UGX-Mods

Everything Else => Computer Tech => Topic started by: daedra descent on January 21, 2015, 10:18:34 pm

Title: Windows 10 is free!*
Post by: daedra descent on January 21, 2015, 10:18:34 pm
Its official, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for all Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 computers for a year after its release. Obvious exception is if your computer has outdated hardware/software.

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html)

Apparently Microsoft hasn't decided what to do after that year is up so its still possible that they are going to charge for the upgrade, but in all honesty i don't see them charging anything considering MOST people will just upgrade while its free, so they won't be making much off of it anyway.

While i'm extremely excited for Windows 10, i'm also still a bit nervous since once you upgrade, your stuck with Windows 10 which i may or may not actually like.

So, what is everyone else's take on Windows 10?
Title: Re: Windows 10 is free!*
Post by: MechromancerX on January 21, 2015, 10:43:02 pm
Well, i might consider upgrading my windows 95 to 98 but i'm not sure yet, so i'm definately gonna wait a while until stepping over to windows 10 (may take a few years (+-23)).
Post by: sevengpluke on January 21, 2015, 10:50:16 pm
Its official, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for all Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 computers for a year after its release. Obvious exception is if your computer has outdated hardware/software.

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html)

Apparently Microsoft hasn't decided what to do after that year is up so its still possible that they are going to charge for the upgrade, but in all honesty i don't see them charging anything considering MOST people will just upgrade while its free, so they won't be making much off of it anyway.

While i'm extremely excited for Windows 10, i'm also still a bit nervous since once you upgrade, your stuck with Windows 10 which i may or may not actually like.

So, what is everyone else's take on Windows 10?

Windows 10 seems like an great improvement over windows 8. I may switch from win7 to windows 10 9 months after release.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on January 22, 2015, 05:52:54 am
they did this, or stupidly cheap upgrades for EVERY windows release so far btw...
Post by: daedra descent on January 22, 2015, 06:54:21 am
they did this, or stupidly cheap upgrades for EVERY windows release so far btw...

::)

Right... because paying $100+ for a new OS is "cheap" when you can get other OSs like Linux for free...

Well, i might consider upgrading my windows 95 to 98 but i'm not sure yet, so i'm definately gonna wait a while until stepping over to windows 10 (may take a few years (+-23)).

lmao nice one.

Windows 10 seems like an great improvement over windows 8. I may switch from win7 to windows 10 9 months after release.

Same. I don't feel like installing a potentially buggy OS when i know Windows 7 works perfectly fine. I'm personally just gonna wait a few weeks and let other people install it and see what they have to say.

Not that i expect anything to go wrong, i installed the insider preview on a second HDD and everything worked almost flawlessly - even graphics drivers.

Post by: Harry Bo21 on January 22, 2015, 07:25:17 am
my vista to 7 update was $10...

my 7 to 8 update was $15...

both coz of offers in the "first year" after release of the new OS...
Post by: daedra descent on January 22, 2015, 07:45:13 am
my vista to 7 update was $10...

my 7 to 8 update was $15...

both coz of offers in the "first year" after release of the new OS...

Regardless of the 1 year discount, its still more expensive than free linux OSs.
Post by: daedra descent on January 27, 2015, 03:17:22 am
Well, I've just upgraded to the newest preview build and i'm a bit disappointed.

The new build features Cortana but she doesn't work 80% of the time so shes more of a taskbar space hog than anything else. There doesn't seem to be a way to get rid of her and the search box on the task bar unless you use the small icon option which REALLY sucks.

As for the start menu, it looks like crap in comparison to the original one and now you can't make the menu bigger for some idiotic reason. You also have to hover your mouse over the apps section of the menu and scroll up or down to navigate the menu which may not sound like a bad idea at first but if you use a crap load of apps like i do on my tablet your going to be scrolling through that start menu a lot. All around, its step backward in just about every possible way.

Windows 10 now has a half-ass decent control panel(YAY!) but it feels like it limits you on what you can actually do. I guess the new control panel is OK if your an 80 year old grandma who doesn't know crap about computers, but if your someone who does, this new control panel is a disappointment and a slap in the face.

And last but certainly not least, DIRECTX 12 IS FINALLY HERE - kinda of. While dxdiag reports DirextX 12 being installed, i personally doubt that its the final build that will ship with the final version of Windows 10.

Just for the hell of it, i installed L4D in Windows 10 and i did see a slight increase in FPS which is probably because the OS is lighter on resources than Windows 7.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot. MS's new web browser engine is also included in the new build. It doesn't play very nice though with some websites just yet. Its slightly faster than the current IE engine.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on January 27, 2015, 05:55:47 am
I didnt expect it to be great, but putting windows 7 aside for a minute, its a improvement on windows 8 right?
Post by: daedra descent on January 27, 2015, 06:27:58 am
I didnt expect it to be great, but putting windows 7 aside for a minute, its a improvement on windows 8 right?

Eh, I wouldn't really know since the only Windows 8 device I have is the HP Stream 7 tablet.

However, Windows 10 does fix some of Microsofts screw-ups that people complained a lot about, like having to navigate through 3 different applications just to change some basic system settings and not having a start menu for desktop users.

Here are some pictures:

New control panel main menu:

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2Fb907a278c0bb1493e9a310cc0c4c9de6.png&hash=9469d11f554c5c46012a0772d8109c97d8f503df)

New start menu:

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2Fb59923874eac3016a0dabfc58a4d3e9e.png&hash=88cce6f521d8f8043eaa3c84ea2c4e82afdf4a6a)

New Store app - currently in beta

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2F830ed1f475f8d15261e3e3cc0fda45d1.jpg&hash=82933288a4525ea64d175a4e23653270a0bfb0e2)

Full desktop:

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2Fc3232429a85428367bf1b848aa5c4de4.jpg&hash=ee0c5558ba032ffce1369c846222bde8eb5adda8)

The giant search area next to the start button is actually cortona.

Post by: Harry Bo21 on January 27, 2015, 10:16:02 am
lol, well it does look "better"

Still seriously lacking though

Theres a whole bunch of things that require multiple app "surfing" (i like to call it) on win 8, that just makes no sense

well, keep trying it, and let us know performance wise how it turns out for you :)
Post by: daedra descent on February 03, 2015, 05:19:04 am
well, keep trying it, and let us know performance wise how it turns out for you :)

Well, my ram usage in Windows 10 is 2.5GB while in Windows 7 its 3.5GB, so if you are using a windows 7 computer with 2 or 4GB of ram your going to  see a huge increase in performance without a doubt.

Tried a few more games... almost all of them perform better in Windows 10 than they do in Windows 7 and once the OS releases officially GPU manufacturers will create OS specific drivers that might increase performance even more - but we most likely won't see them until the OS actually releases.

Microsoft has also launched a recovery website for Windows 7 users who accidentally updated to Windows 10. Basically you enter your recovery key and they'll provide you with an ISO that you can use to reinstall the OS.

It looks like Microsoft plans on using Windows Update to offer Windows 10 to Windows 7 and 8 users which makes the whole install process quick and painless.

Post by: eliudjb on February 03, 2015, 08:09:33 am
I bought my laptop almost 2 years ago with Windows 8 and still have that version (even with a lot of reminders for update to W8.1 :yeah: )

So, when Miscrosoft Released W10 oficially, I'm gonna update W8 to 8.1 and then to 10, a few weeks after of course.
Post by: DarkWhiss on February 03, 2015, 08:10:10 am
So you will get windows 10 through windows update? If you don't need anything else in order to upgrade thats awesome.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on February 03, 2015, 12:31:09 pm
no youll need to install it purposefully, it wont be a "auto" update

The auto updates will just be security fixes and things that are "also" in win 10, so youll need to chose to install win 10 itself yourself
Post by: daedra descent on February 03, 2015, 01:27:20 pm
no youll need to install it purposefully, it wont be a "auto" update

The auto updates will just be security fixes and things that are "also" in win 10, so youll need to chose to install win 10 itself yourself

Well yes... but one of the ways to install windows 10 IS through windows update. You need to be an insider to get the update of course so you normal scrubs won't see it, but once it downloads you'll be prompted to restart your computer to install windows 10 technical preview.
Post by: MZslayer11 on February 03, 2015, 04:24:31 pm
Raw proof that Microsoft cannot count:

Xbox -> Xbox 360 -> Xbox 720 Xbox One!

Win 7 -> Win 8 -> Win 9 Win 10!

tf is this?!?
Post by: daedra descent on February 03, 2015, 04:42:58 pm

tf is this?!?

No idea. They should have just made Windows 10 a rolling release and made it free for everyone imo.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on February 07, 2015, 12:53:14 am
yes i am aware that moving from say windows 7 to windows 10 is referred to as a "update"

I meant that the automatic windows updates, will not update your revision of windows. Only the files of your windows

changing your OS from one to a later version is always a "upgrade" that preserves your files and settings unless you other wise state to wipe and start again

So you will get windows 10 through windows update? If you don't need anything else in order to upgrade thats awesome.

So the answer is no, like I said

You will need to actively "choose" to install Win10

and the windows 10 beta is available to anyone, not "insiders"

Post by: Rorke on February 12, 2015, 03:55:07 pm
ok i have windows 10 a few days now but a little concerned about the pricing ive read that microsoft were going to charge every month for this new OS but TBH i don't know how they would do that without making people pay for the OS for the rest of there lives in the event of us having to pay for this new OS how much will it be? will we still be able to use our computers without a license? idk seems strange how they have said "FREE UPDATE FOR WIN 7 AND 8 AND 8.1 USERS" or for the ones that have already got it such as my self and DD will they release a update to take our current build off "Evaluation copy" to the full-on OS? these are my main worry's about this. putting all that aside seems cheap how they took win 8 layout and slapped in a start menu why not just make a optional update for windows 8 users to download there update for the start button :\

Double Post Merge: February 12, 2015, 04:00:49 pm
No idea. They should have just made Windows 10 a rolling release and made it free for everyone imo.
ive read on the internet if they went to windows 9 it would of caused a lot of issues and apparantly thats why they went to windows 10 and not 9 but then they could of just renamed windows 10 to windows 9 idk
Post by: Harry Bo21 on February 12, 2015, 08:38:53 pm
unless you are upgrading from 7/8 to 10, you will need to buy a license

This license cost can be split across a period of months, OR paid at one time

Businesses would need a every costly business license for it

You pc will function without a license, although same as with win 7, certain features will not work properly and you will be constantly badgered to "activate"
Post by: daedra descent on February 12, 2015, 10:02:10 pm
@Harry Bo21 I believe he was talking to me   :P

This license cost can be split across a period of months, OR paid at one time

Would like to know where you heard this since none of the tech sites that i read(PCWorld, CNET, Softpedia, etc) have mentioned this.

@Rorke yeah i'm not sure. Microsoft has just filed for "Windows 365" trademark, which could mean that they plan on making the OS subscription based at some point. I know that when they made the announcement that Windows 10 was going to be a free upgrade for Windows 7/8/8.1 users that they said they didn't have a plan for what Windows 10 would cost after that initial year - so no i don't know what it'll cost.

As for the key, the only way i can think of is through Windows Update since you need a valid product key to get updates from Microsoft it would be the fastest, safest, and easiest way to install the OS for many users. Your key would presumably either transfer over or a new one would be given to you - no idea which.

And no, you won't just be able to upgrade to the full OS. Once the OS is about to be released officially you'l get a popup saying that you need to upgrade your version of Windows or something to that extent.

Funny you mention Windows 8 and adding a start menu. In the first inital build of Windows 10 thats all it really was - Windows 8 with a start menu. Then they made the start menu look like trash in newer builds...  :lol:

Post by: Harry Bo21 on February 12, 2015, 10:44:31 pm
if you buy the license over the phone

They offered me this option when I lost my win 7 key as I said the price was ridiculous considering i already had it, just lost it

As you can prob guess, I had to pay. But I didnt use the month-to-month thing, i just paid in full

Also Business licences are offered either on subscription, or one huge fee. Most businesses use the fee, but small businesses may use the subscription

The upgrade feature would automatically change your license key btw, so that your old key can still be used with the old version of windows it was linked to

Windows 8 wasnt completely missing the start bar, drag your mouse to the bottom left and "right" click instead of left, and a menu opens, it has a lot, but not all of what was in the start bar. Most people are not aware of this

Post by: Rorke on February 12, 2015, 11:28:25 pm
talking of build updates ive got build 9926 is that latest or do i need to search manually for such thing? im still trying to get used to this new layout also the system rating's has gone (in win 7 you were able to see stats of your pc such as calculations per second and what not)
Post by: daedra descent on February 13, 2015, 08:58:28 am
talking of build updates ive got build 9926 is that latest or do i need to search manually for such thing? im still trying to get used to this new layout also the system rating's has gone (in win 7 you were able to see stats of your pc such as calculations per second and what not)

Eh i think thats the latest build - if not go to control panel, Update and Recovery, and find "Preview Builds". Then check for an update.

I'm personally glad that they got rid of the Windows Experience index - the number it gives you are relatively meaningless.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on February 13, 2015, 12:42:39 pm
I think the rating is solely based on its performance running windows, for anything else its pretty irrelevant yea
Post by: gamer9294 on February 13, 2015, 01:44:38 pm

tf is this?!?

hi,

because the first xbox has being called:  "Xbox" but the next one has a new design and new performance that are called: "Xbox 360"
and now the next one is called: "Xbox One"  because it has more stuff that could be work with the computer and has alot of new performance.

about the windows:

it's a list with all windows and they would not calling again Windows 9 because there is already Windows 95/98 and that can make for some people differents.

Microsoft has just made new version of windows that called: Windows 10 because for a new start of windows versions.

like Windows 8 some people are saying Windows 8.1 but that is only a upgrade version of windows 8.

best regards,
Gamer9294
Post by: daedra descent on February 14, 2015, 05:02:44 pm

Microsoft has just made new version of windows that called: Windows 10 because for a new start of windows versions.

• Windows 95
  • Windows NT
  • Windows 98
  • Windows XP
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 10

like Windows 8 some people are saying Windows 8.1 but that is only a upgrade version of windows 8.

best regards,
Gamer9294

hmm I thought Windows NT was for servers only.

Anyway, DAMN, check out how huge YouTube videos can get in Windows 10 IE 11. I knew the video player could expand but I've never seen it this huge. I could really get used to this...

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2Fcbd46d6ccb30e70508e7eb9a9e8454ce.jpg&hash=0df76f62f497ef858bf7e1e25fcd15417438bae3)

Post by: Harry Bo21 on February 14, 2015, 08:32:23 pm
They actually said they called it the xbox "one" because they wanted it to be all "all in one" entertainment system rather than just a console

As it not only does gaming, but also internet browsing, movies, music and in the future, it will also support windows 10, and can have other devices ran through it

ie - the "one" thing you need connected to your tv ( In MSs eyes anyway lol )

Also, Windows NT is a background kernal. The 360 runs an NT framework in the back ground :)
Post by: daedra descent on February 14, 2015, 11:17:25 pm
Also, Windows NT is a background kernal. The 360 runs an NT framework in the back ground :)

Yeah all modern Windows OSs use the Windows New Technology(NT) kernal & NTFS(New Technology File System), however i didn't think that Windows NT(The first Windows OS that introduced NT) was available to average consumers, and according to Wikipedia it wasn't.
Post by: Rorke on February 26, 2015, 02:42:38 am
have you noticed how windows 10 seem's to be missing windows firewall?
Post by: Harry Bo21 on February 26, 2015, 03:26:34 am
its in there somewhere

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AcqibSJ8ng (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AcqibSJ8ng)
Post by: Rorke on February 26, 2015, 03:42:59 am
ahh lol yeah now i found it
Post by: Harry Bo21 on February 26, 2015, 03:57:59 am
you had me that worried i smashed google up right away lol

:)
Post by: Rorke on February 26, 2015, 05:26:18 am
sorry dude im used to windows 7 where you could type in "windows firewall" or "firewall" and it would pop up but not on windows 10 thats why i was suspicious
Post by: daedra descent on February 26, 2015, 09:11:34 am
sorry dude im used to windows 7 where you could type in "windows firewall" or "firewall" and it would pop up but not on windows 10 thats why i was suspicious

It still shows up when you search for it. Looks like Microsoft still needs to add it to the new UI, but it exists in the old one:

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2F05b49d519547640af7a65a8c2ce32c72.png&hash=7adc252cf04e5710cbae1887b56d314c45c525df)
Post by: Rorke on February 26, 2015, 09:38:25 am
how are you finding windows 10 anyway dd? do you like it or have you not yet decided?
Post by: daedra descent on February 27, 2015, 03:23:53 am
how are you finding windows 10 anyway dd? do you like it or have you not yet decided?

For the OS itself, i'm liking it alot actually. Needs more work but its defiantly better than Windows 8.

I'm getting real pissed off though at Windows Update. Everytime i update my GPU drivers it replaces my updated GPU drivers with the older ones from Windows Update. I even contacted a MS Agent(You can do that in Windows 10 apparently.) and they even said that you can't pick and choose updates do i gotta deal with having to re-install my drivers over and over again.

ANYWAY, some older news that happened in the last month: You should now be able to download Realtek audio drivers from Windows Update in Windows 10 if thats what you have in Windows 7/8/8.1. Previously you where stuck with the default drivers which kinda suck. 
Post by: Rorke on February 27, 2015, 03:42:02 am
yeah i already downloaded them drivers i went on a site the otherday (carnt remember its name) and there was a download for windows indexing service and game booster idk if its fake or not but the indexing service has somehow made my gaming GPU rate 9.9 out of 9.9 idk how that stuff works
Post by: Rorke on February 28, 2015, 02:38:20 pm
also have you ever experenced or experiensing black screen after logging into windows 10? i have but i fixed it
Post by: daedra descent on February 28, 2015, 04:11:03 pm
also have you ever experenced or experiensing black screen after logging into windows 10? i have but i fixed it

Nope. Haven't had that issue.
Post by: daedra descent on March 01, 2015, 11:04:14 pm
Sorta big news here...

So apparently AMD released a new GPU driver that installs via Windows Update in Windows 10. The odd thing is that the driver isn't even mentioned as being released on AMD website...

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2F8d79f276110eaa05089201c3b59419a7.png&hash=0b2d675ef097a6d17ca48b646deb24ee6c1aeb2a)

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2Fd04d8592cd2160ae1d4d595bfe3a3c48.png&hash=20ff9e962dc4f0022d932f8487c67bea9194f504)

Supposedly its a beta driver which supports WDDM 2.0(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Model#WDDM_2.0 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Model#WDDM_2.0))

and i heard that CCC now has its own global FPS limiter somewhere but i can't find it if it exists.

Post by: Rorke on March 04, 2015, 01:48:08 am
has the trial period ended for windows 10? it wont let me search for windows updates
Post by: daedra descent on March 04, 2015, 10:32:04 pm
has the trial period ended for windows 10? it wont let me search for windows updates

Nope. Windows 10's insider preview isn't set to end until fall.

You probably don't want to update anyway. The new GPU drivers(atleast for AMD) are broken as hell. CoD4 and CoD5 no longer work in Windows 10 and i had a complete system crash not too long ago. lol

Edit: Yeah, if your using an AMD GPU in Windows 10, don't try playing World at War - it causes the display driver to freak out big time.

Edit 2: And Metro 2033 doesn't work either. Looks like the only games that work in Windows 10 are ones that use the Source engine. I wonder why that is?  ::)
Post by: Rorke on March 04, 2015, 11:13:41 pm
good job in all about nvidia then init lol i dont like AMD i had a AMD GPU in my other laptop and it was crap absolute garbo codnt even render a maya scene without some graphical issues
Post by: daedra descent on March 04, 2015, 11:30:18 pm
good job in all about nvidia then init lol i dont like AMD i had a AMD GPU in my other laptop and it was crap absolute garbo codnt even render a maya scene without some graphical issues

Yeah both AMD and Intel like putting crappy integrated graphics with their CPUs. The current GPU that i have though is pretty good considering what it is(AMD Radeon HD 7350). Currently playing Half Life 2 Episode 2 at 720p and almost everything but AA set to max and getting 60+ FPS average.

Double Post Merge: March 05, 2015, 11:14:04 pm
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2893316/microsoft-directx-12-will-increase-your-graphics-performance-by-20-percent.html (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2893316/microsoft-directx-12-will-increase-your-graphics-performance-by-20-percent.html)

20% GPU performance increase? DirectX 12 is just getting better by the second.

Post by: daedra descent on March 18, 2015, 09:46:17 pm
MS just released build 10041. No project Spartan but includes some bug fixes, transparent start menu, and some other menu stuff. I'll post screenshots once the build actually installs on my computer.

Oh yeah, windows 10 is also being released sometime during the summer. No specific date given yet.
Post by: Rorke on March 19, 2015, 12:25:03 am
hmmm update has not arived for me yet :/ but i managed to fix my windows 10 update not working now it works
Post by: daedra descent on March 19, 2015, 02:06:28 am
hmmm update has not arived for me yet :/ but i managed to fix my windows 10 update not working now it works

You'l need to set your preview build update to "fast" to get the new build. Otherwise you'l still be stuck with 9926.

If you plan on upgrading the build you should know that build 10041 is extremely buggy. The Mail, People, and calender apps don't work and neither does the search app(for me atleast). The new build also takes 45 minutes-1 hour to install too which was annoying as all hell.

And then there is Windows Update. Microsoft STILL has it so that you are forced to install updates - including GPU drivers.

This is what happened when i uninstalled an older version of the GPU drivers, restarted, OS automatically installed the 14.12 Omega drivers, installed the older drivers(pre 14.12 Omega), and installed the new "beta" AMD GPU drivers from Windows Update(15.20):

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2F666b76601fca203920044890515c08f4.png&hash=565c995fccd130a1ead207a5416c41b67c3f6518)

Like what?

Anyway, enough with my problems. Here are some images:

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2Fa81211b47e983c87faf8aeeff364c5bc.jpg&hash=9febf1c3c5152ef22504b399b341593614f50113)

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2Fc846424da0549b0de9809658a75146c1.png&hash=0057a3b2da3a56af2ce7ddd2467e9a7614c70e86)

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2Fc46c33522e21a2a1160fae5ea152375a.png&hash=f49bcefffa67b42bb840eca10b41ce502527b87a)
Post by: Rorke on March 19, 2015, 03:10:05 am
why on earth would you want a transparant menu? and i dont use them apps anyway
Post by: daedra descent on March 20, 2015, 04:20:11 am
why on earth would you want a transparant menu? and i dont use them apps anyway

For the full screen mode it kinda makes sense but it makes it really hard to see tiles and icons.

and lol at this:

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2F3aa25f8667ffe507a2314389438a629a.png&hash=38e352fad2fe9f713d8f4f12b33f022fd2656753)
Post by: Harry Bo21 on March 21, 2015, 07:43:52 am
they are probably setting your graphics driver back to the last "microsoft certified" driver, as you are beta testing it after all

They need to narrow potential problem factors
Post by: Rorke on March 24, 2015, 08:17:21 am
For the full screen mode it kinda makes sense but it makes it really hard to see tiles and icons.

and lol at this:

(http://i.gyazo.com/3aa25f8667ffe507a2314389438a629a.png)
yeah my guess is there going to get good scores for that one
Post by: daedra descent on March 29, 2015, 02:43:08 pm
Had to do a new install of Windows 10 because the old install took a giant crap. Oh well.

There is something kinda big in build 10041(or atleast i didn't notice it in earlier builds) called "fast startup".

Basically its hibernation on steroids.  When you click shutdown, Windows 10 dumps the current OS session into a file on your hard drive. When you turn your computer back on, you won't get the normal BIOS prompt and you'l boot back into Windows 10 at maybe 2x the speed you would normally.

The problem? Applications that you had open before you shutdown your computer are kinda loaded back into memory. This causes all kinda of weird crap to happen like, for example, i had a script i was working on that was still up in notepad and after restarting the computer kept on compiling outdated script versions leading to errors when there wasn't any.

This is probably a UEFI only feature so if you have an older computer this won't be a problem for you.
Post by: DeathBringerZen on March 29, 2015, 06:14:44 pm
Had to do a new install of Windows 10 because the old install took a giant crap. Oh well.

Was it down to Windows itself or was it something you did to cause it? The reason I ask is because I was considering updating one of my Windows 8 laptops but didn't want to if it was going to cause major issues.
Post by: daedra descent on March 29, 2015, 11:35:50 pm
Was it down to Windows itself or was it something you did to cause it? The reason I ask is because I was considering updating one of my Windows 8 laptops but didn't want to if it was going to cause major issues.

Something i did to cause it, most likely. As long as you just do web browsing and gaming Windows 10 is very stable and you don't have to worry all that much. I was having a little fun with the OS TBH.

If your going to upgrade, make sure you have everything backed up first - including the OS's product key. In Windows 10 it looks like you can downgrade the OS back to the previous version via the Windows.old folder(Windows Rollback) but i wouldn't trust it.
Post by: DeathBringerZen on March 30, 2015, 12:31:21 am
Something i did to cause it, most likely. As long as you just do web browsing and gaming Windows 10 is very stable and you don't have to worry all that much. I was having a little fun with the OS TBH.

If your going to upgrade, make sure you have everything backed up first - including the OS's product key. In Windows 10 it looks like you can downgrade the OS back to the previous version via the Windows.old folder(Windows Rollback) but i wouldn't trust it.

Cool, thanks man. You have convinced me to go ahead with it. Looking forward to checking it out.
Post by: Rorke on April 01, 2015, 08:01:51 am
http://gyazo.com/b782aa6a9fee016c00a406c7455b038b (http://gyazo.com/b782aa6a9fee016c00a406c7455b038b) urrrrmmmm yeah why wont it?
Post by: daedra descent on April 01, 2015, 08:27:55 am
http://gyazo.com/b782aa6a9fee016c00a406c7455b038b (http://gyazo.com/b782aa6a9fee016c00a406c7455b038b) urrrrmmmm yeah why wont it?

Lol, I think it just asks random questions based off of the applications you use. Steam obviously does, but half life 2 sure as hell don't with new drivers.

Oh yeah, project Spartan was just released in the newest build. Installing it now but its taking forever...
Post by: Rorke on April 01, 2015, 06:44:19 pm
Lol, I think it just asks random questions based off of the applications you use. Steam obviously does, but half life 2 sure as hell don't with new drivers.

Oh yeah, project Spartan was just released in the newest build. Installing it now but its taking forever...
project what? that a game?
Post by: daedra descent on April 01, 2015, 06:46:12 pm
project what? that a game?

Newest web browser from MS.
Post by: Rorke on April 01, 2015, 06:50:48 pm
Newest web browser from MS.
wow dont i feel like a complete utter div.....im still using build 9926 :lol: i dissabled windows update

EDIT: when i first read the "project spartan" i thought of a med evil game that was based in roman times :lol:
Post by: daedra descent on April 01, 2015, 07:11:11 pm
wow dont i feel like a complete utter div.....im still using build 9926 :lol: i dissabled windows update

EDIT: when i first read the "project spartan" i thought of a med evil game that was based in roman times :lol:

Was that pun intentional? O.o

And Spartan is Greek not roman xD.
Post by: Rorke on April 02, 2015, 11:33:42 am
Was that pun intentional? O.o

And Spartan is Greek not roman xD.
well i thought its good for and what i want to do on a daily basis like no problems no freezing no lock ups no system lag its never been in a state where its thought about a right click (was hanging on win 7) so seems pretty stable to me so i disabled it via AVG PC tune up so it will not do any updates of any kind
Post by: daedra descent on April 02, 2015, 06:54:34 pm
well i thought its good for and what i want to do on a daily basis like no problems no freezing no lock ups no system lag its never been in a state where its thought about a right click (was hanging on win 7) so seems pretty stable to me so i disabled it via AVG PC tune up so it will not do any updates of any kind

You do know that Microsoft will disable ALL Windows 10 builds when they get ready to officially release it, right?

PROJECT SPARTAN OMG I THINK IT MAKES VODKA!

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2F344d91fe68f4e52b94d52d2bb91dbbbe.png&hash=6b57505b8bcefcad5e2c32df4ed190d67f7d3c88)
Post by: Rorke on April 02, 2015, 08:05:24 pm
You do know that Microsoft will disable ALL Windows 10 builds when they get ready to officially release it, right?
what you mean?
Post by: KDXDARK on April 02, 2015, 09:13:16 pm
I love the cross device multiplayer feature its really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4qS72YcZ_w (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4qS72YcZ_w)

Post by: daedra descent on April 02, 2015, 09:35:44 pm
what you mean?

Meaning that the Windows 10 Tech Preview isn't meant to be used as a stable or long term OS - your supposed to keep upgrading it and testing out the new features. Eventually Microsoft is going to flip the switch and the builds will no longer work.

I love the cross device multiplayer feature its really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4qS72YcZ_w (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4qS72YcZ_w)

Yeah that is pretty cool. Don't have a Xbone though so i can't use it. #Sony4Life
Post by: Harry Bo21 on April 02, 2015, 10:40:17 pm
cross platform play has nothing to do with win10

Cross platform play is "already" possible, people are getting mixed up coz of the WIN 10 on xbone talk. That will mean effectively when youre running win 10 on the xbox, your using PC live, if your running the normal xbone then your on xbone live

The two are capable of crossplatform, as is sony

Then on top of that, directX12 (win 10 will launch with this) means that for developers to port their titles to other games will be easy

So to sum it up, cross platform play, has 0 to do with windows 10
Post by: Rorke on April 02, 2015, 10:50:04 pm

Cross platform play is "already" possible, people are getting mixed up coz of the WIN 10 on xbone talk. That will mean effectively when youre running win 10 on the xbox, your using PC live, if your running the normal xbone then your on xbone live

Then on top of that, directX12 (win 10 will launch with this) means that for developers to port their titles to other games will be easy

well my GPU only supports directx 11 so that might be a issue for me also this: http://gyazo.com/b90e038d88148de24fc64c3a5d12aef2 (http://gyazo.com/b90e038d88148de24fc64c3a5d12aef2)
Post by: daedra descent on April 02, 2015, 11:34:03 pm

Obviously, but this is the first time MS has really pushed for it to be an actual thing for one of their consoles. Sony has done it with the PS Vita but i don't think its all that popular.

well my GPU only supports directx 11 so that might be a issue for me also this: http://gyazo.com/b90e038d88148de24fc64c3a5d12aef2 (http://gyazo.com/b90e038d88148de24fc64c3a5d12aef2)

If your running the latest version of Windows 10 your already running a version of DirectX 12.

Not that it matters all that much, there isn't a chance in hell game developers are going to make their games DirectX 12 only when more people have DirectX 9, 10, and 11. From a business standpoint it makes no sense.

What i see happening is big games like BF and CoD either not supporting the API for a few years or giving the user the option to switch between Direct X 11 and Direct X 12 based on what their OS supports. Considering how fast Mantle caught on i imagine the latter is going to happen.
Post by: Rorke on April 03, 2015, 07:11:47 am
well i just upgraded to the lastest build and i dont see whats different appart from the see through start thingy a little disapointed took me a long time to download and install it

Double Post Merge: April 03, 2015, 12:11:11 pm
im in the process of backing everything up and going back to windows 7 this new build is shit carnt do fuck all now its making steam mess up its slowed my computer to a halt half of its features dont even work fuck this im defo going back to win 7

Double Post Merge: April 03, 2015, 12:13:20 pm
now i can see why they put it out there for free
Post by: daedra descent on April 03, 2015, 05:18:24 pm
well i just upgraded to the lastest build and i dont see whats different appart from the see through start thingy a little disapointed took me a long time to download and install it

Double Post Merge: April 03, 2015, 12:11:11 pm
im in the process of backing everything up and going back to windows 7 this new build is shit carnt do fuck all now its making steam mess up its slowed my computer to a halt half of its features dont even work fuck this im defo going back to win 7

Double Post Merge: April 03, 2015, 12:13:20 pm
now i can see why they put it out there for free

lol?
Post by: Harry Bo21 on April 08, 2015, 01:07:35 am

most games  have options for which direct X you use. If you cant run 12, youll use 11, there may be some performance loss for that, but it will work. Most games do this. They usually say in the "minimum" requirements "DirectX 9 or higher"

Obviously, but this is the first time MS has really pushed for it to be an actual thing for one of their consoles. Sony has done it with the PS Vita but i don't think its all that popular.

You are talking about two different things. Direct X12 making it possible for devs to port any app, made on any device, to any other device (Xbox one, PS4, PC, Mobile, etc) has nothing to do with windows 10. It infact, helps sony and nintendo too. It literally means, the framework required on any of these platforms using Direct X 12 will be near enough the same, so porting from one device to another would require little work. Doesnt neccesarily mean the 2 products will be able to cross platform play just coz they both use DX12

But this has nothing to do with cross platform play either. Cross platform is possible with or without direct X 12. Its all server side and differences in the way files are compiled. EG, the scripts for BO2 are compiled differently on PS to PC or xbox

which doesnt matter, as long as the server makes allowances to translate the required info either way. Cross platform has been around for literally years. FF11 came out like 13 years ago and that could cross play PC, Xbox and PS