Last active: 11 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
ShotgunRagtime's Contact & Social LinksShotgunRagtime
I've been away from UGX for a while, so it wasn't until recently that I noticed the beta for Oil Rig was out. And it's paid. So, a thread.

Let it be known -- I have an open mind. I've actually "paid" for a beta already, although the beta was more of a bonus (as I originally donated DLC to the mapper that he was going to mod... long story). I do NOT come here to complain or make an ass of myself (we have enough of that already on the forums), but rather to give my honest, thought-out opinion.

I do not agree with the practice of releasing paid betas. There are several reasons for this.

Mapping should be done for FUN, not financial gain. The first retort to that statement is that mapping takes hours away that could be spent doing other things. However -- ANY form of recreation takes away time that could be spent working. If one does not gain the same enjoyment while creating maps that they get from reading a book or playing a game, then they should stop mapping. Mapping is a creative process, tedious at times, yes, but a creative process should be enjoyable to the creator. If it is so unenjoyable that financial compensation is requested, then you may as well just stop mapping entirely because you clearly despise it. Otherwise, asking for money to map is like me asking for money to sit on my ass and play games -- what one does for recreation they do for recreation, not cash.

I would consider situations where donation money directly covers legit financial expenditures (put towards mapping) exempt from this claim, though. For example -- I have no problem with UGX requesting donations in exchange for a Requiem beta, because UGX.com costs money to keep on the internet. As such, the donations are rightfully funding the site, rather than providing a financial reward.

And let it be said -- if someone is so desperately poor that they feel it necessary to request donations, then they need to look elsewhere for money. Why? Because it is EXTREMELY unlikely that the amount accrued from donations on UGX will be anywhere near enough to keep someone afloat. Furthermore, it is impossible to discern if someone is making up claims to grab some quick bucks. Again -- mapping is NOT a career, it is a recreational HOBBY.

But, there are even more important arguments against paid betas. The main issue I have with it, above all else, is that betas should be given to RELIABLE, DEDICATED testers, not average joes who paid $4. This is similar to the EA craze on Steam. A beta should not be for funsies, it should be for testing. It should not be a reward, or a privilege: betas have always existed to polish a map to the highest standard before release. Average joe is NOT going to give good feedback or hunt for bugs. Only a dedicated tester who seeks simply to better the map can do that.

As another user pointed out, paid betas can lead to exploitation, as a mapper could simply keep a map in beta for an extended period to get more from donations. But this is a fringe issue compared to the ones explained above.

In closing:

-- Map for FUN, not PROFIT. It's a hobby, not a job, and if you consider it such you ought to stop doing it
-- Give betas to responsible, trusted individuals who will work to make the map fit for public consumption, rather than feeding the public raw meat and asking that they "test" it
-- A beta is not an early release, it is an unfinished copy. We do NOT need Steam EA craze here on UGX.

Thank you all for your time.

broken avatar :(
drago
Date Registered: 5 July 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
More
jjbradman's Groups
jjbradman's Contact & Social Linksjjbradmanjjbradmanjjbradman
steviewonder disliking this in 3...2...1...
Constants and Variables
Date Registered: 18 August 2013
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Box Mappers Elite
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
The Worst Secret Agent Ever
Signature
MAK911's Groups
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
Banned Elite
Banned Elite
MAK911's Contact & Social Linksmkramrtmkramrt
NOPE! I was already told I was getting off without a ban! I am NOT participating in this thread! Goodbye!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUq8dSOqWkw
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 9 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
Sorry but you already missed your chance on this, its already all been said 10 different ways in the original thread. Locking this to prevent another repeat debate.

Loading ...