UGX-Mods Login

or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

Having trouble setting up Maya plug in...

HOT
broken avatar :(
Created 10 years ago
by BioAftermath
Date Registered: 8 July 2013
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
I like cheese.
BioAftermath's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
BioAftermath's Contact & Social LinksErneldBioAftermath
I found this xmodel/xanim plug in for Maya 2014 from the UGX forum: http://ugx-mods.com/wiki/index.php?title=Maya_2012-2014_Xmodel_and_Xanim_Export_Tool
I can view models that I ported from MW2, but not from the xmodel file, but the MAYA ASCII Files, or the MAYA Script File. I want to give animation a try.
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 9 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
The only thing that plugin allows you to do is export to the game. It has no importing function or viewmodel rigging function. If you want to convert xmodel files into .ma files, you have to use the right xmodel program depending on what game you are working with.

If you want to have the rigs automatically set up for you, you have to use Maya 8.5 with the official cod plugin.
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
I like cheese.
BioAftermath's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
The only thing that plugin allows you to do is export to the game. It has no importing function or viewmodel rigging function. If you want to convert xmodel files into .ma files, you have to use the right xmodel program depending on what game you are working with.

If you want to have the rigs automatically set up for you, you have to use Maya 8.5 with the official cod plugin.
I tried getting Maya 8.5 before, but I couldn't find any downloads to it. And when I opened the models with the files I could open, it seems the the rigs (joints) were already in place. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what I saw.
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
I tried getting Maya 8.5 before, but I couldn't find any downloads to it. And when I opened the models with the files I could open, it seems the the rigs (joints) were already in place. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what I saw.
rigs is not a synonym for joints. Rigging is a broad term to define any set of joints which have been assembled for the point of animation. I was saying that you need to place the viewmodels in a viewhands rig to animate them, and the official tool (and toms tool, both 8.5 only) have shortcuts for this.
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
I like cheese.
BioAftermath's Groups
rigs is not a synonym for joints. Rigging is a broad term to define any set of joints which have been assembled for the point of animation. I was saying that you need to place the viewmodels in a viewhands rig to animate them, and the official tool (and toms tool, both 8.5 only) have shortcuts for this.
I ported the weapons... I needed to port the viewmodels? I'm sorry if I got that wrong, it was the first time I ported anything.
[UGX] Founder
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
I ported the weapons... I needed to port the viewmodels? I'm sorry if I got that wrong, it was the first time I ported anything.
You said in the first post that you wanted to animate, so that's what I've been talking about. What is your actual question?
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
I like cheese.
BioAftermath's Groups
You said in the first post that you wanted to animate, so that's what I've been talking about. What is your actual question?
I do want to animate. But it seems that I need to get Maya 8.5 first, and that's were I ran into trouble last time. Also, I wanted to know if I was using the right type of model.
Former UGX Lead Asset Creator
Date Registered: 17 August 2012
Last active: 5 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Eh?
Signature

(Click to enter portfolio)
SajeOne's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
I do want to animate. But it seems that I need to get Maya 8.5 first, and that's were I ran into trouble last time. Also, I wanted to know if I was using the right type of model.
To animate any model you need them in a file format your chosen DCC application can read. As Treminaor said this plugin only deals with the exportation of models. Maya 8.5 is not required for this, you would need the same file type to use either anyway. You need to get your model into a format readable by maya. Once that's done you can set up your rig scene and begin to animate. After that process is done is where the plugin comes into play, for exporting the created assets to the game.
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
I like cheese.
BioAftermath's Groups
To animate any model you need them in a file format your chosen DCC application can read. As Treminaor said this plugin only deals with the exportation of models. Maya 8.5 is not required for this, you would need the same file type to use either anyway. You need to get your model into a format readable by maya. Once that's done you can set up your rig scene and begin to animate. After that process is done is where the plugin comes into play, for exporting the created assets to the game.
So I added this script into Maya 2014: http://ugx-mods.com/wiki/index.php?title=Maya_2012-2014_Xmodel_and_Xanim_Export_Tool
So when I open a folder with an exported model, I get 3 files, one a Maya ASCII File, a XMODEL_EXPORT File, and a Maya Script File. I can open the first and the third, but not the XMODEL_EXPORT File, as I showed in the video. There are joints there and I want to know if I can use this type of file to make an anim and be able to use it. Or do I need Maya 8.5 for that? Video: http://youtu.be/c9Lfu2nk2ac
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Eh?
SajeOne's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
So I added this script into Maya 2014: http://ugx-mods.com/wiki/index.php?title=Maya_2012-2014_Xmodel_and_Xanim_Export_Tool
So when I open a folder with an exported model, I get 3 files, one a Maya ASCII File, a XMODEL_EXPORT File, and a Maya Script File. I can open the first and the third, but not the XMODEL_EXPORT File, as I showed in the video. There are joints there and I want to know if I can use this type of file to make an anim and be able to use it. Or do I need Maya 8.5 for that? Video: http://youtu.be/c9Lfu2nk2ac
The xmodel export file is the file outputted after the conversion process. This is not needed for your instance. The .ma file is of course the actual model which you opened. The .mel file is what is called the "bind" file. When this file is imported to the already open scene it connects all the joints to the meshes, ensuring your weapon is properly rigged.
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
I like cheese.
BioAftermath's Groups
The xmodel export file is the file outputted after the conversion process. This is not needed for your instance. The .ma file is of course the actual model which you opened. The .mel file is what is called the "bind" file. When this file is imported to the already open scene it connects all the joints to the meshes, ensuring your weapon is properly rigged.
So, all of the weapons that I ported are already rigged? Or are you just saying that the bind file is the file that save the rigs? Or both?
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Eh?
SajeOne's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
So, all of the weapons that I ported are already rigged? Or are you just saying that the bind file is the file that save the rigs? Or both?
The .ma file contains both the meshes and the rig. That rig is not bound to the meshes, meaning the joints won't manipulate any of the meshes. To fix this the .mel "bind" file needs to be imported to the scene, it will bind all the joints to the correct meshes as they were in the game.
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
I like cheese.
BioAftermath's Groups
The .ma file contains both the meshes and the rig. That rig is not bound to the meshes, meaning the joints won't manipulate any of the meshes. To fix this the .mel "bind" file needs to be imported to the scene, it will bind all the joints to the correct meshes as they were in the game.
So if I import the Maya ASCII file of let's so the Famas, and then import the bind fe of the Famas, then I won't have to rig? And I could get into the animating right away?
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Eh?
SajeOne's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
So if I import the Maya ASCII file of let's so the Famas, and then import the bind fe of the Famas, then I won't have to rig? And I could get into the animating right away?
Yes that is correct.
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
I like cheese.
BioAftermath's Groups
Yes that is correct.
And (I hope I don't get this wrong) could I make the animation in Maya 2014 and never have to use Maya 8.5? Or is it a necessity?

Loading ...