UGX-Mods

UGX-Mods => Giveaways => Topic started by: treminaor on June 30, 2015, 04:36:58 am

Title: UGX-Mods & ZomMods Mapping Contest 2015
Post by: treminaor on June 30, 2015, 04:36:58 am
Welcome to the 2015 Mapping Contest.
Hosted by UGX-Mods and Sponsored by ZomMods

There will be 3 main Cash Prizes available to be won:

1st Place - $500
2nd Place - $150
3rd Place - $50
Runner Ups - $10*

Note - Payment of cash prizes will be made via PayPal. If you do not have PayPal, you will not be eligible to receive prize money

*: There will only be a maximum of 10 runner-ups.

Contest Map Theme

The theme for the map contest is: Build your ideal zombie base to survive the apocalypse. It could be anything from a cabin in the woods or a local supermarket to a castle in the middle of nowhere, it's up to you!

Contest Deadline

The contest officially begins today June 29th, 2015, and will end on November 22nd, 2015 at 11:59PM PST.

How to Participate

Those of you interested in participating in the contest will need to start a WIP (Work in Progress) page in the New Contest Entries Section (http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?board=63.0), so that you can provide  the UGX community with updates on your map. This topic does not need to have any pictures right away or a complete features list, but try to keep the community updated at least occasionally to the progress of your map without giving away any information you wish to remain secret.

Who is judging these maps?

Once the entry deadline has passed for the contest, we will set up a community poll topic where people can vote for the winners of these maps. There will be a two week period of voting before the winners are determined. Winners will be ranked based on the number of votes they received, in descending order.  We ask that you vote based on the quality of the map and how it follows the theme of the contest, not based on the popularity of the map/mapper or any professional/personal affiliation you have with them. In the event of a tie between two or more maps for a winning place, a re-vote will be cast and users will only be allowed to vote amongst the tying maps.

Contest & Submission Rules

All of these rules must be followed in order to be eligible for prizes:

Please reply to this topic with any questions or clarifications you have about the contest.

Required Contest Logo Files

dl.dropboxusercontent.com

To install the files, open the RAR file and drag both the map_source and raw folders into the root of your mod tools directory. There are two prefabs included within _prefabs/ugxmods_contest_2015. The logo textures can also be found by setting your Texture Locale to Seelow in Radiant. Make sure you include the images folder in your map so that the textures show up in-game!

- The UGX-Mods Team & ZomMods[/list][/list]
Title: Re: UGX-Mods & ZomMods Mapping Contest 2015
Post by: idogftw on June 30, 2015, 04:46:27 am
Yay contest
Post by: DidUknowiPwn on June 30, 2015, 04:47:59 am
So...
! No longer available (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY1k1GcZRww#)
Who wants to be paired up with me :P?
Post by: Bwc66930 on June 30, 2015, 04:56:02 am
well now.... if we have no paypal can the money just count as a donation to ugx :)) since i too lazy to make a paypal
Post by: tomikaze on June 30, 2015, 05:02:23 am
well now.... if we have no paypal can the money just count as a donation to ugx :)) since i too lazy to make a paypal
Bro, it took you longer to type that sentence than it would take to setup a PayPal account.
Post by: Bwc66930 on June 30, 2015, 05:04:47 am
Bro, it took you longer to type that sentence than it would take to setup a PayPal account.
ech, still too lazy, besides i dont care for the money, i just want to enter for fun  ;D

edit: actually nah ill make a paypal
Post by: BashTheOutcast on June 30, 2015, 05:49:08 am
do you have to use the UGX Mod
Post by: treminaor on June 30, 2015, 05:49:36 am
do you have to use the UGX Mod
nope
Post by: InspectrTequila on June 30, 2015, 05:51:56 am
I got some textures,animations,layout,guns & theme. Anyone wanna pair up?

Double Post Merge: June 30, 2015, 06:04:22 am
So...
! No longer available (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY1k1GcZRww#)
Who wants to be paired up with me :P?

I'm down! What kinda map you doing?

Post by: BashTheOutcast on June 30, 2015, 07:42:39 am
What the New Contest Entries Section
Post by: treminaor on June 30, 2015, 07:56:46 am
What the New Contest Entries Section
.....click it and you'll find out
Post by: DeathBringerZen on June 30, 2015, 10:30:55 am
Awesome stuff Trem & Tom. These competitions are a great thing for the community and the prizes on offer are very generous indeed. Great to see you giving back to the community (again!).

Can't wait to see what people can produce for this one. Good luck to all who participate.
Post by: HitmanVere on June 30, 2015, 10:35:33 am
I dont know, if I want to take part in contest or not due to Project C :poker:
Post by: MrSlagovich on June 30, 2015, 10:42:28 am
Good luck to everyone who enters!
Post by: HitmanVere on June 30, 2015, 11:30:16 am
Whats the last date for entering then?
Post by: Scobalula on June 30, 2015, 11:57:51 am
Whats the last date for entering then?

• The download link for your map can be posted to the first post of your WIP topic at any time before the deadline. Again, the deadline is November 22nd, 2015 @ Midnight PST). If your topic has an "Edited at" date of later than the contest deadline time, your entry will not be counted.

Post by: HitmanVere on June 30, 2015, 12:00:07 pm

Well, I feel dumb now, missed that part... Thanks for notifying
Post by: tomikaze on June 30, 2015, 02:25:20 pm
If anyone needs ideas the Left 4 Dead games had some fun last stand areas, the ones that stand out to me are the roof of Mercy Hospital, the boathouse on the riverbank of Death Toll, the carnival and roller-coaster sections of Dark Carnival.

Really any place that you could put helpful traps, ramps, escape hatches, areas to jump from to safety. Remember, this is your world that you are designing, be as creative and brutal as you want to be; the zombies should be the ones who are afraid of attacking you here.
Post by: Scobalula on June 30, 2015, 02:44:19 pm
If anyone needs ideas the Left 4 Dead games had some fun last stand areas, the ones that stand out to me are the roof of Mercy Hospital, the boathouse on the riverbank of Death Toll, the carnival and roller-coaster sections of Dark Carnival.

Really any place that you could put helpful traps, ramps, escape hatches, areas to jump from to safety. Remember, this is your world that you are designing, be as creative and brutal as you want to be; the zombies should be the ones who are afraid of attacking you here.

Very true, I am currently getting ideas from other games such as L4D.

Where I also get my ideas from is real life abandoned locations such as Ghost Towns or derelict building. I recommend looking at this page on Mods Repository:

http://wiki.modsrepository.com/index.php?title=Mapping:_Reference_resources (http://wiki.modsrepository.com/index.php?title=Mapping:_Reference_resources)
Post by: freefire1990 on June 30, 2015, 11:04:37 pm
think im gonna be entering. You never know huh, Need to learn alot of shit before i can even get a place in 700-800th place :lol: .

voting for hitman right away by the way, cuz we in special relationship.

Edit: maybe for sco, cuz he keeps eithan in cage.
Post by: Bwc66930 on July 01, 2015, 12:40:39 am

map not out yet and hes already being bias on his vote, seems to be rigged  :troll:
Post by: DeletedUser on July 01, 2015, 01:19:58 am
Sounds interesting :) I might enter in this giveaway
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 01, 2015, 01:20:13 am
map not out yet and hes already being bias on his vote, seems to be rigged  :troll:
lets just skip the compo and vote for our favorite people instead - save time ;)
Post by: treminaor on July 01, 2015, 01:26:09 am
We ask that you vote based on the quality of the map and how it follows the theme of the contest, not based on the popularity of the map/mapper or any professional/personal affiliation you have with them.
Post by: smasher248 on July 01, 2015, 01:44:46 am

ignore his vote when they are being counted
Post by: whippytrout on July 01, 2015, 03:09:42 am
Is there a cut-off date for posting a WIP? I'd like to take the weekend to brainstorm and come up with an idea.
Post by: treminaor on July 01, 2015, 03:29:12 am
Is there a cut-off date for posting a WIP? I'd like to take the weekend to brainstorm and come up with an idea.
There is no entry deadline, you just have to finish the map before the due date and post regular updates of your progress to prove you didnt start the map before the contest began.
Post by: SparkyMcSparks on July 01, 2015, 06:07:36 am
Can I release the Zombie Campaign mod (http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3010.msg30278) I was working on and people can use that to make a map for without having to worry about scripting at all? It isn't a "map" that has been previously worked on, so not sure if people can use other "mods" that have been started prior to the contest.

Note: Zombie Campaign isn't done, but my free time is coming back now with my schedule at work, so I'll have time and motivation to get it working at a good state well before November. In meantime I can directly help anyone using it while working on the mod. I won't accept any prizes since I'm not interested in that, goes all to the mappers.
Post by: treminaor on July 01, 2015, 06:38:34 am
Can I release the Zombie Campaign mod (http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3010.msg30278) I was working on and people can use that to make a map for without having to worry about scripting at all? It isn't a "map" that has been previously worked on, so not sure if people can use other "mods" that have been started prior to the contest.

Note: Zombie Campaign isn't done, but my free time is coming back now with my schedule at work, so I'll have time and motivation to get it working at a good state well before November. In meantime I can directly help anyone using it while working on the mod. I won't accept any prizes since I'm not interested in that, goes all to the mappers.
I don't see why not, UGX Mod is allowed so really any mod is allowed.
Post by: CrazyRandomzZ on July 01, 2015, 11:07:02 am
i started my map like 2 weeks ago can i still enter?
Post by: HitmanVere on July 01, 2015, 11:08:58 am

No, since it was already started
Post by: CrazyRandomzZ on July 01, 2015, 11:12:06 am
No, since it was already started

:( :P

i mean i havnt even started it yet :P so far i have only tested some ideas for the map itself. :/
Post by: fatboypro on July 01, 2015, 02:44:56 pm
am i allowed to do multiple different areas to hold out? ex. you get teleported to a new area every 5 or 10 rounds.
Post by: tomikaze on July 01, 2015, 03:31:09 pm
am i allowed to do multiple different areas to hold out? ex. you get teleported to a new area every 5 or 10 rounds.
If there is like a progression in the map of you eventually making your way to a final last stand/survival area then that is fine but if you are just teleporting to a new area every few rounds that doesn't really fit the theme.
Post by: fatboypro on July 01, 2015, 05:00:00 pm
OK thanks. I just wanted to know before I started develepment :D
Post by: tomikaze on July 01, 2015, 09:06:35 pm
I think it would be really cool to see a map where you start of with some very basic weaponry at your disposal and you have to protect your fort and then every few minutes there is a break in the action with a timer counting down until the next wave comes (Killing Floor). After every few waves more guns & perks become available to purchase, so it's like you are barely surviving, just praying that you can make it to the next break in the action hoping that it unlocks something good.
I think that a system like this could give players a real feeling of progression and accomplishment.
Post by: fatboypro on July 01, 2015, 09:20:21 pm
I think it would be really cool to see a map where you start of with some very basic weaponry at your disposal and you have to protect your fort and then every few minutes there is a break in the action with a timer counting down until the next wave comes (Killing Floor). After every few waves more guns & perks become available to purchase, so it's like you are barely surviving, just praying that you can make it to the next break in the action hoping that it unlocks something good.
I think that a system like this could give players a real feeling of progression and accomplishment.
How did you know? I'm doing something alot like that.
Post by: MrSlagovich on July 01, 2015, 10:12:25 pm
Not with the map you started 2 weeks ago, no. You can still enter just not with that map.
Post by: BashTheOutcast on July 02, 2015, 04:37:22 am
how can you edit your topic or you have to make a new one?(for the WIP to update peeps)

Double Post Merge: July 02, 2015, 04:37:38 am
how can you edit your topic or you have to make a new one?(for the WIP to update peeps)

Post by: treminaor on July 02, 2015, 04:39:02 am

Double Post Merge: July 02, 2015, 04:37:38 am
You have to have more than 20 posts in order to edit your own replies. You can request for a moderator to edit your topic by using the Report to Moderator button on the first post of the topic. Sorry for the inconvenience but this is to control spam from people who create new accounts to harass other people on the site.
Post by: KDXDARK on July 02, 2015, 06:12:17 pm
if we use music on this maps, it must be youtube safe? or we can add whatever we want?
Post by: treminaor on July 02, 2015, 07:05:55 pm
if we use music on this maps, it must be youtube safe? or we can add whatever we want?
If you don't use Youtube safe music you should at least make it very clear in the map that YouTubers need to mute the music channel for your map. But you can use whatever music you want, this isnt a youtube competition.
Post by: spearhead on July 02, 2015, 07:35:46 pm
AWSOME, HOPE FOR SOME REALLY GOOD MAPS. GOOD LUCK ALL YOU WITH MAPSKILLZ ... AND YES IM SHOUTING
Post by: fatboypro on July 02, 2015, 09:03:05 pm
AWSOME, HOPE FOR SOME REALLY GOOD MAPS. GOOD LUCK ALL YOU WITH MAPSKILLZ ... AND YES IM SHOUTING
WHY ARE WE SHOUTING?
Post by: treminaor on July 06, 2015, 06:17:48 am
Still working on the logo iwi package, been really busy the last few days. It'll be ready soon.
Post by: LordofDarkness on July 06, 2015, 07:24:48 pm
$500 dollars is very generous.

I wish i got my new pc so i could enter :(   

This year i lost but 2016 will be mine  :troll:

Good luck to everyone entering this year :)
Post by: treminaor on July 07, 2015, 03:11:44 am

Required Contest Logo Files

dl.dropboxusercontent.com

To install the files, open the RAR file and drag both the map_source and raw folders into the root of your mod tools directory. There are two prefabs included within _prefabs/ugxmods_contest_2015. The logo textures can also be found by setting your Texture Locale to Seelow in Radiant. Make sure you include the images folder in your map so that the textures show up in-game!
Post by: treminaor on July 08, 2015, 07:26:52 am
great so i (being my hasty idiot self) posted a wip for my map that has been in progress for about 2months. it has been disqualified. yes i know jumped the gun a little bit there :poker: . and im fine with people tellign me the rules and such but when they go too my youtube channel, use my email, private message me hatemail on steam. that is when the line is crossed. they send me paragraph long messages. about me being a tryhard prick and such. but one of them i'm guessing doxed me got my home address. and i know he has it cause he sent it too me in a pm on steam. if i did something wrong i'm sorry but this is bullshit. they also remove their messages from youtube within an hour of posting. this is bullshit and fuck this crap.
We have a very strict policy about revealing people's personal information here on UGX:

10. You will never threaten another site members' personal property, family, or life.
This includes disclosing personal information such as IP Addresses, home addresses, names, phone numbers, DDOS attacks, etc. Threatening or committing any of these actions via private message or otherwise will result in a immediate permanent ban from the site. This behavior is completely unacceptable and in most cases illegal.
Unfortunately when this type of behavior happens outside of the confines of this website, it is out of our control/jurisdiction/responsibility.

It's very disappointing to hear that there are people doing that to you, but you should be very careful what information you post about yourself on the internet.
Post by: treminaor on July 08, 2015, 03:25:09 pm
not to be rude but you do know what doxxing is right
You do know that someone can't just magically find your address if it's not public information right?
Post by: Bwc66930 on July 08, 2015, 05:29:06 pm
to be able to make a gmail account it is required to give your street address as does steam.
I never had to for my steam and Gmail :P
Post by: treminaor on July 08, 2015, 05:32:19 pm
to be able to make a gmail account it is required to give your street address as does steam. but either way the guy is an asshole. and you want to know what he wanted in return the deletion of my map. fuck that i called my bank and informed them of my card number being stolen. so they got me a new number and put my old number on a quarantine. if anybody uses my card it will get an exact gps location of their current position and if they are on a pc or cellphone it will track it as long it is in service. so i think i'm good there.
I've never had to give my address for anything except PayPal, shipping information, and domain name registration. Gmail does not require an address and neither does steam.

Now we're talking about bank cards? What? I'm honestly starting to doubt this is even real, it sounds like you're making it up. Regardless we don't need to hear any more about the situation because it's not our responsibility and there's nothing we can do to help you. This topic is for discussing questions regarding the map contest, not you being doxed.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 08, 2015, 07:58:51 pm
to be able to make a gmail account it is required to give your street address as does steam. but either way the guy is an asshole. and you want to know what he wanted in return the deletion of my map. fuck that i called my bank and informed them of my card number being stolen. so they got me a new number and put my old number on a quarantine. if anybody uses my card it will get an exact gps location of their current position and if they are on a pc or cellphone it will track it as long it is in service. so i think i'm good there.
lol, im a fraud agent and know for a fact no bank would ever know, or give you a GPS location of usage on your card. They will tell the police whatever they know, but not you

Also once a card is blocked, its blocked by mastercard/visa, so if used in a shop would just say "Retain card" to the retailer and nothing more, there is no such thing as "card quarantine", its either blocked or not, and in order to have a new card? It "must" be blocked

Also I dont know how your card came into this at all

These sites only take that info - as "payment" info, and therefore is held under the companies maximum security protocols under the data protection act. It is only "ever" provided to your bank, as proof of identity when you purchase something through these sites. The info is not in the public eye, so like Trem said, this cannot be how he got it anyway
Post by: anthony.morello2 on July 10, 2015, 04:16:05 am
where will the maps be posted so I can play and vote for them?
thanks
Post by: gamer9294 on July 14, 2015, 07:04:11 pm
hi,

I have a question about the contest logos?

you may use the same logo in several places?

or only to use the logos one time?

it is only a question :)

best regards,
Gamer9294
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 14, 2015, 10:45:36 pm
Must have at least one UGX-Mods logo and one ZomMods logo in a visible place in the map. Maps which do not make an attempt to follow this rule will be disqualified.
Post by: gamer9294 on July 14, 2015, 11:19:36 pm

thank you for the comment,  sorry I have overlooked, excuses.

thank you for it :)

best regards,
Gamer9294
Post by: Scobalula on July 31, 2015, 10:16:46 am
hmmm i didn't know that. i was just quoting what the guy at my bank said, and he said that the card that was attempted to be used, they would be informed. The rest was me glorifying it a bit.(i apologise) i got my card swapped just in case. I apologise if this all sounds fraudulent, but it did happen. at the time of typing i was panicked and pissed off. i guess swapping my cards was a little overboard. but in the end i it was a little annoying. as it turns out the guy sending me messages was my friend yianne. (super dickish prick friend but a friend either way) as you can guess the way he got my address and such was through well coming to my house.
I've never had to give my address for anything except PayPal, shipping information, and domain name registration. Gmail does not require an address and neither does steam.

Now we're talking about bank cards? What? I'm honestly starting to doubt this is even real, it sounds like you're making it up. Regardless we don't need to hear any more about the situation because it's not our responsibility and there's nothing we can do to help you. This topic is for discussing questions regarding the map contest, not you being doxed.
Post by: DeletedUser on July 31, 2015, 10:33:07 am
I am removing my other comments to prevent further arguments and ask that the others follow in my stead and remove their quoted comments as well. I apologize for the inconvenience.  thank you for your time and cooperation.
Post by: JBird632 on August 04, 2015, 07:55:27 am
This is not stated in the rules, but I'm assuming we can post videos of our contest maps and not get disqualified.
In the previous contest we weren't allowed to post videos until the map was released, does that apply here as well?
Post by: treminaor on August 04, 2015, 05:06:37 pm
This is not stated in the rules, but I'm assuming we can post videos of our contest maps and not get disqualified.
In the previous contest we weren't allowed to post videos until the map was released, does that apply here as well?
That was only the YAW contest because it would affect their views on the videos. You're free to post videos.
Post by: brandontr3 on October 06, 2015, 05:56:35 pm
I wanna submit my map for this contest but there's no way I'll be done by Nov 22nd :(
Post by: KDXDARK on October 22, 2015, 02:49:48 pm
only 1 month left guys :D

Jbird632 leave the contest   :please:
Post by: RadimaX on November 22, 2015, 10:13:01 am
I see 3 submitted finished maps and people say its the last day of the contest...Hope to see submissions rolling in now and people not slacking just because its a weekend  :alone: imagine working on a map 3 months then come the day after?

I would put like atleast 49 alarms on my phone atleast so i wont forget it haha :P
Post by: Noahst on November 23, 2015, 01:50:27 am
yeah i submitted mine on the original wip but its not showing up on the list of compleyed maps :( how do i make the topic show up as new?
Post by: JBird632 on November 23, 2015, 01:54:46 am
yeah i submitted mine on the original wip but its not showing up on the list of compleyed maps :( how do i make the topic show up as new?
I believe Trem or another mod has been adding them to the top. Just give it a little bit.
Post by: treminaor on November 23, 2015, 08:07:28 am
The contest deadline has now passed, all released maps have been stickied in the contest section for easy access and the remaining unreleased map topics have been locked and marked as Withdrawn.

If you are the owner of one of the locked unreleased topics and plan to continue developing your map, we can unlock your topic and move it to the normal WIP section. Please PM a staff member to request this.

I will begin working on the poll topic now, it should be up within 24 hours. The staff and I want to do our best to make sure the 10 submissions all follow the rule requirements before we give you the opportunity to vote on them. Wouldn't want a winning map to be disqualified later on due to technicalities.
Post by: Scobalula on November 23, 2015, 08:43:49 am
The contest deadline has now passed, all released maps have been stickied in the contest section for easy access and the remaining unreleased map topics have been locked and marked as Withdrawn.

If you are the owner of one of the locked unreleased topics and plan to continue developing your map, we can unlock your topic and move it to the normal WIP section. Please PM a staff member to request this.

I will begin working on the poll topic now, it should be up within 24 hours. The staff and I want to do our best to make sure the 10 submissions all follow the rule requirements before we give you the opportunity to vote on them. Wouldn't want a winning map to be disqualified later on due to technicalities.

Awesome, I guess I need to get playing them. :D
Post by: daedra descent on November 23, 2015, 11:43:18 pm
Your map(s) must be fully functioning, and tested, with no glaring issues or game breaking bugs. We will disqualify any winners if we believe their maps do not follow this rule.

Would World at War flipping out like in Requiem count as a glaring issue or a game breaking bug? Just kind of wondering since atleast three of the competition maps that i've played so far has this issue and are unplayable unless you mess with your settings.
Post by: treminaor on November 23, 2015, 11:49:01 pm
Would World at War flipping out like in Requiem count as a glaring issue or a game breaking bug? Just kind of wondering since atleast three of the competition maps that i've played so far has this issue and are unplayable unless you mess with your settings.
Since this isn't something mappers know how to fix... obviously we can't hold it against them.
Post by: treminaor on November 24, 2015, 03:33:41 am
We're still working on approving the contest submissions for the vote - there's at least one may that may be disqualified and we're waiting on a response from the mapper to verify.
Post by: Ramiabdh on November 24, 2015, 09:54:02 am
Will a topic be created for combining the polls of all the contest maps or each poll will be added in its map's topic?
Post by: Lukkie1998 on November 24, 2015, 10:00:20 am
Will a topic be created for combining the polls of all the contest maps or each poll will be added in its map's topic?
No, one new topic will be created having a poll with all approved contest maps.

Lukkie1998
Post by: mxtxm on November 24, 2015, 10:12:43 am
No, one new topic will be created having a poll with all approved contest maps.

Lukkie1998

I'm guessing that we're just waiting to see what maps get approved.
Post by: Lukkie1998 on November 24, 2015, 10:42:42 am
I'm guessing that we're just waiting to see what maps get approved.
Exactly, it would be a shame if a map gets the most votes and then gets disqualified because it was not following the rules. We're doing our best to have all maps approved within 24 hours.

Lukkie1998
Post by: Ramiabdh on November 24, 2015, 04:24:17 pm
Exactly, it would be a shame if a map gets the most votes and then gets disqualified because it was not following the rules. We're doing our best to have all maps approved within 24 hours.

Lukkie1998

Then can I suggest making a list of honorable maps, that got disqualified. It would be a shame if cool maps get disregarded cause they didn't meet the conditions said earlier. ;)
Post by: Lukkie1998 on November 24, 2015, 06:44:33 pm
Then can I suggest making a list of honorable maps, that got disqualified. It would be a shame if cool maps get disregarded cause they didn't meet the conditions said earlier. ;)
IF a map would get disqualified, it would just be released as a normal map. But how it's looking now no single map will be disqualified. We're judging about the last one and will then release the poll :D

Lukkie1998