My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
MAPS:
Dale's Dock
Compound
Dale's Dig

trebeltom1's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
trebeltom1's Contact & Social LinksWaffle Fries
hey guys, has anyone here used unity much, and is it worth getting in to. I do love the cod tools, but they are very limited, and the unity engine seems like a good place to start to learn. how does it compare to other engines, I have seen forums on this, but they are all quite biased
thanks
broken avatar :(
[UGX] Maintainer (Admin & Programmer)
Date Registered: 29 August 2012
Last active: 8 hours ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Dolphin!
Signature
changed one line of code, bug is fixed

Coming to work on monday morning.
When a bug mysteriously disappears.

:ugxmods: Developer ;)
Delta's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX Chat Moderator Has the ability to mute, kick, or ban chat members for being abusive or breaking the rules of the forum.
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
Delta's Contact & Social Linksthe-deltaugxDeltaItsDeltaigDelta igdeltaigdeltaUGX_DeltaDelta#6147Personal Site
Unity is the perfect engine to get started, easy to use but can also do amazing advanced stuff.
On top of this, the license is (with v4 even more) suitable for beginner / indie dev.
3D Modeler & Animator
Date Registered: 25 June 2011
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Messatsu!
Signature
Darkmapper's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
If you are a single person, Unity is great to get started!
Unity is veery simple to use, for modeling you can literally drag and drop nearly any kind of model file into the editor (It supports .fbx and even .mb/.ma !!)

i wouldnt really suggest UDK or Cryengine. Cryengine is quite complex and the documentation is not thaaat good imo. UDK has a very great community but because it has so many features it can be quite complex to get an understanding of it.

Unity is easy to get into. You wont hit its limits for quite a time, trust me lol. Unity also has a very great, friendly and helpfull community that can help you out with questions/problems. Ive taken a look at unity and was very pleased with it. Ive never started something serious with it though.
Date Registered: 17 February 2013
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
trebeltom1's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
thanks for the feedback, and another question. Is there any merit to making buildings inside cod radiant and exporting them to maya then unity, given I don't know how to use blender. Also am I allowed to distribute my game if it contains things built in cod radiant?
3D Modeler & Animator
Date Registered: 25 June 2011
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Messatsu!
Darkmapper's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
thanks for the feedback, and another question. Is there any merit to making buildings inside cod radiant and exporting them to maya then unity, given I don't know how to use blender. Also am I allowed to distribute my game if it contains things built in cod radiant?

You can export BSP brushes from Radiant to a .mel script for maya. Textures dont get exported though.
As long as you have made these brushes yourself you should be fine. Most of the time, it is better to create the buildings from scratch inside maya/blender because you will come up with far more efficient work which will also be much better to work with.
Date Registered: 17 February 2013
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
trebeltom1's Groups
ok, I will learn to use them then, although I think that for creating large levels, the cod radiant is a good tool compared with the unity scene editor. I find it easier to sketch out my ideas. I love the freedom that the engine gives though, and I can't wait to raise enough money for the pro-version, some of the features there look amazing
[UGX] Maintainer (Admin & Programmer)
Date Registered: 29 August 2012
Last active: 8 hours ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Dolphin!
Delta's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX Chat Moderator Has the ability to mute, kick, or ban chat members for being abusive or breaking the rules of the forum.
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
Delta's Contact & Social Linksthe-deltaugxDeltaItsDeltaigDelta igdeltaigdeltaUGX_DeltaDelta#6147Personal Site
Well, if you get used to Unity and have some talented ppl with you, Unity is defenitely more open than cod + radiant.

Obviously it's not that easy as Radiant, but it's complexity will guarantee you much more freedom as a mapper.

But it's important to work in a team depending on what you plan.

Btw, Unity can be used to create large enviroments. Larger than all cod maps together ;)

- Work with the free version (with ships with a 30days trial of the pro) and get used to it and make sure you really like it. Then you can go pro and do much more amaizing stuff ;)

Loading ...