Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
FLUXtrance's Groups
Hey all, Quick question to those of you who map a lot. I've been mapping for about a year now, so I like to think I have a pretty good grasp of what all the textures under "tools" are used for, and I'm aware of what "Caulk" does, but I'm curious. Why does everyone build their objects out of Caulk, then re-texture? Is it so they can leave textures that will never be seen "invisible" and save game resources? Honestly, I've always just used the textures I wanted, and never bothered with that step, as it just seemed unnecessary to me. are there any major benefits to using Caulk? Am I making a mistake not using it? My PC can basically run anything, so I never notice frame-rate differences, so if it makes a difference in frame-rate, I wouldn't know. Thanks! :)
broken avatar :(
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 9 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
Hey all, Quick question to those of you who map a lot. I've been mapping for about a year now, so I like to think I have a pretty good grasp of what all the textures under "tools" are used for, and I'm aware of what "Caulk" does, but I'm curious. Why does everyone build their objects out of Caulk, then re-texture? Is it so they can leave textures that will never be seen "invisible" and save game resources? Honestly, I've always just used the textures I wanted, and never bothered with that step, as it just seemed unnecessary to me. are there any major benefits to using Caulk? Am I making a mistake not using it? My PC can basically run anything, so I never notice frame-rate differences, so if it makes a difference in frame-rate, I wouldn't know. Thanks! :)
People leave them as caulk textures because it makes them feel special inside  :lol:
You can use any texture, the actual idea behind it is that in the early stages of mapping, you don't want to commit to anything because the layout could change at any time, so you don't want to waste time texturing brushes and patches you might resize or delete later. Once you're reasonably satisfied with everything then you start adding textures.

As far as surfaces that are hidden, yes, use caulk textures. Caulk isn't rendered by the game engine, so it saves FPS if you set any hidden surfaces to Caulk.
Date Registered: 13 June 2013
Last active: 7 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
FLUXtrance's Groups
People leave them as caulk textures because it makes them feel special inside  :lol:
You can use any texture, the actual idea behind it is that in the early stages of mapping, you don't want to commit to anything because the layout could change at any time, so you don't want to waste time texturing brushes and patches you might resize or delete later. Once you're reasonably satisfied with everything then you start adding textures.

As far as surfaces that are hidden, yes, use caulk textures. Caulk isn't rendered by the game engine, so it saves FPS if you set any hidden surfaces to Caulk.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I designed my entire map without Caulk so far, so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something major

Loading ...