More
Personal Quote
Donations massively appreciated: paypal.me/DanT98
Signature
Stranded
Nacht Der Untoten: Reimagined
Encampment
Encampment V2: BO3 Mod

Mapper and Weapon Porter - I release what I can of my work for the community to enjoy :)
ProRevenge's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
ProRevenge's Contact & Social LinksProRevenge
So im mapping a completely enclosed building, and everything is dark under my current settings, some models are lit up though, yet the floor is pitch black, I can place lights, and they light up a tiny area of floor, increasing their radius and intensity obviously makes them light up more,

But regardless of what I try, I always get pitch black areas in game, or it just looks completely unrealistic with tiny areas being really bright and the rest pitch black.

So whats the best way to do lighting? several large radius lights and high intensity around the map?
Or just cover the playable area of stock lights near the floor so it's lit up.

Also whats a good setting for the "ambient" worldspawn setting, 0.10 is what I had in previous maps and it look decent, but in this map it needs at least 0.5 for the floor to be visible in some places.

I know this is very hard to word, but if any of the people who manage to light indoor areas to look decent could help me, itd be massively appreciated :)
broken avatar :(
RadihaX
Date Registered: 2 September 2012
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper Elite
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
Overrun
Lockdown
Overrun (Black Ops Mod)
Snowglobe
Leviathan
Abandoned School
Ski Resort
Leviathan Redux
JBird632's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom mapping in the UGX-Mods community.
Community Scripter Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom scripting in the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
JBird632's Contact & Social LinksJBird632JBird632JBird632JBird632JBird632Mapper
Using the worldspawn should always be your primary source of lighting in a map, not from a point light. From my understanding of what ambient lighting in the worldspawn settings is that it is the light used for general lighting of the map regardless if sunlight can reach it. Basically your best bet is to make sure you have a caulkbox, good world spawn settings and a lightgrid volume over your map, while only using point lights for things such as lamps, and anything that generates a beam light or just adding atmosphere that the worldspawn settings can create.

If you want some good worldspawn settings I suggest looking here: http://wiki.modsrepository.com/index.php?title=Call_of_Duty_5:_Worldspawn_Settings
Date Registered: 7 February 2015
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
ProRevenge's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
Thanks, I was thinking using the ambient setting would be better than spamming lights all over the shop, I cranked ambient up to 0.6 and it looks quite decent now, ill take a look at the worldspawn settings page and see if I can make it look even better.

I have lights around lamps already and it does help with atmosphere.

Unrelated question, but is there a fix for certain models/brushes either not lighting up at all, or being very bright regardless of light level (the latter only really happens with models)
Date Registered: 17 January 2014
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If you want scripts / features made for you, then contact me by PM or email / skype etc
it will cost you tho so if you have no intention of reciprocating don't even waste my time ;)
Harry Bo21's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Harry Bo21's Contact & Social Links[email protected]HarryBo21HarryBo000
Thanks, I was thinking using the ambient setting would be better than spamming lights all over the shop, I cranked ambient up to 0.6 and it looks quite decent now, ill take a look at the worldspawn settings page and see if I can make it look even better.

I have lights around lamps already and it does help with atmosphere.

Unrelated question, but is there a fix for certain models/brushes either not lighting up at all, or being very bright regardless of light level (the latter only really happens with models)
did you paint these models white when you ported then through maya?

Also if the origin of the model is coming out the underside of the brush it's touching, the light is being calculated from there
Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 09:37:24 pm by Harry Bo21
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
ProRevenge's Groups
did you paint these models white when you ported then through maya?

Im talking about default waw models doing this.

And any I do port I dont paint white, I dont know how to do that and if its important/its effects
RadihaX
Date Registered: 2 September 2012
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper Elite
My Groups
More
More
JBird632's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom mapping in the UGX-Mods community.
Community Scripter Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom scripting in the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
JBird632's Contact & Social LinksJBird632JBird632JBird632JBird632JBird632Mapper
Jammy actually asked that same question a couple days ago, here was my response:

Unfortunately in world at war, models are lit by their origin and are lit with a constant lighting (meaning no shadows or ambient occlusion occurs on models). So when people say "origin must be in a brush or something" what really is happening is the origin of the model is in a location where light seems to be more present.

Just another reason why this old engine is showing its true colours :/
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
ProRevenge's Groups
Makes sense when its explained like that, so its unavoidable
Ill just have to bear it in mind when I place lights near models that are prone to doing this
Date Registered: 4 January 2015
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Battlefield is giving COD the hands rn
Signature
I just spent two hours moving trees around.

Gold Station Zombies: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=5911.0
sedozz's Groups
sedozz's Contact & Social Linksosean17sedozzsedozz
Personally I don't usually mess with the worldspawn settings a whole lot. I find the key to lighting interiors is utizlizing your primary lights properly. Casting shadows is a good thing.

I usually base my lighting off when Ive placed models of ceiling lights and such, and I try not to place a light in a place light is not physically supposed to be coming from. The only exception for that is when its an artistic addition.

Primary lights I tend to point into the map from outside of barriers, or down on the players from above in strategic points.

Mess around with your radius and intensity settings too.

Loading ...