Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Thompson's Groups
Thompson's Contact & Social Links
Hi all,

First post. First off, mods please forgive me if I posted in the wrong forum, tried my best to put this in an appropriate forum.

I'm having some difficulties installing WaW.

Specs:
Win 7, 64-bit
GTX 660
i5-3570K
8GB DDR3

So the first couple times around I would get stuck installing the game - doing some digging I found that the Microsoft Update was the culprit. I uninstalled that, and sure enough it appeared to work.

I just finished the installation process a few minutes ago.

... however, the problem I've run across now is that the .exe files are just literally not there. The kicker is that the Uninstall/Remove Program option shows that WaW is there, in all of its 13GB. I should note that, when I look in WaW directory, I'm guessing everything is in the folder ~ except for the .exe files.

This is killing me, because I really want to start playing custom zombies! Great YT channel guys! Keep up the great work.

Anyways, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Double Post Merge: February 24, 2015, 05:53:23 am
... for what it's worth (not sure if it will make a difference for my specific case), I have DX11.
Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:53:23 am by Thompson
broken avatar :(
The Voice in your Eyes
Date Registered: 26 June 2013
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
Breton boys do what Breton boys do.
Alerion's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
Close enough, but as it's a question it belongs to the "General Help" section, moved(:

May I ask which version of the game you have? Did you purchase it on Steam or do you have a disc?
The .exe files should be directly in the root directory, so if you didn't find them there it still didn't install correctly IF you have the disc version. I'm not sure if there will be an .exe on a steam-version without the moddingtools.
Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:29:13 pm by Alerion
Date Registered: 23 February 2015
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Thompson's Groups
Whoops, my bad.

I have the disk version - so I guess, v1.0?

But anyways, I decided to do uninstall and try again for a clean install. Got it now, and updated successfully to v1.7!

Since you mentioned Steam, I debated getting the Steam version, but I just wasn't sure how well that would work since, if I recollect correctly, you don't have any access to the game folder directory (ie: for custom zombie stuff).

The other question I have ~ I might try to make my own map (yes, I've read how painstakingly difficult it is lol) at some point. The patches that I went through, v1.1 - v1.7 ==> do those patches have the included updated mod tools? Or are mod tools updates files of their own?

Many thanks!
Date Registered: 21 September 2014
Last active: 3 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Let's all just light up a blunt, and make stuff.
AlecKeaneDUB's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
AlecKeaneDUB's Contact & Social LinksaleckeanedubAlecKeaneDUBAlecKeaneDUB
Whoops, my bad.

I have the disk version - so I guess, v1.0?

But anyways, I decided to do uninstall and try again for a clean install. Got it now, and updated successfully to v1.7!

Since you mentioned Steam, I debated getting the Steam version, but I just wasn't sure how well that would work since, if I recollect correctly, you don't have any access to the game folder directory (ie: for custom zombie stuff).

The other question I have ~ I might try to make my own map (yes, I've read how painstakingly difficult it is lol) at some point. The patches that I went through, v1.1 - v1.7 ==> do those patches have the included updated mod tools? Or are mod tools updates files of their own?

Many thanks!
Glad you got the game working (:

Now as to your other questions, buying the game off of steam still allows you to access the game files and you can still play any custom maps that you want, the only benefit, really, is that buying the game on steam saves you the time of downloading and installing the game updates, as it comes updated already. And now, to make a map, there are completely diffents updates you must install. They can be found in the UGX wiki, here is a link to the page which explains exactly how and what you need to start making your own map:
http://ugx-mods.com/wiki/index.php?title=Modtools_Installation_Guide

Good luck! :D
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Thompson's Groups
Good luck! :D
Thanks haha. I'll need it.

On the topic, (still learning a lot about custom zombies and associated websites), do you have a threads/videos tutorial that kinda goes over how to make a custom map.

Just by looking at some of these threads, I can tell coding is a very large chunk of it.
Date Registered: 17 January 2014
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If you want scripts / features made for you, then contact me by PM or email / skype etc
it will cost you tho so if you have no intention of reciprocating don't even waste my time ;)
Harry Bo21's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Harry Bo21's Contact & Social Links[email protected]HarryBo21HarryBo000
Theres a youtuber called "BlackJackJohnny" who did very indepth tutorials on how to map in radaint (radiant is the map editing software)

Id suggest him, its very thorough :)
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Thompson's Groups
Theres a youtuber called "BlackJackJohnny" who did very indepth tutorials on how to map in radaint (radiant is the map editing software)

Id suggest him, its very thorough :)
Will do; I'm all about the thoroughness!

Now I've been poking around the website and I saw on the home page a column of UGX mod tools (left hand side) ~ what are those used for?

Does UGX maps use radaint? And on that note, are all maps created done via radaint for that matter?

Also - another question about installation. One of my friends just ordered a copy of WaW ~ however he's running Windows 8. I've been looking over the web to see if there have been any installation/compatibility issues. So far I haven't really found anything particular, as compared to Windows 7.

Have you heard of any problems from Windows 8 users?

Many thanks!
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
I assume UGX maps, are just the ones that are in the "UGX Map manager"

All maps for COD 5 (and infact the others) are made in radiant

I run it on win 8 no issues, however one thing to try if you do have trouble is to navigate to the

ROOT/BIN

folder, and change compatibility mode on all the EXEs :)
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Thompson's Groups
I run it on win 8 no issues, however one thing to try if you do have trouble is to navigate to the

ROOT/BIN

folder, and change compatibility mode on all the EXEs :)
Forgive me, but do you mind expanding upon this? And also change the compatibility mode to what exactly?

I don't have any practical experience navigating Win 8 (I shudder at the thought of it); I've only used OS's up to Wind 7.
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
Repeat this step, for every exe that is in that folder :

Navigate to your "root" directory. Root directory is the game folder on your hard drive, so :

Steam :
c:\programfiles x86\steam\steamapps\common\call of duty 5 world at war\

Disc based version :
c:\programfiles x86\Activision\call of duty 5 world at war\

Once in there, if you have installed the mod tools, you will see a folder called "BIN"

open that folder

There are a number of EXE files in there. you can open them here, or some can be opened through "launcher.exe" - which is how most people open them (Things like asset manager, asset viewer etc)

Right click on the EXE, click properties

Select the "compatibility" tab

Set it to run in compatibility mode for windows xp. So service pack 3 (if available) or service pack 2

So yeah do that for all the "EXE" files in that folder, thats all :)

One thing ill point out though, your saying they are "not there" at all. Did you actually install the mod tools, or "just the game"? (patches are not part of the mod tools, but are also required)
Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:15:50 am by Harry Bo21
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Thompson's Groups
Ah ok; gotcha. Will give it a go; hopefully there wont be any hiccups. I'll let you know if I have any problems.

Ahhh compatibility mode ... brings me back to my Vista days lol.

Thanks again Harry.
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Thompson's Groups
Here's a question. So I already installed WaW on my desktop --> the one with the specs stated at the top.

I'm wondering if it's possible to use the same key (aka same online profile) on a different computer. I'd like to install it on my Macbook Pro (I dual booot, so PC isn't an issue). I'm just curious if there's some sort of data file I'd need to copy/paste on onto my laptop ~ if and when that's possible.

And on that note, how well would WaW run on my MacBook?

Specs:
4GB DDR3
it's some sort of Intel i5 (2.5 GHz)
w/ Intel HD Graphics 4000 (w/ 1 GB on board RAM)

Thanks again.
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
I think the second one will either fail to go online, or the first will be knocked offline

On a "steam" copy of the game, the second PC will prompt you that this is already in use on another computer
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Thompson's Groups
I think the second one will either fail to go online, or the first will be knocked offline

On a "steam" copy of the game, the second PC will prompt you that this is already in use on another computer
Darn. Okay, so the better question is ~ would it be possible to create zombie maps without an online capable copy of WaW?
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
Create? Sure

The actual game is not used when making your mod, only the tools and resources from the Mod tools themselves are. You only need the game to be able to play/test it

Loading ...