UGX-Mods Login

or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

Using Blender to apply PAP skin? (solved)

broken avatar :(
Created 11 years ago
by offthewall2112
Date Registered: 21 April 2013
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
I've ran into this problem using assman to try and accomplish the same task, I can only apply 1 of the 2 PAP materials using skin override. I installed Blender thinking it would make things easier but it's not lol. The gun I'm using is the Thompson with drum mag, it's a really cool gun and I think it would look great with the default PAP skin when upgraded. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:27:53 am by offthewall2112
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
I got it working using Maya, thanks for the YT tut Sajeone ;).

Former UGX Lead Asset Creator
Date Registered: 17 August 2012
Last active: 5 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Eh?
Signature

(Click to enter portfolio)
SajeOne's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Looks cool
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
Looks cool
Thanks again for that YT vid. I'm adding all kinds of mp weapons with attachments and PAP camos now, I've already got a few made. The mp40 with double mag, silencer, aperture and PAP camo is just ridiculous lol. I'll probably try working on some mp exclusive weapons too, and see what zombie PAP camos work. I'll be posting a few pre-made ones with a tutorial focused on skinning, so people can do the same thing until all mp variants are available.
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 9 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
I hope you're utilizing the mp weapon models and the hideTags weapon settings rather than adding all the attachments manually in blender :)
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
I hope you're utilizing the mp weapon models and the hideTags weapon settings rather than adding all the attachments manually in blender :)
Hey, I'm not sure if I know what you mean. I've been loading the mp weapon in Maya, deleting anything I don't want (regular clip usually, and the meshes which are identical to the PAP one), and then just dragging the PAP camo on top of the weapon. The way I'm doing it now is pretty easy, but if I don't have to delete anything then that's even easier. I would like to clear this up so I can fix my tutorial if needed. I tried Blender but I'm really liking Maya a lot more. Thanks
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
Hey, I'm not sure if I know what you mean. I've been loading the mp weapon in Maya, deleting anything I don't want (regular clip usually, and the meshes which are identical to the PAP one), and then just dragging the PAP camo on top of the weapon. The way I'm doing it now is pretty easy, but if I don't have to delete anything then that's even easier. I would like to clear this up so I can fix my tutorial if needed. I tried Blender but I'm really liking Maya a lot more. Thanks
Yeah that's exactly what I was hoping you weren't doing. All you need to do is add the full, unedited mp model of the gun into your map. Then you open the weaponFile from weapons/sp in your mod and find the "hideTags" section of the file. Then you add the joint names of the attachments that you want to hide. So if you wanted a silenced MP-40 (no drum mag, aperture sight, etc), you would put in this for the hideTags section:

Code Snippet
Plaintext
hideTags\TAG_AMMO_EXPANDER
TAG_APERTURE
J_Bigammo\notetrackSoundMap

Notice that there is a new line started after every tag name except the last one. This is necessary and important!

You can find examples for all of the weapons in raw/weapons/mp. You can tell what joints control which gun parts by loading the mp gun model in Maya and clicking each joint to see what mesh they are bound to.
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
As easy as it should be, I can't seem to get hidetags to work. I literally copied the thompson_bigammo_mp weaponfile, and renamed it to another weapon in my mod. The viewmodel_mp is being called in mod builder, but when I give the player the weapon, all of the attachments are still being loaded. The reloadanim is correct, so I don't get it. Thanks
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
As easy as it should be, I can't seem to get hidetags to work. I literally copied the thompson_bigammo_mp weaponfile, and renamed it to another weapon in my mod. The viewmodel_mp is being called in mod builder, but when I give the player the weapon, all of the attachments are still being loaded. The reloadanim is correct, so I don't get it. Thanks
Don't try to use it for another weapon. Do a correct addition of an untouched mp thompson viewmodel and try again.
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
Don't try to use it for another weapon. Do a correct addition of an untouched mp thompson viewmodel and try again.
The viewmodel_mp_thompson I'm using is untouched, but it's acting like the joints are messed up, while everything looks fine in Maya. If I hide "j_mag_drum" then it actually hides the "j_clip", if I hide all of the joints then the silencer still remains for some reason. Earlier when I added guns that I edited with Maya, I used their weapon file but renamed it to something that's already in the UGX mod and everything worked fine. I've been using the XM8 for testing so I didn't have to edit more files, it just seemed a lot easier, but is that what's breaking the "hideTags" function?
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
The viewmodel_mp_thompson I'm using is untouched, but it's acting like the joints are messed up, while everything looks fine in Maya. If I hide "j_mag_drum" then it actually hides the "j_clip", if I hide all of the joints then the silencer still remains for some reason. Earlier when I added guns that I edited with Maya, I used their weapon file but renamed it to something that's already in the UGX mod and everything worked fine. I've been using the XM8 for testing so I didn't have to edit more files, it just seemed a lot easier, but is that what's breaking the "hideTags" function?
It should be working correctly with CoD5 models, but I know with CoD4 models you have to actually hide the tag that comes after the tag you actually want to hide. That sounds like what you are experiencing. Don't ask me why it happens, I just figured it out one day that that's how it works lol.
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
It should be working correctly with CoD5 models, but I know with CoD4 models you have to actually hide the tag that comes after the tag you actually want to hide. That sounds like what you are experiencing. Don't ask me why it happens, I just figured it out one day that that's how it works lol.
Strange, lol. That's exactly what's happening, but the problem I'm having now is that there's no tags after the silencer. So does that mean I can't hide that one in the weapon file?

At this point it seems easier to just manually edit the model lol, is there any disadvantages in doing it that way? So far I've been having the most success with that method.

Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 05:37:45 am by offthewall2112
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
Strange, lol. That's exactly what's happening, but the problem I'm having now is that there's no tags after the silencer. So does that mean I can't hide that one in the weapon file?

At this point it seems easier to just manually edit the model lol, is there any disadvantages in doing it that way? So far I've been having the most success doing it that way.

(Image removed from quote.)
You have to add a dummy tag to the end of the tag heirarchy in order to hide the last tag on the weapon. For example in UGX Mod for the M14 I had to create a new tag called tagz_fuckmyass so that I could hide tag_scope (lol). HOWEVER it should be working perfectly for MP CoD5 weapons as I said earlier. Zombie Realism takes advantage of this feature as well as many other older maps. If you can't get it working then yes I suppose the Maya approach is quicker sadly (that is, if you can't get a tag to hide without adding a new one).
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
You have to add a dummy tag to the end of the tag heirarchy in order to hide the last tag on the weapon. For example in UGX Mod for the M14 I had to create a new tag called tagz_fuckmyass so that I could hide tag_scope (lol). HOWEVER it should be working perfectly for MP CoD5 weapons as I said earlier. Zombie Realism takes advantage of this feature as well as many other older maps. If you can't get it working then yes I suppose the Maya approach is quicker sadly (that is, if you can't get a tag to hide without adding a new one).
I see, I'm willing to give that a try but I'm still new to Maya. Is there a simple way to add a dummy tag? It's probably really easy, it's just that I don't know what to click on =p.

I'm not sure why hideTags isn't working on my CoD5 weapons, I've only tested it with the Thompson... If I can get the dummy tag working then I'll be able to customize the gun correctly for the PAP camo. I think I'll need to create a new model with the silver etching, but I should still be able to use the hideTags function. Thanks

Post Merge: May 13, 2013, 03:21:32 pm
I'm not sure what's wrong with my WAW install, but the hideTags is broken on the mp40 too. So technically, if you provided a weapon file that worked correctly on your system it would work incorrectly on mine. I wonder what other people have the same problem without knowing? I guess I'll stick to making custom xmodels since that's a fail safe way to make it work for everybody.
Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 03:52:24 pm by offthewall2112

Loading ...