UGX-Mods

Everything Else => General Discussion => Topic started by: Alpha5 on June 09, 2013, 02:55:31 pm

Title: Career
Post by: Alpha5 on June 09, 2013, 02:55:31 pm
Hi, I am new to this forum, but have been making maps for around 2 years now, not released in this name. I fell like I want to make a job out of this. I would be happy for unpaid work to begin with... A little about me, I have a masters in maths from Oxford, good a-levels, but I want to do level design as my job, not just a hobby. What experience do you think I should go for, who I should apply to. I only have experience in radiant when it come to level design.
Title: Re: Career
Post by: CoDMapper on June 09, 2013, 04:33:31 pm
It's an interesting area in the job place now, saying that it's one of the most, if not the most competitive areas. Unfortunately, a lot of studios have turned 3+ years of professional experience into a job requirement, which makes no sense whatsoever in the long run. I would say first off, do you have a portfolio? There are many free website hosts where you could quickly throw one together. Main thing about level design is geometry. This is the biggest thing they look at. How do you block out your map's areas, how does it flow, etc. Fine detailing is mostly done by the art team, which is something to keep in mind. Radiant is as good as level editors get, so that's great that you have experience there. Some studios that use Radiant are Sledgehammer, Raven, Infinity Ward, and Treyarch. You can apply to those at anytime, since they are all under the Activision system. The biggest thing is to get a large portfolio, with level type variety. Another thing they look at is team experience, it's good if you have some works in which you collaborated with a team in order to complete. They like this since it is similar in how they work. I'm open to answer other questions and help. I'd also like to see your portfolio if you have one, or once you finish it.
Post by: Alpha5 on June 09, 2013, 05:50:52 pm
I don't have a portfolio as of now, although it wouldn't take long to make one, as you said. where did you get your team experience, and is there a right way to find such a group?
Your portofolio is very impressive imo.
Post by: treminaor on June 09, 2013, 07:16:01 pm
On a side note, CoDMapper I would suggest providing high-res versions of your map screenshots on your portfolio. Detail doesn't do much good in a small thumbnail. Just my two cents.
Post by: SajeOne on June 09, 2013, 07:50:44 pm
CoDMapper I would suggest providing high-res versions of your map screenshots on your portfolio. Detail doesn't do much good in a small thumbnail. Just my two cents.
Maybe a jquery light box or whatever they are called. Like most images posted on this site.