The Worst Secret Agent Ever
Signature
MAK911's Groups
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
Banned Elite
Banned Elite
MAK911's Contact & Social Linksmkramrtmkramrt
So Jammy and I had a little spat and I thought I'd take it to the community for opinions. What happens in his 3D modeling class is his teacher turns on a video and tells the students to copy what the online tutor is doing. Now, my opinion on this case is that what the teacher's doing is smart because he'd probably do the same thing in the video, only over and over again. I learned the same way in my Engineering and Arts classes and it's turned out fine (except I've always drawn like shit so Art didn't help much :P). Jammy, however, believes it's not helpful because the teacher himself isn't teaching the tools. I retorted, saying that everyone will do what they feel is best as for tool usage, and, after a hour long spat, got kicked from FS Community Chat because I just "didn't get it." I'd like your weigh-in on this subject: Should the teacher have to repeat processes over and over again if the video itself teaches it the same way and can be used for reference over and over again?
broken avatar :(
The Last of Us
Date Registered: 28 September 2013
Last active: 3 weeks ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
ฏ๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎
Signature
smasher248's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
smasher248's Contact & Social Linkssmasher248smasher248
time lapse mak, not very helpful if its to quick to see what is happeneing
Date Registered: 17 January 2014
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If you want scripts / features made for you, then contact me by PM or email / skype etc
it will cost you tho so if you have no intention of reciprocating don't even waste my time ;)
Harry Bo21's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Harry Bo21's Contact & Social Links[email protected]HarryBo21HarryBo000
I think hes comparing "teaching how to use" as opposed to "how to recreate X"

I think being taught in early stages to replicate something is good. It helps you to learn the interface so it doesnt seem so daunting

Then once you have learned how cetain aspects are actually done ( as you have a example, and have managed to copy it corectly ) you then apply that knowledge in other ways, or move on to "advanced techniques" or finding your own ways and means

Ive always promoted learning from something by replicating it before starting something completely fresh, because you wont have a clue what your doing and just get frustrated

I mean you wont even understand the "terms" used in these programs unless youve already got a fair bit of experience under the belt

This is also how i learned to script. By recreating the Final Fantasy 6 engine years ago

as for the teacher repeating - yes. This is "how" you learn things. Repeatadly seeing / doing it, with some one available to ask

this is how ou are taught to do a real life job, why should this be any different? You "shadow" a experienced person or tutorial until you "get your feet"
Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:46:05 pm by Harry Bo21
Date Registered: 21 September 2014
Last active: 7 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Mapper - Fracture Studios
Signature
SirJammy's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
SirJammy's Contact & Social Linksjamiecallow2jamboii12SirJammyMrCraftingDude
Predicted it

My tutor comes in the class, sits down and puts on a time-lapse video of some guy modelling a random thing and says "copy it" I told you this probably 10 times. He just sits on his laptop playing borderlands and doing other stuff. This isn't right considering he gets paid to literally teach us useful things we need to know like the hundreds of tools Maya has to offer, UV mapping, texturing, efficiency etc etc. Not sit in a chair playing BL.

But yeah, your warped it so it favours you :/

This shouldn't be on UGX just out of spite or something, We made 2 people leave in Skype chat because of it. Don't bring this here.

Date Registered: 29 July 2015
Last active: 5 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
children should not be playing call of duty
Signature
⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Koan's Groups
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
Koan's Contact & Social Linksh-r_Koan_my website
Mods, lock or remove this topic please, before the cancer grows any more...
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Predicted it
 (Image removed from quote.)

My tutor comes in the class, sits down and puts on a time-lapse video of some guy modelling a random thing and says "copy it" I told you this probably 10 times. He just sits on his laptop playing borderlands and doing other stuff. This isn't right considering he gets paid to literally teach us useful things we need to know like the hundreds of tools Maya has to offer, UV mapping, texturing, efficiency etc etc. Not sit in a chair playing BL.

This shouldn't be on UGX just out of spite or something, We made 2 people leave in Skype chat because of it. Don't bring this here.
ok thats a little different than how the OP put it ???

But id rather a FS argument is not transferred to UGX. Please keep our cool guys ;)

Im not gonna lock it because the "subject" is perfectly acceptable. Its the "example provided" thats in debate

assuming people can discuss the subject rather than get into semantics over the argument its fine, if it derails then ill lock it. Im here all night folks
Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:48:27 pm by Harry Bo21
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
SirJammy's Groups
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
I think hes comparing "teaching how to use" as opposed to "how to recreate X"

I think being taught in early stages to replicate something is good. It helps you to learn the interface so it doesnt seem so daunting

Then once you have learned how cetain aspects are actually done ( as you have a example, and have managed to copy it corectly ) you then apply that knowledge in other ways, or move on to "advanced techniques" or finding your own ways and means

Ive always promoted learning from something by replicating it before starting something completely fresh, because you wont have a clue what your doing and just get frustrated

I mean you wont even understand the "terms" used in these programs unless youve already got a fair bit of experience under the belt

This is also how i learned to script. By recreating the Final Fantasy 6 engine years ago

as for the teacher repeating - yes. This is "how" you learn things. Repeatadly seeing / doing it, with some one available to ask

this is how ou are taught to do a real life job, why should this be any different? You "shadow" a experienced person or tutorial until you "get your feet"

Thank you Harry

Double Post Merge: January 10, 2016, 10:47:35 pm
Mods, lock or remove this topic please, before the cancer grows any more...

+11111 Please
Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:47:35 pm by SirJammy
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
lol, i repeat

Im not gonna lock it because the "subject" is perfectly acceptable. Its the "example provided" thats in debate

assuming people can discuss the subject rather than get into semantics over the argument its fine, if it derails then ill lock it. Im here all night folks
The Last of Us
Date Registered: 28 September 2013
Last active: 3 weeks ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
ฏ๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎
smasher248's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
smasher248's Contact & Social Linkssmasher248smasher248
ok thats a little different than how the OP put it ???

harry, what jammy put is what we have been saying to mak for an hour, he just doesnt get it, probably is best to lock it as it got quite nasty and had to have a new group chat made on skype, because it was annoying the other members of the group it was on
Constants and Variables
Date Registered: 18 August 2013
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Box Mappers Elite
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
MAK911's Groups
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
Banned Elite
Banned Elite
Predicted it
 (Image removed from quote.)

I didn't warp it at all. It's exactly how I see it. The class is just for the degree. You could literally learn everything about maya online. Hell, elfy gave me about 3gb worth of videos from some tutor site just for UVing. This all comes together to mean that the class has no point. Sure, classes like math and other stuff should be hands-on help, but Maya can be taught just with videos. Time lapses aren't so bad as long as the don't go too quick. If you had a second monitor in class, this wouldn't even be a problem. For example: This spaceship tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZQusXuw12s is 12 minutes long. For the end result, he clearly spent several HOURS doing it. You don't have several hours; only 2. So, speed it down to 0.25 and anyone can do it in that time span.
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
then why is the tutor there at all i think the point is...

anyway, as i said, move on from your argument please...
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
SirJammy's Groups
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
lol, i repeat

Thing is, Mak will just, like I said before, warp it so it makes me look like the idiot. And that's only going to cause me to keep responding to his idiocity in an aggressive way. He can shrug this off as me "backing down because I know I'm wrong" or whatever he wants to think. But I just don't want it infecting the forums, same as everyone else who was there when this happened.

Double Post Merge: January 10, 2016, 10:53:18 pm

This is what everyone has pretty much been telling him, but he doesn't get it :/
Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:53:18 pm by SirJammy
  • Exofile
  • Deleted Member
Exofile
This user is deleted :(
Can't copy the image link on my phone, but how has this been a little spat exactly? :please:

http://imgur.com/a/VVn0M
Constants and Variables
Date Registered: 18 August 2013
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Box Mappers Elite
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
MAK911's Groups
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
Banned Elite
Banned Elite

The tutor's just there so you can get verified in the end for the degree from college IMO. You don't NEED him; he's just there so you can say,"I graduated from this class." You still need a teacher for it to actually go on a transcript.
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
SirJammy's Groups
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
The tutor's just there so you can get verified in the end for the degree from college IMO. You don't NEED him; he's just there so you can say,"I graduated from this class." You still need a teacher for it to actually go on a transcript.

Loading ...