Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
IHammY/'s Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
well im rather new to building pcs and stuff but i think some of you guys know alot about these things so i hope some of you can help me out a litte.
I wanted to buy me a sound card (not telling you why just jet but maybe youll get to see something i plan on doing with it later in time) So the only free slot in my pc for pci is one of those whit one short and one long section
(this isnt mine this is what looks similar googeling pci slot)
so.. first thing is:
are threre even names for all the different kinds of slots? (one long one small section, two small ones, and so on) and secound being:
would this specific card fit in the slot in the picture? http://www.amazon.de/interne-Soundkarte-Digital-Headphone-Profile/dp/B003ZXDOL6/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1374440480&sr=8-12&keywords=soundblaster

ps. already searched on google and wikipedia and didnt find anything
Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 07:46:38 pm by IHammY/
broken avatar :(
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 9 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
PCI-E(xpress) is a short PCI slot which is only about 1 inch long. This is the slot most typically used for soundcards these days and most motherboards have at least one. PCI is the original slot design which is what you have pictured. Most cards which use PCI are outdated and should not be used with a current-gen OS. I bought a soundcard which was a couple years old but had Win 7 support and it was total garbage (M-Audio Audiophile 24/96). Caused BSODs etc and there was no support available because PCI is outdated.

PCI-x16 is an elongated PCI slot for graphics cards.
Date Registered: 5 April 2013
Last active: 3 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
IHammY/'s Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
thanks for the help :)
so the pci x16 would be even longer or how would that look like?
also souds like i most likely wont find a sound card that would fit into my pc huh?
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
thanks for the help :)
so the pci x16 would be even longer or how would that look like?
also souds like i most likely wont find a sound card that would fit into my pc huh?
Take a pic of your motherboard or provide the model number and I'll tell you what slots you have. Yes, X16 is the longer kind and its only for graphics cards.
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
IHammY/'s Groups
there it is i think the pciex1_1 is free too but the graphics card is overlapping it  :-\  so the only free one would be the lowest the pci1 
btw sorry for the bad quality
Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:25:53 am by IHammY/
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
Alright looks like you have one PCI-E x16, two PCI-E, and one PCI - in that order.

You are correct, most newer graphics cards are double-wide and would block that first PCI-E slot, leaving you with one left. So basically you could buy any PCI soundcard, E or not, and still be able to fit it.

I still stick by what I said earlier, though: buy a PCI-E card which was released within the last year or two. I've had the best luck with Creative cards but I don't know what your specific application will be.
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
IHammY/'s Groups
im not sure if i already said it but one of the pcie´s already has my wlan card in it so jeah
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
im not sure if i already said it but one of the pcie´s already has my wlan card in it so jeah
You could switch to a USB-based wireless card or do the right thing by hardwiring your desktop to the network.
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
IHammY/'s Groups
i dont have any plungs and i doubt that a usb stick could give you 300mbps  :please:
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
i dont have any plungs and i doubt that a usb stick could give you 300mbps  :please:
There's no way in hell your wireless internet has 300mbps throughput, regardless of what your card supports lol. Buy a wireless access point if you want room for imaginary wireless bandwidth.
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
IHammY/'s Groups
after some searching i found this : http://www.amazon.de/TerraTec-SoundSystem-Aureon-5-1-PCI/dp/B00062IARM/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1374746981&sr=1-3&keywords=pci+soundkarte#productDescription

it hink im gonna buy one of these just to try it out just want to make sure its the right pci to fit in dat pc
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
after some searching i found this : http://www.amazon.de/TerraTec-SoundSystem-Aureon-5-1-PCI/dp/B00062IARM/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1374746981&sr=1-3&keywords=pci+soundkarte#productDescription

it hink im gonna buy one of these just to try it out just want to make sure its the right pci to fit in dat pc
There's no reason to not already be sure of what slots you have... the one you linked is a regular PCI card which will fit in the rightmost slot in your motherboard.
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
IHammY/'s Groups
just wanted to make sure :$

Loading ...