appear from time to time is frustrating

I'm all for increasing the number of people creating maps and mods but quality is so important that things like this cannot be tolerated anymore imo

Even in non-box 'maps' there are things which are lingering due to copy and pasting/sharing - messed up models/perks/weapons, spelling errors and more

I doubt anything will come of this and as I said before I'll probably come out of this not too well but I can't be the only one getting tired of people not taking time to check things are functional and correct
There must be others who think 4 walls and shite everywhere does not equal a 'great' experience because it isn't, it was meh 5 years ago and by today's standards it's garbage  >:(
broken avatar :(
Date Registered: 17 January 2014
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
If you want scripts / features made for you, then contact me by PM or email / skype etc
it will cost you tho so if you have no intention of reciprocating don't even waste my time ;)
Harry Bo21's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Harry Bo21's Contact & Social Links[email protected]HarryBo21HarryBo000
I just dont understand what it is they expect to accomplish...

Anyone can use the script placer to make snipers tutorial, change the shape of the walls, change a few textures and remove the other window. Move a perk. Bang - done. Box map

Even taking the time to port one gun would make all the difference. In reality they just want everyone to jump and go "Wow, you can make zombie maps, you are amazing!"

But what people actually do, is immediatly become disheartened that after all this time, and despite a site (here) FULL of tutorials and drag and drop premade features, they dont even bother looking...

I spent a week watching Black Jack Johnnys mapping tutorials before I ever even tried mapping. And when I did, I spent at least a few days on it before I even considered it "testable"... these guys think its a race, and as long as theres a zombie in it = win
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
SarcyMoFo's Groups
Exactly, between all the tutorials, tools etc plus all the combined knowledge and experience of the members of this and elsewhere there's so much potential to make even the most basic of maps decent map that seeing a 4 wall 'marvel' is maddening

I want to make it clear, I'm not bashing people for wanting to create nor do I wish to discourage other people turning their hand to modding but you have to understand that we're almost in 2015 and the tools have been out for so long and there's so much that can be done with them that box maps just aren't release-worthy anymore

Heh, maybe we could make that a New Year's resolution - I can dream right  :D
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
exactly, we are far beyond a simple box map with no features

I mean its not even the box thing that bugs me... its the fact they add absolutely nothing. All they did was shape a few walls and a floor, then used nothing but the stock stuff. So they "made" virtually nothing. Just used what already existed. This isnt minecraft... ;)

Porting a gun is easy (porting it "properly" is a little harder granted), these people dont even try...

And "one window" challenges... Makes me wanna slap em... There is NO challenge to that, you might as well have just made 1 wall with a hole in it...

Dunno bout you, but im not that impressed by "walls" lol
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Date Registered: 13 August 2012
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Let's keep this thread on topic from here on in. -DBZ

+1 to off-topic reply -DBZ

lmao. Too funny.

Goliath Script Placer: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,11234.msg125257/topicseen.html#new

"...Christ, people. Learn C, instead of just stringing random characters
together until it compiles (with warnings)..."

-Linus Torvalds
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
daedra descent's Contact & Social LinksBlueSoviet
maps and mods being released are comparable to official Treyarch creations

In what way?
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
SarcyMoFo's Groups
Like I said I don't mind people making stuff and new people taking the time to look into and potentially join in with modding but it's the lack of quality that bugs me

Treyarch themselves are just as bad, not a few hours ago I was in a 4 player Nacht game where EVERYONE but me was in a glitch...
On another occasion I was in a Buried 4-man where the other 3 were in walls  :poker:

I sent a message to Jimmy and Vonderhaar [though know unlikely to do squat  :(] basically saying exploits NEED fixing NOT guns [Sliquifier, Paralyzer etc]

Back on topic - I'm not hating, I'm more disappointed that with so much stuff catalogued and available to learn from and be inspired by that this menace continues to infest the Custom Zombie scene

Again I know it's unlikely to occur but I just hope even one of these novice modders takes the time to really think about what makes an enjoyable experience
It doesn't have to include 100's of features just so long as everything works correctly and you can tell whilst playing that more than an hour was spent on it because like you said, box maps take no time nor effort whatsoever and often show a lack of care

Also, trying to use "It's my 1st map" as a defence doesn't excuse not taking time to plan, research, test and most importantly, perfect

EDIT:
In what way?
I mean in way that some releases are rich in detail and quality providing experiences akin to a proper release

While Treyarch obviously have fancier tools they are restricted by deadlines etc so despite releasing generally good content they have dropped the ball in some areas

Granted you can say "But this map is just taking features from x, y and z and not actually creating anything" - my point is looking around forums such as this you see a lot of talented people who put together some amazing creations and if it wasn't for them pushing the envelope then this community would be on very shaky ground
Heck I'd go so far to say if it wasn't for the vast majority striving to improve with each and every release that the community would have died long ago
Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:03:13 am by SarcyMoFo
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
I sent a message to Jimmy and Vonderhaar [though know unlikely to do squat  :(] basically saying exploits NEED fixing NOT guns [Sliquifier, Paralyzer etc]

Considering the latest update for origins on 360 (that was months ago...) actually BROKE the staffs so they can now totally dissapear, preventing you finishing the easter egg at all... and they didnt bother fixing that so, yea... I think your right lol

Also, trying to use "It's my 1st map" as a defence doesn't excuse not taking time to plan, research, test and most importantly, perfect
Its not a defence at all. They never admit it, but i garuntee you they generated the sniper map and just made some minor changes. 0 - 5% effort I say  :troll:

I mean in way that some releases are rich in detail and quality providing experiences akin to a proper release
Project Viking, Dead Ship and Oil Rig, just to name a few ;)

Granted you can say "But this map is just taking features from x, y and z and not actually creating anything"
Still made from scratch, so I say that counts ;) If they were "ripping scripts" then no, but they are physically remaking them. Mystery Box 2.0 is one example, that dude even fixed some bugs that Treyarch never bothered to

Heck I'd go so far to say if it wasn't for the vast majority striving to improve with each and every release that the community would have died long ago
Once upon a time it was mainly all about map design, but now thanks to people like tom (for the tools) and the many many tutorials members here and on ZM have made, a lot more is possible. And we have some amazing scripters in the community that cook up just about anything. Thats why im sad to see, what i call "regression"

Every time i see a map using stock guns, stock perks, stock textures and stock zombies... It just makes me think of minecraft... All they did was the layout - and in the case of box maps - there is NO layout lol

I fear im not clear with my point though. Box maps are perfectly fine. For you and you alone. To mess about, to practice. To use as a "testbed" for adding new features rather than potentially "breaking" your proper maps. But they are NOT worthy of release. And anyone who does release them needs to realise they WILL get flamed. Especially by the other MAJOR mappers that worked their asses of for 10 - 15 months on their projects.

I mean sh*t, my map started out as snipers tutorial. First thing i did was grab his entire map, lift it was up out the way, and started designing a entire new one underneath. Made a little way down while i was learning

Before long I had at least a floor plan laid out, so I removed the sniper map entirely. Leaving me with mine. I did not just retexture the walls, tap my finger for a while and go "hey, rather than put ANY work into this, I think ill just take the second window out and call it a 'challenge'" lol

I also agree with you that the typos are just pure lazy. I mean we all do it occasionally, but even when we tell them, they dont fix them lol

This turned out to be a interesting chat. And prob better than us flaming at the Box map posts themselves eh lol :)

I could go on for hours about this, I really could lol
Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 06:03:09 am by Harry Bo21
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
SarcyMoFo's Groups
I find it refreshing to see I'm not the only one thinking this [imagine far from it]

Regarding Treyarch, WaW from 2008 is still buggy [not counting the rampant modding etc], Black Ops Moon has completely game-ending bugs and BO2's Die Rise and Buried have a myriad of spots where a Trample Steam can breach walls

More often than not if an issue is found in a custom map/mod it is handled and done so relatively swiftly, that in itself is way better than Treyarch who once the last DLC is available simply give up leaving bugs which will never be dealt with

I'm truly thankful so many people DO care about what they produce because it affects reputation and so forth - I mentioned a while back how I'd rather wait for a map/mod that has been thoroughly tested and ready than hound the creator/s for its release only to complain about it not being up to scratch

The long and short of it is the people on here, and elsewhere, put a lot of effort and time into making content [for FREE] - content which prolongs the lifespan of a game, which is otherwise dead

I think it's only fair, in the interest of the community, newcomers and people thinking about getting into modding show respect and don't release half-ass stuff just to get cheap YouTube views because they know some channels spew out content regardless of quality [that's another issue entirely which I wish would change...]

I don't expect newcomers to release the most mind-blowing stuff ever nor do I expect every release to be a masterpiece which takes years to perfect, I simply would like to see an overall focus on making sure quality is high on the priority list and people aren't just after their '5 minutes of fame'/infamy
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
All true, but i especially like this part :

I'm truly thankful so many people DO care about what they produce because it affects reputation and so forth - I mentioned a while back how I'd rather wait for a map/mod that has been thoroughly tested and ready than hound the creator/s for its release only to complain about it not being up to scratch

Do you know how many times Ive seen people repeatedly complaining they have been waiting "forever" for a particular map and they just want them to "hurry up" now? - shortly followed by the map being released, these same people come back slandering the map coz its got bugs and they expect better from such a long project.

These people are morons, if you apply pressure in the hope of getting something faster, the likely result is going to be some kind of defect. The same is true in any kind of business too lol

And they are never grateful either, they just act like you purposefully left em waiting ages just to troll em with a broken map lol
Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:17:29 am by Harry Bo21
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
SarcyMoFo's Groups
Yep, there are a lot of impatient people out there

I'd like to say to all those who are currently making maps and mods, particularly those who have been working on certain projects for long periods, take as long as you need - only release when you're completely satisfied and not when some hyperactive kid tells you to

That is all  :)
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
sadly im on about 9 months, currently still fairly featureless. Ive added a few things, but most of my work has been perfecting my guns (I hate buggy guns), but I got lots planned and some of the awesome people from around here help me out.

but yeah, I think mine will be quite a while yet lol
Date Registered: 2 April 2014
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
If it's not perfect, you'll never see it.
Signature
Learn by doing, not copy and pasting.

Enjoy my 2015 contest map, a simple map with bo1-bo2 features
http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=14968.msg149200#
Centric's Groups
Centric's Contact & Social Linkscentricccentric_
My first map is rather crappy. It uses lots of stock textures, the zombies are default, but I took the time to make a map, not just some walls. It really isn't anything great, but I spent time to create something I could be a little proud of, not a half assed map just to slap the mapper title on me. I think that more new people should take the time to create a fun map, like mine. (Yes although it doesn't look the best it's really fun because of how I made the gameplay work) after the contest I'm planning on revamping the whole thing. Because time is what makes a map, not a few button presses. If your new to mapping, take the time to make something your proud of, even my first test map was not a box.
Date Registered: 8 June 2013
Last active: 3 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Welcome to Luketown
sevengpluke's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
sevengpluke's Contact & Social Linksdalukesevengplukesevengplukesevengplukesevengpluke
Maybe they lack creativity like myself. I've been using radiant since about 2010 and have yet to create a decent map. Its like every map I've made turned into a box lol. Here's a map I've worked on for about 8months- A year SevenGPLuke's WTF Trailer

And it's rubbish compared to what others can do In that time. And its technically a box map lol. This will never be released but its a good example of how I lack creativity. Point is maybe they lack creativity.
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
This user is deleted :(
Point is maybe they lack creativity.
I'd wager you're lacking a whole lot more than just creativity when you release a single tiny box with one window and call it a 'challange'....the only 'challenge' about making a map like this is how the hell they managed to succeed in making a map that's actually WORSE than the Sniperbolt Tutorial map; deleting, rearranging and mangling shit on a tutorial map until it's considerably shittier doesn't count as 'mapping' in any way, shape or form.

What baffles me most is how they managed to go to all the trouble of installing the Mod Tools, opening Radiant and compiling, just to release a fucking one window box, seriously why go to all that trouble? Save yourselves the time, hassle and humiliation and just download one of the numerous shitty box maps out there if you're so desperate to play a map with no features/thought/creativity/fun/replayability, etc.
Date Registered: 8 June 2013
Last active: 3 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Welcome to Luketown
sevengpluke's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
sevengpluke's Contact & Social Linksdalukesevengplukesevengplukesevengplukesevengpluke
I'd wager you're lacking a whole lot more than just creativity when you release a single tiny box with one window and call it a 'challange'....the only 'challenge' about making a map like this is how the hell they managed to succeed in making a map that's actually WORSE than the Sniperbolt Tutorial map; deleting, rearranging and mangling shit on a tutorial map until it's considerably shittier doesn't count as 'mapping' in any way, shape or form.

What baffles me most is how they managed to go to all the trouble of installing the Mod Tools, opening Radiant and compiling, just to release a fucking one window box, seriously why go to all that trouble? Save yourselves the time, hassle and humiliation and just download one of the numerous shitty box maps out there if you're so desperate to play a map with no features/thought/creativity/fun/replayability, etc.

Hmm. You got some pretty strong points there. My mistake though, I thought this was about box maps in general, not one room challenges.(probably should of thoroughly read the OP).

Loading ...