Donator ♥
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
Battlefield is giving COD the hands rn
Signature
I just spent two hours moving trees around.

Gold Station Zombies: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=5911.0
sedozz's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
sedozz's Contact & Social Linksosean17sedozzsedozz
Does anyone have any texturing tips? I, and I assume many others, strive to produce a map that looks pleasing and detailed. Are there any common texturing rules/tips/conventions that are used? Examples of such may be a specific wall texturing pattern i.e. trim, wall, moulding something. I'm not quite sure where to start when making buildings and interior walls look realistic. Thanks in advance!
broken avatar :(
RadihaX
Date Registered: 2 September 2012
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper Elite
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Overrun
Lockdown
Overrun (Black Ops Mod)
Snowglobe
Leviathan
Abandoned School
Ski Resort
Leviathan Redux
JBird632's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom mapping in the UGX-Mods community.
Community Scripter Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom scripting in the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
JBird632's Contact & Social LinksJBird632JBird632JBird632JBird632JBird632Mapper
My rule of thumb for texturing is constancy. Though World at War is loaded with a lot of textures to choose from, its good to stick with the same style of textures (making a city? don't use wood for the buildings, that sort of idea). You mentioned trim and moldings, I generally like to have every wall with something to make it more 3 dimensional - a flat textured wall looks plain and boring (this also includes adding trim to window and doorways). Another great tip would be to use decals on walls, maybe blend some dirt up the bottom of the wall or cracks to show ware.

Hope this helps.
  • Exofile
  • Deleted Member
Exofile
This user is deleted :(
Trims & Monster... Trims & Monster. All I'm going to say :please:
Date Registered: 21 December 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
More
Signature
The sound of God is the screech of tires, lights and magnets, bolts and wires. Strayed from the road, this very one, still to come. The sound of tires is the sound of God, the electric version.
mrpeanut188's Groups
mrpeanut188's Contact & Social Linksmrpeanut1881337p34nutmrpeanut188
Trims are what turns into a dull, bland, box map into a trimmed box map.  ::)

Personally I have a terrible time judging scale on the actual texturing.

Anyways, quick tip time! Middle-click a face to select it's texture.
Any selected faces while using this trick will be textured with the new texture.

Also, select one face then ALT+MIDDLE-CLICK on another face will make the 2 textures like up, perfect if you have a wall composed of many brushes, or going around a pillar, etc.

Oh, also you can use decals for trims, they work very well. In the absence of AO, using a wall-trim decal can make it look pretty nice.
Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:59:33 am by mrpeanut188
Date Registered: 2 November 2014
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
More
Personal Quote
Embrace the Darkness
Tim Smith's Groups
Tim Smith's Contact & Social Linkstimsmith90THEREALBaDBoY17TimSmithMy clan Website
My rule of thumb for texturing is constancy. Though World at War is loaded with a lot of textures to choose from, its good to stick with the same style of textures (making a city? don't use wood for the buildings, that sort of idea). You mentioned trim and moldings, I generally like to have every wall with something to make it more 3 dimensional - a flat textured wall looks plain and boring (this also includes adding trim to window and doorways). Another great tip would be to use decals on walls, maybe blend some dirt up the bottom of the wall or cracks to show ware.

Hope this helps.
perfection. No need to explain more.
Date Registered: 4 January 2015
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Battlefield is giving COD the hands rn
sedozz's Groups
sedozz's Contact & Social Linksosean17sedozzsedozz
Trims are what turns into a dull, bland, box map into a trimmed box map.  ::)

Personally I have a terrible time judging scale on the actual texturing.

Anyways, quick tip time! Middle-click a face to select it's texture.
Any selected faces while using this trick will be textured with the new texture.

Also, select one face then ALT+MIDDLE-CLICK on another face will make the 2 textures like up, perfect if you have a wall composed of many brushes, or going around a pillar, etc.

Oh, also you can use decals for trims, they work very well. In the absence of AO, using a wall-trim decal can make it look pretty nice.

Great shortcuts!

Hope this helps.

I've been working to add three dimensional details to walls but most of the time they end up looking forced and non-cohesive. Do you have any examples of common additions you like to add to walls (in terms of brushes) ? Thanks for your tips thus far!
Date Registered: 11 November 2015
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Deadon's Groups
Deadon's Contact & Social Links
Adding holes in the walls seems to help the player gameplay-wise while looking pretty good and adding a nice feel to the map.

Loading ...