Donator ♥
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
Errors Love Me
Ratchet's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Ratchet's Contact & Social LinksaG.RatchetmlgxratchetTweetRatchetRatchet_RSPRFCLeader
Not trying to step on anyone's toes, but why don't people share around here? Why aren't ported weapons shared among the community? Wouldn't it save everyone some time and money (for games and DLC packs) if we just made ported weapons available to everyone? I'm not asking to be spoon fed, but seriously wtf? UGX releases weapons to the community in the Standalone, but what about all these weapons we see in other maps? Are you physically unable to share them too? "That's a mighty nice Mauser you ported from Origins. Mind if I use it in my map?" "Nope, port it yourself." Why make it so difficult? It's not like you discovered a new element or something.

tl;dr Share weapons you port so that it'll save other map makers some time.

/rant
Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:13:14 am by Ratchet
broken avatar :(
Date Registered: 6 August 2012
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
fatboypro's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
fatboypro's Contact & Social Links
i will give you a weapon if you want  :) the peacemaker from bullet storm and  maybe a few others  ;)
The King of Zombies
Date Registered: 24 June 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Donate to me if you enjoy my work. https://www.paypal.me/thezombiekilla6
Dust's Groups
Dust's Contact & Social LinksMrZ0mbiesFanaticdust103194MrZ0mbiesFanatic
I understand why some people wont give other people guns and stuff that they made because they think they wouldnt get any credit for it. I would be mad if i spent countless hours working on a gun and getting it perfect and gave it to someone to use in their map and got no credit for it. If you would give credit to the person then yes i dont see a problem with it. I guess its up to the person. btw I dont make any guns, I was just giving an example.
Date Registered: 28 July 2013
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Rotting Walker
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Errors Love Me
Ratchet's Groups
Ratchet's Contact & Social LinksaG.RatchetmlgxratchetTweetRatchetRatchet_RSPRFCLeader
I understand why some people wont give other people guns and stuff that they made because they think they wouldnt get any credit for it. I would be mad if i spent countless hours working on a gun and getting it perfect and gave it to someone to use in their map and got no credit for it. If you would give credit to the person then yes i dont see a problem with it. I guess its up to the person. btw I dont make any guns, I was just giving an example.

Yeah, okay, maybe not for custom guns. From what I've seen, it seems that almost every gun has been ported. Why don't we as a community build up a weapon locker so that we all have access to a variety of weapons without having to port them all ourselves and buy DLC to obtain them?
Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:11:00 am by Ratchet
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Date Registered: 13 August 2012
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Let's keep this thread on topic from here on in. -DBZ

+1 to off-topic reply -DBZ

lmao. Too funny.

Goliath Script Placer: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,11234.msg125257/topicseen.html#new

"...Christ, people. Learn C, instead of just stringing random characters
together until it compiles (with warnings)..."

-Linus Torvalds
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
daedra descent's Contact & Social LinksBlueSoviet
Sharing source files is kind of illegal, which is why Tom_BMX was getting sued by Activision because his tools rip source data from other Call of Duty's(so I have heard anyway).

Not that it matters, people get away with it and Activision isn't going to hound every person that does it, because it'd be a futile effort.

Still, I'd recommend not doing it.

Just saying.
Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:29:38 am by daedra descent
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 9 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
Yeah, okay, maybe not for custom guns. From what I've seen, it seems that almost every gun has been ported. Why don't we as a community build up a weapon locker so that we all have access to a variety of weapons without having to port them all ourselves and buy DLC to obtain them?
Because hosting those files publicly is illegal. And not the "oh, no one will notice or care" kind of illegal. The "delete the files immediately or we will sue you" kind of illegal.

Activision proved that recently when Tom BMX hosted source files he ripped from MW3 (? not sure which CoD it was, might have been Ghosts). He received a C&D from Activision and his webhost terminated his hosting account, which is why his site was down for weeks and his download section was disabled for months.

Sharing source files is kind of illegal, which is why Tom_BMX was getting sued by Activision because his tools rip source data from other Call of Duty's(so I have heard anyway).

Not that it matters, people get away with it and Activision isn't going to hound every person that does it, because it'd be a futile effort.

Still, I'd recommend not doing it.

Just saying.
This is all correct. To the OP,  we can't host them here because then it becomes our responsibility - the rest of the CZ forums share the same sentiment. It's not worth the risk.

I've often wondered what the difference is between sharing a compiled map which you can rip the assets from with 3rd party tools vs. sharing the already-ripped files and saving the middle step. But Activision sees a difference so we try to stay out of trouble.

And regarding sharing work - I think most people (including myself) get annoyed when we put in a lot of personal time & effort to get something better than anyone else, then have people annoyed that we don't turn around and give it away to whoever asks. I'm not saying that doesn't sound like being a selfish dick, but I'm just being honest about why people act that way.

Loading ...