UGX-Mods

Contests => Past Contests => $100 Giveaway Maps => Topic started by: treminaor on June 15, 2013, 07:24:47 pm

Title: [$100 Giveaway] ZomMods Contest Announcement & Rules
Post by: treminaor on June 15, 2013, 07:24:47 pm
UGX-Mods is currently sponsoring a contest held by  ZomMods (http://zommods.com). Here are the rules:
ZomMods Contest Announcement & Rules

The purpose of this contest is to make the best map you can that fits the theme given below.
Theme of the map: Survival type zombie playground*. Example: The roof of Mercy Hospital where there are ramps and walkways connecting different areas. Get creative with the layout and what would make it fun to just run around survive in a small to medium area. You may place a buyable ending in the map but it is not mandatory and won’t be factored into the judging.

This mapping contest is being hosted by ZomMods.com and is sponsored by UGX-Mods.com.
The way this contest will work is that if you are interested in entering you will need to go to
www.zommods.com (http://www.zommods.com) and get a username and password and then let ZomMods know under the forum topic called “ZomMods Map Contest” what your username is and what your map will be called, and a link to the WIP page (once finished). From there, go to www.ugx-mods.com (http://www.ugx-mods.com) and start a WIP page in the new Contest Entries section (http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?action=post;board=37.0) so you can show regular updates of your map and strike fear into the hearts of competing mappers. The contest will officially begin July 1st, 2013 and will end August 31st, 2013 at midnight.

All maps must be uploaded to MEGA (
https://mega.co.nz/ (https://mega.co.nz/)) and download links sent to [email protected] where they will be then be distributed to the judges. The judges will be made up of team members from both ZomMods and UGX-Mods. Shortly after the close of the contest a winner will be selected and will receive $100.00 USD and will be praised like a King on the front page of ZomMods for 2 weeks.

Rules Simplified:

1. To enter the contest sign up on ZomMods.com before July 1st .
2. Start a WIP on UGX-Mods.com
3. Do your best to stay true to the theme.
4. You have 2 months to work on the map, from July 1 – August 31.
5. You must upload your map to MEGA and send the link to [email protected] no later than August 31 at midnight.
6. Each map must have the UGX Mod on it.

The categories that each map will be graded on is:
Fun Factor: How fun the map feels to play – 10 points
Best execution of the theme: How much the level design feels like a crazy zombie survival playground – 10 points
Appearance: Level of detail and visual appeal – 10 points

*playground here has nothing to do with playground equipment. It's about putting a lot of fun things and fun areas into a relatively small space.

For any questions, email: [email protected]
Title: Re: [$100 Giveaway] ZomMods Contest Announcement & Rules
Post by: MrSlagovich on June 16, 2013, 12:27:35 pm
If anyone is looking for an idea I think a cool map could be 4 rooftops connected and the floor below each rooftop is enterable and you could put something in the middle of the four but i think 4 rooftops connected would be pretty cool.
Post by: tomikaze on June 16, 2013, 07:59:48 pm
Remember, it's a 2 month long mapping contest so please don't submit something that you have been working on already. I know we're going by the honor system here, but please try to play fair. Thanks.
Post by: jei9363 on June 16, 2013, 08:03:01 pm
Remember, it's a 2 month long mapping contest so please don't submit something that you have been working on already. I know we're going by the honor system here, but please try to play fair. Thanks.

can it utilize old scripts? I have my scripts for player launchers and ziplines ready to go for my new map
Post by: tomikaze on June 16, 2013, 08:07:32 pm
Yes, that's fine.
Post by: Rollonmath42 on June 18, 2013, 03:34:29 pm
Do I HAVE to use the UGX Mod? I've got a map planned out and plenty of weapons that I was going to put in it that aren't in the UGX Mod that I like.
Post by: tomikaze on June 18, 2013, 03:51:43 pm
Do I HAVE to use the UGX Mod? I've got a map planned out and plenty of weapons that I was going to put in it that aren't in the UGX Mod that I like.
The theme I have chosen is designed to take full advantage of the various game modes that the UGX Mod offers. Game modes mean replayability and when you combine that with maps that are supposed to be fast paced and chaotic I believe that you achieve a mapping experience that people will want to play over and over again. So for this contest the maps must have the UGX Mod on them.
Post by: SajeOne on June 18, 2013, 09:53:47 pm
plenty of weapons that I was going to put in it that aren't in the UGX Mod that I like.
You can add/replace weapons that are in UGX-MOD lol.
Post by: treminaor on June 20, 2013, 05:31:59 am
Updated the WIP topic link for the new board: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?board=37.0 (http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?board=37.0)
Post by: treminaor on June 25, 2013, 04:55:28 pm
Only 5 more days to sign up!
Post by: Mckay on June 25, 2013, 08:58:20 pm
Five days to come up with some kind of idea. I want to enter, hopefully I can come up with something soon.
Post by: DeletedUser on June 29, 2013, 02:58:27 pm
Is it allowed to modify UGX Mod code to keep WWII guns and get rid of modern ones?
Post by: tomikaze on June 29, 2013, 03:15:49 pm
Is it allowed to modify UGX Mod code to keep WWII guns and get rid of modern ones?

No sir! Now go wash your mouth out with soap before I give you a spanking.

I've heard that it's possible to add more guns so if you wanted to include a couple of your favorite WWII guns you could do that, but you may have to get with Treminaor or SajeOne to work that out.
Post by: SajeOne on June 29, 2013, 05:44:22 pm
It is possible but really? You want to add the WWII guns back after how much use they have had? Honestly unless a map has some really cool features I can't stand to play maps with the classic weapons anymore.
Post by: DeletedUser on June 30, 2013, 09:25:32 am
To be honest I love being nostalgic. :D

Post Merge: June 30, 2013, 04:06:55 pm
BTW What if I have problems with installing UGX Mod into my contest map?
Or can I at least give timed gameplay or just weapons etc. without installing UGX Mod?
Post by: treminaor on June 30, 2013, 05:45:29 pm
BTW What if I have problems with installing UGX Mod into my contest map?
Or can I at least give timed gameplay or just weapons etc. without installing UGX Mod?
UGX Mod is a requirement in the rules. If you have a problem installing it, post a topic in the Help Desk section and we will be happy to help you. Also, check the new wiki guide: http://ugx-mods.com/wiki/index.php?title=UGX_Mod_Standalone_Installation (http://ugx-mods.com/wiki/index.php?title=UGX_Mod_Standalone_Installation)
Post by: DeletedUser on June 30, 2013, 07:01:28 pm
the problem is that I followed all the steps also the mapname_ignore.csv, project moving etc. and I get 1600 loaded sound assets.
BTW On my map there is a 60% chance on Round 1 that a zombie will be the sprinting one  :lol:
I already talked with Saje about the problem and it seems unfixable for now
Post by: treminaor on June 30, 2013, 07:02:42 pm
the problem is that I followed all the steps also the mapname_ignore.csv, project moving etc. and I get 1600 loaded sound assets.
BTW On my map there is a 60% chance on Round 1 that a zombie will be the sprinting one  :lol:
http://ugx-mods.com/wiki/index.php?title=UGX_Mod_Standalone_Installation#Exceeded_limit_of_1600_sounds.21 (http://ugx-mods.com/wiki/index.php?title=UGX_Mod_Standalone_Installation#Exceeded_limit_of_1600_sounds.21)
Post by: tomikaze on August 26, 2013, 04:16:35 pm
Less that one week left! This is the final reminder about the “$100 Giveaway Mapping Contest”. Thank you to everyone who has made it to the end of the contest and has something to show. It's been a lot of fun watching the progress and being able to be apart of the mapping experience.

Once again here are the rules (highlighted are the one's that still pertain):

Rules Simplified:

1. To enter the contest sign up on ZomMods.com before July 1st .
2. Start a WIP on UGX-Mods.com
3. Do your best to stay true to the theme.
4. You have 2 months to work on the map, from July 1 – August 31.
5. You must upload your map to MEGA and send the link to
[email protected] no later than August 31 at midnight.
6. Each map must have the UGX Mod on it.

The categories that each map will be graded on is:
Fun Factor: How fun the map feels to play – 10 points
Best execution of the theme: How much the level design feels like a crazy zombie survival playground – 10 points
Appearance: Level of detail and visual appeal – 10 points
Post by: timelordalex on September 01, 2013, 11:50:37 am
when are the contest maps officially released for everyone? really cant wait to play ski resort/summit
Post by: tomikaze on September 01, 2013, 01:47:15 pm
They will be released within a week or so, as soon as the judges make a decision and a winner is declared.
Post by: tomikaze on September 03, 2013, 03:12:02 pm
There were a total of 3 playable contest entries out of the 8 mappers who initially signed up which was a little disappointing, but nevertheless it was an enjoyable experience overall. For those of you who were working on a map but just couldn't get it done in time we all do hope that you are still working on your maps and release them when they are ready. There were a lot of good ideas out there and we can't wait to see them finished and ready to play  :)

The 3 finalist maps are being played and graded by the judges as we speak and a winner will be announced within the next few days and download links for the public will be made immediately available.

Once again, we appreciate all the mappers who signed up for the contest and everyone who commented and helped support the mappers in the process. See you guys in a few days!
Post by: DeletedUser on September 03, 2013, 05:48:49 pm
There were a total of 3 playable contest entries out of the 8 mappers who initially signed up which was a little disappointing, but nevertheless it was an enjoyable experience overall. For those of you who were working on a map but just couldn't get it done in time we all do hope that you are still working on your maps and release them when they are ready. There were a lot of good ideas out there and we can't wait to see them finished and ready to play  :)

The 3 finalist maps are being played and graded by the judges as we speak and a winner will be announced within the next few days and download links for the public will be made immediately available.

Once again, we appreciate all the mappers who signed up for the contest and everyone who commented and helped support the mappers in the process. See you guys in a few days!
Hurry up. I'm checking my email every 5 minutes and I can't stop it. :lol:
Post by: DeathBringerZen on September 04, 2013, 02:19:12 pm
Hurry up. I'm checking my email every 5 minutes and I can't stop it. :lol:

I agree. I am really keen to play these new maps. If they are competition worthy, they have to be expected to be something a little better than the current influx of "First Maps" that we have been getting.

Can you guys at least let us know the 3 that made the final?

Post by: DeletedUser on September 04, 2013, 02:31:56 pm
Zombie Island by me, ski resort by zniic and valley hideout by stuffed oatmeal
Post by: tomikaze on September 04, 2013, 02:37:59 pm
Oh Ray, you are SO grounded!
Post by: DeletedUser on September 04, 2013, 02:40:29 pm
Oh Ray, you are SO grounded!
Because I guessed which maps made it?
Post by: DeathBringerZen on September 04, 2013, 02:42:49 pm

Thanks man!  ;)

All of those maps looked amazing, and all deserve to win to be honest. Can't wait to try them.
Post by: P.S.M. on September 04, 2013, 02:44:21 pm
I CAN'T WAIT (Literally)
Post by: timelordalex on September 04, 2013, 04:53:31 pm
i cant wait either, i think most of the map entries, the makers forgot about the deadline
Post by: Dust on September 04, 2013, 05:34:12 pm
cant wait to play them. they all sound amazing! good luck to all 3 mappers
Post by: n123q45 on September 04, 2013, 05:45:32 pm
Because I guessed which maps made it?
Ray, ur his bitch now. Lol
Post by: DeletedUser on September 04, 2013, 05:53:36 pm
Ray, ur his bitch now. Lol
What if i told you that my map's thread has more views than this thread or zniic's Ski resort.
Post by: tomikaze on September 04, 2013, 05:56:25 pm
What if i told you that my map's thread has more views than this thread or zniic's Ski resort.
You must view your own thread a lot. BOOM!  :D
Post by: treminaor on September 04, 2013, 05:56:54 pm
What if i told you that thread views don't have any effect on the map's quality O_O

Results will be posted when tomikaze's ready, be patient :D
Post by: DeletedUser on September 04, 2013, 05:59:04 pm
What if i told you that thread views don't have any effect on the map's quality O_O

1) i sometimes dont know why i post stuff like that randomly
2) oh my god im nervous
Post by: DeathBringerZen on September 04, 2013, 06:19:19 pm

But that is too long to wait. I want them now!  :'(
Post by: DeletedUser on September 04, 2013, 06:21:16 pm
My itchy trigger finger is so itchy that i cant stop clicking refresh on my mailbox.
Post by: timelordalex on September 04, 2013, 06:57:22 pm

I want doesnt get
Post by: zNiiC on September 04, 2013, 07:02:49 pm

What if i told you i rarely updated my topic o.O
Post by: timelordalex on September 04, 2013, 09:11:03 pm

hope you win this buddy
Post by: DeletedUser on September 04, 2013, 09:14:20 pm
(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.memegenerator.net%2Finstances%2F400x%2F34103762.jpg&hash=143565fe8bc09499691b71b8f08ede1ec49eaa9c)
Post by: jjbradman on September 05, 2013, 04:21:43 am
what if i told you all the other maps besides ski resort looks crappy? :please:
Post by: DeletedUser on September 05, 2013, 04:58:15 am
Just because I posted idontknowwhyimpostingthis post that I do sometimes everyone has gone with what if i told you O_O
Pardon me for that.
Post by: treminaor on September 05, 2013, 05:00:52 am
what if i told you all the other maps besides ski resort looks crappy? :please:
Looks aren't everything. Which is the exact reason appearance is only 33% of the voting scale :)

A map can still be really fun or have a ton of custom features, even if it "looks crappy". Give all the maps an equal chance ;)
Post by: DeathBringerZen on September 05, 2013, 02:34:13 pm
Come on Tomikaze, you dirty tease... We want to get our hands on these bad boys! Pick a winner and drop us some links. :P
Post by: tomikaze on September 05, 2013, 03:18:12 pm
They will be released within a week or so, as soon as the judges make a decision and a winner is declared.

A watched pot never boils.
Post by: DeathBringerZen on September 05, 2013, 03:39:31 pm

They will be released within a week or so? Within a week or so? A week or so? A WEEK!?!

That was 6 days ago! We are nearing a conclusion then?

Half-Life 3 confi... wait, that's not right...
Post by: timelordalex on September 05, 2013, 04:27:05 pm
keep on pestering him and he wont release them
Post by: DeletedUser on September 05, 2013, 04:43:16 pm
keep on pestering him and he wont release them
You know what? Keep it up and I'll be able to give my map more guns before its released.
Post by: treminaor on September 05, 2013, 04:44:23 pm
(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ft.qkme.me%2F3oqduj.jpg&hash=981945061ca9a21f1d98dde2b50d7a6b72aba7d4)
Post by: timelordalex on September 05, 2013, 05:07:45 pm
You know what? Keep it up and I'll be able to give my map more guns before its released.

wont he just be releasing the version that was sent to him?
Post by: tomikaze on September 07, 2013, 04:00:47 pm
CONTEST RESULTS

There are certain things I liked about each map more than the others which did make this contest somewhat difficult to judge. A big thank you to zNiiC, Ray1235 and Stuffed Oatmeal for putting together these maps and for making this a memorable and enjoyable contest. I hope you all learned some things during this contest and are better mappers because of it. Thanks again guys and I hope to see you all on the forums!

Also, to everyone who plays these maps, please be respectful to the mappers. They each put a lot of effort into their maps; sometimes things workout the way you plan and other times they don't and that's just the way it goes.

3rd Place - Valley Hideout by Stuffed Oatmeal:
Download Link: https://mega.co.nz/#!pgxCUT5Z!Pcq7G0iygi6yvxxG4wfManNiARdNBYZt6CnLA8WY5O4

Pros:
+the map looks good; detail is evenly spread out and well done.
+It is a fun adventure to the PAP machine and just like Stuffed Oatmeal’s previous map, Undead Church, Valley Hideout entertained me and left me wanting more.
+once you get out of the starting area the challenge really ramps up which is fun.

Cons:
-Easy starting area
-linear level design, not many places to go outside of following a very set path.

Final Thought: While the map looks pretty good and is fun to play, this map also seemed to be the least like the theme of a Zombie playground. And really had no other features to bring up its score any, so once you play through it a time or two in the various UGX game modes you may not feel the need to go back to it.

2nd Place - Zombie Island by Ray1235:
Download Link: https://mega.co.nz/#!x94XDYYC!aEiYogHgLuk6WUC-CGLMaBr9QVwNUEBsJNsPqTwPhZM

Pros:
+the lava
+custom run animations & custom guns
+the chaotic underground area
+the place where you have to set a bomb & the place where you hack a teleporter before you can us it

Cons:
-starting area is too slow going in early rounds
-linear level design, similar to Valley Hideout, you pretty much follow a very set path.
-inconsistent detailing

Final Thought: This map had the most inconsistent visuals, some places looked pretty good and others looked almost neglected altogether. The fun underground area looks something like a chaotic Zombie playground and so this map got a bump in points for that. Also, the custom features added some extra replay value. Don't forget to grenade the boats in the starting area for a laugh.

1st Place - Ski Resort by zNiiC:
Download Link: https://mega.co.nz/#!885mSK4B!DnFfYznhc_bZgFPHHEHamG6DXrUSv3JWrP6Q4m23wVs

Pros:
+How great the map looks
+the crazy snowstorm and the challenge that low visibility brings with it
+the Raygun Mark II
+building the power switch
+the non-linear map layout, it felt more like an open world while the others felt like a long path.

Cons:
-one out of every 5 or so zombies just falls over dead for some unknown reason.

Final Thought: The non-linear layout is great and the crazy snowstorm makes it feel claustrophobic even when you are outside which is unique and even a bit scary. The buildable power switch means you have to work extra hard for your perks and adds a little adventure to the map. All around the map looks great, plays well and is a LOT of fun.
Post by: DeletedUser on September 07, 2013, 04:04:56 pm
Don't forget to grenade the boats in the starting area for a laugh.
I did exactly the same thing during my playtesting lol.  :D

Post Merge: September 07, 2013, 04:13:51 pm
-inconsistent detailing
Just the deadline plus very busy vacations. I had pretty small time to work on my map.
+the place where you have to set a bomb & the place where you hack a teleporter before you can us it
Glad you liked this ;)
+the chaotic underground area
I couldn't survive ten seconds here in the middle of the round :troll:
+the lava
Just a few lines of script :troll:
+custom run animations & custom guns
I wouldn't say custom because the colt 1911 is the waw model with BO anims but at least still counts ;)

That's all from me. I will make an update soon which will add more custom guns and will be 100% detailed.
Post by: DeathBringerZen on September 07, 2013, 04:24:56 pm
Congrats to zNiiC for winning. His mapping skills are truly amazing! Such brilliant work in such a short space of time!? I hope you continue to develop custom maps for a long time mate.

Well done also to Ray and Oatmeal. You did very well with your maps, but a remake of Summit, if done well enough, was always going to win in my opinion.

Good reviews also Tomikaze. Thanks for the links too... ;)
Post by: timelordalex on September 07, 2013, 04:49:48 pm
^what he said
Post by: treminaor on September 07, 2013, 05:18:27 pm
I've posted the individual judging from SajeOne, MrSlagovich, and myself here for those who are interested: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=1047 (http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=1047)
Post by: DeathBringerZen on September 07, 2013, 05:40:06 pm
Having now played Ski Resort, I have to say visually it is amazing. Really does look so much like Summit! Several major flaws on it though, so hopefully you can address these zNiiC. They dying off zombies is a game breaker. Also has a few invicible barriers that should not be in certain areas.

Still though, despite these issues... what a map. Really impressed with it.
Post by: zNiiC on September 07, 2013, 07:30:50 pm
I am testing my map without ugx mod to see if I still get the spawner issues. Ill report back later
Post by: treminaor on September 08, 2013, 04:40:03 am
I am testing my map without ugx mod to see if I still get the spawner issues. Ill report back later
I doubt it would have anything to do with it considering none of the existing UGX Mod maps have the issue.
Post by: zNiiC on September 08, 2013, 04:43:03 am
I figured it out, but the project manager isnt copying the mod over

Trem can you go into chat?

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FPju3uwc.png&hash=c94bccea67774d81c3db2eee91c368657149b1d2)
(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FqzFdg4J.jpg&hash=9fa28c4e676f60a19127ed8c6d2415575c51f186)
Post by: DeletedUser on September 12, 2013, 11:14:28 am
I figured it out, but the project manager isnt copying the mod over
You don't need it. I do it manually.