UGX-Mods

Everything Else => Computer Tech => Topic started by: HitmanVere on June 24, 2015, 09:54:16 am

Title: Problem with laptop screen
Post by: HitmanVere on June 24, 2015, 09:54:16 am
Im running on ASUS laptop since like 2012, I think and Im getting this flickering on my screen, where it goes completely black and back like in flickering motion. I sometimes get this 2 days in a row and sometimes it doesnt happen for weeks. Now Im getting it again, so I thought I would ask you guys about it. Dont want to get new PC/laptop, so that solution is out  :-\
Title: Re: Problem with laptop screen
Post by: daedra descent on June 24, 2015, 11:11:20 am
First thing to try when having display related issues is reinstalling GPU drivers, provided the laptops doesn't use an AMD APU.

Otherwise you could try contacting your OEM and seeing about sending it for repairs. If its a real cheap laptop though i would just salvage the parts and toss the damn thing... but thats just me.
Post by: Ramiabdh on June 24, 2015, 11:13:09 am
Maybe I experienced such thing. Did you by accident smash the laptop somewhere or open the screen too much. Perhaps it's related to hardware issue, so I think the connections have been altered or something during such accidents.

Edit: I also remember that I suffered from such issue each time I played a specific game on the pc, so I went to the Computer shops, and had them replace my video card.
Post by: Andy Whelan on June 24, 2015, 11:35:17 am
I know your pain. I have a Acer TravelMate or some shit like that and it happens on the daily.
Post by: HitmanVere on June 24, 2015, 11:48:51 am
First thing to try when having display related issues is reinstalling GPU drivers, provided the laptops doesn't use an AMD APU.

Otherwise you could try contacting your OEM and seeing about sending it for repairs. If its a real cheap laptop though i would just salvage the parts and toss the damn thing... but thats just me.

Nvidia shit for days, lol. Dont think AMD is used at all. Laptop cost 900e for me and I could ask where I got the thing

Maybe I experienced such thing. Did you by accident smash the laptop somewhere or open the screen too much. Perhaps it's related to hardware issue, so I think the connections have been altered or something during such accidents.

Edit: I also remember that I suffered from such issue each time I played a specific game on the pc, so I went to the Computer shops, and had them replace my video card.

Havent smashed it, but I always keep it open, cos I dont take it everywhere with me. So it just sits at my desk, screen open all the time.

I know your pain. I have a Acer TravelMate or some shit like that and it happens on the daily.

lal
Post by: Andy Whelan on June 24, 2015, 12:05:19 pm
I went to my schools IT to get it fixed. They had it for 4 days and then I got it back and all they did was change my screen without fixing the flickering and I was so fucking pissed. I haven't taken it back, I am on school holidays so I have to put up with it for 3 weeks  :please: It is something to do with the screens wires but I don't know.
Post by: Scobalula on June 24, 2015, 12:14:20 pm
You said you leave it in the one spot, never closed/laptop screen is never closed? So this happens when the entire laptop is not even moved in any form? Then I doubt it's a hardware issue.

In relation to what DD said, try re-installing the GPU drivers, remove them, try it without the drivers maybe for an hour or 2  (you probably won't be able to do any GPU intensive work), then try install the latest ones from NVIDIA's website.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/scan.aspx?lang=en-us (http://www.nvidia.com/download/scan.aspx?lang=en-us)

Double Post Merge: June 24, 2015, 12:15:48 pm
I went to my schools IT to get it fixed. They had it for 4 days and then I got it back and all they did was change my screen without fixing the flickering and I was so fucking pissed. I haven't taken it back, I am on school holidays so I have to put up with it for 3 weeks  :please: It is something to do with the screens wires but I don't know.

School computer teachers are about as educated in IT as that 100 year old man that lives down the road.  :please:
Post by: HitmanVere on June 25, 2015, 12:22:24 pm
Well, I updated Intel HD driver and installed newest Nvidia driver. I went on and turned Vertical sync on from the driver. Ran CCleaner fully, so there is nothing and screen still flickers  :( And its not wires, since I can move screen around and flickering wont happen
Post by: Ramiabdh on June 25, 2015, 01:37:07 pm
It can't be helped but not think about the video card. Tell me how old is your laptop, and/or how heavily do you use it?
Post by: HitmanVere on June 25, 2015, 01:39:13 pm
It can't be helped but not think about the video card. Tell me how old is your laptop, and/or how heavily do you use it?

More than few years, I think either from 2011 or from 2012. And as you know, in heavy use :please:
Post by: e0894ed4 on June 25, 2015, 03:05:47 pm
# Could be a virus, try to boot your laptop with a live dvd OS of some sort. See if it's happening again.
# "Lower and raise the laptop screen repeatedly to determine if the flicker is related to movement."
# Could be the screen cable losing its grip or damaged.
# Try to plug an external monitor this should reveal whether screen or gpu is causing the problem.

2011-12 laptop screen itself is not meant to die yet even under excessive usage.
Post by: HitmanVere on June 26, 2015, 05:28:31 pm
I had done the moving screen thing and that didnt do anything. Now I attached external monitor and I was suprised on one thing: flickering only happens on screen, that I set to be number 1. If I set external to be 1, flickering is on that one and vice versa
Post by: Harry Bo21 on June 26, 2015, 09:04:35 pm
yea sounds like your GPU has gone faulty to me

Laptops are prone to this due to their poor ventilation and design, even if it "has" been left on a desk for years

Could prob get it fixed, but if it involves replacing the GPU id just get a new laptop
Post by: e0894ed4 on June 27, 2015, 04:38:54 am
yea sounds like your GPU has gone faulty to me

Laptops are prone to this due to their poor ventilation and design, even if it "has" been left on a desk for years

Could prob get it fixed, but if it involves replacing the GPU id just get a new laptop
This.
Post by: HitmanVere on July 05, 2015, 02:26:56 pm
Well, I disabled both display drivers to test and flickering is reduced :poker: But if I put either one back on, flickering happens again. Still a GPU problem, since flickering still happens, if I dont have it on?

Edit: Flickering happens, even though both drivers are disabled...
Post by: MechromancerX on July 05, 2015, 05:35:26 pm
Have you tried to change the screen refresh rate? It is normally done by right clicking on your screen, (graphic) properties -> monitor and change it. My laptop only supports 60p Hz but if you can choose a higher refresh rate, it normally reduces the flickering.
Post by: HitmanVere on July 05, 2015, 06:16:51 pm
Have you tried to change the screen refresh rate? It is normally done by right clicking on your screen, (graphic) properties -> monitor and change it. My laptop only supports 60p Hz but if you can choose a higher refresh rate, it normally reduces the flickering.

Can only be 60, always been like that
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 06, 2015, 10:00:05 pm
it really sounds like some kind of mechanical fault to me, rather than any setting that may or may not have been changed, still thinking GPU
Post by: Scobalula on July 06, 2015, 10:55:53 pm
I'm with Harry, really sounding like a GPU issue if all other methods haven't worked, doesn't the Intel CPU not have built-in Intel HD Graphics? Have you tried using that instead of the NVIDIA one?
Post by: HitmanVere on July 07, 2015, 08:59:13 am
I'm with Harry, really sounding like a GPU issue if all other methods haven't worked, doesn't the Intel CPU not have built-in Intel HD Graphics? Have you tried using that instead of the NVIDIA one?

Its using both of them. As I said earlier, even having disabled both, flickering still happens
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 07, 2015, 08:04:57 pm
how do you mean "using both of them", shouldnt even be possible? lol
Post by: HitmanVere on July 07, 2015, 08:53:57 pm
how do you mean "using both of them", shouldnt even be possible? lol

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FUW4AY2q.png&hash=9639ce11ac0871f74e98913ed79450f34c17ff4a)

Not sure, if Im doing it right, but I can disable both :D
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 07, 2015, 10:16:58 pm
(http://i.imgur.com/UW4AY2q.png)

Not sure, if Im doing it right, but I can disable both :D
should only be able to use one at a time, and only change in the BIOS
Post by: HitmanVere on July 07, 2015, 11:13:23 pm
should only be able to use one at a time, and only change in the BIOS

Yeah, RDV was saying that in Skype. Flickering has not happened at all today, so when it happens again, I will try this