Donator ♥
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
rdthdthth
omgitsbothscarab's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
omgitsbothscarab's Contact & Social Linksbothscarab86LilyMu
Once again, I was bored. I figured that since it's getting closer to winter/Christmas (for most of us, anyway), I might as well upload something that could help add some detail to maps with the contest, or something. Maybe.

Huge thanks to BlackJackJonnyy for his tutorials.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't attempt this if you don't have at least intermediate knowledge of Radiant.

First, you're obviously going to need a snow texture (note: this doesn't have to be snow; you can use whatever texture you want as long as it blends.), which I included in the .zip, as well as a finished example of what this will look like.
Put the snow1.iwi into raw\images and the images folder of your map.
(To find it in Radiant, look under the "ground" textures, or press the big F button on the toolbar and search for it.)

1. Open Radiant, then make a square about the size of the road you want (I made mine 384x).

2. With the square selected, go to Patch > Simple terrain patch, and make a patch with 6 x 6 vertices. After you've done that, press S to open up the surface inspector and press CAP (get in the habit of doing this often).

3. Press V to open up the vertices selection and select these two that I circled:

Then, press ctrl + shift + A to add a column of vertices.

Do it again for the opposite side so it looks like this:

4. Select one of the two innermost vertical rows:

then press ctrl + shift + Q to delete it.

Do it again for the other side.

(5; optional) Highlight the top horizontal row:

then press alt + O to copy it.

Do this for the top and sides until you get the desired height and width you want (make sure to CAP it when you're done).

6. Highlight this column:

then press ctrl + shift + X to split the patch along its seam. Then, do it again for the other side. You should now have three separate patches:

7. Apply the desired road/asphalt texture to the middle patch (I'm using a custom one; I didn't include it in the .zip) and select the Natural texture setting in the surface inspector:

and press space bar to copy it. Apply the snow texture to the copied patch:

then place it directly over the road-textured patch.

8. Hold down ctrl and highlight these columns:

9. Press G to open up the Vertex Color/Alpha Editing menu. Make sure the "Alpha" box is ticked and move the alpha slider until you get the desired transparency (I set mine to 69 for simplicity's sake; somewhere between 0 and 69 is what I recommend, depending on the result you want).

(The yellow is just showing you the two columns you'll want to select, it's not part of Radiant.)

10. You should now have a pretty nice-looking, detailed road!

Feel free to alt + O until you're happy with how long it (the road...) is (but make sure to Natural the road and CAP the snow part. Copying may require a bit of texture manipulation, which I won't explain here).

But, this wouldn't be a tutorial for a bendy road if we didn't bend it, would it? No, it wouldn't be.

11. On to the bending! Press the I key to select everything (this will select everything, so make sure you either have nothing else in your map, or just select this by hand), then press W to weld the patches together. Decide where you want it to start bending, then select the four verts in the middle (make sure ALL of the patches are selected before doing this):

Hold down alt and left click; drag until you get the desired amount of curve. Repeat this for the rest of it.

12. And you're done!

Unless, of course, you want to add more detail, some examples of which are included in the prefab.

Hopefully this at least helped you a little bit. This is my first real Radiant tutorial, so I'm sorry if it wasn't very clear. If you have any problems that don't have incredibly obvious answers, leave a post and I'll try to answer them.

Double Post Merge: October 18, 2014, 09:02:43 pm
Sorry for the length of this, by the way. Wow.
Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:02:44 pm by omgitsbothscarab
broken avatar :(
Date Registered: 19 August 2014
Last active: 7 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
OMTGaming
OfficialMT22's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
OfficialMT22's Contact & Social LinksOMTGamingOfficialMT22OfficialMT22GamingOMTGaming
could you make a video tutorial on how to do terrain and how to edit it?
Date Registered: 14 September 2013
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Rotting Walker
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
rdthdthth
Terrain for this specifically? Or just a video in general? I could do either, although I don't know how good it would be without talking (my mic is shitty as fuck :( )
Date Registered: 19 August 2014
Last active: 7 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
OMTGaming
OfficialMT22's Groups
OfficialMT22's Contact & Social LinksOMTGamingOfficialMT22OfficialMT22GamingOMTGaming
Terrain for this specifically? Or just a video in general? I could do either, although I don't know how good it would be without talking (my mic is shitty as fuck :( )

terrain in general. Im new to making maps. so all i know how to do is a flat floor type terrain lmao
Date Registered: 2 March 2014
Last active: 10 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Now you see me, Now you don`t
FATKIDSLOV3CAK3's Groups
FATKIDSLOV3CAK3's Contact & Social LinksHypercaineHypercaineZombies_dieFATKIDSLOV3CAK3
good tut man but it could really do with a video for it as for some people will get confused with the amount of steps you have here but well done for it :)
Date Registered: 14 September 2013
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Rotting Walker
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
rdthdthth
Thanks! :D Yeah, I realised how many steps there were after I posted it... lmao. I'll try to get a few videos up ASAP :)
Date Registered: 18 October 2013
Last active: 12 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
InFInIX's Groups
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
InFInIX's Contact & Social Links
Good tutorial
there are easier ways to do it but its ok  :D

Loading ...