UGX-Mods

Call of Duty 5: World at War => Help Desk => Topic started by: Eradicate on July 18, 2015, 08:36:18 am

Title: Is it possible to disable dog rounds on other people's maps?
Post by: Eradicate on July 18, 2015, 08:36:18 am
Sorry if this is an obvious question with an obvious answer, I'm not really a mapper or modder, just playing some maps with friends and we were wondering if it was possible to disable dog rounds.
Title: Re: Is it possible to disable dog rounds on other people's maps?
Post by: HitmanVere on July 20, 2015, 10:21:41 pm
Its possible, but if mapper decided to leave the dogs on the map, I suggest not to go through their mod to change the map, if mapper hasnt given permission to do so
Post by: Eradicate on July 20, 2015, 10:49:44 pm
Is there a tutorial or information somewhere regarding how I would achieve this?
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 21, 2015, 02:44:05 am
sure, why dont you change the guns, models and map too  :troll:
Post by: Eradicate on July 21, 2015, 02:47:03 am
My friends and I just don't really enjoy dog rounds that much.  Is it that ridiculous to want to change them out?  I understand that it might be part of a mapper's vision and whatnot, but it's all preference in the end.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 21, 2015, 03:53:08 am
personally, I think it is yea

otherwise, why download our maps? Just make your own if your going to tear our hard work apart coz it doesnt meet your "standards"

If we added dogs, then that means, for whatever reason, we wanted our map to have dogs. Simple. Bust Treyarchs stuff up all you want, but i think IWD-diving to change someone elses stuff is frankly an "insult" to our work...
Post by: Eradicate on July 21, 2015, 03:58:38 am
How does it affect you if I change a map to not have dog rounds for my own personal enjoyment?  It's not as if I'm publishing it, it's for my own personal use.
Post by: DidUknowiPwn on July 21, 2015, 04:43:15 am
I will forever hate the mentality that people have here about their maps/mods.

Let users play it their own way, mods are meant to be flexible not strict rules (like how it is normally, so you're basically the same as them then).

Open the mod with 7zip go to maps\mapname.gsc level.DLC3.useHellHounds = true;  set to false and evel.DLC3.useMixedRounds = true; to false as well.

Pro-Tip: You don't own any content created in the mod tools, they're all content owned by Activision so asking the modders is irrelevant and you should asking Activision instead you're modifying their content!
Post by: Eradicate on July 21, 2015, 04:46:11 am
Thank you very much.  I managed to decompile mod.ff earlier and find the line, but I was having trouble recompiling it.  This seems much easier.  I appreciate your help and mentality :)
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 21, 2015, 04:51:39 am
My friends and I
This is effectively - publishing someone elses work if your giving them the version you change - which then discredits the mapper if your changes cause issues ( Like dogs being "required" for something that your just unaware of )

Its "our" personal creation made the way "we" wanted to make it. If you dont like the way "we" made "our" mod then in my opinion you should make your own and not touch ours. You wouldnt recolour the mona lisa, you wouldnt re-write the ending to a book to suite your tastes, this is "our creative content", not "any old content made by some unspecified party somewhere"

as I said, my "personal opinion" - to which i am entitled to one, if you disagree thats fine and dandy
Post by: DarkWhiss on July 21, 2015, 04:54:42 am
I will forever hate the mentality that people have here about their maps/mods.

Let users play it their own way, mods are meant to be flexible not strict rules (like how it is normally, so you're basically the same as them then).

Open the mod with 7zip go to maps\mapname.gsc level.DLC3.useHellHounds = true;  set to false and evel.DLC3.useMixedRounds = true; to false as well.

Pro-Tip: You don't own any content created in the mod tools, they're all content owned by Activision so asking the modders is irrelevant and you should asking Activision instead you're modifying their content!

Agree with you completely.

This even makes me consider about having an option to disable/enable bosses within the menu of the map.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 21, 2015, 04:55:44 am
This even makes me consider about having an option to disable/enable bosses within the menu of the game.

We could give you that option, and if we chose not to, should be "our" decision for "our" work
Post by: Eradicate on July 21, 2015, 04:57:07 am
Its "our" personal creation made the way "we" wanted to make it. If you dont like the way "we" made "our" mod then in my opinion you should make your own and not touch ours. You wouldnt recolour the mona lisa, you wouldnt re-write the ending to a book to suite your tastes, this is "our creative content", not "any old content made by some unspecified party somewhere"

as I said, my "personal opinion" - to which i am entitled to one, if you disagree thats fine and dandy

Actually, plenty of people do those things.  I can open the Mona Lisa in Photoshop right now if you'd like.
Post by: DarkWhiss on July 21, 2015, 05:00:47 am
We could give you that option, and if we chose not to, should be "our" decision for "our" work
As a mapper my self, it may take away from the true experience of the map but i believe it is about giving the player options to however they enjoy playing.

Also "Our Work" is actually not ours according to the Activision EULA for the mod tools.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 21, 2015, 05:02:52 am
activision does  NOT own the scripts that I wrote actually - I could easily remove any references to cod stuff from my work

This is a pointless debate anyway, your all just gonna ignore my point on it anyway so Ill just be on my way

I "also" hate the mentality of the way people think they can do what ever they please with work some of us have spent years on trying to make "1" experience, not a "starter pack"

but whatever, im out...
Post by: DidUknowiPwn on July 21, 2015, 05:06:16 am
activision does  NOT own the scripts that I wrote actually

This is a pointless debate anyway, your all just gonna ignore my point on it anyway so Ill just be on my way

I "also" hate the mentality of the way people think they can do what ever they please with work some of us have spent years on trying to make "1" experience, not a "starter pack"

but whatever, im out...

That's for original file but when compiled through linker_pc or archived by 7zip, the file inside, it doesn't belong to you anymore.

Then again there's probably some bullshit EULA/TOS in Sublime/UE that we don't know about it  :-\

Post by: DarkWhiss on July 21, 2015, 05:08:31 am
activision does  NOT own the scripts that I wrote actually - I could easily remove any references to cod stuff from my work

but whatever, im out...

Changing a line of code doesn't take away years spent on a boss...

In the end it's just a opinion you're not willing to listen reason to.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 21, 2015, 05:08:48 am
My work, is my work. A copy of that work - is still my work

but anyway, like i said, im done

Changing a line of code doesn't take away years spent on a boss...

In the end it's just a opinion you're not willing to listen reason to.

I wrote them from scratch buddy, try again...

and your just as much ignoring my stance on this so whatever...
Post by: DarkWhiss on July 21, 2015, 05:24:10 am
My work, is my work. A copy of that work - is still my work

but anyway, like i said, im done

I wrote them from scratch buddy, try again...

and your just as much ignoring my stance on this so whatever...
I totally see your point, nobody is wrong here.

I was comparing the two opinions. I would know, i have spent 3 years on my map and i'm still not happy with it. So it would bother me if somebody tampered with it but in the end it's about giving the player the best experience they want to play it. Am i doing something wrong?

Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 21, 2015, 05:29:25 am
I totally see your point, nobody is wrong here.

I was comparing the two opinions. I would know, i have spent 3 years on my map and i'm still not happy with it. So it would bother me if somebody tampered with it but in the end it's about giving the player the best experience they want to play it. Am i doing something wrong?
nope, you can do what you like with "your work"

however i would not like to see "my work" that i pour my heart and soul into changed, and probably redistributed on the internet

if your cool with that, then thats up to you, i however make things that i want to be customizable - customizable    and things i dont want touched, i dont give you the ability to touch
Post by: DarkWhiss on July 21, 2015, 05:33:30 am

however i would not like to see "my work" that i pour my heart and soul into changed, and probably redistributed on the internet

if your cool with that, then thats up to you, i however make things that i want to be customizable - customizable    and things i dont want touched, i dont give you the ability to touch

I'm sorry but you don't know what the definition of mod is then.
Post by: DidUknowiPwn on July 21, 2015, 05:35:52 am

You should start VMP'ing your scripts   :troll:
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 21, 2015, 05:36:13 am
I'm sorry but you don't know what the definition of mod is then.
lol how typical, insult my intelligence because I feel differently...
Post by: DarkWhiss on July 21, 2015, 05:39:55 am
lol how typical, insult my intelligence because I feel differently...
modding is modifying. So what you said about don't change anything defeats the whole purpose of modding.  ::)
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 21, 2015, 05:41:30 am
funny, tom didnt release the lime and lemon tools for cod 5 why again?

just agree to disagree, no need for the insulting tone and degrading comments coz you dont agree and are clearly totally ignoring the fact im just saying, i dont think its fair to change someone elses work without permission ESPECIALLY if your handing it out to your friends - who could then hand it to their friends etc etc until they bust it up so bad the ORIGINAL mapper gets a rep coz they dont know thats not how THE ORIGINAL mapper made it, or worse, lost credit/ownership alltogether, end of debate

Post by: SoulTaker on July 21, 2015, 05:47:38 am
I'll admit I've sometimes gone through some maps and change the FOV to 85 on it because the lack of a FOV slider (65 looks so awful when you're right next to a monitor) and the fact that binding the keys to cg_fov 85 would never work for me.  :troll:
Thank god though that FOV sliders are becoming a thing for most maps now though cause it was a pain in the ass to do it, and the fact I felt a little guilty.
:P
Post by: DidUknowiPwn on July 21, 2015, 05:51:46 am

just agree to disagree, no need for the insulting tone and degrading comments coz you dont agree and are clearly totally ignoring the fact im just saying, i dont think its fair to change someone elses work without permission ESPECIALLY if your handing it out to your friends - who could then hand it to their friends etc etc until they bust it up so bad the ORIGINAL mapper gets a rep coz they dont know thats not how THE ORIGINAL mapper made it, or worse, lost credit/ownership alltogether, end of debate

The reason is because he assumed people would try and export non-released game anims from other people's maps :|

E: Soul I never need UI or script I got T4M which takes care of that  :accepted:
Post by: johndoe on July 21, 2015, 02:27:10 pm
by using the mod tools you're considered you read and accepted the terms written in the eula which means you don't have any rights of your work once it's compiled wether you've read the eula or not. so it's kinda pointless to explain why you don't want people to change things in your maps.
Post by: steviewonder87 on July 21, 2015, 02:36:19 pm
Why are people bringing up the Activision TOS like that's relevant somehow? No-one is saying it's illegal to modify someone's map ::) It's just a simple matter of respect for people who decided to take a shitload of time making something for you to play for free.
Post by: chromastone10 on July 21, 2015, 02:46:30 pm
Why are people bringing up the Activision TOS like that's relevant somehow? No-one is saying it's illegal to modify someone's map ::) It's just a simple matter of respect for people who decided to take a shitload of time making something for you to play for free.

not to mention depending on what you change could result in a ton of coop errors, or maybe no errors, but since your hosting there wont be dogs, but then one of your friends hosts or plays solo and dogs are randomly there out of nowhere the they will be extremely confused, think the mod is broken, ect.
Post by: MakeCents on July 21, 2015, 03:12:11 pm
I'm a little confused by this whole conversation. I thought it was an unsaid rule we didn't give out modder info to non modders, other than friends obviuosly? If you want it different, ask the modder/mapper that made it, or learn yourself.

Well, hopefully this opens the OP's interest in modding maybe, and maybe they start making their own maps? At least some good would come from this. But the 1000's of others that read this, not sure about them. But I guess that goes back to the debate of the tools that make it easier to cheat as well. And I guess that is up to preference.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care either way, and I am not taking any sides. I just usually try to give info to educate, not give them the answers.
Post by: HitmanVere on July 21, 2015, 03:29:59 pm
I think we need to create new General Discussion topic, as I would love to take more part in this and not just discussion about it in someones help topic
Post by: DidUknowiPwn on July 21, 2015, 03:30:18 pm
I'd rather prefer it to end.
Post by: MakeCents on July 21, 2015, 03:33:25 pm
Its possible, but if mapper decided to leave the dogs on the map, I suggest not to go through their mod to change the map, if mapper hasnt given permission to do so

I agree, for educational purposes that is. Call it the ethics of modding, if you will...? Or let it die. We can each assume our own opinions again.  :D

(not this topic so much as in general)
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 22, 2015, 11:35:10 am
This was a much better way of saying that the alternative is a bit of an "insult"

not to mention depending on what you change could result in a ton of coop errors, or maybe no errors, but since your hosting there wont be dogs, but then one of your friends hosts or plays solo and dogs are randomly there out of nowhere the they will be extremely confused, think the mod is broken, ect.
THIS was the point i was trying to make clear

If someone gives you my map, but theyve changed it and ruined it, what are you gonna say the next time you see a map from "Harry Bo21" eh? And honestly who isnt a YouTube try hard these days, so count a million more in there...

How does it affect you if I change a map to not have dog rounds for my own personal enjoyment?

My friends and I just don't really enjoy dog rounds that much.

cut the dogs on my map, you break Electric Cherry and the Thundergun...
Post by: DidUknowiPwn on July 23, 2015, 03:48:15 am
cut the dogs on my map, you break Electric Cherry and the Thundergun...
That's just terrible coding.
Post by: Rorke on July 23, 2015, 05:15:12 am

you sir have hit the nail on the head to do with a lot of problems on these custom zombies sites main ones being ugx and ZM. but unfrtunatly we cannot do anything about this but you sir deserve a +1
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 23, 2015, 05:15:41 am
That's just terrible coding.
to be fair? your not wrong lol
Post by: daedra descent on July 23, 2015, 05:35:18 am
To actually answer the OP's question: Yes you can.

However to do it you need:
-winrar(or something else that can open an IWD)
-a copy of the map's main GSC file(<mapname>.gsc

Most people just put the main script file in the <mapename>.iwd file. Look in maps within the IWD to find it(if they put it there).

To disable dogs, just search and change:

Code Snippet
Plaintext
level.DLC3.useHellHounds = true;

and

Code Snippet
Plaintext
level.DLC3.useMixedRounds = true;

to:

Code Snippet
Plaintext
level.DLC3.useHellHounds = false;

and

Code Snippet
Plaintext
level.DLC3.useMixedRounds = false;

Save the script and see if it worked(it should).

Edit: Just use this: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,7627.msg82728/topicseen.html#new (http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,7627.msg82728/topicseen.html#new)
Post by: ShotgunRagtime on July 23, 2015, 05:58:12 am
The whole "morality" argument is completely moot.

Look at nearly every custom map released nowadays. Very few of them run stock WAW map features.

They are all heavily edited interpretations of Treyarch's original version of zombies, with completely new weapons, perks, and gamemodes.

So going off of the logic that altering someone's creation is an "insult" to them, most mappers have apparently been ruthlessly insulting and spitting on Treyarch's work with every new map release. But I guess it's only an insult if a mapper did the work, not if a 100+ man studio did the work?

The more valid point to get from this conversation: if you alter a modded map, you WILL most likely break it. Simple as.

Which is why it's NOT a recommended thing to do, especially if you won't realize that it was your tinkering that broke the map and assume it was the creator's fault.
Post by: DidUknowiPwn on July 23, 2015, 06:40:43 am
Can someone just close this topic it's become a full-blown filibuster.
Also OP's question was answered already.
Post by: DeletedUser on July 23, 2015, 06:52:10 am
now i feel kinda on the fence about this one.

as i am a self proclaimed mapper and i haven't released a map yet. i can't really relate.
but the mod tools were given to us by treyarch right? they gave them to us so that we can enact our imaginations and create maps that they didn't. as treyarch is on a you do what we say or we don't pay you contract with activision and have a time limit to make their map packs. they really don't have much of a say in the process. so they made the mod tools so that we as the community who don't have those contracts can.

the mod tools are basically a sand box. the quake engine is the wooden/plastic barriers that hold the sand inside and cod waw is the sand. the sand is open to anyone to play with and the mod tools are the buckets, shovels, rakes, etc. that we use to sculpt the sand into whatever our imagination comes up with. they are open to the public. now if i made a really awesome sandcastle and someone came along and said "hey this sandcastle would be better if you did this" and changed/altered my sandcastle to look like what they believe was better i would be pissed. especially if by changing my sandcastle made it crumble and fall apart! now all of the people around see this crumble broken sandcastle and think wow thats really bad. and believe that you are just bad at making sandcastles. but they don't know that the reason it's like that is because, some douchebag came along and changed it. but on the other hand what if the change the guy did made it better. that would be cool but then that guy goes around tell everyone that he made this awesome sandcastle. now everyone thinks that, he is the one that made it. and you get a little bit of credit from him when he says that you helped make it.

lets look at this from another perspective say minecraft. you build this awesome house that youve been making for like three years right. so you turn it into a survival minigame map. somebody gets into your minigame maps core files makes a copy of it and alters it to their liking and then releases the map elsewhere. but in their changing they accidentaly create a game breaking bug. now people come along and find this minigame and think wow this is stupid and buggy and tell other people that this minigame is stupid and doesn't work so now people think that this minigame is the original map. and now the original creator is losing players because the map wasn't what some guy felt was the perfect minigame.

as i said before i'm on the fence about this. this is a touchy topic. whatever side you are on just remember that these tools were a gift to us and have since been taken away in other games. thank you and have a nice day ELYKSON OUT :)
Post by: smasher248 on July 24, 2015, 04:55:19 pm
now i feel kinda on the fence about this one.

as i am a self proclaimed mapper and i haven't released a map yet. i can't really relate.
but the mod tools were given to us by treyarch right? they gave them to us so that we can enact our imaginations and create maps that they didn't. as treyarch is on a you do what we say or we don't pay you contract with activision and have a time limit to make their map packs. they really don't have much of a say in the process. so they made the mod tools so that we as the community who don't have those contracts can.

the mod tools are basically a sand box. the quake engine is the wooden/plastic barriers that hold the sand inside and cod waw is the sand. the sand is open to anyone to play with and the mod tools are the buckets, shovels, rakes, etc. that we use to sculpt the sand into whatever our imagination comes up with. they are open to the public. now if i made a really awesome sandcastle and someone came along and said "hey this sandcastle would be better if you did this" and changed/altered my sandcastle to look like what they believe was better i would be pissed. especially if by changing my sandcastle made it crumble and fall apart! now all of the people around see this crumble broken sandcastle and think wow thats really bad. and believe that you are just bad at making sandcastles. but they don't know that the reason it's like that is because, some douchebag came along and changed it. but on the other hand what if the change the guy did made it better. that would be cool but then that guy goes around tell everyone that he made this awesome sandcastle. now everyone thinks that, he is the one that made it. and you get a little bit of credit from him when he says that you helped make it.

lets look at this from another perspective say minecraft. you build this awesome house that youve been making for like three years right. so you turn it into a survival minigame map. somebody gets into your minigame maps core files makes a copy of it and alters it to their liking and then releases the map elsewhere. but in their changing they accidentaly create a game breaking bug. now people come along and find this minigame and think wow this is stupid and buggy and tell other people that this minigame is stupid and doesn't work so now people think that this minigame is the original map. and now the original creator is losing players because the map wasn't what some guy felt was the perfect minigame.

as i said before i'm on the fence about this. this is a touchy topic. whatever side you are on just remember that these tools were a gift to us and have since been taken away in other games. thank you and have a nice day ELYKSON OUT :)

+1 well said
Post by: steviewonder87 on July 24, 2015, 05:04:45 pm
The whole "morality" argument is completely moot.

Look at nearly every custom map released nowadays. Very few of them run stock WAW map features.

They are all heavily edited interpretations of Treyarch's original version of zombies, with completely new weapons, perks, and gamemodes.

So going off of the logic that altering someone's creation is an "insult" to them, most mappers have apparently been ruthlessly insulting and spitting on Treyarch's work with every new map release. But I guess it's only an insult if a mapper did the work, not if a 100+ man studio did the work?

The more valid point to get from this conversation: if you alter a modded map, you WILL most likely break it. Simple as.

Which is why it's NOT a recommended thing to do, especially if you won't realize that it was your tinkering that broke the map and assume it was the creator's fault.
What are you talking about? Treyarch gave us mod tools with the express purpose of using them to create whatever the hell we want with them.

When people release their maps on here they don't do so with the idea that people are free to mangle and modify whatever they wish to suit their individual needs, they do so to share the work they have spent ages creating and for people to experience a map they wanted to make or how they invisioned it. Otherwise why would people make maps in the first place? But like I said, feel free to modify whatever you like, if you don't like dogs - remove them, guns too weak - buff them, but figure out how to do it yourself.

Edit: also why are people still posting in here? (myself included) there's an off-topic thread for this already.