Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
I've been wanting to make a portable N64 for years now, finally decided it's time. I'm hoping to keep the budget around $100 (not including the N64,a MakoPad, and tools which I already have).

Progress:
90%

I will keep this thread updated with pictures etc once I have some.

Here's the list of parts I plan to buy or already have: (* indicates 'already have')
I will try to keep this list updated with everything I had to buy, in case someone wants to replicate this project. I will provide links if applicable, prices, and/or location of purchase.

* N64 Console (Black), had it for who knows how many years.
* MakoPad
* Generic 3rd Party N64 Controller to rip anything else from
* $22.99 - 4.3" LCD Screen http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-3-Inch-LCD-4-3-TFT-Rearview-Monitor-Screen-for-Car-Backup-Camera-DVD-VCD-GPS-/380528992099?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item58994b9f63
* $20.12 - Polycase ZN-45 (was hoping to get something smaller but this is my first portable so I'm going to try to keep things on the easy side) http://www.polycase.com/zn-45
* $15 - AUVIO? MP3 Folding Speaker from Radioshack - http://www.made-by-bacteria.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=1897
* $0 - TI Power Regulator Sample PTH08080WAZ (site's sample page didn't work, but contacted support and they gave me two for free) http://www.ti.com/product/pth08080w
* $24 - x2- Li-Ion Battery 7.4v 2000mAh for Canon BP-915 camera (will be wired together for 4000mAh) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390436247634
* $5.29 - Knockoff battery charger: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BP-915-BP915-BATTERY-CHARGER-FOR-Canon-GL1-GL2-XL1-XL2-/130353785237?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item1e59b0e995
* $1.39 - 100uF 16v+ capacitor from Radioshack
* $1.50 - 1.8 Ohm resistor from Radioshack
* $8.99 - Spool of shielded wire from Radioshack
* $2.00 - On/Off switch of some kind from Radioshack
* $11 - 20mm Fan from Fry's
* $3 - Charging plug + port from Radioshack
* $7 - Copper Heatsinks http://www.ebay.com/itm/330849884420?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Tools:
* Dremel brand kit w/ sanding drums and various different cutting wheels
* Soldering Iron
- Precision electronics tip
* Lead-free solder
* Solder wick
* Solder sucker
* Various Pliers and Screwdrivers
* Gamebit screwdriver (go to hell nintendo) Made my own bit, check page 2 of the thread

Here's my planned case design, I'm open to suggestions as far as placement of the cartridge slot. Currently I plan to make a cradle on the back of the case (for easy access and easy install), but if I could have it any more flush with the overall design, I'm open to it.)

broken avatar :(
Date Registered: 4 August 2012
Last active: 10 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Personal Quote
All my work is secret.
Earth's Groups
Earth's Contact & Social Links
Trem... I'm gonna keep my door unlocked tonight... ;)
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
Trem... I'm gonna keep my door unlocked tonight... ;)
:mother:
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
Just got the two PTH08080WAZ regulator's in the mail... not only did TI give them to me for free but they Fedex overnighted them... jesus christ I feel like I stole these

Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Personal Quote
All my work is secret.
Earth's Groups
are you making only one? I still have thousands of cartridges, and putting them to use on-the-go would be amazing.
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
are you making only one? I still have thousands of cartridges, and putting them to use on-the-go would be amazing.
Depends on how this one goes. If it goes well and I feel like I can improve on the design etc I will probably make multiple revisions and eventually settle on one where I can make multiple copies and sell them.
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Personal Quote
All my work is secret.
Earth's Groups
where I can make multiple copies and sell them.
Let us know how it goes, I'd totally be in on buying one.
Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:33:28 pm by Earth
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
Let us know how it goes, I'd totally be in on buying one.
Sounds good, I'll definitely post about it here.

Just got home with more parts: Speakers, resistors, capacitors, some switches, and some 20 guage stranded wire.

I opened the N64 up today - I almost bought a gamebit screwdriver but for now I'm too cheap. I spent a few minutes hacking up a drill bit using my Dremel and ended up with a cruel little tool that (with some elbow grease) helped me remove the security screws. Credit to this guide for the idea: http://www.made-by-bacteria.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=228&t=861

As far as the speakers go, I'm debating whether to waste my time removing the glue from around the speakers in order to mount them with hot glue in my case, or to just cut around the speakers and frankencase them into my case - the latter won't look as clean but it saves time and the speaker grate is already made. For now I've cut them down to a workable size - later I will probably remove them from the glue so that I can do a clean mount:

[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
Just finished ripping off all the connections I don't need from the motherboard as well as disconnecting the game cartridge port. Will solder the wires to the port tomorrow.

Former UGX Lead Asset Creator
Date Registered: 17 August 2012
Last active: 5 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Eh?
Signature

(Click to enter portfolio)
SajeOne's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
awesome progress trem, looks like its coming along nicely :D
Date Registered: 18 August 2012
Last active: 10 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
karthurm's Groups
karthurm's Contact & Social Linkskarthurmer
Looks good trem  8)
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
Bought more parts today, will solder the game port later today when I get time.

[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
It took about an hour but I managed to get all 48 26-guage wires trimmed & stripped. Also just finished tinning the prongs of the game pack. I'll tin the joints on the motherboard next and then start wiring.
Date Registered: 27 August 2012
Last active: 4 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Custom Map Reviewer
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Tommy Wonka & the Idea Factory
tomikaze's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Custom Map Reviewer Has permission to post map review topics in the Custom Map Reviews section of the forum.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
Alright Treminaor, I know that I'm pretty demanding expecially for a member that doesn't bring a whole lot to the table, but I still have an Atari 2600. Any chance you'd be willing to put a screen in that? I mean, playing Pitfall, Outlaw and Chopper Command on the go would be equal in excitement to being asked to be one of the main characters in The Expendables 3 and then finding out that my ex-wife got hit by a truck on the same day.
Relentless Mapper
Date Registered: 21 August 2011
Last active: 13 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Nuclear
My Groups
More
KDXDARK's Groups
Nuclear
Nuclear
DARKLEGION's requested title
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
KDXDARK's Contact & Social Links

Loading ...