More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
paypal.me/RT275
Signature
paypal.me/RT275
Rorke's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Rorke's Contact & Social Linkshickle.meddowsandrewshaworiginal_rorkewormnation
Windows has detected failed hard drive sectors please back up your important files

Is this telling me to get a new hard drive or what? Is it false error message or ligit? Is there a way around it?
broken avatar :(
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Date Registered: 13 August 2012
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Let's keep this thread on topic from here on in. -DBZ

+1 to off-topic reply -DBZ

lmao. Too funny.

Goliath Script Placer: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,11234.msg125257/topicseen.html#new

"...Christ, people. Learn C, instead of just stringing random characters
together until it compiles (with warnings)..."

-Linus Torvalds
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
daedra descent's Contact & Social LinksBlueSoviet
Well, if its just telling you to backup your files and not download some shady program then it probably is.

If you want to be 100% sure though, right click your Windows drive(normally C:), click properties, then tools, then error checking. This will prompt you to restart your computer and will run a disk check for that drive. Depending on the drive selected it could take a few hours(may appear inactive, don't shut computer down). Read whatever is printed on the screen as it does the scan.
Remington R5
Date Registered: 18 January 2015
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
paypal.me/RT275
Rorke's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Well, if its just telling you to backup your files and not download some shady program then it probably is.

If you want to be 100% sure though, right click your Windows drive(normally C:), click properties, then tools, then error checking. This will prompt you to restart your computer and will run a disk check for that drive. Depending on the drive selected it could take a few hours(may appear inactive, don't shut computer down). Read whatever is printed on the screen as it does the scan.
already did that and it didnt tell me anything useful

Double Post Merge: November 27, 2015, 02:03:53 am
gpedit.msc also didnt help with the "diagnostics" option missing from the selection i was going to try that but didnt work

Double Post Merge: November 27, 2015, 02:13:03 am
just done it again as we speak nothing has indicated towards failed sectors
Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 02:13:03 am by Rorke
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
already did that and it didnt tell me anything useful

Double Post Merge: November 27, 2015, 02:03:53 am
gpedit.msc also didnt help with the "diagnostics" option missing from the selection i was going to try that but didnt work

Anything useful? Everything check disk prints on the screen is useful, you just need to know what your looking at/for.

Don't know why you'd be messing with the Group Policy Editor. It isn't what you'd(typically) use.
Remington R5
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
paypal.me/RT275
Rorke's Groups
Anything useful? Everything check disk prints on the screen is useful, you just need to know what your looking at/for.

Don't know why you'd be messing with the Group Policy Editor. It isn't what you'd(typically) use.
i tried to use it coz i read online that if you changed a setting restarted pc then dissabled it it would fix it but i didnt get that far. also i spoke to microsoft about this and they said new hard drive thats what they would recomend they stated this: "as you have done all the trouble shooting for the drive all we can suggest is a new drive or a second hand one from a friend" but the problem is i have tried my brother in-law's HDD and its running vista with all the incorrect drivers so i took it back out and put the faulty one back in (looky i have a spare pc) marginally better than my previous one the one thats fucked
Date Registered: 15 October 2014
Respect
Forum Rank
Rotting Walker
Primary Group
gr00t's Groups
gr00t's Contact & Social Links
Checking the SMART log should be your first priority.

Every manufactured hard drive contains a standardized low level diagnostic log (SMART) used to record various operating attributes.

If the raw value of re-allocated or pending sector counts have incremented above zero then it's a sign of disk failure.  You want to backup all data to another device or storage medium (DVD, etc).   Your drive could fail soon or last months or longer.  There's no easy way to tell or guess, just be prepared.

There are various utilities you can use to view the SMART log.

# commandline
smartmontools - open source

# GUI
gsmartcontrol - open source - (this is a cross platform graphical interface for smartmontools)

speedfan - closed source - (has the ability to pull SMART log)
hdtune - closed source - similar to speedfan

I'd recommend trying GSmartcontrol, but you'll definitely want to verify the checksum of the .exe against the published MD5 or SHA1 hash prior to execution as the project was moved from web host berlios.de to sourceforge.net last year.

Sourceforge has been known to modify .exe without approval of project owners.  This is why you should always verify the checksum of a download against the value published on the website.

Also be aware that you may also need to download smartmontools.  I'm not entirely sure if smartmontools is included in the windows version of GSmartcontrol.

Additional references.
--------------------------
http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/index.php/Screenshots
http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/index.php/Downloads
https://www.smartmontools.org/

http://superuser.com/questions/29240/how-can-i-read-my-hard-drives-smart-status-in-windows-7
Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:25:26 am by gr00t
Date Registered: 17 January 2014
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If you want scripts / features made for you, then contact me by PM or email / skype etc
it will cost you tho so if you have no intention of reciprocating don't even waste my time ;)
Harry Bo21's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Harry Bo21's Contact & Social Links[email protected]HarryBo21HarryBo000
all of this is relevent and helpful, but if in doubt - i would just back up your stuff ASAP before anything can go wrong, and consider the "possibility" of just replacing it. Always a good opportunity to step up in size or get a SSD

better to be safe than sorry, back up asap til you work out whats up ( i have a second hard drive in my pc and several external drives for this reason lol )

as for your brothers hard drive - why did you not just "update the drivers" ? lol
[UGX] Documentation Writer & Programmer
Date Registered: 23 August 2013
Last active: 6 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
UGX Team Member
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
(ง º ω º )ง u wont sum m8y?
Signature
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
DidUknowiPwn's Groups
UGX Team Member
Community Scripter Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom scripting in the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
Windows has detected failed hard drive sectors please back up your important files

Is this telling me to get a new hard drive or what? Is it false error message or ligit? Is there a way around it?
run a chkdsk but in most cases your hdd is going bad.
Remington R5
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
paypal.me/RT275
Rorke's Groups
all of this is relevent and helpful, but if in doubt - i would just back up your stuff ASAP before anything can go wrong, and consider the "possibility" of just replacing it. Always a good opportunity to step up in size or get a SSD

better to be safe than sorry, back up asap til you work out whats up ( i have a second hard drive in my pc and several external drives for this reason lol )

as for your brothers hard drive - why did you not just "update the drivers" ? lol
codnt update the drivers coz it was running 32 bit my hardware dont like 32 bit drivers it likes 64 bit ones instead and coz its a 32 bit it dont let me install them

Double Post Merge: December 11, 2015, 02:07:57 am
ok so i think i destroyed my bro's HDD (ooppss im a dead man) i installed 64 bit OS over the top of a 32 bit os and now its refusing to detect a hard drive i have tried my external 2TB hard drive and its not letting install it to that either ive also tried a 128GB micro sd memory card and its told me to go fuck off i cannot get a usb to boot up coz of unknown bios password
Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:07:57 am by Rorke
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
codnt update the drivers coz it was running 32 bit my hardware dont like 32 bit drivers it likes 64 bit ones instead and coz its a 32 bit it dont let me install them

ok so i think i destroyed my bro's HDD (ooppss im a dead man) i installed 64 bit OS over the top of a 32 bit os and now its refusing to detect a hard drive i have tried my external 2TB hard drive and its not letting install it to that either ive also tried a 128GB micro sd memory card and its told me to go fuck off i cannot get a usb to boot up coz of unknown bios password

^What happens when you screw with shit you don't understand.

Edit: and 64 bit hardware will run a 32 bit hardware and drivers just fine. The only major differences is that you can't run 64-bit software and your limited to 3.5 GB of RAM.
Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:15:36 am by daedra descent
Date Registered: 17 January 2014
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Harry Bo21's Contact & Social Links[email protected]HarryBo21HarryBo000

not sure how youve even done that
Remington R5
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
paypal.me/RT275
Rorke's Groups
^What happens when you screw with shit you don't understand.

Edit: and 64 bit hardware will run a 32 bit hardware and drivers just fine. The only major differences is that you can't run 64-bit software and your limited to 3.5 GB of RAM.
well it refused to install drivers on the 32 bit
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups