UGX-Mods Login

or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

[33/40] Prison Mission - Makes BO2 pick up the soap.

HOT
broken avatar :(
Created 10 years ago
by tomikaze
Date Registered: 27 August 2012
Last active: 4 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Custom Map Reviewer
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
Tommy Wonka & the Idea Factory
tomikaze's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Custom Map Reviewer Has permission to post map review topics in the Custom Map Reviews section of the forum.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access

Created by: ZK (ZOMB1E-KLLR) His other maps are Town 23 & Haus der Untoten

Setting: This map takes place in the prison facility from The Walking Dead universe and chronologically follows the events of Mob of the Dead and ignores Buried and beyond. The map begins with a brief introduction by two characters; Obadiah Robertson on behalf of Dr Maxis and Luther on behalf of Richtofen. Both are trying to persuade you to play out their side of the easter egg. Think you've done something like this before? Not in custom zombies you haven't.

Positives: If you can complete this map without assistance then you are made up of something much grander than mere human DNA. For the rest us, never fear, there is still a lot to be enjoyed here. This map has, by far, the closest thing to a Black Ops II easter egg to date and packs more features into this experience then the next 10 most involved custom zombie maps combined. The two sided easter egg is a beast and will require an extreme amount of time, patience and luck in order to complete. Some of the other features that this map boasts outside of the main easter egg are: entertaining and often humorous side quests, a very creative map layout, custom posters with some being interactive, audio logs, hidden songs, humorous documents scattered throughout the map for you to find and read, journals which fill you in on more of the story, effective jump scares, an underground prison tunnel system that can actually trap you, tons of custom dialogue and much more. The map looks pretty good too considering it's supposed to be a nasty dirty prison overrun by the undead. There is a massive amount of custom guns including PAPed versions and a total of 14 available perks.

Negatives: (Follow me as I think out loud and then draw your own conclusion) It's one thing when a map has you killing zombies in order to purchase parts for a buildable or to buy your way through a map by unlocking barriers and debris, but it's entirely something else when a map makes killing zombies the very least important thing to do on the map. Like most Black Ops II easter eggs, on Prison Mission you'll spend much, much more time searching for hidden items, deciphering codes and reading pages for clues on how to progress then you will actually spend killing zombies and that does bother me a bit. Because, unless you are among the most obsessive easter egg hunters you won't figure out this map without help and I don't know if that is necessarily a good thing. Sure, after watching some iNsanely-Godlike-youTubers spend a week straight playing the map then you too can show off how good of a player you are, but if that's what it takes then it begs the question; who was this map really made for? I have also taken away 2 points from the Custom Content due to the incorrect weapon settings and missing sounds.

Conclusion: For being a prison filled with the undead it really feels quite alive with all that there is to do and you're bound to stumble across plenty of things that make you laugh or scream just running around this place. Yea, completing the EE is going to be extremely tough, but that was the intention of the map maker, to make an EE that would rival a BO2 zombie map experience and trigger in you every one of the emotions you felt while completing a Treyarch EE in the process; good, bad or otherwise. ZK and company have done an outstanding job raising the bar for a new generation of maps and mappers.

Level of Detail: 7/10
Custom Content: 8/10
Fun Scale: 8/10
Replayability: 10/10

Score: 33/40

Download from the UGX Map Manager
Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:14:34 am by tomikaze
The King of Zombies
Date Registered: 24 June 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Donate to me if you enjoy my work. https://www.paypal.me/thezombiekilla6
Dust's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Dust's Contact & Social LinksMrZ0mbiesFanaticdust103194MrZ0mbiesFanatic
this is '14 now, not '13 ;)
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Custom Map Reviewer
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
tomikaze's Groups
Custom Map Reviewer Has permission to post map review topics in the Custom Map Reviews section of the forum.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
this is '14 now, not '13 ;)

Ha, ha. First New Year's fail for me.
-1 for Tom. Thanks man  :D
The King of Zombies
Date Registered: 24 June 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Dust's Groups
Dust's Contact & Social LinksMrZ0mbiesFanaticdust103194MrZ0mbiesFanatic
Good Review, couldn't have said it better myself. I also love how once you complete the easter egg you get every single perk on the map, and the red space challenge is awesome too, gives you another reason to continue the map even after the easter egg is done.
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
I must humbly disagree with the final rating of this review, for these reasons:

Level of Detail: I've said it before and I'll say it again. Zombie Seelow by CoDMapper is a perfect example of a 10/10 on detail. Anything which is not on that level of mapping detail is not a 10, clear and simple. 10/10 is the top of the scale, so that should be reserved for maps which are equal to the maps at the top of the scale. I'd say that all of the Treyarch Zombie Maps are an 8+ on level detailing. I would give this a 6-7 because while it is a above average, it is certainly not on the level of some other maps we've seen.

Fun Scale: The map should be docked points for all the incorrect weapon reload and sprint times, as well as the still-not-fixed sticky walls and broken Quick Revive. These three things really bother a lot of players that I have talked to, as well as myself.

Other than that, I agree with the sentiment of the review and congratulate ZK on making a great map :)
  • DeletedUser
  • Deleted Member
DeletedUser
This user is deleted :(
I'd say that all of the Treyarch Zombie Maps are an 8+ on level detailing.
Even Tranzit?  :P
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
Even Tranzit?  :P
I erase that from my memory. I'm thinking of all the WaW DLC + Moon, Ascension, Mob of the Dead, etc.
Date Registered: 2 May 2013
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Personal Quote
Hi.
90Dboy's Groups
90Dboy's Contact & Social Links
I erase that from my memory. I'm thinking of all the WaW DLC + Moon, Ascension, Mob of the Dead, etc.
With detail, do you mean incomplete/poor textures?
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
With detail, do you mean incomplete/poor textures?
Detail is everything visual about the map. Model placement, patches, lights, textures, decals, etc.
Date Registered: 2 May 2013
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Personal Quote
Hi.
90Dboy's Groups
90Dboy's Contact & Social Links
Detail is everything visual about the map. Model placement, patches, lights, textures, decals, etc.
Then I don't fully understand why Treyarch's maps have 8/10 in Detail, especially not Buried and Die Rise.
Former UGX Lead Asset Creator
Date Registered: 17 August 2012
Last active: 5 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Eh?
Signature

(Click to enter portfolio)
SajeOne's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Then I don't fully understand why Treyarch's maps have 8/10 in Detail, especially not Buried and Die Rise.
He said WAW DLC plus black ops. If you even the ratio out of something like nacht der untoten being lower(on purpose, it was a prototype) and then maps like call of the dead that are very high it evens out to around 8/10.
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
Buried is not bad-looking imo.

Die Rise is bad. But did I mention either of those maps? No :( I'm just trying to show you a detail baseline, not argue over Treyarch maps.
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Custom Map Reviewer
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
tomikaze's Groups
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access

I'm just not seeing a difference in quality. These could have come from the same map  :D
[UGX] Social Networking & Q.A.
Date Registered: 18 August 2012
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
UGX Team Member
My Groups
More
More
MrSlagovich's Groups
UGX Team Member
For custom content i can't agree on a ten. I get it has a big custom Easter Egg and cool weapons but a ten for me would mean it was perfect. You know having the right animations or custom ones, example sprint animations aren't custom they are just engine ones so they look pretty stupid or the fact guns have silencers but no sounds for silencers and some guns also don't have the right sounds. it also doesn't have a nice looking custom menu. I agree it's a good map and one of the most fun to come out in awhile but i don't think it deserves a high custom content rating for just a Easter egg because the rest of the custom content is sub par, it's either broken weapons or weapons that don't make sense. I feel once he finished it he rushed to release it if he spent an extra few days fixing the bugs i have listed then the map would deserve a higher rating in the custom content section but i feel it lacks in this section at this time. If he updates it and adds what i have said and fixes what i have listed on top of all the bugs on the topic then i agree a 9 or a 10 would be good. But to much is broken or doesn't make sense and it really lets it down.

Post Merge: January 03, 2014, 09:58:23 pm
I would say a 5-6
Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:58:23 pm by MrSlagovich
Date Registered: 11 May 2013
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT
Signature
DeathBringerZen's Groups
I agree with Trem on Die Rise (even though it is off topic somewhat :P). That map was pretty ugly. The Skyline was awful looking with next to no animation going on with it. Just a pixelated still mess.

The rest of the map had no atmosphere, poor lighting use and again, lot's of pixelation.

On topic, I agree that 10/10 is definitely only worthy of a few maps in my opinion. Seelow definitely!, NachtDTW possibly too.

Loading ...