UGX-Mods Login

or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

Album Review: Take A Look In The Mirror by Korn (2003)

broken avatar :(
Created 9 years ago
by zsftw115
Date Registered: 26 May 2013
Last active: 9 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
Modding WaW in 2023
Signature
I strongly advise ignoring any previous post I made as an edgy and cynical teenager
zsftw115's Groups
So this is something I want to start doing. Reviewing albums from various bands and other artists that I like. Originally I was gonna do this on YouTube but, let's face it, I suck at reviewing stuff orally.

This is how I'm gonna do the reviews. I will review each song separately, then I'll put my overall review at the end. I'll also be rating each song 1-10 on how much I liked it. Finally, I'll be suggesting whether or not I recommend you listen to it or not. Let's do this.

Album: Take A Look In The Mirror
Artist: Korn
Year: 2003
Producer(s): Korn/Jonathan Davis

I am a massive fan of Korn and I love all their work whether it's their classic raw and heavy material, or their latest modern material with some dubstep influences. Take A Look In The Mirror was released November 21, 2003 as a hope to recover from their unfortunately low sales from the release of Untouchables in 2002. The record received many mixed reviews from critics. Korn themselves even considered the album to be "the worst record they ever did" in a 2013 interview. But does that actually make this record their worst?

Track 1: Right Now
Spoiler: click to open...
To kick off the record we already hear the return of Fieldy's (the bassist) gritty sounding bass with Untouchables (2002) having a slight lack of it. The first single of the record describes having an absolute hatred towards someone to the point that you can't even look at them without them pissing you off. The main riff to the song is incredibly fitting with the theme of the song. Jonathan Davis' (vocalist) constant growling and screaming really adds the flavor to this song, adding the true feeling of hatred and anger. The lyrics are very in depth and descriptive for being the first track on the record, making it more than just a treat for someone with a lot of anger inside. I rate this track 8/10 as there are still little parts of the track that could have some improvment.

Track 2: Break Some Off
After the true hate-fest known as Right Now, we have a short two and a half minute long song that is more fast-paced than the previous track. I believe this track is about trying to cut some things in life that cause you to lose it off. I honestly don't have much to say about this track. This track uses screaming to it's advantage and admittedly overdoes it. Also uses the word "F***" a lot but there is another track that uses that word a hell of a lot more. The constant screaming does get a little crazy and does eventually get annoying. I'll have to give this track a 5/10. There is a lot of improving that this track needs and it almost feels unorganized at places. Probably my least favorite track from this album.

Track 3: Counting On Me
I'll say this right now, this track is incredible and left me speechless. Counting On Me lasts nearly 5 minutes and is definitely one of the high points on this album. This track explains not being able to leave someone that constantly tortures you, treats you like absolute dirt, and never has anything nice to say about you, even though you've always been there for them, and given them the most out of everyone in life. In shorter terms, being caught in an abusive relationship. This track is too perfect to describe in just a few words. The riff is catchy, the vocals are astounding, the chorus is dominating, and the bridge is perfect. This track does include screaming, but it's at its best in this track. It doesn't take up the whole song, it's limited to one portion of the song, and it fits the theme perfect. I'd have to rate this track 10/10 being the best track on the record.
Track 4: Here It Comes Again
Another one of the more faster paced tracks on this record, the track begins with a gritty intro using light guitars, cowbell (incoming memes), and introduces the song in a way that just hits you like a truck. The song pretty much describes dealing with feelings that are coming back to haunt you and trying to fight against them. Like Counting On Me, the track uses screams very well, but they aren't limited to one part in the song. Instead they are used in the chorus in a notably way similar to Break Some Off. But they are also used in the bridge which is similar to pretty much every track on the record. Again, there is not much to say about this track, the riffs aren't that catchy and the chorus isn't really memorable. But, the track really shines in the verses at least. 7/10 for this one.

Track 5: Deep Inside
This track immediately starts with bass and begins immediately. Like Break Some Off, the track is very short, being only 2 minutes and 45 seconds. The track describes hiding pain and misery inside and pretending to be okay around other people... so basically being in high school. This track doesn't really have that much to say about it, it's short and doesn't really feel memorable. Literally, just typing this right now, I can't really think of much to say about it. I will admit, it doesn't feel mixed up and annoying, and doesn't overuse screaming. 6/10

Track 6: Did My Time
Used to promote the 2003 movie, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Time, and originally written as a single after the release of Untouchables, you'd think it would've been one of the first tracks of the record. The track begins with nothing but a short riff in the beginning with small parts with all members coming in. Then the track really kicks off with a badass setup. There is so much going on in this song, it's unbelievable. Lead singer, Jonathan Davis described this song as being about doing everything you possibly could to find happiness and getting nothing out of it and just never getting a single break in life because a problem always comes up. This song is a metalhead's wet dream. It is grooving, heavy, and just powerful. The bridge of the song is where it really shines. It begins to calm down slowly, but before you know it, it just slams you dead in the face and is a headbanger's paradise. 10/10 speechless.

Track 7: Everything I've Known
After the powerhouse, Did My Time, we are introduced to this song that begins sounding like the beginning of the bridge to Did My Time. Quoting Jonathan Davis, "That's about when you're fighting with your girlfriend, and how when you've been together for so long, things can just get shitty." This song features a very gritty tone to it, with a slight ballad-like vibe. The pre-chorus is one of the most notable parts of the song, that fits its meaning. The song in its entirety is again one of the high points of the album. 9/10
Track 8: Play Me (feat. Nas)
Yes, you read that right, this track features the rapper Nas. A lot of people consider this to be one of the worst tracks Korn has ever made, and you can't really blame the people that think that. Nas feels useless to the song. His parts don't really contribute much to the track itself. Sure, some words relate to what the track is really about, but some just aren't necessary whatsoever to the song. The bridge to the song is one the high parts of the song. Jonathan Davis' vocals in this part are fantastic and set a decent tone, but then we go back to Nas for the rest of the song. What really annoys me about this song is that it has so much, if it weren't for Nas' nonsensical verses, then this track would probably have less hate. And Korn has featured a rapper in a couple of songs and it actually worked, so this track could've been better. But, this track receives a 5/10, so much unused potential.

Track 9: Alive
Possibly as a way to celebrate 10 years since their EP "Neidermeyer's Mind", Korn revived a track that was scrapped from their debut album. The original track sounded too similar to the final version of Need To from their debut album, which lead to it being scrapped. To keep it different, they added a new bridge, cut out some other parts and replaced them in a new way. The track is heavy as hell and is very moving. Another one of the high points of the record. 8/10.

Track 10: Let's Do This Now
Korn will never abandon the bagpipes, it just won't ever happen. This track will leave you wanting to beat the life out of everyone you hate. (Not promoting that but don't blame me if you do it) This song is one of the greatest off this album and does everything right. The screaming is used a lot, but is done PERFECTLY. Like other tracks on the album, it remains in the chorus and bridge, but it works, because pay attention to the lyrics. The lyrics in the chorus are the words you could only scream to someone you hate with all your heart. I have to give this track a perfect 10/10. It's just outstanding.

Track 11: I'm Done
This track begins with a damn well sounding intro, but to be completely honest, it's really one of the only real higher points of the song. The vocals don't really have that true feeling in it. Which is excessively shocking considering the fact that this album is centered around true anger. The bridge does have that real meaning in it, but that's all you'll get in this song. The instrumentals are pretty grooving too. The chorus honestly feels pretty out of place, but that's one of the only big issues of this song. 6/10

Track 12: Y'all Want A Single
The last single of the other 3 on the album. This song was used to completely attack the music business. The idea for this song was after people wanted another smash hit single like some of their famous works, and the band come up with the line "Y'all want a single? Say fuck that!". This song uses the word "F***" 89 times, way more than Break Some Off. Even though the song is really nothing but saying the F word, it's still a very good song. It doesn't feel out of place in parts and is well worth the listen. 8/10

Track 13: When Will This End/One
Closing out the album, we have a song that contradicts it's title. (Bad joke, don't badger me about it) The song features all elements of the entire record, except rap of course, and brings it all into one. The vocals are very well done and set a nice dark tone to the song. The lyrics describe wanting all the pain and suffering to just be over with because the person is just to the point to where they can't take it anymore. The song uses screams to it's advantage and does it excessively well. Pacing doesn't seem to differ at all in this song, it just has a constant flow and it makes it one of the better songs on the album. 8/10

As tradition, Korn always puts a hidden track at the end of the album after a few minutes of silence, whether it's a special song, or just a straight up random recording. If you're patient enough, or just skip further in the song, a cover of Metallica's "One" from a live performance at MTV's Metallica Icon will play. All I have to say about that is, it doesn't feature the iconic guitar solo in the original song, but it still nearly dominates Metallica. Key word: nearly. 7/10

Overall, I have to say this album was a nice return to Korn's raw and heavy sound in their first two albums. The album still has it's low points, but has an amazing amount of high points that are nearly unforgettable. Unfortunately, the band themselves still consider this to be their worst record to date. But I see it as a true masterpiece.

I rate this album 8/10.

Extra thoughts: Unless you are completely demented in the head and don't mind seeing the most disgusting shit ever, STAY AWAY from the official music video for Right Now.

Playlist for the album including music videos (excluding Everything I've Known):
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDgiaVwE3PvFXfqDVx25H5jPKXWrjkAdH

Full explicit album (video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDTHwoZ4EZ0

If you made it to this point, thank you. Feel free to suggest me anything else, and I'll probably do it.

Loading ...