UGX-Mods Login

or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

Transferring mod tools to another computer?

broken avatar :(
Created 8 years ago
by chromastone10
Date Registered: 8 January 2014
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
Embers are the new lens flares
chromastone10's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
chromastone10's Contact & Social Linkschromastone10chromastone1chromastone10
So I tried transferring my mod tools to another computer, copied the waw folder onto a flash drive from my laptop to my desktop pc, but I had issues. When I tried to launch radiant it would crash, in fact, any of the programs would crash from launcher, so I downloaded the normal mod tools to get them working. Finally got those working but then I had issues with linker_pc crashing while compiling a map, got that working, but when I finally compiled a map I kept getting errors in scripts that I didnt have before and even when correcting that error (which was about achievements in waw so that shouldnt even effect the scripts as I was told) I would just get another error, comment that out, get another error, comment that out, get another error ect.

So my question is, whats the best way to transfer stuff over? I really just need like my scirpts, mods, sounds and models/anims stuff like that (which is like 80% of the tools lmao) I reinstalled everything from the begging to the basic mod tools, and still have everything copied on my flash drive.

Also another note, my laptop had windows 8.1 but my desktop has windows 7, not sure if that is important or not
Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:50:44 pm by chromastone10
Date Registered: 24 April 2013
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Mapper
whippytrout's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
whippytrout's Contact & Social LinksWhippyTroutWhippyTrout
I've done this same thing several times due to my several hard drives dying on me in the past. I've copied the entire Cod Waw folder from my steam library onto a flash drive then moved it into my other pc's steam library and it seemed to work fine. As for the tools like radiant and asset manager crashing I had to go into their properties and check the run them as administrator and Windows XP (service pack 3) checkbox and dropdown.

In my case that took a lot of time so a little faster way is to install a fresh new Cod Waw on your new PC, then install a fresh new Mod Tools. Then just copy over your files from your old Cod Waw such as your mods folder,  map_source, model_export, sound_assets, source_data, texture_assets, xanim_export, and most importantly the stuff in your raw folder. You can copy what you want, it kind of depends on what you have done in your raw. From my experience I always forget to copy something and wind up either having to remake it or try to find it on my flash drive. So this kind of the harder option where you may lose something you made and just forgot about. 

I've had luck with both options but If there is nothing wrong with your mod tools I prefer the first option of just copying the entire game and tools. It worked for me and I went from my Win 7 desktop to my Win 10 laptop with no problem besides the adding admin thing in properties.

I hope that helps,

Whippy
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
chromastone10's Groups
I've done this same thing several times due to my several hard drives dying on me in the past. I've copied the entire Cod Waw folder from my steam library onto a flash drive then moved it into my other pc's steam library and it seemed to work fine. As for the tools like radiant and asset manager crashing I had to go into their properties and check the run them as administrator and Windows XP (service pack 3) checkbox and dropdown.

In my case that took a lot of time so a little faster way is to install a fresh new Cod Waw on your new PC, then install a fresh new Mod Tools. Then just copy over your files from your old Cod Waw such as your mods folder,  map_source, model_export, sound_assets, source_data, texture_assets, xanim_export, and most importantly the stuff in your raw folder. You can copy what you want, it kind of depends on what you have done in your raw. From my experience I always forget to copy something and wind up either having to remake it or try to find it on my flash drive. So this kind of the harder option where you may lose something you made and just forgot about. 

I've had luck with both options but If there is nothing wrong with your mod tools I prefer the first option of just copying the entire game and tools. It worked for me and I went from my Win 7 desktop to my Win 10 laptop with no problem besides the adding admin thing in properties.

I hope that helps,

Whippy

ya I tried doing the setting as admin thing on all of them too before just doing a fresh restart :(
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
whippytrout's Groups
Hmmm, so your having trouble on your new computer that's running Windows 7? Thats kind of weird I've always hit problems with Win 8 and 10. So you said you installed new mod tools on you Win 7 computer and still had errors? Did you make a new test map to see if it ran without any problems?
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
chromastone10's Groups
Hmmm, so your having trouble on your new computer that's running Windows 7? Thats kind of weird I've always hit problems with Win 8 and 10. So you said you installed new mod tools on you Win 7 computer and still had errors? Did you make a new test map to see if it ran without any problems?

ya made a new map, it works and everything
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
whippytrout's Groups
ya made a new map, it works and everything

Ok that's good. From my experience I always had to made a new map using whatever script placer you want and name it what your previous map was called. For example when i moved my tools from my old hard drive to my new one I wanted to keep working on my Alcatraz map so I made a new map and called it Alcatraz just like my old one. Then I just moved my scripts, images, sounds, etc from my flashdrive into my newley created map. You can then replace the generated mod.csv and mapname.gsc with your old ones and then all your scripts should work.  ;)

You may be experiencing errors right now trying to get your previous maps working due to them referencing files that no longer exists maybe some zone_source file or something. (it could be anything)

So I've had to do this many times for my map but It seems to work for me.
OnionmanVere Bo21
Date Registered: 27 September 2013
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
ok
Signature
Aye mate you don't know me so y don't you shut tf up ok buddy :)

Scobalula's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Scobalula's Contact & Social Links
Hmm that's interesting, my WaW is on my external hard drive that gets constantly moved and worked on, on many PCs running 10, 8, and 7 with no issues.  :-\

Loading ...